Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 13:02   #136
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 440 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I know for the fact that Force can extract very good performance out of its engines as seen in Traveler and particularly Traveler 26 - those things can keep up good pace in the right hands.

But that was not the case with their Gurkha, it wasn't a very enthusiastic performer in comparison to Thar CRDe. Now with mHawk \ mStallion under the hood, forget it.
Right - In my experience as an overnight passenger in the Tempo Traveller on many weekend trekking trips, I noticed a smoothness and pulling ability that I much admired at the time. Fingers crossed for the new Gurkha!
Ragul is offline  
Old 29th September 2021, 13:43   #137
BHPian
 
Kairalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 148
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Too steep a price for a vehicle supposedly positioned against the Thar.
Other than a bigger, metal body and locking differentials, the Gurkha offers nothing more of any significance, while the Thar boasts of a bigger list of features that will make for a much better user experience. ​
Probably, an automatic variant of this Gurkha would've grabbed a few more eyeballs.
Kairalee is offline  
Old 30th September 2021, 10:15   #138
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 36
Thanked: 308 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

If I compare it with Thar there are two things in which Gurkha excels over the Thar
Diff Locks and Space(I was actually considering replacing my 3 months old Thar with Gurkha as Thar doesn't have enough space to be a proper Overlanding rig).

Gurkha again gonna be a niche product in the off-road niche. Personally, I feel its job is to help in PR instead of bringing numbers.


If I was in the management of Force I would have outsourced it's interior and cabin to some third party like DC and would have gotten a very plush interior.
Yeah, it would have been costlier by a few lakhs(20ish on-Road) but at least it would have been a better package.

Last edited by vb-san : 1st October 2021 at 05:58. Reason: typos
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:31   #139
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 817
Thanked: 2,823 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Don't get this. I am not into off-roading or trail riding at all.

But why are people complaining about the interiors not being plush enough? This is a vehicle you are supposed to use off the beaten path. It's meant to be rugged and mechanically reliable.

I would imagine the owners would actually take the pain to give a through wash (and that includes the interiors too) after every long trip.

So how would one go about doing that if the car had plush interiors? Could the overall ambience of the this brute be spruced up..Sure but I don't see all that many things that could be improved honestly.
JithinR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:36   #140
HTC
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 107
Thanked: 329 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Here is the accessories pricelist.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-20210930_103457.jpg  

HTC is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 15:37   #141
BHPian
 
tilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada / B'lore
Posts: 592
Thanked: 1,467 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post
*SNIP*

If I was in the management of Force I would have outsourced it's interior and cabin to some third party like DC *

SNIP*
DC? DC????????!!!!!!!!!! In that case it's a very good thing you're not in the management of Force

Cheers
tilt is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 16:08   #142
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 12,443
Thanked: 56,166 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Thanks to Sinu Kalapurayil Joseph for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Interestingly, the new Force Gurkha has a service interval of just 4 months.

Force Gurkha Review-gurkha.jpg
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 16:24   #143
BHPian
 
Manuuj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi.
Posts: 771
Thanked: 3,101 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

I've seen very few stock Thars on the road. Most of them need some pimping up to make them look good.

The stock Gurkha looks way better in my opinion but lets stop comparing these two vehicles. I think the 2021 Gurkha should only be compared to the earlier 2.6 liter Gurkha.

Someone who likes the Thar will never get the Gurkha and a Gurkha fanboy like me will never consider the Thar.

For me its the Gurkha because

1. Twin mechanically locking Diff Locks.
2. All metal roof
3. Large cabin space
4. G Wagon derived looks
5. Good factory accessories for mods
6. Proven smooth engine and suspension
7. Can be fixed by most road side mechanics
8. Amazing street presence.
9. Uncommon vehicle

There are many other points about it that i like but these are just a few of the main ones

I received a basic price list today and was happy to note that the Kenwood system is also an accessory that i will happily omit for something better.

That way i dont lose any money when i replace an OEM system.

Here is what i recieved today. Ex showroom Delhi.
Name:  IMG20210930WA0000.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  93.0 KB

I have gone around trying to source Rims and Tyres.

I want BFG 265/75/16 tyres and have seen a few rims also. I like the Plati ones since they are Zero offset.
Name:  IMG20210928WA0002.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  68.9 KB
Force Gurkha Review-img20210924wa0012.jpg[/ATTACH]
Force Gurkha Review-img20210924wa0008.jpg
Force Gurkha Review-img20210924wa0005.jpg

The BFGs ofcourse are not available but i will wait till they are even if i have to delay getting the Gurkha by a few months.

Sadly the 3 inch lift provided from factory in the Gurkha Extreme will not be available due to the IFS suspension setup.

The BFG 265/75 profile tyres should improve ground clearance.

Last edited by Manuuj : 30th September 2021 at 16:25. Reason: Additional point.
Manuuj is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 17:44   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,250
Thanked: 5,547 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

The BFGs ofcourse are not available but i will wait till they are even if i have to delay getting the Gurkha by a few months.

Sadly the 3 inch lift provided from factory in the Gurkha Extreme will not be available due to the IFS suspension setup.

The BFG 265/75 profile tyres should improve ground clearance.
A word of caution - those steel wheels are incredibly heavy and so is upsized BFGs. Performance, braking and durability of parts they are attached to will suffer.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 06:10   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
Bibendum90949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,074
Thanked: 4,185 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Interestingly, the new Force Gurkha has a service interval of just 4 months.
So Force is not just making a killing with higher margins to compensate for low volumes but want to extend the same trick for service intervals too. Are they using coconut oil or what in the engine to get it replaced every 4 months. I'm assuming the recommended service interval of 10k kms or 4 months calls for oil change too.

In these age and times, 120 days for oil change is unheard of. And this being a niche off road vehicle, I don't see most Gurkhas clocking more than 2000-3000 kms in that four months. There could be owners who are an exception. There's no way 10k is clocked every 4 months. Would be interesting to see this Mercedes engine's service interval in other applications.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 1st October 2021 at 06:12.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 06:46   #146
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 360
Thanked: 487 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Did they by chance copied this from Trax or Toofan page?
I took more than 4yrs to reach 40k in my S cross. How can anybody expect to cover that distance in 18 months, that too with a niche vehicle?

40k km in 510 days is almost like 80km per day. Only taxis may have such consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Interestingly, the new Force Gurkha has a service interval of just 4 months.

Attachment 2213552
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 11:36   #147
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 440 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Don't get this. I am not into off-roading or trail riding at all.

But why are people complaining about the interiors not being plush enough? This is a vehicle you are supposed to use off the beaten path. It's meant to be rugged and mechanically reliable.

I would imagine the owners would actually take the pain to give a through wash (and that includes the interiors too) after every long trip.

So how would one go about doing that if the car had plush interiors? Could the overall ambience of the this brute be spruced up..Sure but I don't see all that many things that could be improved honestly.
Exactly! There appears to be a secretive Thar marketing team intent of trashing the Gurkha here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
So Force is not just making a killing with higher margins to compensate for low volumes but want to extend the same trick for service intervals too. Are they using coconut oil or what in the engine to get it replaced every 4 months. I'm assuming the recommended service interval of 10k kms or 4 months calls for oil change too.

In these age and times, 120 days for oil change is unheard of. And this being a niche off road vehicle, I don't see most Gurkhas clocking more than 2000-3000 kms in that four months. There could be owners who are an exception. There's no way 10k is clocked every 4 months. Would be interesting to see this Mercedes engine's service interval in other applications.
I don't believe this is for Oil change - except perhaps for the first 10k kms to get rid of metal shavings from newly minted hardware. Maybe more for the BS6 engines DPF component that needs routine maintenance, perhaps later doable on ones own after warranty period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Did they by chance copied this from Trax or Toofan page?
I took more than 4yrs to reach 40k in my S cross. How can anybody expect to cover that distance in 18 months, that too with a niche vehicle?

40k km in 510 days is almost like 80km per day. Only taxis may have such consistency
If the T&C says 4months or 10,000kms whichever is earlier its going to an issue in lockdown times for people to cover that. Not servicing even if car was parked in garage may void warranty!
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:25   #148
BHPian
 
Manuuj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi.
Posts: 771
Thanked: 3,101 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Yesterday while going through Team Bhp I chanced upon a scathing review of mine from 2014 on the Gurkha.

At that time I had gone for a test drive and my experience of driving the 2014 Gurkha and its unbelievably cheap interiors had left me disgusted and i posted a venomous review of the same on Team BHP.

I was clearly angry with Force Motors for such shoddy execution and swore that I was walking away from Force Motors forever.

Then came 2019 and the Gurkha Extreme. This time it drove really well. Fit and finish was improved (but barely acceptable).
The lack of Airbags in 2019 made me walk away once again albeit with a twinge of regret that i wasn't going to own one after all.

This time around i am prepared to eat my words from 2014. The vehicle is a huge improvement from its past iterations.

1. Fit and finish of body panels look good.

2. Twin airbags have been provided.

3. The interiors have been revamped.

4. The paint quality seems to be really good.

5. From the reviews and specially by a current Gurkha owner Trojan, one gathers that it drives really well too and is vastly improved in NVH from his Gurkha with the same 2.6 liter engine.

6. Pricing is reasonable in my humble opinion. In 2014 almost 8 years ago it was priced around 10 lacs ex showroom.

In 2019 it was priced at 12.99 ex showroom for the Gurkha extreme 2.2.

For the 2021/22 model I've been sent a price list of 13.27 lacs ex showroom which is just 28,000 more than the April 2019 price list (yes i know its for the 2.6 and not 2.2)

Is it really that much? Truly? Just the LED headlamps and twin airbags would cover that cost forget the all the investement in new tooling for the new body and all new chassis. Force Motors have listened to its customers and tried to deliver a reasonably good product at a reasonably good price.

What other vehicle of this size with a proper hardtop, good amount of cabin space, acceptable safety equipment, LED headlamps, proper 4x4 gear (and yes mechanical twin locking differentials) is available at this price?

This is a lot of car for the money.

Its the first time i can think of getting a Gurkha and changing nothing except for getting better Tyres (which i do with all my vehicles)

Lets be fair here. This is a genuinely good attempt by Force Motors to give the Gurkha the market share it deserves. I hope they succeed.

I am posting a few pics that i had requested and have received through someone who is at training with Force Motors for the new Gurkha.

I had asked for photos of a Green one which is the color i intend to get.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-img20211001wa0004.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-img20211001wa0001.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-img20211001wa0000.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-img20211001wa0002.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-img20211001wa0003.jpg  

Manuuj is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:28   #149
Senior - BHPian
 
Bibendum90949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,074
Thanked: 4,185 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I don't believe this is for Oil change - except perhaps for the first 10k kms to get rid of metal shavings from newly minted hardware. Maybe more for the BS6 engines DPF component that needs routine maintenance, perhaps later doable on ones own after warranty period?
In the earlier post by Aditya, it's indicated that after all the free services(4 of them), the service interval is 10k kms or 4 months. The first service is at 5 months(150 days) and subsequent ones are spaced at 120 days(4 months). Since there's no specific mention of oil change every 10k kms, it's safe to assume the oil change should be done every 4 months during the scheduled service itself.

On a side note, does Gurkha come equipped with an option to carry out manual regeneration of DPF? If not, Gurkha owners should be wary of this aspect before they take it to offbeat places. It should be a good idea to check the O2 sensor clogging level before venturing deep into jungles and stuff for off roading and clean them to be on the safer side prior to such exploratory trips.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 1st October 2021 at 12:38.
Bibendum90949 is offline  
Old 1st October 2021, 12:59   #150
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,250
Thanked: 5,547 Times
Default Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
In the earlier post by Aditya, it's indicated that after all the free services(4 of them), the service interval is 10k kms or 4 months. The first service is at 5 months(150 days) and subsequent ones are spaced at 120 days(4 months). Since there's no specific mention of oil change every 10k kms, it's safe to assume the oil change should be done every 4 months during the scheduled service itself.
This is what the website says, an owner`s manual would be helpful.

Force Gurkha Review-gurkha-screen-grab.png
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks