Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 13:14   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor Electric Review

Excellent Review, can someone explain what is Corner Stability Control. And how it is different from Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
Sivacar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

As others have said very good effort by Tata, getting in decent EV tech at reasonable prices. I also probably will go for an EV in next couple of years. But I will be fooling myself if I said it were for environmental reasons or lower running cost reasons.

All I will be doing is moving pollution away to another location where the coal burning plant produces electricity (recently PUC norms for these plants were relaxed I understand). Further where electricity is in short supply in most parts (witness DG sets and consequent pollution by them all over) should it not be used for its core purposes rather than mobility. What is the use to run DG set to produce electricity to charge an EV.

We have not even got around to proper recycling of lead acid batteries yet - lead is now ingrained almost everywhere in India. How will we treat toxic components of these new batteries - lithium, cadmium, polymers, etc. A lot of regulations over this must be brought in.

Last I checked Mumbai domestic electricity rates are way above Rs. 8/unit. 8.77+1.44+0.26. Add another 16% as duty on the whole. Comes to around 12-13/unit. Add 10-15% charging efficiency loss will actually be around Rs 15/unit. This is without FAC charges. These are a lot lower currently than in the past. That is why TATA fast charging costs Rs. 18-20/unit. It is actually just at cost. In some countries now EV running costs are actually higher than normal ICE car. That being said a lot of states offer lower rates for EVs so it is not easy to generalise.

Another aspect is low running - whether charge/re-charge cycles or time - just like tires/oil, batteries also deteriorate over time whether you use or not.

Another macro aspect is the economy. Let us assume 50% switch to EVs with consequent subsidy, etc. in next 3 years. What happens to the govt. earnings from taxes on fuel? It loses huge revenue on one side and hands out even more by tax breaks. So who will pay to make up the difference? Even more taxes on other items?

Just some thoughts for debate.

Moderators can put this in GTOs thread on EVs if thought fit.
sandeep108 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:23   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
All I will be doing is moving pollution away to another location where the coal burning plant produces electricity (recently PUC norms for these plants were relaxed I understand).
Moving the source of pollution to a few centralized location makes pollution easier to control. In the future coal/fossil fuel power plants can be upgraded to reduce emissions. That is heck of a lot easier than forcing hundreds of millions of vehicle owners to take action.

If electricity costs rise, supply will rise to meet demand too. The govt. is heavily investing in solar and renewable sources to meet demand. Electricity being essential to economy, you can expect unit costs to remain in check.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 19:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
While comparing fuel costs alone, for one to hit break even period (in comparison to Petrol variant) one has to drive about 63,000 kilometres and with about 10,000 km of annual usage it is 6 years away (excluding any interest cost for premium paid) If we factor in service costs and ever increasing fuel cost, the break in period may arrive sooner though.
Dude , get a Tigor EV then Nexon EV , save 2 Lakhs in this process and install a solar roof top of 4 KW from that money and use it for '' FREE" for rest of your life .
I am doing the same for my Nexon EV , your break even will start from day 1 and thet too with pure green driving miles .
quattroa4 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 20:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
Dude , get a Tigor EV then Nexon EV , save 2 Lakhs in this process and install a solar roof top of 4 KW from that money and use it for '' FREE" for rest of your life .
I am doing the same for my Nexon EV , your break even will start from day 1 and thet too with pure green driving miles .

Thanks for the unsolicited advise. I was only doing math and not seeking advise. In case you haven’t read here is my thread on Solar installation : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5019561 (Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant)

Just to share my credentials - I head India R&D unit of world’s fastest EV charger maker

So I advocate EVs any day and my perspective of cost per mile is much different from most!
Thilak29 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 23:03   #51
BANNED

Excellent detailed review I really appreciate Tata effort in introducing EVs in lower segment. Still EVs are long way to go. Hoping our government will push EVs and reduce tax.
Old 10th September 2021, 00:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Here's my report card of the Tigor EV.

Drove it from Vashi Station - Thane - Fort - Vashi Station.
AC on at all times.
Speed - keeping up with traffic at all times.
D mode 95% of the time.
S mode for overtaking.

Feel free to do the math if the Tigor EV is going to fit your commuting requirements.
Tata Tigor Electric Review-screen-shot-20210910-12.43.58-am.png
parrys is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 07:02   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Here's my report card of the Tigor EV.

AC on at all times.
Speed - keeping up with traffic at all times.
D mode 95% of the time.
S mode for overtaking.

Feel free to do the math if the Tigor EV is going to fit your commuting requirements.
Attachment 2205072
Your post makes no sense for non-Mumbaikars. You will have to elaborate a bit so that every member can understand the point you are trying to make.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I don't know much about Mumbai, but as per Google Maps, that's around 81 km. Please let us know if that is right, and also if you started at 100%, and it will help if you let us know how much was your average speed. Thank you!
Tata Tigor Electric Review-vashifortvashi.png
kartikthum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:05   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Excellent review and a standing ovation to Tata for bringing in the technology and finetuning it to keep up with times.

Well look at it this way. With the atleast 2,50,000 INR incentives by states and a flat 1,50,000 INR tax rebate by Income Tax, the price comes down to 9 Lacs for the top end variant, which is a deal breaker, specially in cities wherein you have heavy traffic, your left foot needs rest, petrol is 100+ and you have the option to charge your car in the office/home campus. This is rarely going to be someone's 1st & only car, but a 2nd or a 3rd car and therefore better than a 8 lacs Swift/Dzire as a 2nd car at home.
That is not a tax rebate. You get a deduction of upto 1.5 L on interest paid on loan taken for purchasing the vehicle. Again just the interest component, not the EMI. So basically say the interest component is 50k and if you are in 30% tax slab you will save roughly 16.5k including cess every year. Although the interest component will change every year and will go on reducing. So say roughly 60k-70k in tax saving over the period of the loan.
CripplingLeo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Your post makes no sense for non-Mumbaikars. You will have to elaborate a bit so that every member can understand the point you are trying to make.
Just the writeup would have made no sense to even Mumbaikars. Although going by the picture, I think he drove for 111 kms with 47% battery charge remaining and range showing 110kms. So a real world usage of 220 kms.
CripplingLeo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 10:00   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CripplingLeo View Post
Just the writeup would have made no sense to even Mumbaikars. Although going by the picture, I think he drove for 111 kms with 47% battery charge remaining and range showing 110kms. So a real world usage of 220 kms.
We can only wonder about the traffic conditions and average speeds during that journey. The trip may have been under 40kmph most of the way.

From my experience with the Nexon EV, I have to say that one needs to really baby the car and drive in a hypermiling kind of way (that gives you 30kmpl in your diesel Amaze or Altroz) to get 220km range. 180-200km on full charge is what I approximated in usual Delhi-NCR conditions if I drive normally and casually.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 10th September 2021 at 10:03.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 12:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikthum View Post
I don't know much about Mumbai
Started at 6am, with 100% battery charged.
Range displayed at 100% SOC was 249 km.

Included some typical traffic at toll booths & city highways (60-70 kmph).

The route mentioned is a very common office commute, so the Tigor EV has more than enough range for daily use.
For highway road trips, typical of EVs, a lot of planning & patience (for charging mid-way) would be required.

Last edited by parrys : 10th September 2021 at 12:03.
parrys is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 12:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivacar View Post
Excellent Review, can someone explain what is Corner Stability Control. And how it is different from Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
I have this doubt as well.
Old 10th September 2021, 16:31   #60
BHPian

Disclaimer : Have nothing against EV , am all for promoting go green initiatives.

But people who are doing calculations on returns aren't you missing one basic difference ?

With a normal fuel car what you fill is what you use, but not so with an EV.
What I mean is , say you fill 20 liters of fuel , whether you use it all on day 1 or just have a few errands for which you take it out the next 10 days each trip being < 6km at the end of day 10 it is not going to make much of a difference because no fuel goes wasted.

But with an EV you charge it to full charge (assume it pulled x units of electricity) you are not going to drain out the entire battery before the next charge. Say in the next 10 days your usage is minimal just a few errands of 6km each. The battery will still continue to drain on a daily basis and you keep topping it up. So there may have been a lot of charging cycles where you might have used a fraction of the available charge.

Now you always have the urge to charge it with the thought process being what if I suddenly need to use it ? (with a fuel car you don't have this worry.. if you need to suddenly use it , filling up can be done in a jiffy)

Last edited by Fillmore : 10th September 2021 at 16:37.
Fillmore is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks