Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 15:42   #7876
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Since you have put this question, let me tell you YES it is worth the wait. You can discuss with any XUV700 owner and 99% will give you this same answer. The abundance of power at your disposal, the stability and the composure along with the almost silent cabin will bring a smile every time you take this beast out on the highway. As an automobile enthusiast, you won't be able to resist this temptation.
I would completely agree with Sommos here. I come from a long line of diesels (Tata Indica V2, Opel Astra, Toyota Fortuner). These heavy torque belchers were a pleasure to drive both in the city and on the highways and I had to part with them over the years with a very heavy heart.

Due to particularly tight restrictions on diesel vehicles in NCR, I was in the market for a replacement petrol motor over the last year or so. Now, my previous ownership of petrol motors was nothing much to write about (read Hyundai i10, Honda City ZXi). They were silent, refined motors but never felt exciting to drive like my diesels. So, reluctantly, I started looking at the cars on offer in the 20-30 lac range (Kia Seltos and Sonet, Hyundai Creta and Alcazar, MG Hector, Renault Kiger etc.). I remember, by the end of the penultimate test drive (it was MG Hector), we had almost made up our mind.

While driving back from ostensibly our last test drive, I just suggested half-heartedly that we try out XUV700 petrol. While I had mentally discounted XUV700 already (For some reason, CarWale.com indicates that it has a hydraulic power steering and, for me, hydraulic power steering was a big NO. Also, the much-maligned Mahindra dealer experience was at the back of my mind.), we still decided to take a chance and test drive one last car before making the booking.

As it turned out, the last test drive of XUV700 AX7 L Petrol AT proved to be cathartic. First of all, getting to test drive a car and, that too, the variant of our choice, was a first for me at a Mahindra dealership. I must thank a very enthusiastic SA at Koncept Mahindra for making it possible. To put this in perspective, my earlier attempts at getting a test drive of the Thar at a different branch of the same dealership had failed - THRICE! It was a dream that died young and unfulfilled.

Secondly, the car itself was a delight. Both I and wifey were impressed with the driving dynamics of the petrol motor. It was silent, peppy and eager to break free. The steering was light. The ride quality was planted with almost no body roll (coming from B-o-F Fortuner, it was a new experience for us). And then there was ADAS. For wifey, that was the most decisive factor.

To cut a long story short, we booked XUV700 AX7L AT in May 2022 online (the same day we took the test drive), went through the agony of watching the Mahindra booking website going through its various moods and being constantly on the backside of the dealership, M&M customer care and the area sales manager. We finally got the car delivered to us in Nov 2022. Not too bad considering the customer promised date of delivery was June 2024.

It has been around 3 months and over 1100 km of driving this petrol motor. And I must say, I am a convert. I look forward to driving the car everyday. The driving experience has been superior in many aspects to my earlier diesel steeds. This is truly an enthusiast’s car.

There are no niggles in my car so far (touchwood!). I can live with a couple of missing features (rear sequential turn indicators, Apple Car Play) for some more time. Average fuel consumption has been hovering around 10 kmpl (70% city, 30% highway). And I have some new found respect for petrol motors and for M&M for this commendable effort.

While waiting for our XUV700, we were also tempted to book Toyota Hyryder (booked and cancelled) and later, Toyota Hycross. However, it turns out we were right in not going for either. It appears that, in true Toyota style, the company has decided to live off its brand value while disappointing folks with the quality of interiors, size of alloys and distribution of features across variants. So, we are feeling a lot better about our decision to go with XUV700 these days.
roadmuncher26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 16:34   #7877
BHPian

I always have this doubt.
When I see some people commenting that they have decided (for whatever reason they have) to book HYcross/Hector/Compass/Safari etc, what the hell are these people still doing in this thread and commenting "Ah..that is why I booked the other one".
Fine guys they are. They should move on and don't linger in this thread. This thread is for unfortunate souls like us who are using the 700 or waiting for the 700 delivery. Atleast those people need not concern themselve with niggles & problems of 700 anymore.
Right ? Or am I being too harsh ?
lark63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 17:15   #7878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
When I see some people commenting that they have decided (for whatever reason they have) to book HYcross/Hector/Compass/Safari etc, what the hell are these people still doing in this thread and commenting "Ah..that is why I booked the other one".
Fine guys they are. They should move on and don't linger in this thread. This thread is for unfortunate souls like us who are using the 700 or waiting for the 700 delivery. Atleast those people need not concern themselve with niggles & problems of 700 anymore.
Opinions matter, else there will be an official review and we can close the thread right there.

However once in a while comes a vehicle that would blow the competition out of the water and then some, so if you have a booking for XUV - hold onto it, if you already own it, consider yourself lucky and enjoy it - it's that simple.

Red is my new favorite color apart from white for XUV7OO
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 00:45   #7879
Senior - BHPian

Dear folks, I had been for a long drive for 3 days recently, in my return journey I noticed that the e-sim on the car has just gone dead and there was no signal.
I came home and just parked it thinking the normal restarting of the car will work and fix any issue whatsoever in the infotainment system.

But now after a week since this instance, the e-sim still fails to connect to the network. Has anyone else faced such issue and if so how to fix this? Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 01:23   #7880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Dear folks, I had been for a long drive for 3 days recently, in my return journey I noticed that the e-sim on the car has just gone dead and there was no signal.
I came home and just parked it thinking the normal restarting of the car will work and fix any issue whatsoever in the infotainment system.

But now after a week since this instance, the e-sim still fails to connect to the network. Has anyone else faced such issue and if so how to fix this? Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
Please check in settings if Service is mode got on by any chance. It happened with me once. In that case just make the option off and it may work.
Old 12th February 2023, 10:04   #7881

AX7 L PT A

I have driven the car for 10k kms now. I have a doubt that may have been answered before.

When I start the car in the morning the rpm line first goes above 1000 (around 1200-1300) and remains there. If I drive the car from this the acceleration is high even on lightest of touches. The engine sound is also high.

If I wait it takes around 30-40 seconds for the rpm line to come below 1k and then the acceleration is smooth and engine sound is also low.

Is this normal? It hasn't bothered me much but is it something that only plagues me? I talked to service centre and they say its normal for AT.

Thanks!
Old 12th February 2023, 11:50   #7882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Jean-Luc View Post
AX7 L PT A

I have driven the car for 10k kms now. I have a doubt that may have been answered before.

When I start the car in the morning the rpm line first goes above 1000 (around 1200-1300) and remains there. If I drive the car from this the acceleration is high even on lightest of touches. The engine sound is also high.

If I wait it takes around 30-40 seconds for the rpm line to come below 1k and then the acceleration is smooth and engine sound is also low.

Is this normal? It hasn't bothered me much but is it something that only plagues me? I talked to service centre and they say its normal for AT.

Thanks!
I own AX7 P AT and corroborate your observations. It takes a bit long to bring down rpms and engine noise on cold start-up. And rightly so, you wait till system boots and engine settles down.
Sometimes I have driven immediately after start-up. This results in the car jumping off suddenly when you disengage handbrake. If you crank before all warning lights go off, the ICE hangs or doesn't work as expected.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 12:20   #7883
Senior - BHPian

In case the service mode is activated, i think none of the infotainment features would be working as far as i know.
So mine is a different case, all of the infotainment is working (including Android auto), except that the network symbol is dead on the infotainment none of the Alexa related things are working, and Adrenox app isn't getting updated with the latest data on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilisAdvento View Post
Please check in settings if Service is mode got on by any chance. It happened with me once. In that case just make the option off and it may work.
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 14:52   #7884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
I own AX7 P AT and corroborate your observations. It takes a bit long to bring down rpms and engine noise on cold start-up. And rightly so, you wait till system boots and engine settles down.
Sometimes I have driven immediately after start-up. This results in the car jumping off suddenly when you disengage handbrake. If you crank before all warning lights go off, the ICE hangs or doesn't work as expected.
Having driven Automatics I can mention that this is standard behaviour of most cars.
What works best for me and have read over internet too : Start the engine and allow it to idle only for the time it takes you to fasten your seat belt (a minute or two maximum). This ensures that lubricating oil gets to all of the engine's vital parts. Also, driving the car normally and avoiding hard acceleration during the first drive of the day brings the engine to a warmer temperature faster, and also reduces wear and exhaust emissions. Naturally, a little longer idle time is ok in winter.
If the RPMs are running higher (when not allowed enough time to warm up), this may result in jerks.
The more you drive the car in the day, you will notice the shorter time it takes to settle down to it's idling RPMs amd less jerky your starts will be.
Cannot comment on the relationship between a cold engine and electronics though.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 17:39   #7885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
In case the service mode is activated, i think none of the infotainment features would be working as far as i know.
So mine is a different case, all of the infotainment is working (including Android auto), except that the network symbol is dead on the infotainment none of the Alexa related things are working, and Adrenox app isn't getting updated with the latest data on the car.
In my case also Android auto was working, only the network symbol was showing dead and Adrenox was not connecting. I called the service centre and they suspected some problem with the esim , but asked me to check if service mode is activated. I checked and found that it was activated, not sure when it happened. But after I made the service mode deactivated in the console, it started working again
MobilisAdvento is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 18:19   #7886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
I resonate with your feelings.
I guess we tend to be biased if we own the particular car or have liking or certain reservations against a brand.
On Hector thread, when Hector's poor FE is discussed viz e viz XUV's I see people defending Hector, stating it is comfortable, laid back car and is for people who want to own brand Mahindra vs Brand MG, and luxury
In comparison with XUV, I neither see brand MG quite there nor I found Hector luxurious when I sat in. Soft suspension was bottoming out on rough patches. And XUV is pretty sorted without any serious niggle.
But that's my perspective. We agree to disagree. It's generally like on a thread, gang of owners praising their steeds and getting backed up by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Opinions matter, else there will be an official review and we can close the thread right there.

However once in a while comes a vehicle that would blow the competition out of the water and then some, so if you have a booking for XUV - hold onto it, if you already own it, consider yourself lucky and enjoy it - it's that simple.

Red is my new favorite color apart from white for XUV7OO
Well said. I consider myself lucky on getting my XUV delivered in 3 months.
While my friend who has booked red XUV7OO AX7L petrol in May 22, hasn't received it yet. He is very much frustrated with Mahindra. While other colors like White were offered to him, he is adamant on his color choice. Mahindra rubbing salt on the burn by hiking prices regularly. He is now seriously thinking to cancel his booking.
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 21:30   #7887
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the advise, today I too went into the settings and saw but i found that the service mode was not active but. But somehow magically the esim was back in action and the network came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilisAdvento View Post
In my case also Android auto was working, only the network symbol was showing dead and Adrenox was not connecting. I called the service centre and they suspected some problem with the esim , but asked me to check if service mode is activated. I checked and found that it was activated, not sure when it happened. But after I made the service mode deactivated in the console, it started working again
Old 13th February 2023, 12:00   #7888
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Hi Members!

If I want to upsize or need off road tyres for the AX7 AWD (235/60/R18), what options do I have? Because I know that 265 sections won't fit.
Old 13th February 2023, 12:12   #7889
BHPian

Quick question on sequential indicators: Are people getting calls from dealership or does one need to actively follow-up with them? In my first service, the person told me that the parts will specifically be allotted to my car and the showroom will call me when the parts arrive. Has that been the experience? Sorry if this has already been discussed.
Old 13th February 2023, 12:41   #7890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Very well said. Also disparate opinions prevents this forum from becoming a echo chamber (like most of the social media platforms). When we are fed similar opinion repeatedly we loose the appetite for criticism.
jampot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks