Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Re: 2021 Honda Amaze Facelift : A Close Look

The Diesel CVT was the ONLY selling point for the Amaze. Honda has decided to play 'pricey' in a market they have been consistently loosing share.

I understand there are lack of options in Diesel + proper AT (not AMT) space. However just a casual search and I see the Kia Sonet HTX 1.5 AT (diesel +TC) is priced at very similar levels. In the current market, the Amaze will find it really hard to sell.

Honda is the king of wrong variants and missed opportunities. Remember the WRV & No Diesel CVT - Common guys, you got this right in the Amaze 3 years back. I would have seriously considered this when I was in the market for a Diesel Auto about 3 yrs back.
charanreddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:16   #17

Shape of the recess for your index finger has been slightly altered:

This level of detail in the review of a facelift makes me fall in love with this forum all over again!

Coming to the car, though it looks smart, it feels lacking in a key aspect- the lack of adjustable headrests.
Tall people find fixed headrests of these designs really annoying as they dig into their necks and serve the complete opposite purpose of what they set out to be.

I also hope they changed the design of the wheel caps in the lower variants. The current ones look like the car is running on bicycle training wheels!
carcrazykid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 22:28   #18
BHPian

That's a huge price difference between the petrol and diesel. I personally don't think they did the right thing. They should have kept a sensible price difference between the two. I expected Honda to give it a pair of headrest for the rear occupants but they didn't do that either. At least a set of fixed but usable headrest (like the new city) would have been great. Honda seems to be losing their mojo slowly.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 22:40   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
And yes, I get it Honda, Indian customers like Chrome, and I won't turn my nose over it because the market is what it is, but that chunky chrome strip is like the Drishti potu / Bure Nazar stuff we get in India. It is horrible looking.
Exactly, the chrome on City, Amaze, even Taigun looks horrible. I wonder, whether it is demand from Indian customers or its perception by the OEMs.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2021 at 00:14. Reason: Quote trimmed.
overtaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 01:41   #20
BHPian

Great review, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Just a small observation, the power figure for current Dzire is actually 89 BHP as opposed to 82 BHP as mentioned here. Could you please make the correction in the attached chart?
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 05:02   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0RSEPOWER View Post
Just a small observation, the power figure for current Dzire is actually 89 BHP as opposed to 82 BHP as mentioned here. Could you please make the correction in the attached chart?
Corrected. Thanks.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 09:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
Great review as always. Were you able to open the fuel filler flap of the diesel car and check if they have switched to DEF as one of the rep's told me.
IMO the outgoing Amaze diesel mill was BS6 compliant and if that did not have a DEF tank this one would not have one as well. I think DEF is used for bigger engines starting from 2.0 L.

The LED lamps and the diamond cut alloys on the top end variant are the only noticeable changes to this facelift.
Old 26th August 2021, 09:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
IMO the outgoing Amaze diesel mill was BS6 compliant and if that did not have a DEF tank this one would not have one as well. I think DEF is used for bigger engines starting from 2.0 L.

The LED lamps and the diamond cut alloys on the top end variant are the only noticeable changes to this facelift.
They did have some problems with the DPF and that is why they switched to the DEF is what I was told.
Old 26th August 2021, 09:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the nice crisp review Aditya & Team. Remarkable how the reviews are interesting & great to read in detail - when the car has practically not changed at all! Great stuff. Rated it 5 stars.
Quote:
Foglamps are now LED units. The right fog lamp housing gets open vents, while the left side has them blocked out (visible in the previous image)
Is this simply because the horn is placed besides the RHS fog light typically in Honda cars? Or some other reason?
Quote:
Silver inserts replace the piano black pieces seen in the pre-facelift model. They add a little more contrast to the interior
Quote:
Just like the dashboard, the steering wheel is identical to the outgoing car's.
Again, silver inserts replace the piano black ones of the old car.
Personally I'm not at all liking this choice. It is too much silver finish in the cabin now. Un called for IMHO. Its similar in the door panels as well. And at least from the photos - the finish of it is not exactly very premium per se.
Old 26th August 2021, 10:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Seriously Honda, what is the point of removing the cruise control from Automatics? It's like Honda deliberately trying to flop it's models, so that they can calmly exit the market, giving excuses, like "Indian Govt and market are not suitable for us".
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:51   #26
BHPian

I found the front seat under-thigh support to be inadequate. I'm helping my friend to look out for a car and Amaze was the first preferred option. Though his budget was strictly around 8-9 lakhs, he is stretching it a bit and has booked a Brezza Petrol (M) VXI. It would be really helpful if any of the Amaze owners can comment on the driver seat comfort. The reason I'm asking is that if it's not so bothersome, I can request my friend to consider Amaze again which could help save him a considerable amount. Thanks in Advance!
Old 26th August 2021, 10:55   #27
BHPian

It's a tried and tested product. Competent too. The only two shortfalls in my books are:

1) Overpriced
2) 35L Tank

Can't really expect exceptional built quality at this price, especially from 2021 Honda India. A simple tyre swap to 185/195 should sort the skinny shoes.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:35   #28
BHPian

I think Amaze is a handsome looking sedan and the facelift has only made it look better.

But the real issue however is the overall feel of the car. The car feels kind of hollow and you can immediately feel its inferiority against the likes of Jazz or WRV when you are in the showroom. The interiors feels average with quality, the doors are light and the materials used flex with little amount of effort. And then the sound insulation, be it road noise or the traffic chaos getting in, Hondas are average here. Amaze more so. It can give a sense of not having a good ride when the suspension is actually pretty competent.

Make no mistake the car doesnt feel like 'cheap' in any sense but definitely Honda has watered down its class and quality.

Honda can definitely place Amaze as premium sub 4m compact sedan if it gets certain things sorted.

I still feel the automatics in Amaze are best in class. (Competition has shifted to AMTs) Engines are nice. Pretty sorted ride and handling combination. And ofcourse space management is Honda's strength.
Turbokick is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 12:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrGivUp View Post
I found the front seat under-thigh support to be inadequate. I'm helping my friend to look out for a car and Amaze was the first preferred option. Though his budget was strictly around 8-9 lakhs, he is stretching it a bit and has booked a Brezza Petrol (M) VXI. It would be really helpful if any of the Amaze owners can comment on the driver seat comfort. The reason I'm asking is that if it's not so bothersome, I can request my friend to consider Amaze again which could help save him a considerable amount. Thanks in Advance!
Personally, I had no issues with the front seat comfort (and I am 5'9"). I was actually thinking that the range of travel for the front seat adjustment (the up and down especially), is fantastic. This was keeping the height of our driver in mind (he is a short chap) who typically ferries my parents around. Having said that, the pertrol AT is made for sedate driving. The petrol MT does allow you to push it around a bit.
On the savings front, the maintenance amount published by Honda, certainly looks VFM (I suppose they use their own Honda branded oil as well to keep the costs low)
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 13:58   #30
BHPian

It's 2021 and still not a single Honda sub 4-meter car, in India, is equipped with the adjustable rear headrests! Back in the late 2010s, it was standard across all the variants in Jazz. Talking of the standard equipment, it's shocking to see only the top-most variant with rear-defogger. Another goof up is the absence of cruise control from the automatic variants. Fortunately, the ISOFIX child seat mounts are standard.
romil.shroff is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed