Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 10:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
One way or the other, Hyundai continues to take the Indian market for a ride with a product which is supposedly a premium hot hatch with gizmos to boot but with a not so hot drivetrain. The interiors look nice and snazzy. Nice review for the car inside out.

Pricing a product on such a higher scale and yet not equipping it with a proper engine is a joke. But then, I can still see Hyundai laughing all the way to the bank with this one too. On a day, Ford is ceasing its manufacturing operations in the country, I can see folks in Hyundai chuckling !!
If they have to bring the real i20 N with 1.6 turbo etc, it would be a 20+ L car. It competes with the likes of Polo GTI, Fiesta ST abroad (Polo GTI was priced at 25 L when it was sold here).
But yes, they could have simply changed the mapping and bumped the power by 10-15 BHPs in i20 N Line.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 13:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The fact that the aftermarket support for Hyundais is absolutely abysmal and suddenly you would understand why such a dealer-level performance package makes sense! Hyundai, I hope you are listening!
Considering i20 is already running at a higher state tune of 120 bhp, not sure how much of a power increase can we expect with ECU remap with stock hardware. Plus the after market mod scene for Hyundai is not that great anyway.
Do we have any comparable stage 1 numbers from Hyundai Venue or Kia sonet 1 litre engines?
Old 11th September 2021, 14:44   #48
ais
BHPian

Quote:

I think Hyundai should offer an optional dealer-level performance package along with the N-Line comprising of:

1) ECU and TCU tweaks for a mild power bump, sharper throttle response and snappier gear shifts.

2) 10 mm lower springs with stiffer spring rates and beefier anti-roll bars to address the pitch, roll and sketchy handling at the limit.

3) bespoke sporty tyres made specifically for the N-Line variant to further help improve upon the average mechanical grip.

The fact that the aftermarket support for Hyundais is absolutely abysmal and suddenly you would understand why such a dealer-level performance package makes sense! Hyundai, I hope you are listening!
Not likely!

I just spoke with a mod expert. He says Hyundai has already squeezed out the maximum possible power from the engine. A 5 BHP bump is possible by tweaking the exhaust, but it costs Rs.40k aprox. So not worth it.

He will test drive the car on Wednesday and provide feedback

I am looking for a fun to drive car. I will check out the NLine next week on the Himalayan Expressway and provide feedback here too.

Already checked the Polo GT Turbo in Mumbai and yes, its a cracker. I did unmentionable speed on the new flyover from BKC to Eastern Express Highway, then drove on the EEH and found no shortcoming in the ride and handling areas.

I will also consider pre owned 320d F30 in due course. I'm in no hurry to buy a well sorted car in handling and ride departments.
Old 11th September 2021, 18:30   #49
BHPian

Thank you for the great and crisp review .

Of course this i20 N is not really a true N but neverthless its a decent effort to bring the N series to India by Hyundai. NO MT for this fun to drive hatch is a cardinal sin IMHO.The i20N makes more sense and appealing than the high end variants of the regular i20 (particularly the DCT).

No offense to any owners as this is purely my opinion and looks are subjective. The more I see the i20's face the more it resembles the famous Marvel character 'The VENOM'
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-venomfaceteethblackbackgroundartpicture_2880x1800.jpg  

Senna_sempre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 20:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

The N Line and X Line (KIA Seltos) variants with orange trim bits were launched almost simultaneously. I suspect this was planned by Hyundai/KIA to derive minimum order capacity from trim suppliers. Without the international spec LED headlights, the new i20 front looks wonky - add to that that the orange trim - sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 13th September 2021, 13:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Expanding N-Line in India, Interview with Tarun Garg Director - Sales, Marketing and service Hyundai India

- Will the 204hp i20 N come to India?

The time for the next couple of years probably is all going to be about N-Line range and will continue to study the market and bring full blown N cars at the right time.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th September 2021 at 14:05.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:49   #52
ais
BHPian

I test drove the i20 N Line today on the Himalyan Expressway from Panchkula to the first few curves (until the Hyundai staff got a bit jittery with the extreme testing). The car was with me and 3 staff members of Hyundai.

Lookswise, the car is better than in pictures. It looks good in white, the test car colour. The rear wheel arch looks wierd with too much gap.

I could not hear the exhaust notes at all inside at any stage. Outside makes no difference to me as the driver!

The steering is the best upgrade over the regular i20. It is heavier and precise. The suspension is firm and I had no trouble controlling the car in all situations- straight line acceleration and braking, accelerating and braking in and out of curves etc. Understeer is not prominent. The disc brakes are not progrsssive, but snappy and could have been better.

The turbo lag is the biggest problem with this car. It is less prominent in mid rev range, but on low, AND EVEN IN THE HIGHS above 4500 rpm, the turbo lag is well over 3 seconds. This is true for both Sports and Drive modes.

For some reason, the Reduce Speed warning flashed a few times at 90kmph- maybe it was the ESP at work.

Unless you are a hard core driver who likes to push machines to the edge, this car is worth considering. In the situation we are these days with congested highways, vague speed limits etc,, especially if priority is city use- its an option.

Last edited by ais : 16th September 2021 at 20:07. Reason: Correction
ais is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:47   #53
BHPian

I test drove the N Line this weekend. I'll reflect on my experience against my test drive experience of yesteryear's warm hatches, aka Tiago JTP and Polo GT TSI (1.2).

The suspension is STIFF for a Hyundai (well, SA said the only differences are, the cosmetics and the exhaust pipe tip is larger). All four contact patches communicate to you, through better suspension. But they just communicate, they're not extravert like in case of the JTP. The JTP felt like, it's looking for any opportunity to speak back to you through every touch - hands, feet, bottom, back. Metaphorically speaking, N Line is like a casual chat with a friendly colleague and JTP is like a casual chat with a true old friend. JTP made me truly open up.

Secondly, the DCT does not feel enthusiastic enough. It's sluggish. It can be compared to traditional automatics - not DSG (personal opinion). GT TSI feels like Honda in 3rd gear - keeps pulling and you wonder, shouldn't I change gear? But the DSG is doing its job, making the overall experience, like that of a free-revving motor. In N Line DCT, each gear shift is felt.

Other things to note:
  • S mode doesn't hold gear (according to SA, it does).
  • On steep upwards incline, where potholes demanded single-digit speed at the start, yet gear remained 2nd.
  • Unless you start from a stand-still, 1st is not engaged; due to this, the car feels a little lazy when picking up from crawling speeds

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2021 at 07:39. Reason: Just adding "Tiago JTP" at the start - thanks for sharing! Lovely post
akshye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 20:20   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post

The suspension is STIFF for a Hyundai (well, SA said the only differences are, the cosmetics and the exhaust pipe tip is larger). All four contact patches communicate to you, through better suspension. But they just communicate, they're not extravert like in case of the JTP. The JTP felt like, it's looking for any opportunity to speak back to you through every touch - hands, feet, bottom, back. Metaphorically speaking, N Line is like a casual chat with a friendly colleague and JTP is like a casual chat with a true old friend. JTP made me truly open up.
You should drive the abarth punto, it will feel like meeting your dear friend in a pub.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 01:35   #55
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's an i20 N Line sitting alongside it's faster sibling, the full blown i20 WRC, at Ambience Mall, New Delhi.

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_20210918_183827.jpg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_20210918_183934.jpg
//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 10:03   #56
BHPian

Yesterday, when I went to a cafe, I’ve seen a regular i20 Asta(O) and i20 N-Line parked together at the parking spot. After seeing both, I felt i20 N-Line looked much better than the regular i20 to my eyes due to that dual exhausts and loved those alloys as well, which looks hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-dbd3d20542284d978e3a146e953aa55e.jpeg  

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-2229d3f6a3e34e129e52fd3777a69f19.jpeg  

car_guy1998 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:42   #57
BHPian

Hyundai i20 WRC at a mall in Delhi.

Would have been an absolute treat to see one of these in real. 👀
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-7991b58be1ce4b77b950c15c81613753.png

Source: IG/achintyamehrotra
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Hyundai i20 N Line Cons

• You absolutely need a tyre upgrade. The OEM rubber gives up easily
I am just back from test driving the N8 DCT and really liked it. This is coming from an ex T-Jet owner. I just felt that it needed fatter rubber, but which size tires would go best with the stock alloys?

I think Hyundai has done a great job of balancing practicality and performance. I was very wary before going to the showroom and I was telling my spouse that I am not going to like Hyundai (my first car was a Santro, first gen). Even the busy creases all over the car - they look better in the flesh.

Had my mind set on a Polo GT. After the test drive, I was floored with the N8 DCT. There is no VW showroom here, but I saw an older Polo at their service center and it looks sad (both the service center and the car - sorry no offence meant to Polo/VW owners).

Taking a second look at the IMT before taking a call.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:36   #59
Team-BHP Support

BHPian & friend johy^ is looking at i20N line and we both searched, but could not find if the GB is wet or dry? Nothing was found here too https://www.hyundai-transys.com/en/product/pd_005.do.

Something is found here.
Quote:
“We have a 7-speed dry DCT in some of the Velosters, so we had to make sure the new transmission was going to fit that same area,”
Quote:
One of the areas in which the N DCT differs from other designs is in its use of two electric oil pumps (EOPs), which Link says offers efficiency gains over using a mechanical oil pump as the main source of control pressure for the hydraulic system.

“The first EOP is for the control system – gear and clutch actuation. That pump is also connected to an accumulator so we can run a lower duty cycle on the pump and turn it off periodically. The other electric oil pump is tied to the lubrication system – for the gearset and for cooling the double clutch assemblies.”

The actuation method for the two clutch packs is another key feature. Instead of traditional piston-type actuation, the N DCT uses a concentric slave cylinder as the means of clutch actuation. “There’s an efficiency benefit from less hydraulic leakage and fewer issues with seal friction than you’d have with piston-type actuation,” says Link.

Meanwhile for gear actuation, gearshift cylinders provide a direct, electromechanical connection to the shift fork itself, leading to a faster response time.
I just hope, it is reliable and would suggest people buying to get the max warranty coverage available.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:48   #60
Team-BHP Support

It's a dry clutch DCT same as found in regular i20, Verna, Venue and Sonet.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed