Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 13:32   #151
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

On a side note, does Gurkha come equipped with an option to carry out manual regeneration of DPF? If not, Gurkha owners should be wary of this aspect before they take it to offbeat places. It should be a good idea to check the O2 sensor clogging level before venturing deep into jungles and stuff for off roading and clean them to be on the safer side prior to such exploratory trips.
According to Force Motors they have voided the need for needing Ad Blue through the use of another technology to meet BS6 standards.

"The new power train meets the BS6 norms using Lean NOX trap thereby eliminating the need for Ad Blue." -taken from the Force Motors Press Release.

So if they are using a different way to clean the exhaust gases and have eliminated the need for Adblue i am guessing even a Diesel Particulate Filter may not be installed.

This would be excellent as it would bypass all the complications associated with DPF systems.

Last edited by Manuuj : 1st October 2021 at 13:56.
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 15:09   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
So if they are using a different way to clean the exhaust gases and have eliminated the need for Adblue i am guessing even a Diesel Particulate Filter may not be installed.
LNT filter does not do away with the need for a DPF. Infact both would need to be regenerated from time to time.
hazchem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 16:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

The new power train meets the BS6 norms using Lean NOX trap thereby eliminating the need for Ad Blue." -taken from the Force Motors Press Release.

So if they are using a different way to clean the exhaust gases and have eliminated the need for Adblue i am guessing even a Diesel Particulate Filter may not be installed. This would be excellent as it would bypass all the complications associated with DPF systems.
This would be a DPF+LNT set up. Can't do away with DPF. No Ad Blue means there's no SCR a.k.a Selective Catalytic Reduction. LNT is an alternative to SCR and deals with Nox. DPF takes care of soot. It's either DPF+LNT or DPF+SCR(Ad blue/DEF). DPF is a must.

Cars like Seltos, Creta etc has a DPF+LNT set up and Innova, Endeavour, new Thar etc employ DPF+SCR. LNT is not as effective as SCR treatment. Gurkha being a high capacity 2.6 litre engine, it's surprising that they've done away with SCR.

Heavy duty trucks will have all three - DPF+SCR+LNT.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 1st October 2021 at 16:39.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 18:13   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Exactly! There appears to be a secretive Thar marketing team intent of trashing the Gurkha here.
You can say that again , you should see the powerdrift review of the thar by someone on this forum and closely associated with the previous gen thar. It’s a joke , he doesn’t even touch upon the key differentiator- the manual locking diffs or the off road capabilities . I have never been a fan of the gurkha but this one deserves credit, they have put in a lot of work .
howler is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 00:15   #155
BHPian

Any thoughts on why they didn't provide 3 point seat belts at the back. Is it possible to put aftermarket belts on? I have two very young kids, I am afraid my wife sign off on a vehicle with lap belts.
hazchem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:37   #156
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem View Post
Any thoughts on why they didn't provide 3 point seat belts at the back. Is it possible to put aftermarket belts on? I have two very young kids, I am afraid my wife sign off on a vehicle with lap belts.
I dont see an fastening points for the seat belts with the wide glass screen at the rear. I guess without a C pillar at the exact right position just behind the rear seats, a 3rd attachment point would not meet any safety norms.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 15:16   #157
BHPian

Quote:
I dont see an fastening points for the seat belts with the wide glass screen at the rear. I guess without a C pillar at the exact right position just behind the rear seats, a 3rd attachment point would not meet any safety norms.
HCV driver's seats are provided with the third anchor point on the upper corner of the seat frame. Luxury coach passenger seats can also be provided with that third anchor point as an option. Pinnacle industries Ltd is a leading seat manufacturer.
https://pinnacleindustries.com/
Mr. Sudhir Mehta, director at Force Motors, is Chairman and MD at Pinnacle. My guess is that all Force vehicles seats are supplied by them. No harm in checking if seats with three point anchoring could be supplied.

Regards,

Anwesh
Anwesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can just suggest that the Force Gurkha is NOT the right vehicle for you to carry very young kids ?-at least not the primary car. It is not family vehicle in the traditional sense, but it is meant for taking 4 adults/young adults on off-road trips. Young kids, not properly strapped in, will be tossed about and it will be a handful to worry about them as well as control the vehicle in tight situations.

PS: Nor is the Mahindra Thar.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 3rd October 2021 at 08:01.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:42   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The Gurkha on the other hand is a more practical car. Unless you want to compare the dashboard quality of high-end sedans to what is meant to be a rugged maintainable and washable off-roader and overlander and nit-pick on not finding those Kingly comforts.

I dont see any VFM in the Thar when the Gurkha can do everything the Thar can do both on and off-road, and does even better with luggage space and comes with factory fitted utility accessories.
Agree with you on both points. Having used the new Thar CRDe extensively I dropped my idea to buy one for the main reason that it would be my daily work car. This means atleat 4 people need to sit in reasonable comfort with reasonable ingress to the back seats. The two jump seat accessories at the back will be okay for another two to sit for short distances.

Besides it comes with a metal top that takes an expedition rack to hold additional luggage/cargo.

Given these points, I find the Gurkha to be much more practical vehicle than the Thar except for the sore/sticking point below.

Quote:
Hopefully with a lower gross laden weight being a 4-seater, the new 90hp BS6 wont be a drag - that is the only major bone of contention..
This is a major omission/flaw done by Force. I hope they realize and try to rectify it asap.

Quote:
Right - In my experience as an overnight passenger in the Tempo Traveller on many weekend trekking trips
The Torque characteristic required of a commercial vehicle is different from a passenger vehicle. These travelers need luggability, i.e all bottom end torque and are geared very short. Even a low revving engine will do fine. A lifestyle passenger vehicle needs a better balance between bhp/toque and also the revability of the engine. This engine caps out at 3500 rpm which is waaay too low for a passenger vehicle in this damn day and age. ideally they should increase the rev-limit to minimum 4k rpm.

The more I think about it, I think it has to do with emissions. Especially the fact that Force has avoided ad-blue. This could have been done by keeping the engine in a mild state of tune to reduce emissions. Just like Mahindra would keep making the gearing taller and taller to meet emissions. Either way, I think this engine has potential for a remap to bring it up to relatively modern numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Interestingly, the new Force Gurkha has a service interval of just 4 months.
Quote:
I don't believe this is for Oil change - except perhaps for the first 10k kms to get rid of metal shavings from newly minted hardware.

If the T&C says 4months or 10,000kms whichever is earlier its going to an issue in lockdown times for people to cover that. Not servicing even if car was parked in garage may void warranty!
Nowadays the mileage requirements put by the manufacturer for service to meet the warranty norms is ridiculous. It has mostly become a scam. How many people will run the Gurkha 10K kms every 4 months? A forced oil service every 10 months is also an environmental waste. I think someone should tweet Mr. Gadkari to rationalize the service norms. It should be kilometer bound and not time bound. Modern oils will not degrade in 4 months. This is purely a scam by by manufacturers.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:04   #160
BHPian

While most people recommend/state the Gurkha should’ve been priced less, I’ll take a slightly contrarian view. If they wanted to position it as a genuinely viable alternative to the Thar or even as a niche but appealing product, they could’ve gone the other direction - offered an automatic gearbox and an engine in a different (more cruising oriented) state of tune at a premium of even 2-3 more lakhs. As a player who is not volume oriented, this would still have opened up the funnel to customers who are not just based in farflung rural areas, but those who live in the city but genuinely want to (and often do) get off the beaten path. This seems great once you’re off-road but getting to that point in this seems like a painful exercise.

Currently there is nothing below 25L for such usage, other than the Thar. And I for one just downright hate the Thar from its design (ripoff) to its silly seating config of two people plus two kids/big backpacks/midgets. Great engines in a package I truly abhor. I’d have seriously considered the Gurkha if it had an auto version. Can’t dream of working that gearbox in Bangalore traffic though.

Oh well, guess I’ll have to rejoin the legions of people waiting for the Jimny for the last decade.

Last edited by RT13 : 3rd October 2021 at 12:07.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 13:18   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It appears the Gurkha is equipped with ISOFIX anchorages, I believe your only option is to switch from child restraints with a seatbelt installation to ISOFIX restraints. Do check for compatibility before purchase. Also, don't consider aftermarket safety belts. Safety belts are required to meet a certain regulatory standard (AIS-015) so if the vehicle is not designed to accommodate it, it is highly unlikely that an aftermarket solution when fitted to the vehicle will meet this standard.

Last edited by ron178 : 3rd October 2021 at 13:24.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 14:29   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I can just suggest that the Force Gurkha is NOT the right vehicle for you to carry very young kids ?-at least not the primary car. It is not family vehicle in the traditional sense, but it is meant for taking 4 adults/young adults on off-road trips. Young kids, not properly strapped in, will be tossed about and it will be a handful to worry about them as well as control the vehicle in tight situations.

PS: Nor is the Mahindra Thar.
Yes, I totally understand that. I don't intend to use it as my primary vehicle. It's meant for touring to remote beaches. Kids are 5 & 7 so I dont think they are too young for it. But yes would need to have them strapped in tight from a safety perspective. Especially when on the highway.
hazchem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:44   #163

A forum is meant to hold divergent views, agreed. However, for those who seek a no nonsense off-roader, please check this link
on youtube of a Gurkha towing a Isuzu can be seen along the Shinkula pass.
The utilitarian interiors can be overlooked for the capabilities it has to offer, if one seeks a serious and capable off roader south of 15lakhs
flywheels is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 22:17   #164
BHPian

Quote:
had asked for photos of a Green one which is the color i intend to get
That color looks really good..! Still think the Jeep Compass Green is the standard here( let's leave mini and jag out of this conversation)The orange colour that was reviewed looked terrible. Don't understand why Force would want pictures of its Orange tone Gurkha splashed across the media when they have this.. Anyway must be my terrible taste..
Tokengrip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 11:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywheels View Post
A forum is meant to hold divergent views, agreed. However, for those who seek a no nonsense off-roader, please check this link https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=78R-1fvffe4
on Youtube of a Gurkha towing a Isuzu can be seen along the Shinkula pass.
The utilitarian interiors can be overlooked for the capabilities it has to offer, if one seeks a serious and capable off roader south of 15lakhs
Had seen this video a while ago and was hugely impressed! For most vehicles it would be a real task to go up that slippery uneven slope on their own but to actually tow a 2 tonne vehicle up that slope at high altitude shows how capable a vehicle the Gurkha is.

The low end torque by that 2.6 liter motor must have been a huge boon in those conditions.

The best part is one gets the same 2.6 liter engine with much better interiors, combined with better fit and finish all around in the new Gurkha.

I feel its an amazing combination and real value for money. That is the reason i am getting one even though i have a 4x4 already.
Manuuj is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed