Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 09:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Hyundai i20 N Line Pros

• Aggressive styling with distinctive touches that set it apart from the garden-variety i20
• Punchy 1.0 turbo-petrol motor with 118 BHP on tap
• Firm yet compliant suspension coupled with a weighted steering + paddle shifters + fruity exhaust note that make the i20 N Line fun
• Tasteful N Line-exclusive steering wheel, gear selector, red accents etc liven up the interior
• Feature-rich equipment list includes cruise control, LED projectors, voice-activated sunroof, wireless charging & more
• Spacious cabin with a 311 liter boot makes this a practical yet fun-to-drive car
• Price premium over the regular i20 is totally justified by the additions & improvements
• Safety kit = ESP, 6 airbags, rear disc brakes, Blue Link SOS, Hill Assist…

Hyundai i20 N Line Cons

• Although well-priced in relation to the i20 Asta variant, it is still an expensive hatchback
• Offering an iMT and not a proper MT on the i20 N Line is ridiculous!
• 1.0L DCT variant shows initial lag. Even otherwise, it’s not as explosive as VW’s 1.0 Turbo
• Some misses such as auto wipers, split folding rear seats…
• You absolutely need a tyre upgrade. The OEM rubber gives up easily
• This 3rd-gen i20’s styling can be polarizing, unlike the more neutral previous generation cars
• Dual-clutch ATs have had a troubled reliability record in India
• More of a warmed-up hatchback in terms of power & handling, rather than a “hot hatch” like an Abarth Punto

This review has been jointly compiled with Ajmat. Thanks to him for the expert observations and photography!

Introduction

Conspicuous by their absence in the domestic auto market are fun-to-drive, practical, hot hatchbacks that are within the reach of those who want something fast and fun, but can't dream of owning a Mini Cooper. The average Joe in India would think several times before plonking his hard-earned money into a premium hatchback when sedans and compact crossovers are within touching distance. The market, however, has begun to mature steadily and premium hatchbacks have gained acceptance over the years. The fun-to-drive hot hatch, though, has remained elusive.

Fiat was perhaps the only carmaker to have treated us to a proper hot hatch, by introducing us to the Abarth Punto. While it checked all the boxes, it did not find many takers (thanks to, you know, Fiat) and was eventually discontinued. Tata wanted a slice of the pie and appeared to have done everything they needed to do, to ensure that we get a fun-to-drive hatchback and introduced the Tiago JTP, but the company lost interest surprisingly fast. Priorities were elsewhere & it led to the eventual dissolution of Tata-JTP.

Hyundai has dabbled with hot hatches in the past. Having participated in the coveted WRC for the better part of the previous decade, and tweaking their existing line-up of cars to cater to enthusiasts in other markets, it has become increasingly clear that Hyundai is no stranger to the world of performance cars. In fact, Hyundai quickly established its N Division during the middle of the previous decade and promptly poached BMW M Division’s engineering chief Albert Biermann in 2015. His mandate was to do to Hyundai’s N Division what he did at BMW’s M department, during his long stint with the Bavarian marque. The intentions from Hyundai were pretty clear. And the introduction of the Hyundai i30N and Veloster N confirmed that.

Word on the street, since 2019, was that Hyundai is mulling the introduction of the N Division in the Indian market. The initial expectation was that the Korean carmaker would introduce the i30N in limited numbers and thereafter bring mid/entry-level products to the market. However, Hyundai appears to have employed the bottom-up approach by introducing their entry-level N Line version of the i20 and will continue to study + evaluate the market going forward.

Hyundai’s marketing material suggests that their ‘N’ models are born in Namyang and honed at the Nürburgring – hence the ‘N’ moniker. This may be true for their pure ‘N’ variants such as the i30N, the Veloster N, and maybe even the i20N. But this i20 N Line is merely scratching the surface and isn't much more than a basic representation of the full-fat double cream i20N. Think of the N Line variant as a performance package to the regular i20, akin to Audi’s S Line or BMW’s M Sport packages offered to their patrons as optional extras. These include mild tweaks to the suspension and trinkets on the exterior as well as the interior.

We frankly welcome it and hope that the i20 N Line's sales meet Hyundai's expectations, so they bring the more serious N stuff. The price premium over the regular i20 is reasonable in our opinion. What the i20 N-Line offers - visual enhancements, sportier exhaust, better suspension, etc. - is on the wish list of any enthusiast anyway. But what is unpardonable is selling the i20 N Line with an IMT, but not the MT! The DCT is, of course, welcome as enthusiasts are moving to ATs in a big way. However, the car absolutely must get an MT too. Hyundai, please correct this error ASAP.

Hyundai i20 N Line Price & Brochure

The N Line is available in 3 variants - N6 iMT, N8 iMT and N8 DCT priced at Rs. 9.84 lakh, Rs. 10.87 lakh and Rs. 11.75 lakh (ex-showroom, India), respectively. We feel, compared to the equivalent variants of the standard i20, these prices are quite competitive considering what the N Line offers.

You can download the 2021 Hyundai i20 N Line brochure here - Hyundai i20 N Line.pdf.

Exterior

The new i20's styling is a mixed bag and can be polarizing. Some may find the elements to be cluttered and too busy, while others may find it to be striking and aggressive. Well, it does look rather angry and aggressive when viewed head-on. The bonnet tapers downward and the sharp, angled headlights pour into Hyundai’s new wide set corporate grille. The grille itself contains (what appears to be) a series of chequered flags in place of the traditional honeycomb mesh that we are familiar with. You would also notice the N Line badge flanked next to the driver’s side headlight. The elements on either side of the grille below the headlights are designed to mimic vents and winglets affixed within the bumper. But it is these elements that give it that busy & cluttered look.

The side and rear profiles remain largely similar to the regular i20, with the exception of the N Line badges on its front wings and boot lid. The wing mirrors have been carved out to mimic the wind-tunnel-influenced mirror caps found on the BMW M cars, and this comes as no surprise to us considering that the former ‘M’ boss at BMW is now the ‘N’ boss at Hyundai. The standout styling details of the rear profile are the roof spoiler coupled with the curtain winglets flanking the rear windshield, the dark-chrome insert on the boot lid, and the twin barrel double-walled exhaust pipes poking out of the faux diffuser. Contrasting black skirts all-round, with integrated red streaks, wrap around the bottom half of the car. Brand new N Line specific 16” alloy wheels with machined spokes complete the N Line’s distinctive styling.

Hyundai offers a stunning shade called Thunder Blue that is exclusive to the N Line variant. A two-tone scheme with a gloss black roof is an optional extra.

Interior

Step into the i20 N Line and you are greeted by a sea of dark grey plastics and black upholstery. The standout elements of the interior are the lovely ‘N’ steering wheel and the ‘N’ gear selector, which are lifted straight from the i20N. Both these elements are finished in high-quality leather + plastic and truly help transform the otherwise regular interior. The red chequered-flag stripe and the ‘N’ embossing on the seats along with red contrast stitching also help distinguish it from the standard i20. Aluminium pedals and N-Line floor mats complete the ‘N’ themed cabin.

The large 10-inch infotainment screen is fairly easy to use, barring the strange placement of the volume control haptic buttons. Also, we did not like the BMW-inspired instrument binnacle/cluster and found it difficult to grasp at first glance. Simple dials would have sufficed. I guess we are just too old-school for the digital age? The all-black headliner is nice, but it does contribute to the overall darkness of the cabin. The top-end N8 variant is feature-rich as expected, and it even allows you to control the sunroof mechanism via voice commands. The door pockets are lined with piping for ambient lights that bathe the door-pads with soft ambient lighting. This does improve upon the drab interior ambience, but only just.

There is no doubt that it is a spacious and accommodating car. In fact, legroom, headroom and knee room are ample, allowing two 6-footers to sit one behind the other with wiggle room for both individuals. The boot can accommodate 4 soft bags or a weekend’s worth of luggage for 4 adults. Airport runs are not going to be a problem as the rear seat folds nearly flat to the floor and the parcel tray can be removed without a fuss. The major gripe we had with the interior, however, were the front seats. While the side bolsters were sufficient for the occasional lateral heaves, we found the under-thigh support and lumbar support to be only average at best, largely due to the short seat-squabs and inadequate cushioning. The rear seats too are a touch too upright and lack adequate support. Also, adjustable headrests seem to be made available only on the N8 variant for some strange reason. All things aside though, the i20 N-Line offers more room than most hatchbacks in this segment, thereby ensuring that the individual who buys this car for its fun-to-drive appeal is not short-changed in terms of practicality.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2021 at 13:40.
suhaas307 is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Driving the Hyundai i20 N Line DCT

Thumbing the start-stop button on the dashboard will bring to life the now familiar 1.0L, 3-pot T-GDI turbocharged petrol engine. Only now, the 3-pot thrum at idle is accompanied by a faint yet distinct burble from the exhaust pipes. It isn't intrusive at all, and unless you completely turn off the stereo and air-conditioner, you may miss the subtle new exhaust note. Hyundai cannot make it as loud as an after-market exhaust for 2 reasons = ARAI compliance & the fact that it's a mass market hatchback that even your energetic uncle Ashok might buy. Plus, in India, every car is a multi-purpose vehicle (school runs & grandparents included).

The i20 is the only car in the segment with a DCT. 7 ratios result in a superior spread of gearing and the transmission does feel decidedly superior to its rivals. The DCT gearbox is smooth & refined. Just keep in mind that dual-clutch ATs have had a troublesome run in India from the reliability point-of-view. Be sure to get that extended warranty.

Select ‘D’, ease off the brake pedal gently and the car creeps forward seamlessly, albeit without the urgency you may experience in a car with a torque-converter unit. There is a noticeable initial lag when starting off. Dab the throttle & the i20 N Line moves forward as the revs climb closer to 2,000 rpm and the exhaust note becomes more audible. Throttle response is acceptable for a small-capacity 3-cylinder turbocharged unit. Pottering around town with the stereo switched off & the air-conditioner’s blower on low will allow you to listen closely to the fruity exhaust note, and catch some of its aural details such as the faint crackles and odd pops on the overrun. Interestingly, the exhaust note went through various iterations & was eventually toned down quite a bit in order to obtain the necessary ARAI approvals.

Light accelerator input is all you'll need to commute in the city. The gearbox moves up early, while shifts are quick and smooth. Drive with a light foot & you'll never even know that the gears are being changed. They are almost imperceptible. The turbo-petrol offers brisk acceleration, while the power & torque on tap make the gearbox's job easier. Combine this smooth AT with the light steering & excellent ergonomics, and you have a sweet city ride. Downside? Hyundai's DCT is reluctant to downshift from 2nd -> 1st. Hence, you'll need to be patient if you want to suddenly close a gap in traffic (as an example).

Wring open the throttle and the exhaust note is quickly overpowered by the thrum of the 3-cylinder motor when the revs climb beyond 3,500 - 4,000 rpm. But that shouldn’t bother you as the boost comes in and you find yourself in the meat of the powerband. There is no shove, no drama, no push-back-into-the-seat feeling at all. Power delivery is quite linear as the revs build up, and the car feels quick, especially when in the mid-range. Wide open throttle pulls to the redline are fun, but not as much as that explosive 1.0 TSI under the Polo's hood. Also, beyond 4,000 rpm, the engine begins to sound coarse. Power completely tapers off after 5,500 rpm, with the motor redlining at ~6,500 rpm. After a few pulls, we quickly realised that the car is happiest in the 2,500-4,500 rpm range, where power delivery is strong.

The i20 DCT is a competent expressway cruiser. You can easily hit silly speeds and the punchy mid-range comes in handy for overtaking. Kickdown response time is average though. If the revvs are low, it takes a second or so for the gearbox + turbo to react. Sometimes, you'll find the gearbox to be hesitant to downshift too. But once the AT & turbo respond, this thing is very peppy. Will add that, when the engine is in the meat of the powerband, the reaction times are far lesser.

For a hot hatch, in ‘D’ mode, there is a slight delay in gear changes (whether upshifts or downshifts) when you use the paddles on the steering. This is no DQ200 DSG, that’s for sure! The shifts are smooth and not aggressive. This was done intentionally and specifically to ensure that the clutch-pack does not suffer from premature wear. Must add that the heavy flywheel forces the engine to hang onto its revs as the rpm needle take some time to fall when off-throttle. That said, kickdown while pottering around in ‘D’ can be addictive as the gearbox drops a few gears and the engine finds itself in the meat of its powerband, where it appears to be most happy. Using the paddles can be fun, and they are far more intuitive to operate than the paddles found in VAG applications. This is largely due to the size of the paddle body as it extends significantly in both directions, i.e. below and above the steering’s spoke, giving you the ability to quickly flick them either up or down irrespective of where your hands are on the steering. You can use "S" mode when driving hard, to hold gears till the red line. In manual mode, you can take the revvs to ~6,500 rpm. Keep in mind that it's tuned conservatively & won't allow aggressive downshifts if the rpm level is a little high.

Where we feel Hyundai missed a trick is they could have tweaked the ECU & TCU for a mild power bump and snappier shifts respectively, further improving the driving experience. Perhaps a dealer-level performance package with mild tweaks to the engine and transmission control units can be considered? Regardless, we are certain that enthusiasts will be exploring remaps for the engine & gearbox in the after-market.

The biggest blunder by Hyundai is offering the clutchless iMT instead of a traditional manual gearbox with three pedals, at least as an option! In a car like this, to have missed out on that option is absolutely criminal and unacceptable! When flying to Rajasthan for this test-drive, we were hoping & praying that the TD car allocated to us isn't an iMT! Hyundai-Kia are the masters of offering multiple variants for every car & we hope an i20 N Line MT is added to the line-up soon.

Suspension

Hyundai has not been lackadaisical in the steering & suspension departments. Setting off even at low speeds would reveal that Hyundai has worked on the steering. It is not feather-light and dead on-center the way it is in the garden-variety i20. There is some more heft & weight to the EPS, even at lower speeds. The steering isn’t exactly sharp, but it’s accurate enough to keep you interested. Return-to-center is smooth and not a violent affair.

Complementing the steering is the tweaked suspension setup. Hyundai confirmed they have not fiddled with the shocks' valving, but have increased the damping force of the struts, and it is more than just perceivable. The ride at low speeds feels noticeably firmer, but not stiff or unbearable. At no point during our drive did we feel that the setup was under-damped. If we were to put a number on it, we would say that the dampers are about 30% stiffer than in the Asta variant. It’s still fairly compliant over bad roads / undulations and that is largely due to the stock spring rates. The trade-off, as a result, is a fair amount of pitch & roll, compounded further by poor OEM tyres that gave up at the slightest suggestion of a fast corner or hard braking! Where this car truly shines is on deserted B-roads; one can fling it around corners and squirt it out of bends, while liberally using the paddles to keep the engine on the boil. The dynamics are noticeably better than a standard i20, while body roll is lesser too. It's like a warmed up hatchback (not a hot hatch). High speed stability is comparable to the standard i20, but not the European hatchbacks or an Abarth. The brakes themselves are effective to the point that they feel a touch over-servoed. There is a clear lack of feel and progression in the brake pedal, despite being effective.

Don't do anything silly or drive it like a race car though. Like most other mainstream hatches, mid-corner braking at speed can throw the rear off-balance and you are left wrestling the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line. Be aware that you are driving a warmed up family hatchback, and not an Abarth or Mini Cooper. What this car needs is an after-market tyre swap. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 STs, for instance, would transform the i20 N Line into a proper backroad bomber!

The combination of a weighted steering with flappy-paddles, firmer dampers, sharp brakes and a fruity exhaust has transformed a rather pedestrian family hatchback into something more fun, at an attainable budget and with daily usability. This is the kind of car you can buy to keep yourself & your family happy. In a market obsessed with kitna deti hai, we're just pleased to see such an "enthusiast edition" from India's no. 2 carmaker & hope it paves the way for some more serious "N" stuff. Tata, how about having another go at a JTP-esque car? Maruti, any scope of a better "RS"?

Last edited by Aditya : 9th September 2021 at 09:01.
suhaas307 is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai i20 N Line Exterior Images

The N Line looks quite aggressive when viewed head-on:

Tail-light along with its reflector element extends horizontally and across the width of the car. Also nestles a dark-chrome garnish that is exclusive to the N Line variant. 205 mm tyres would greatly improve the stance & grip; an upgrade that owners should strongly consider:

Hyundai's new corporate grille is finished in gloss black. Now features the N Line badge and chequered flag detailing:

Creases, cuts, winglets and faux vents only serve to collect dust and grime. It needn't have been this cluttered:

Glossy black front skirt now houses a streak of red to distinguish it from the "other" variants:

N Line badging on the front fenders as well:

Aggressive stance is most obvious from the front three-quarter angle. Red strip runs on the side skirts:

16" dual-tone alloy wheels are heavily detailed, with some spokes benefitting from a machined diamond-cut finish. The traditional 'H' on the center-caps gives way to the 'N' logo. Also notice how the front brake calipers are painted red...

..but the rear calipers get step-motherly treatment! Please do paint these a matching red on your car. Good to see rear disc brakes

N Line badge on the boot-lid, just in case you miss the 7 other badges and logos:

Gloss black faux diffuser houses a pair of lovely exhaust pipes:

A closer look at the twin tail-pipes and revised stainless steel silencer:

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2021 at 10:12.
suhaas307 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai i20 N Line Interior Images

Classy steering wheel lifted straight from the Hyundai i20N makes for an inviting cockpit:

Steering-mounted controls look & feel expensive. Notice the paddle shifters that extend below the spokes - a sweet touch!

We clearly can't get enough of this lovely steering wheel! The perforated grips, red contrast stitching and 'N' logo elevate it even further:

Paddles are mounted on the steering and not the column, as is the case with most mainstream cars:

BMW-inspired instrument binnacle looks modern, but also a bit confusing to understand. Whatever happened to well-designed traditional circular dials and needles?

Seats are a carryover from the lesser variants, and now wear N-Line upholstery. Lower support is lacking - our bums and backs were both sore after the drive:

Embossed 'N' logos paired with a chequered flag motif. Red contrast stitching & piping have been applied for good measure.

Aluminum pedals are a staple for any car with sporty intentions. N Line floor mats are reminiscent of old-school JDM car mats:

Subtle ambient lighting bathes the wireless charging pad in a cool red glow:

Smart 'N' spec gear selector is lifted from the international i20N:

Red contrast stitching and red piping to tie it all together. Notice the "sport" mode:

Rear bench gets the 'N' treatment as well, but misses out on that 'N' embossing. Adjustable head-restraints are found only on the N8 variant. The N6 gets fixed ones:

Disclaimer: Hyundai invited Team-BHP for the i20 N Line test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2021 at 11:07.
suhaas307 is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Aditya : 9th September 2021 at 09:03.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:20   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Superb review, thanks for sharing your experience with us, guys . Rating thread a full 5 stars! Suhaas, you have an enviable writing style.

Am truly happy to see Hyundai offering a more fun car in a market that is littered with the graves of JTPs, Baleno RS', Abarth Puntos, Figo S', 1.2 TSI & 1.6 TDI Polo GTs etc. We have to understand that, in India, most enthusiasts don't have pureplay pleasure cars idling in their garage. What the enthusiast drives is also something that his / her family has to be happy with (this is compulsory), and that's where the N Line looks appealing. You can buy it for fun, while your spouse / parents / siblings can use it for their commuting too.

Am calling for the car in Bombay to have some with it.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2021 at 09:23.
GTO is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:25   #7
BHPian

As the reviewer Suhaas mentioned, a colossal miss is the MT for this car. I wonder if automatic rev matching on the DCT and iMT had something to do with this decision? Or was it to price the base variant at a slight premium over the i20 Sportz iMT variant to attract the base Magna and Sportz crowd.

Either way, enthusiast crowd will crave for more if they end up buying this. Polo GT TSI or even the Nios Turbo are more bang for buck options than the N Line. The non-enthusiast crowd might only opt for this for the exterior looks. Someone considering the Asta or Asta (O) variants might go for this.

Oh and fantastic review. Rating this 5 stars.

Last edited by sleepyhead148 : 9th September 2021 at 09:32. Reason: slight grammar edits
sleepyhead148 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for such a great review.
Now the inevitable question - leaving all things like price, features etc. aside, which is more fun to drive - Polo or i20 N Line?
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:38   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Couple of questions..

1) is there a front crash-bar ? how have they camouflaged it behind the massive grille ?
2) is there under-engine armour ?

Couple of comments..

3) Nice to see that finally the giant has woken up and accepted that the steering and suspension in their cars cut no ice with someone who wants to drive spiritedly ; and then done something about it.
4) The number of references to Abarth Punto, and warnings about how this N-Line is not that - makes me smile with a smug-face (since I drive a Tjet linea).

Last edited by venkyhere : 9th September 2021 at 09:59.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Its good to see another hot (or should I say "warmed up"?) hatch come to India. Just the thing for someone looking for a sportier daily driver without compromising on practicality.
Now, if only Ford would think of bringing its RS range of cars, Toyota its GR and VW its GTI too. We'd all feel like a bunch of 7 year-olds in a toy store!
TheGearBox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for this detailed review Suhaas. I second GTO. You do have a very enviable writing style. Had to look up the good old dictionary as well a few times

I have massive respect for Hyundai solely because of the lengths that they have gone to in order to differentiate this N-Line from the vanilla i20 (yes VW are you listening?). The exterior and interior changes are very tastefully done, including that iMT gearlever (so wish it was a manual though). The change in suspension tune is also a welcome addition. These are things manufacturers seldom do here in India. Shoehorning a bigger engine and calling it a "sportier" version is what we Indians are mostly used to seeing.

On the downside, the 1.0 TGDI doesn't have the same sort of tuneability as the 1.0 TSI. Not to forget, the modification scene for the Polo is far ahead in India as compared to the i20 with tonnes of retrofits and performance upgrades up for grabs.

The i20 N-Line's pricing is a subjective topic. Relative to the vanilla i20, it's priced very well. All these extras for 50-60K are more than worth it. On the other hand, in terms of absolute pricing, there's no denying the i20 N-Line is overpriced just like it's lesser variants.

Last edited by vishy76 : 9th September 2021 at 10:02.
vishy76 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:07   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the nice review. I know many were making fun of Hyundai for making such a "toyish" entry into Indian market. This review proved this plain wrong. I am sure their pricing also definitely helped to change the mindset of the people to some extend. XUV700 effect, eh?! As GTO rightly said India needs more of these types of cars where an enthusiast and his/her family should love it alike!
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
including that iMT gearlever (so wish it was a manual though).
Can someone who owns an IMT let us know the Pros and Cons of an IMT over a manual car. I just dont think this mid-way gearbox would work well long term and possibly have a bias due to lack of understanding of the tech.

I have so many questions for this gearbox.
  1. How will we get out of tricky situations without the clutch slipping?
  2. How do we launch the car at a traffic signal drag race? (upto 60 kmph :P)
  3. What happens if the clutch gets old, how does the car behave with an old / weak clutch?

Asking this because the N-Line entry variant with the iMT looks to be great VFM!!
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:20   #14
anb
BHPian

Nice review. N Line is decently priced compared to regular i20. It would have been better if a comparison with Polo GT TSI included.

Last edited by anb : 9th September 2021 at 10:45.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Hyundai i20 N Line Cons

• Some misses such as an auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers, split folding rear seats…
Auto-dimming IRVM is in fact available on the N8 variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Can someone who owns an IMT let us know the Pros and Cons of an IMT over a manual car. I just dont think this mid-way gearbox would work well long term and possibly have a bias due to lack of understanding of the tech.

I test drove the normal i20 variant with IMT over the weekend. The gearbox felt fine at lower rpms in city traffic. But, when driven enthusiastically over higher rpms, the gearbox felt distinctly notchy and distracted from the fun of revving the motor out till the redline. This happened inspite of me backing off the throttle a little bit over gear changes just like we do in a manual gearbox.

On the other hand, the DCT gearbox of the normal i20 variant felt good enough and gets the job done. Upshifts are nice. However, it does not like to downshift in a hurry. The paddle shifters of the N-Line version may help here. This for me is the gearbox of choice when compared to the IMT.

Last edited by abhijeet080808 : 9th September 2021 at 10:51.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed