Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 11:00   #106

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestrok View Post
If someone can help me out on this, it would be great .
Should I go for pilot street 4 205/55 or primacy 4 st 205/55 considering my primary aim is grip and comfort ?
I had avoided the primacy 4 earlier as it was only available at 195/55 but I found 205/55 today. If someone could help me understand the pros and cons, that would be really helpful.
A 3rd option is pilot sport 4 205/50.

Let me admit that Suhaas' suggestion of Michelin Pilot Sport has been the "benchmark" for all my exploration when I was considering a tyre upgrade . Tyre Reviews and Tire Rack are good websites for comparison of Primacy and Pilot Sport . My 'amateurish' summary is as follows :

(1) Grip, Road feedback and Handling are significantly better with Pilot Sport than with Primacy.
(2) In Tyre Wear and Comfort , Primacy is significantly better.
(3) In "Buy Again" rating by customers , Pilot Sport is better.

However, one dealer told me that Pilot Sport is a latest offering of Michelin and the India as well as the global launch took place almost at the same time. All Michelin car (Passenger) tyres are imported but it seems they are planning local manufacture. Another dealer suggested a higher aspect ratio (55 against 50) for the Pilot Sport (taller sidewalls - lesser punctures.... he said) even though I do not know whether they would fit properly.

Two unrelated points , I would like to mention here.

(1) The sudden decision to de-register 10-year old diesel cars in Delhi w.e.f. Jan 1, makes me happy now that I have sold off my Skoda Yeti in spite of my very high reluctance .

(2) Thanks Amol, Icestrok , Pratyaksh and all others - I seem to be enjoying this 'getting drawn' into posting long conversations even though I had initially thought that I would go no further than posting a "senior citizen's" review of a likeable, sporty car......relatively uncommon in such forums.

Ajay Sengupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 09:39   #107
BHPian

Thank You for your input Ajay. I just spoke with Prithwi, he’s the owner of the channel that did the ownership review YouTube video a few pages back.

He told me that oem rims are too narrow for 205 profile tyres. I’m in bit of a dilemma over this now, I made the payment for the tires already, primacy 4 st , pilot sport 4 205/55 and 205/50 and I can basically choose between then and decide. But the 195/55 is cheaper by a decent chunk I hope to hear from the dealer about its availability or if they will refund the difference when I get it installed on Thursday. The wait to get the car back is frustrating me to no ends.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th December 2021 at 20:25. Reason: spacing for improved readability
icestrok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 10:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank You for your input Ajay. I just spoke with Prithwi, he’s the owner of the channel that did the ownership review YouTube video a few pages back. He told me that oem rims are too narrow for 205 profile tyres. I’m in bit of a dilemma over this now, I made the payment for the tires already , primacy 4 st , pilot sport 4 205/55 and 205/50 and I can basically choose between then and decide. But the 195/55 is cheaper by a decent chunk I hope to hear from the dealer about its availability or if they will refund the difference when I get it installed on Thursday. The wait to get the car back is frustrating me to no ends.
Would you know what is the width of OEM wheels?

If the wheel width is 6J, 205 can be the maximum upgrade. Having said that even 5.5J might house 205 but with tyre protruding slightly outside the wheels which has a risk of more tyre damage.

Last edited by sunikkat : 20th December 2021 at 10:13.
Old 20th December 2021, 10:58   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Would you know what is the width of OEM wheels?

If the wheel width is 6J, 205 can be the maximum upgrade. Having said that even 5.5J might house 205 but with tyre protruding slightly outside the wheels which has a risk of more tyre damage.
I could not find this information anywhere specific for the n line. I do see 6J mentioned on one site for the normal i20. If you don’t mind , could you let me know where I can get this info ? Is it directly on the alloy at some place ?
Old 20th December 2021, 18:08   #110

Could not check on the car as it is not with me right now. But the N line Manual page is attached...if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-20211220_175602.jpg  

Ajay Sengupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 19:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could not find this information anywhere specific for the n line. I do see 6J mentioned on one site for the normal i20. If you don’t mind , could you let me know where I can get this info ? Is it directly on the alloy at some place ?
Manual should have this. Normally you get it from the web too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Sengupta View Post
Could not check on the car as it is not with me right now. But the N line Manual page is attached...if it helps.
Going by this 16 inch wheels are 6J and hence 205 should not be a challenge

Last edited by sunikkat : 20th December 2021 at 19:16.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 19:23   #112
BHPian

Thank You Ajay , I found the same one but got confused by the 3 measurements !
Thank you Sunnikat for the help, that is a relief . I’ll install them on Thursday and have a look before confirming .

PS: I’m going to get the manual printed as well, the sheer amount of tech in here is overwhelming
Old 20th December 2021, 19:33   #113
Senior - BHPian

I will suggest Yokohama S drive 195/55 R16. DO NOT fit 205 on 6J. Wont sit on rims flush.

I am using same tyres on 6j 15" rims on my Palio 1.6.

Go with these tyres, you will enjoy driving them.

I am looking for a Fun AT hatch mid of '22 so this is the only option. And this will be the first thing I will do.

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-untitled.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 20th December 2021 at 19:36.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 08:37   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I will suggest Yokohama S drive 195/55 R16. DO NOT fit 205 on 6J. Wont sit on rims flush.

I am using same tyres on 6j 15" rims on my Palio 1.6.

Go with these tyres, you will enjoy driving them.

I am looking for a Fun AT hatch mid of '22 so this is the only option. And this will be the first thing I will do.

Attachment 2247695
Thank You, looking at the potential risks I’ve decided to go for 195/55 , I’m hoping the dealer would refund me the difference. The tyres I’ve ended up choosing is primacy 4 st.

On a side note, I actually had a dream of driving with the new tyres , I got a little too enthusiastic and drifted a bit but for most parts it was fun. I’m missing my first car waaay too much right now.
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:13   #115
BHPian

Got the car finally. It looks like a treat and drives very very differently now. I haven’t had much time to take pictures but I’ll hopefully get that time next week.
Here is the entire list of additions :

1. Feynlab Ceramic Ultra
2. Front and Rear Roav C1 dash cams
3. 7D matte black floor mat
4. Switched the horn as well
5. Michelin Pilot sport 4 205/50

Happy Christmas to you all !
icestrok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 14:03   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Sengupta View Post
Bringing to your attention a little mistake in the second para of the manual. It states that one must increase tyre pressure on ascent to altitude. BUT it is just the opposite: tyre pressure is gauge pressure and is always measured in relation to ambient pressure. So a decrease in ambient pressure will show an increased tyre pressure which needs to be reduced not increased.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=167

gives a better explanation than I could muster
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:16   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Bringing to your attention a little mistake in the second para of the manual. It states that one must increase tyre pressure on ascent to altitude. BUT it is just the opposite: tyre pressure is gauge pressure and is always measured in relation to ambient pressure. So a decrease in ambient pressure will show an increased tyre pressure which needs to be reduced not increased.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=167

gives a better explanation than I could muster

Yes you are right - it is quite misleading .

But it may also have something to do with the poor English in Korean / Chinese documents - for example if you insert the missing word "from" in the line .....if you plan to drive (from) a high altitude area.....then everything falls in line . Just my conjecture , though.

Thanks you pointed it out....did not know such a phenomenon existed and needs to be taken care of !

Old 24th December 2021, 23:21   #118

Some new insights :

I am in agreement - especially the spectacular fuel efficiency, the fine transmission, the ride and the handling .
Ajay Sengupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 20:56   #119
BHPian

I have a query regarding the side mirrors. Earlier I noticed it folding automatically when the car is off and locked. When I got close to the car it opened up.

Now, when I lock it it doesn’t fold automatically.

If someone can help me understand how this works, that would help.

I googled �� but it wasn’t of much help sadly. Or is this something I can find on the manual ? Im getting it printed out on Monday hopefully.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th December 2021 at 11:24. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 26th December 2021, 17:40   #120

Must be okay by now. If not , check the switch mentioned in the attached sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf i20-n-line 158.pdf (26.1 KB, 348 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks