Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 11:16   #76
BHPian

re: Force Gurkha Review

Excellent review, as always T-BHP!!

Loved the way the Gurkha looks!! If only it had AT!!

However, there's one thing I can't get my head around.

Check out this link:-
https://www.forcemotors.com/vehicle/traveller-3050

When Force has a 115bhp, 350NM 2.6L engine with them being used in the Traveller, why did they plonk a 90bhp, 250Nm engine on the Gurkha?!

A 115bhp engine would have made better sense on road & 350Nm torque makes a big difference off-road!! And it's the same engine!

Regards,
Powertrain
powertrain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:57   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Check out this link:-
When Force has a 115bhp, 350NM 2.6L engine with them being used in the Traveller, why did they plonk a 90bhp, 250Nm engine on the Gurkha?!
Exactly what many of us in the Forum including myself was complaining about. This is sheer stupidity on their part. Hope they correct this soon.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 12:36   #78
BANNED

Quote:

A 115bhp engine would have made better sense on road & 350Nm torque makes a big difference off-road!! And it's the same engine!

Regards,
Powertrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Exactly what many of us in the Forum including myself was complaining about. This is sheer stupidity on their part. Hope they correct this soon.
There is only one thing we all can do as Gurkha enthusiasts - visit the showroom for a test drive and give written feedback on this topic. I feel even 1 dozen feedback notes are received pan-India from multiple showroom geographies, they might sit up and review the case for an update some 6mo to 1yr later.

I suspect the motivation would have been to impress the "Kitna Deti Hai" skeptics with some good figures!

Last edited by Ragul : 17th September 2021 at 12:39.
Old 17th September 2021, 12:41   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
There is only one thing we all can do as Gurkha enthusiasts - visit the showroom for a test drive
I happened to drive this engine in the previous gen Gurkha which has a slightly less bhp/torque rating. If you are a person who generally drives in a leisured manner, this engine will do as the low end and mid range is good. However, if you drive fast, then this engine is not for you. It completely lacks any top end and gearing is short.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 13:02   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suspect the motivation would have been to impress the "Kitna Deti Hai" skeptics with some good figures!
The engine is whatever is available with Force doing duties in Cruiser and Toofan, more to do with passing the emission norms for this category of vehicles rather than fuel efficiency.
Old 17th September 2021, 13:34   #81
BHPian

I'm really surprised on what FORCE MOTORS is offering, never expected so much refinement from FORCE MOTORS anyday. Easily the best FORCE ever built !

FORCE got a golden opportunity to go mainstream in personal segment with this product. Also there is a space left by Tata Motors in the ladder frame UV passenger space to grow, thumbs up FORCE.

If the marketing and sales team work together this time, this 'G' got the potential to do good numbers.

By the way why cant FORCE go to FCA and plonk the 140/170ps BS6 MULTIJET 2.0 on GURKHA ?

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 17th September 2021 at 13:36.
Old 17th September 2021, 13:41   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Maybe OT, but the above happening is very unlikely. Inspite of being a Scorpio owner, I am no Mahindra fanboy, but have to admit that M&M royally trumps Force w.r.t:

1. Authorised service centre network (in tier 2, 3 cities and rural areas too)
2. If you don't want to use the ASCs (like me), most independent garages can easily service/trouble shoot a Bolero.
3. Related to 2, commonly needed spares are easily available in most auto spares shops, or even online.

Admiring and drooling over the Gurkha online, and actually buying it are two quite different things, and I haven't seen many people who have the guts to do it. I can assure you that the typical Bolero buyer is not one of them.
It looks like things might change with this tie-up?
Quote:
The new Gurkha will initially be available across select locations in key markets. The SUV will be introduced in other markets in a phased manner. Force Motors India offers a standard warranty of 1.5 lakh km/three years and four free services. Additionally, the company has also tied up with Auto Europa India, which has over 6,200 touchpoints for on-road assistance
From Gurkha Press Release

Can someone shed some light on the history and presence of AE in India and how they will manage to cover small towns and remote locations?

Last edited by Ragul : 17th September 2021 at 13:42.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 13:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When Force has a 115bhp, 350NM 2.6L engine with them being used in the Traveller, why did they plonk a 90bhp, 250Nm engine on the Gurkha?
Not sure why they did it, maybe it will be to keep the costs low and mileage high. But, it may also be that the 5 door variants may come with the engine in more powerful state of tune, and the 3 door will continue with this motor, and maybe (a big M-A-Y-B-E) some more variants in the future with the more powerful motor as well.

Just my thoughts, not sure and I have no insider information...
Old 17th September 2021, 14:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It looks like things might change with this tie-up?

From Gurkha Press Release
If they do change for the better, then good for Force Motors and their prospective customers

Though, the 6200 touch points for on road assistance seems more like pan-India RSA services for help in case of breakdowns/accidents, towing, flat beds etc. rather than actual authorised service centres.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th September 2021 at 14:03.
Old 17th September 2021, 18:56   #85
RJM
BHPian

I must say an excellent effort by force motors to get the gurkha to the level it is in present avatar, however, it again somehow feels short of expectation. Force had enough time in evaluating Thar and its plus points, a 5 door Gurkha launch with AT and an engine producing 140+ HP would have been a cracker. it would have taken Thar out of its comfort zone and created a bench mark for rest to follow.

It would have been easier for Force because they already have had expedition 5 door. Jimny would be a slightly different animal as it is a global car and has large fan base, so i presume it will demand premium once launched.

But again, Im sure Force has a strategy for it. certainly more user friendly than thar in accessing the rear and space wise.
Old 17th September 2021, 20:26   #86
BHPian

Great effort by Force motors.
  • Better interiors - check.
  • Android Auto/Apple Carplay - check
  • Airbags and seat belts. - check. Though 3 point seat belts could be provided.
  • Retain previous credentials (snorkel, front/rear diff lock, amazing looks, hard top) - check
  • Better rear seat (with panoramic view) - check
The engine could have been better (115ps/350Nm).
What can work against the pricing is that the length is 4116mm whereas Thar is below 4000mm attracting lower taxes.
Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:02   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
What can work against the pricing is that the length is 4116mm whereas Thar is below 4000mm attracting lower taxes.
Does Thar attract lower taxes? Regardless of the length a car maker still has to have a petrol engine <= 1.2L and diesel engine <= 1.5L to actually fall under the lower taxed bracket right?
JithinR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 22:06   #88
BHPian

I stand corrected. Now I wonder why Mahindra restricted Thar to 3985mm. A bit more boot wouldn't hurt (at the expense of departure angle).
Old 18th September 2021, 17:20   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sharing the full press release as received for those wanting more details:
New Force Gurkha owners will love it for the fact that it doesn't require AdBlue like others. No hassle of topping up from time to time or the fear of running out of it especially during the unplanned excursions. It's a great step by the Force motors. These small things definitely will give it an edge over others. I hope Force motors improves their after sales service support which would further elevate the ownership experience.
Phantom 510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 09:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Gurkha's new TVC is out now:

AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks