Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 20:41   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

Echo the general sentiments. Except for front end, the 5 door model looks fantastic. May be even better than 3 door model in my eyes. There is something about large family hauler with off-roading capabilities that makes me weak in the knee.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2022 at 18:45. Reason: 5D, 3D?
amol4184 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:11   #677
BHPian

I am happy I chose the SWB because it’s the perfect size for off-roading, despite compromises of second row passengers having to move out of rear tail gate. You can still haul stuff while enjoying the better ramp angles .

If you need to fit more folks then that’s a different ball game which the 5-door shines.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2022 at 18:45. Reason: 5D?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 07:35   #678
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
A really instructive and informative video! For the average enthusiast like me, it is an eye-opener - just how a salvage operation in a serious off-road situation is carried out. The only salvage operation I've been a part of was at sea - our ship was aground on coral reefs and had to be refloated and pulled out to deeper waters. Thereafter we managed to reach safe harbour on our own steam - listing and limping badly.

For Gurkha enthusiasts this may give pause for thought.
Old 11th March 2022, 09:03   #679
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Off-late most YouTube channels are having a field time, showcasing ownership reviews of the Gurkha, I really like this approach as against the regular reviews in which there isn't enough time spent with the vehicle to really understand its pros, cons, usability, practicality and lastly the company support or issues faced.
And judging by the number of views, seems like the junta loves it too....
I agree that ownership reviews give a much better, real world feel to a review. Unfortunately, after going through the sound-track of the salvage operation of the Gurkha on this thread posted by rakesh_r, I feel disappointed. It highlights certain issues (low G.C., and apparent lack of thorough testing) which should have been tackled before launching the vehicle. The Gurkha has a certain reputation as a serious off-roader - and this video will not help to strengthen that reputation. Apart from creating doubts in prospective buyer's minds.

Last edited by shashanka : 11th March 2022 at 09:06.
Old 11th March 2022, 09:32   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I agree that ownership reviews give a much better, real world feel to a review. Apart from creating doubts in prospective buyer's minds.
Quote:
A really instructive and informative video! For the average enthusiast like me, it is an eye-opener -
Firstly I’m happy and thankful to god that all of them are safe. Multiply body flips is scary and I’m glad the vehicle kept intact and kept them safe. At the end, life is all that matters. Rest can be recovered.

As a satisfied Gurkha owner., I feel compelled to pitch in. I’m posting my video of the Island Gurkha here. I have another video of the low GC also in the same channel.

The vehicle is extremely capable but has its limitations. In understanding the limitations and stretching within its capabilities lies the key to a happy ownership:

Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely areas of improvement for Force to make the Gurkha better, and the company does need to give a hard look at such feedback and improve design.

On the other hand, I have a general observation not particular to the Sandakpu incident - I’m alarmed by the sheer number of new owners just driving off their brand new Gurkha without getting to know what it can and cannot do.

There’s a sacred honeymoon period where the new owner and the vehicle get to know each other prior embarking on extreme excursions or long expeditions. This is being dangerously curtailed in recent times.

We are hearing and reading sensational but anecdotal stories of owners who have not spared time for even a proper PDI or spent some time training themselves on the 4x4 hardware just shooting off into the sunset for the expedition of their lives. And when things go south, it is easy to be wiser in retrospect.

There’s a compelling fad to buy a new Royal Enfield and drive to Leh/ Spiti the next day. And vlog the experience of ‘’You Won’t Believe How RE is stuck in snow! ‘’ Or drive the Gurkha straight out of the showroom to another country. Regardless of how modern automotive technology has progressed, The fundamentals never change - Know Your Vehicle.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 11th March 2022 at 09:49.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 10:22   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feels like Deja Vu and from another life time!

The Gurkha power steering pump inlet pipe is weak and badly designed + exposed.

Mine went bust just as I climbed to the top of Hamboting La in 2013, and my steering became extremely heavy.
I repaired it then and there with thread+elfy and refilled it with ATF. That jugaad lasted me until the time I sold her off.
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 11:24   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, after going through the sound-track of the salvage operation of the Gurkha on this thread posted by rakesh_r, I feel disappointed. Apart from creating doubts in prospective buyer's minds.
I am one of those wanting to buy the Gurkha, since I wish to buy a 4x4 SUV and Gurkha being the only one as of now in my Budget. Although I love the SWB, I am waiting for the 5D to hit the market, also keeping an eye on the new Scorpio. Gurkha definitely is not the perfect vehicle and has its pros and cons. What I am very much impressed is the strength of the body.
Looking at how owners are being approached proactively by FM to solve their issues, pretty sure this incident would have come into the attention of FM HQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The fundamentals never change - Know Your Vehicle.
Here I would like to agree with what Vignesh has mentioned. One needs to thoroughly understand the capabilities of the vehicle in and out, before embarking on a challenging expedition, at least for a terrain like Sandakphu which is best left to be done by the experts.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 11th March 2022 at 11:25.
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 13:56   #683
BHPian

Quote:
I agree that ownership reviews give a much better, real world feel to a review. Unfortunately, after going through the sound-track of the salvage operation of the Gurkha on this thread posted by rakesh_r, I feel disappointed. It highlights certain issues (low G.C., and apparent lack of thorough testing) which should have been tackled before launching the vehicle. The Gurkha has a certain reputation as a serious off-roader - and this video will not help to strengthen that reputation. Apart from creating doubts in prospective buyer's minds.
Firstly thank heavens they are all safe and sound, but honestly speaking the narrative does not match the video. Talking about which, I don't see the video of the incident itself ... not sure if I missed it somewhere.

I don't think it is as simple and as easy as A+B+C caused the Gurkha to topple.

27-11-2021, 330AM Chennai + 3 days and 2150kms reached Nepal.
Lumbini - Pokhara - Muktinath - Jomsom - Chitwan - Kathmandu - Maneybhanjang (10Dec) - Sandakphu - accident - YT video 22-Feb

But

- From somewhere in Tamil Nadu and 'x' number of kms done over 2 weeks they landed at Sandakphu which is by no means a regular destination like a Leh/Ladakh region. This one needs serious skills as mistakes can be costly and injurious too.

- New vehicle + new drivers, neither having experience of hill driving nor with the Gurkha - heck I think even accomplished hill drivers will be very careful about Sandakphu.

- The most important part of any roadtrip is the vehicle itself, and a planned check must be carried out at workshops especially when your entire itinerary revolved around high mountain passes and rough terrain. But still in none of the 10 videos I came across any terrain which was not passable, can see Scorpios and Boleros in plenty, and to be utterly honest, I am really surprised to hear that the Gurkha was hitting everywhere where Boleros and Scorpios were able to cross, as I own both the Scorpio and the Gurkha.
The Scorpios lower arm sits at 18cms as against the Gurkha which is at 20.5cms.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5254930

This place is deep and has loose boulders on the river bed.

- Just looking at the way it was driven does not emanate confidence even as a viewer, if it was me, I would just pray to the almighty to have come out of this alive. The accident happened while returning, where gravity will add power to the vehicle, and a hell lot more trickier than climbing.

I see the vehicle was running and they were driving it inside the workshop, I could not pick out the exact issue what caused the mishap, can't believe I watched all 10 videos but then the last video I lost interest as its merely a post episode retrospective where we all have become a lot wiser.

Dime a dozen people are setting about 'Exploring'. Having a 4wd means your vehicle has more functional capability against a 2wd, but it does not come with driving experience. One should be really cautious about their new vehicle, spend time understanding the nuances.

I would not share my Gurkha or any of my vehicles with 3 of my friends over such a long road trip, there are distinct driving styles of each individual

I don't think anyone should base their purchase decision on the basis of reviews alone. One should also think whether they need such a vehicle in the first place. A mishap in Sandakphu would be the last criteria to decide a vehicle.

But then again, that the vehicle body sustained the rolls, definitely increases my confidence on the safety aspect of the vehicle, can't even imagine the result if it was a soft top.

Quote:
As a satisfied Gurkha owner., I feel compelled to pitch in.

In understanding the limitations and stretching within its capabilities lies the key to a happy ownership:

I’m alarmed by the sheer number of new owners just driving off their brand new Gurkha without getting to know what it can and cannot do.

And when things go south, it is easy to be wiser in retrospect.

The fundamentals never change - Know Your Vehicle.
Apt!

Last edited by Trojan : 11th March 2022 at 14:06.
Trojan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:09   #684
BANNED

Note from Support: Quotes trimmed. Please DO NOT quote large posts entirely.

Quote:
Firstly I’m happy and thankful to god that all of them are safe. Multiply body flips is scary and I’m glad the vehicle kept intact and kept them safe. At the end, life is all that matters. Rest can be recovered.
Me too - I'm greatly relieved that they are all safe. Like you said, multiple somersaults are the stuff of nightmares. I'm attaching some photos (and accompanying account of one of our own close shaves) which I had posted earlier in another thread on this forum. And while Sandakphu is certainly an experience in itself, there are numerous members on this forum who have done it, including a member on a Duster AWD! So the earlier tag of "Land Rover territory" is now probably outdated. And regarding the lack of awareness of new enthusiasts, it is certainly sound advice to get familiar with AWD/4WD characteristics, distinctions and capabilities, before galloping off into the sunset!

Quote:
One needs to thoroughly understand the capabilities of the vehicle in and out, before embarking on a challenging expedition, at least for a terrain like Sandakphu which is best left to be done by the experts.
Yes, as I'd mentioned earlier, the Gurkha has a well-earned reputation as a thoroughbred off-roader and I'm sure you are making no mistake in opting for it! I too feel that FM must reach out to correct any negative feedback. I also feel that their OM616 (notwithstanding its robustness & FM's development of the original engine) is getting rather long in the tooth and it would be better to develop a more contemporary replacement.

This is not a confession of road rage, but an admission that accidents are always waiting to happen. And fate doesn’t need a fig leaf (our carelessness or road rage, for example) to step in!

We've had two recent shunts on the highway. The recent & more serious one took place when we were on our way back (my wife & I, me driving each time - probably wouldn't have happened if my wife had been at the wheel, she being a very careful driver) from Naukuchiatal to Lucknow (fortunately without our pets this time).

The incident took place just outside Bareilly on the new toll road between Kiccha & Bareilly. A burst rear tyre caused the car to veer off-road down onto the adjoining sugar-cane fields, fortunately without hitting another vehicle or human being.

As per eye-witnesses the car rolled over thrice before coming to rest right side up. Both of us walked out without a scratch - relatively speaking - on either of us. The cops (who came on to the scene much sooner than I expected) were convinced that it was our Karma that saved us.

The repairs (in Bareilly) took 6 months under the insurance claim – apparently because the car is old (13+years old today) and spares were difficult to come by. Sharp-eyed observers will have noticed that the bonnet & headlight lenses are from a later model, not 2004, which is our car’s vintage! And the left and right ORVMs are not mirror images either!

The following photos complete the picture – the first few taken just after the incident and the others taken after we received the car back, following the repairs.

But today I feel I'm as good a driver as my wife, caution & safety-wise!

Force Gurkha Review-03032017178.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-03032017179.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-03032017180.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-03032017181.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-p1030961.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-p1030965.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-p1030966.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 1st April 2022 at 20:06. Reason: Text from Word document added to post
shashanka is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 22:50   #685
BHPian

Thank you Vignesh for your enjoyable and informative videos. Django looks magnificent driving along the edge of the water. Can you tell me what are the instructions to be given to raise the bash plate? Is it the same plate that is to be mounted higher with shortened arms and screws? Also was the original distance meant to give some space for deformation of this plate in case of an impact so that there is still no transfer of the shock to the gearbox and transfer case?
Another question is whether the lower arms of the suspension are also protected by the present position and shape of the bash plate. I noticed in Maanuj's video that the plate scooped up some mud at one point in his off road documentary. He has not done any modification yet so would appreciate your inputs in this regard.
Trojan's video shows a very uneven road with rocks. Does your Gurkha have higher GC and a different type of protective plate? The older Thars at the Mahindra Off Road Academy at Igatpuri had a 180 mm GC,if I am not mistaken, and this was enough to tackle all the assigned obstacles during a 2 day course.However there were no boulder strewn stretches where this may be inadequate.
Old 12th March 2022, 07:23   #686
BANNED

I wanted to add the following brief account of our 2017 accident on the Kiccha-Bareilly toll road which accompanied the above photos. Unfortunately the word document was not opening for some reason.
Mods kindly excuse.

"This is not a confession of road rage, but an admission that accidents are always waiting to happen. And fate doesn’t need a fig leaf (our carelessness or road rage, for example) to step in!

We've had two recent shunts on the highway. The recent & more serious one took place when we were on our way back (my wife & I, me driving each time - probably wouldn't have happened if my wife had been at the wheel, she being a very careful driver) from Naukuchiatal to Lucknow (fortunately without our pets this time).

The incident took place just outside Bareilly on the new toll road between Kiccha & Bareilly. A burst rear tyre caused the car to veer off-road down onto the adjoining sugar-cane fields, fortunately without hitting another vehicle or human being.

As per eye-witnesses the car rolled over thrice before coming to rest right side up. Both of us walked out without a scratch - relatively speaking - on either of us. The cops (who came on to the scene much sooner than I expected) were convinced that it was our Karma that saved us.

The repairs (in Bareilly) took 6 months under the insurance claim – apparently because the car is old (13+years old today) and spares were difficult to come by. Sharp-eyed observers will have noticed that the bonnet & headlight lenses are from a later model, not 2004, which is our car’s vintage! And the left and right ORVMs are not mirror images either!

The following photos complete the picture – the first few taken just after the incident and the others taken after we received the car back, following the repairs.

But today I feel I'm as good a driver as my wife, caution & safety-wise!

Last edited by shashanka : 12th March 2022 at 07:26.
shashanka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 07:41   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
But then again, that the vehicle body sustained the rolls, definitely increases my confidence on the safety aspect of the vehicle, can't even imagine the result if it was a soft top.
Apt!
Trojan, since you are from Pune, you would be aware of how every tom dick and harry here drive their vehicles with high beams. The situation is so bad that my eyes became red yesterday while driving back from Mumbai. Couple of months back I was travelling with my boss on his VCross and noticed how comfortable it was to drive at night. Owing to its height, high beams hardly effected me. How is it to travel at night on the Gurkha? I have a good mind to install a pair of Rallye 3003 aux lights with HIDs if I buy the Gurkha.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 18:49   #688
BHPian

Sharing some of the customizations we did on our new Gurkha. Not all at once. Added them based on need and travel experience. It may get more going forward.

I think after modifications in Gurkha are much simpler when compared to Thar and cost effective too.

- Customized Waterproof Bags
- Floor Matting
- Extra Keys
- Seat Covers
- DashCam with Rear Camera
- Reverse Parking Camera
- Rooftop Tent
- Auxiliary Lights
- Jerry Can Holder
- Shovel Holder
- Must Carry Accessories

StudiousWandere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 20:46   #689
Senior - BHPian

Last week Force motors dealer came home for Gurkha promotion, a welcome move. Checked the car in and out and also took for good long test drive. While I have no plans to buy or for that matter was not even looking for one in near future, here are some of the observations I made. My comparison is against my 7 year Thar DI and couple of CRDe that I have driven extensively. I have not driven the new Thar but have checked it in person .

Good Part
-Soft cushy ride makes for comfortable drive off-road.
-Front and rear diff lock, 4x4 equipment makes for solid offroader.
- Good space inside for 4. Seats are wide and comfortable Feels airy inside, unlike the Thar(All models/types).Getting in and out of 2nd row is easier than new Thar.
- Decent boot space, will gobble few bags for a week's travel
- Easy to drive despite the bulk(especially height). Super light clutch and gears were easy to slot. Light steering too.

Bad part
- While soft suspension is great off road, it's too soft on road. Does get scary on such a tall SUV.
- Engine is mediocre at best. Neither has low end torque of DI nor the performance of CRDe. The new Thar will probably murder Gurkha when it comes engine performance on/off road.
- Personally find road presence lacking. Don't get me wrong, it's a tall vehicle but somehow misses the Character which the new Thar(or even the old one) has . Despite the flashy Orange color, snorkel, roof carrier, after market rims felt like Gurkha was begging for road presence/character.
- Interiors are good but nothing close the new gen Thar. Simply doesnot feel like a car of current times.
-Aftersales, availability of spares, mod potential are of concern.

Overall a decent effort by Force but not yet there, especially after seeing what Mahindra have done with Thar. Better mechanically, looks aspirational, support from Mahindra, makes Thar an easy pick for majority. Add to that 18L OTR is too much for a brand that has poor sales and service.

Query to owners: Salesman told me, car doesnot need AdBlue. How did Force manage to develop a big BS6 engine without needing AdBlue?

Few poor quality shots
Force Gurkha Review-img_20220304_103933.jpg
Force Gurkha Review-img_20220304_103122.jpg
Force Gurkha Review-img_20220304_103141.jpg
PrideRed is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 20:59   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
- Personally find road presence lacking. Don't get me wrong, it's a tall vehicle but somehow misses the Character which the new Thar(or even the old one) has . Despite the flashy Orange color, snorkel, roof carrier, after market rims felt like Gurkha was begging for road presence/character.
Politely disagree with this point. Other things are more or less the same. Hope May be your Thar background undermines it. I have driven it across multiple states for several thousand kms. Never seen a person on road having similar views. Thousands of people took a pic with my vehicle including many Thar owners.
StudiousWandere is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed