Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2022, 21:58   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudiousWandere View Post
Politely disagree with this point. Other things are more or less the same. Hope May be your Thar background undermines it. I have driven it across multiple states for several thousand kms. Never seen a person on road having similar views. Thousands of people took a pic with my vehicle including many Thar owners.
No worries, looks are subjective and this was my personal take. My Thar is bare bones version and lacks road presence with wafer thin tires and especially in an area where these are in plenty. The new Thar though with its stock spec grabs eyeballs. The Gurkha on the other hand looks bigger but somehow feels Force had to add Snorkel, offset tires/alloys, carrier and a snazzy color to standout. Personally find proportions odd too, a bit too tall for the length and width.The tires again feel small for the height of the car. If road presence was all about size, Gurkha does have but for me road presence is more than just size. Again these are my justification and happy if everyone else like the road presence of Gurkha.

Last edited by PrideRed : 13th March 2022 at 22:03.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 10:43   #692
BANNED

Quote:
Politely disagree with this point. Other things are more or less the same. Hope May be your Thar background undermines it. I have driven it across multiple states for several thousand kms. Never seen a person on road having similar views. Thousands of people took a pic with my vehicle including many Thar owners.
As an owner of the current Thar (LX, petrol, manual, hardtop) & the earlier non-CRDE Scorpio ('04 to '19) & still earlier Tata Sierra ('96 to '04) I may be accused of bias in favour of mahindra - be that as it may! But for me road presence / street cred is not de rigueur. But yes, mechanically, I feel that FM, for whatever reason have not been proactively developing the Gurkha - specifically the OM616 engine. With the other domestic majors putting their best foot forward & coming up with respectable examples, one would expect FM to do the same. As a Gurkha owner yourself I am sure you agree that it is a serious off-roader and deserves better.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 13:54   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar Rao View Post
Trojan's video shows a very uneven road with rocks. Does your Gurkha have higher GC and a different type of protective plate? The older Thars at the Mahindra Off Road Academy at Igatpuri had a 180 mm GC,if I am not mistaken, and this was enough to tackle all the assigned obstacles during a 2 day course.However there were no boulder strewn stretches where this may be inadequate.
The new Gurkhas bash plates are placed lower than mine, but even then if it hits its not going to damage anything.
As for us, as you can see in the video its a river we are crossing and it has some serious sized boulders all around, never have we hit. Though I would again remark here that it is also possible to hit the underbody at this same river crossing. It is also about placing your wheels at the right place and driving slow and not fast.
I will again reiterate that the lower arms are at 20.5cms which is more GC than most vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Trojan, since you are from Pune, you would be aware of how every tom dick and harry here drive their vehicles with high beams. How is it to travel at night on the Gurkha? I have a good mind to install a pair of Rallye 3003 aux lights with HIDs if I buy the Gurkha.
At that height, car high beams don't bother much, but a Rallye 3003 with HIDs is an excellent choice, I have the same on my Gurkha. If you are going cross country, having great lights is an essential piece of equipment. I usually keep them wrapped in a cover while in Pune, and open them only on our long haul sectors.
Trojan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 14:49   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
I will again reiterate that the lower arms are at 20.5cms which is more GC than most vehicles.
The GC under lower arm in new Gurkha is exactly 170 mm and the bash plate lies below it. The bash plate can be modified to do to its job without reducing GC as done in Django.
Old 14th March 2022, 15:01   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At that height, car high beams don't bother much, but a Rallye 3003 with HIDs is an excellent choice, I have the same on my Gurkha. If you are going cross country, having great lights is an essential piece of equipment. I usually keep them wrapped in a cover while in Pune, and open them only on our long haul sectors.
I normally travel almost twice a year to my native Kerala. I prefer to drive at night since the traffic is almost non existent, especially between Pune and Kolhapur I have used the 3003 on my Swift and the lights were simply fantastic. As said earlier, I am waiting for the 5D to launch, although my heart says go for the SWB. I know the 5D would be the perfect vehicle for a family, what I am more interested is the engine option that FM would give, one with the current state of tune or the one from the Traveller. If it's the former, the SWB will make more sense.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 07:52   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
The GC under lower arm in new Gurkha is exactly 170 mm and the bash plate lies below it. The bash plate can be modified to do to its job without reducing GC as done in Django.

Nope, the GC under the lower arm is at 20.5 for BS6 as well as BS4, it is the bash plate which sits lower in the BS6 at 17.5.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5256473 (The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review)
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 08:15   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the GC under the lower arm is at 20.5 for BS6 as well as BS4, it is the bash plate which sits lower in the BS6 at 17.5.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5256473 (The Island Gurkha | My 2021 Grey Force Gurkha 4x4 in the Andamans | Ownership Review)
Think the increase in GC in Django is due to mud tyres.I personally am not sure whether this is adequate and I leave it to experts. But I am pretty impressed when I did test drive and some minor offroading.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-img20220225wa0011.jpg  

Last edited by msk_kapoor : 15th March 2022 at 08:21.
Old 16th March 2022, 09:26   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly thank heavens they are all safe and sound, but honestly speaking the narrative does not match the video. Talking about which, I don't see the video of the incident itself ... not sure if I missed it somewhere.

I don't think it is as simple and as easy as A+B+C caused the Gurkha to topple.

Apt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Saw a video on YouTube where a Gurkha met with an accident at Sandakphu, cause of accident- steering failure. The last part of the video mentions about the crash, further details will be available in his next video. The owner claims, the vehicle flipped 3 times and the vehicle has been declared
Off topic, but steering failure on a new vehicle seems a manufacturing defect right? I see that total loss is claimed and presumed paid by the insurance company.

Now if this is a manufacturing defect, would an insurance company pay for an accident arising out of such a defect or would they want the company to foot the bill (or a part of it) under warranty? Or am I missing a point here?

Any idea if Force has issued any clarification with regard to this accident? Because I see that this incident is reported all over as a steering failure implying at shoddy quality, which I think may not be a fair call without listening to what Force has to say.
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:04   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
Off topic, but steering failure on a new vehicle seems a manufacturing defect right? I see that total loss is claimed and presumed paid by the insurance company.

Now if this is a manufacturing defect, would an insurance company pay for an accident arising out of such a defect or would they want the company to foot the bill (or a part of it) under warranty? Or am I missing a point here?

Any idea if Force has issued any clarification with regard to this accident? Because I see that this incident is reported all over as a steering failure implying at shoddy quality, which I think may not be a fair call without listening to what Force has to say.

Insurance approval is based on claim which is linked to an accident, the amount of claim approved is dependent upon the nature and extent of damage in comparison to the IDV of the vehicle.
The customer purchases insurance to exactly cover themselves of such unforeseen incidents.

Am not sure what actions do Insurance companies take for suspect manufacturing defects, I would assume that unless there is volumetric data for similar episodes, they would not consider it to be so.

This specific case, it was stated that there was steering failure, but yet the steering seemed to be working during recovery and even at the workshop.
Unless I am totally wrong, for a hydraulic steering this can't be possible, steering issues start when it begins to lose oil, before finally giving up. The oil leakage itself is almost never a 100% drain out, so one has ample time to rectify things - even a top up works as an immediate fix. For Steering to fail out of lack of oil, it needs complete oil starvation.

But once it has drained out and steering fails, it cant magically start working again.

So what caused the steering failure if not oil leakage, was there any structural failure? Doesn't seem so because it was working later on.

Unfortunately there is no video of the incident.

Info From FM Executive: Inspection of the vehicle post rescue revealed that there was no oil leakage and steering was fully functional
Trojan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 15:58   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Info From FM Executive: Inspection of the vehicle post rescue revealed that there was no oil leakage and steering was fully functional
Owner's mistake? I think FM must do a thorough Investigation to determine the cause of the incident since the owner has blamed Force for treating customers as "Guinea Pigs". This will instill some confidence in existing and prospective buyers.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 22:34   #701
BHPian

Quote:
I see several threads about Mileage and many asked me so many times before.

Even though it’s typical Gurkha ��, I tracked the complete mileage for first 10 thousand KMs.

Following are the Tests:
- Mileage for Long distance in complete 4 Wheel drive (4H)
- 2 Wheel drive Mileage several times before First Service
- 2 Wheel drive Mileage after First Service

Mileage numbers with Proofs Below:

https://Youtu.be/nFy3LJrm890
Instead of directing us to your videos, it would really be appreciable to put the numbers outright in text, in comments. I know you need views for your channel but it would only be fair not to for simple answers for forum members.
Sran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 22:58   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Instead of directing us to your videos, it would really be appreciable to put the numbers outright in text, in comments. I know you need views for your channel but it would only be fair not to for simple answers for forum members.
Hi Agree with you. May be you missed the complete statement in the post. The intention was to show even the refill and distance properly tracked.

It’s a tiny channel for experience sharing and definitely not for views. (Btw you might be already aware any YouTube views on Team-BHp page does not have any commercial angle, as no ads will be played on web page views, also there I only shared very few videos only related to topic though there are many)

Sharing details here:
*4x4 Drive With A/C:*
8466-8280= 186
18.10 liters
Mileage: 10.28 km/ltr

*2W Drive With A/C: Before Service*
9318-8726 = 592
54 Litres
Mileage: 10.96

*2W Drive With A/C: After First Service*
9537-9318 = 219
18.9 Litres
Mileage: 11.59

I had my first service little early as I was on to Spiti Valley trip and wanted to get vehicle in good condition. And drove few hundred kms after service before starting actual trip.

(I tracked first 15k kms just for my reference, as for our travels only diesel is major expense, food and stay is taken care of inside vehicle)

I always close the windows and A/C on to avoid outside dust entering car.
I tracked mileage multiple ways
- From Empty Tank to Empty Tank
- From Pump to Pump
And the values are almost same. And 4x4 here is 4H (I wanted to check the leakages I had before permanently fixed with enough kms and and I know many would disagree with this, but I used it only when force technician specifically mentioned it’s allowed to use 4H for long distances)

Last edited by StudiousWandere : 20th March 2022 at 23:11.
StudiousWandere is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 20:45   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone - any idea why the 5 door version has the headlamps from the Cruiser and not the round ones that the SWB Gurkha has ? Even if not the ones with LED's, IMO it would have looked better with the round headlamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Looks swell with those offset wheels. Wonder if they will make it to the production model.
I hope they dont bring that offset to production. Drag increases, and will reduce the FE.

Quote:
Btw you might be already aware any YouTube views on Team-BHp page does not have any commercial angle
It's not about any commercial angle. It's nice to watch videos of owners and actual users and getting authentic information. However, reading the numbers like you have posted in the above post makes for a quick catch of the important points than having to go thru the full video (even if the video is short)

Last edited by condor : 21st March 2022 at 21:01.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:09   #704
BHPian

Asterix was recently reviewed by a popular hindi car review channel called Man and Motor. Here is the video for anyone who may want to watch it.

I had given dur credit to Vignesh for the Special Vehicles Division logo design but they seemed to have edited it out.

Manuuj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 11:52   #705
BHPian

This Holi I got a chance to pose with an older generation Gurkha in Chopta, Uttarakhand. Sharing the photograph here.

I could have a glimpse of interiors of this Gurkha. The seats seem to be modified/ customized. The front passenger seat was moved and tilted forward and the rear passenger seat was a continuous bench type and not individual seats like we see in the new 3 door model. I could see this Gurkha few times climbing up the serpentine single lane road effortlessly, fully loaded with adults and kids and their picnic luggage.

By the way, my wife says this "jodi" of me and Gurkha looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-img20220318wa01784.jpg  

RijuC is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed