Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 13:06   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

A nice video on the new Gurkha by Sirish from EVO India - apologies if it has been posted here earlier. Makes me want to go and book one right away This one has the old-school SUV charm by bucket-loads, not to mention the insane off-road prowess.

BTW, a query on rear seats' access - going by the video, I understand that front seats do not tumble forward and the only way for someone to get to rear seats is via the rear door. How would this work if the rear bay is loaded with luggage? Seems like the only way would be to haul himself/herself over the luggage OR remove some amount of luggage to make way. If so, it's quite inconvenient. Wouldn't a simpler alternative have been to provide tumble mechanism for the front seats? Am I missing anything here?
Old 22nd October 2021, 13:13   #227
BHPian

Hi
Now things seem to be moving along with availability of display vehicles first by next week for sure .Subsequently we may move more quickly towards deliveries too
I will be very interested to know from Manuuj about his thinking in adding the Gurkha to his Endeavour especially as he has owned a Fortuner too earlier I understand he had to sell it only because of the new regulations in the NCR
I am planning to retain my Fortuner AWD for as long as possible The older Thar provided the joy of the " jeep ride" which we really enjoyed as kids which complemented the strengths of the Fortuner
In addition the Thar could be taken off road with great abandon which I could not bring myself to do with the Fortuner
The new Gurkha ,I think , will be a great replacement for and updating of the old Thar
This is what I am hoping for
I look forward on hearing others thoughts on this aspect , especially Manuuj
The alloy wheels being offered as accessories look quite good although slightly wider tyres might augment the appearance even better
But I am thinking that it is best to stick to what the company has tested Are there any points in favour of OEM steel wheels vs alloys specific to this Gurkha that anyone feels ?
Shekhar Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 20:04   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar Rao View Post
Hi
Now things seem to be moving along with availability of display vehicles first by next week for sure .Subsequently we may move more quickly towards deliveries too
I will be very interested to know from Manuuj about his thinking in adding the Gurkha to his Endeavour ....
I really do hope that deliveries of vehicles are not too late. I will be quite low down on the list already I'm afraid since i haven't even made my booking yet. I prefer to do so only once I've driven a vehicle.

But going by what Trojan has said I am quite confident that it should be a pleasant experience.

My explanation about having both the Endeavour and the Gurkha is summarised most aptly by the expression "Different courses for different horses".

The Endeavour is a very capable offroad vehicle and one can munch about a 800-1000 kms in a day in it without feeling tired. At the same time stop start traffic in the city is a breeze too. I have taken it to the worst that Spiti could throw at it and it handled it all without breaking a sweat.

Then why do i need then Gurkha? I would use it for daily puttering about town and for more severe offroad excursions which i don't do with my Endeavour and as you said "with great abandon".

Damage to the Endeavour can be quite a costly affair to put right. The Gurkha looks indestructible.

Furthermore the overly computerised and automated Endeavour scares me sometimes and I like the basic, no nonsense "analog" vehicle the Gurkha is. I would not have even minded wind up windows. Had them in my Qualis and it worked just fine.

Right now my daily drive is the Endeavour and I use it for pretty much everything from going to work to fetching milk and veggies. I would like to divide that up between the Gurkha and the Endy.

Also since I've had the shiny new Endeavour I have been bullied way too much on the road by autos and bikes with no concept of lane driving or basic traffic sense/manners. I will use the Gurkha to exact my revenge upon them. Not kidding. I miss the carefree way I used to drive my MM540 DP and the Qualis too.

Now that Ford has left India i would like to keep the mileage on my Endeavour low so it will be easier to sell when i do decide to do so. The Gurkha will help here too as i will use it as my daily drive now.

As far as the Alloy wheels go I will be using these "Zero Offset" 160 X 5 PCD alloys which are 8 inches wide.

Force Gurkha Review-20211019_135911.jpg

They are only 1.5 inches wider than these 6.5 Inch alloys shown below that the Gurkha comes with and identical in all other respects.

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20210924110802_chrome.jpg

I finally managed to source the alloys i like. (even before booking the Gurkha) In some ways i have to get the Gurkha now since the alloys are already here..

There is nothing wrong with keeping stock alloys on a vehicle. Infact i retained the stock alloys on my Camry Hybrid, Fortuner and Endeavour too. But one has to like the Stock Alloys in order to retain them.

Steel wheels are quite heavy when compared to Alloy wheels and may impact the already heavy hydraulic steering of the Gurkha. They are more practical offroad ofcourse though as they are stronger and can be bent back into shape.

I am not changing the diameter of the Alloy wheel either ofcourse. Keeping it at 16 inches.

Nothing uglier or stupider than an offroader with 20 or 24 inch alloy wheels in my humble opinion. One might as well get these..
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211018180827_chrome.jpg

Last edited by Manuuj : 22nd October 2021 at 20:07. Reason: Spelling error rectified.
Manuuj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:29   #229
BHPian

Some updates I could gather
  • Gurkha Test drive delay is credited to last minute quality issues, then each vehicle is driven from Indore plant to your dealer.
  • Vehicle is only driver 400KM per day, if you are in Bangalore once your dealer is billed it will take 4-5 days to reach.
  • Most test drive vehicles are on road as we speak, farther you are from Indore later you will see it in showroom.
  • Force drivers will do the run in for you by driving vehicle from Indore plant to your dealer.
  • I know you wanted to do Motoman Break In, but good thing is you can go pedal to metal right out of showroom, even tires, brake pads are ready
  • Force expected demand for White color, but most booking were Green.
  • At this point you can get White readily, Green is on back order.
  • Even if you had booked on day 1 most likely Green delivery will be Mid-Late November.
If you are normy by now you would have gone nuts with PDI etc but as a Gurkha customers I am happy Force even considered making Gurkha
PhantomLord is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:48   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLord View Post
Some updates I could gather[list][*]Gurkha Test drive delay is credited to last minute quality issues, then each vehicle is driven from Indore plant to your dealer.[*]Vehicle is only driver 400KM per day, if you are in Bangalore once your dealer is billed it will take 4-5 days to reach.[*]Most test drive vehicles are on road as we speak, farther you are from Indore later you will see it in showroom.[*]Force drivers will do the run in for ...
but as a Gurkha customer I am happy Force even considered making Gurkha
Quite surprising since the Mandi dealer told me explicitly that the customer vehicles will come to them loaded on a truck.

Even I am very thankful they updated and relaunched the Gurkha!
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:05   #231
BHPian

it was nice reading about the plans for the Endeavour and Gurkha combination
Will there be need for a specific tyre to fit the 8 inch diameter alloy wheel in comparison to the 6.5 inch stock one ? I did understand that for good off road performance, a moderate size wheel i.e 16 or 17 inch with a good side wall height such as 50 to 60-65 mm is good
What exactly are the pros of large diameter wheels ? With bicycles,29 inch wheels are advised to clear obstacles more easily as compared to the standard 26 inch MTB wheels
But the downside is that it takes more time and effort to build speed
The other point of interest is the possibility of factory visit and pick up of your vehicle
I have read that some brands in Europe have the possibility of choosing factory visit, a demo at the test track, interaction with engineers, tour of a museum if any and driving off with your vehicle . I had asked the dealer whether such a thing can be made possible in India also
It might be a memorable way to take delivery of your vehicle
The dealer said that such a thing is not possible and that the vehicle will be truck trailer delivered If it is being driven on road , all the more reason to have the option of factory delivery The dealer can of course be the person to do all the other formalities and charge for the same.
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:46   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar Rao View Post
it was nice reading about the plans for the Endeavour and Gurkha combination
Will there be need for a specific tyre to fit the 8 inch diameter alloy wheel in comparison to the 6.5 inch stock one ? I did understand that for good off road performance, a moderate size wheel i.e 16 or 17 inch with a good side wall height such as 50 to 60-65 mm is good
What exactly are the pros of large diameter wheels ? With bicycles,29 inch wheels are advised to clear obstacles more easily as compared to the standard 26 inch MTB wheels
But the downside is that it takes more time and effort to build speed
8 inches is the width of the Alloy wheel. The stock 245/70/16 tyre will fit perfectly but i do intend to get the tyres upgraded for slightly better ground clearance as well as higher sidewall height.

Here is a comparasion. If i can source 245/75/16 i would be happy since i get the height advantage without going in for a wider 265/70/16 tyre which would make the steering heavier as well.
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211018190652_chrome.jpg
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211019185643_chrome.jpg

The idea is to gain a bit of ground clearance with these taller tyres that would also suit the Gurkhas dimensions and overall shape.

I would have ideally bought BFG'S but since they are nearly impossible to source due to the extremely idiotic ban (but lets not call it a ban) by the DGFT on the import of tyres and especially the 16 inch size requirement for the Gurkha i will settle for Apollo Apterra AT2's in 245/75R16 size.

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211019191900_chrome.jpg

I know they are far inferior to the BFG's but we don't have a choice now do we.

As far as the 26 inch tyres vs the 29 inch tyres in a bicycle the larger wheel is more stable and affords higher speeds also. That has been my experience.
I had a Suncross 26er earlier but now ride a Trek X Caliber 8 which is a 29er. I find the ride quality and control to be much much better but that could also be due to the engineering of Trek bikes and not the wheel diameter alone.
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:55   #233
BHPian

I checked earlier this month with a dealer in Pune about BFGs for the new Gurkha and he said some stocks are awaiting clearance at the port (no idea which port) but said if I book, he can arrange delivery. He also clarified he had no idea what stocks are awaiting clearance but quoted a price of 16,500/- per tyre. I think maybe Delhi dealers are not getting their stock. Maybe if some BHPian in Mumbai can check?
mygodbole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:09   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Some updates I could gather
  • Gurkha Test drive delay is credited to last minute quality issues, then each vehicle is driven from Indore plant to your dealer
Last minute quality issues is scary thought.

Quote:
  • Vehicle is only driver 400KM per day, if you are in Bangalore once your dealer is billed it will take 4-5 days to reach.
  • Force drivers will do the run in for you by driving vehicle from Indore plant to your dealer.
When I booked my Gurkha 10 years ago, I paid Rs. 10,000/- odd extra and they send it through a truck for me. I wasn't comfortable with some driver driving my brand new vehicle from the Pune to Kochi. My Gurkha came with 3 Kms on the odo.

Quote:
  • Force expected demand for White color, but most booking were Green.
This is understandable. Green looks so hot and is my pick too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
For some reason only known to Force Motors they went with a 16 inch Rim in 160x5 PCD.
Bro, 160 PCD x 5 is the most common one in the Indian SUVs. It is there in the 1) Safari, 2) Safari Storme 2) Sumo, 3) Hexa, 4) Scorpio (Until 3rd Gen) 5) Bolero, 6) Force, etc, etc.

If you want 31 inch height best go for 245/75/R16. Dont go for 265/70/R16. The engine is underpowered as it is and such large tyres will further sap the Torque and make it feel even more under powered. 245/75/R16 will give you an inch more in GC.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:10   #235
BHPian

I finalized my order for the green Gurkha yesterday, lucky for me they had one ready at the dealership. I am expecting delivery this Wednesday or Thursday.
hazchem is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 13:03   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Quite surprising since the Mandi dealer told me explicitly that the customer vehicles will come to them loaded on a truck.
What I could gather from various reasons given, Force could not accommodate enough number of Gurkahs in a truck to be viable due to its height. Again I am not sure if they have enough numbers to get economical contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
When I booked my Gurkha 10 years ago, I paid Rs. 10,000/- odd extra and they send it through a truck for me. I wasn't comfortable with some driver driving my brand new vehicle from the Pune to Kochi. My Gurkha came with 3 Kms on the odo.
I am still in talks for alternative, self transport is expensive due border taxes and recent fuel prices.

Last edited by PhantomLord : 23rd October 2021 at 13:05.
Old 23rd October 2021, 13:04   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem View Post
I finalized my order for the green Gurkha yesterday, lucky for me they had one ready at the dealership. I am expecting delivery this Wednesday or Thursday.
Many congratulations! Please keep us posted. Looking forward to your detailed ownership review
Old 23rd October 2021, 16:30   #238
BHPian

Finally saw the Gurkha in the flesh and its a beast! Here is a teaser pic. Will be driving home now and will post many pics and observations in the evening.

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_135527.jpg

After a 12 to 1 pm meeting in Noida today I drove for 1.5 hours to the Force Motors showroom located on the GT Karnal road to finally see the Gurkha in the flesh.

First impression was WOW! Its much bigger than it looks in the pics. Most photos I've seen have the Gurkha standing on its own which lacks the perspective one gets when its standing with something to compare it with.

I will quickly give my initial observations pointwise and then post the pics i took today.

* Its a big imposing vehicle with huge street presence. Thar's really should avoid being parked next to one.

* Ingress is quite high. Higher than it looks. It is not possible to get in without the sidestep even for tall people. I am 5 ft 11 inches and could not just walk in.

* For a vehicle this high, the ground clearance is really low. There is an additional protective plate for the gearbox and transfer case which sits really quite low and bang in the front middle portion.

* Headlights are amazing as are the pilot lights/indicators. The LED looked very effective even during the day.

* Music system looks fiddly. Sounded fine.

* Tyres were Ceat and not Apollo and looked undersized.

* Rims said Neo instead of F for Force.

* Seats were firm but quite supportive and comfortable.

* Plastic quality of the dashboard was much much better than I expected. I looked idiotic giving it a real "feel up" and smiling. The sales person looked a bit perplexed by my actions but i found the Dashboard plastic quality very very acceptable. Especially when compared to the outgoing model.

* The exhaust ran about till midway of the chassis. Would have been nice to have it sticking out from the side but that would have impacted ramp breakover angle I expect.

* Rear lights were very nice and the Gurkha lools quite tall from the back.

* It looks good from almost every angle.

* Key fob is decent and the Ignition slot is illuminated (imagine in a Gurkha! It used to have the tacho in the center of the dash remember..)

* The instrument cluster looks really good and lights up like a Christmas tree.

* I could not figure out how the cornering light function works.

Over all I am very impressed with the Gurkha. Cannot wait for a test drive.

The one thing that irked me though was that the sales person said that I have to take the Alloy wheels from the company (Force Motors) by paying Rs. 38,000 extra.
They will refuse delivery with steel rims. It is a new company directive.

I will contact Nitesh ji incharge of Sales in North and find out if that is true. Sounds quite unfair. Why not give people a choice to order the car with Alloy wheels or Steel wheels?

Alloys are not part of the ex-showroom cost and are listed as an accessory by the way.

Lets hope better sense prevails.

Enjoy the pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141425.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141908.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141850.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141209.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141156.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141829.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141149.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141748.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141740.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_143851.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141136.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_140552.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141644.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141506.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141438.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_140114.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141320.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_135557.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141305.jpg  

Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141842.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th October 2021 at 12:00. Reason: back to back posts merged
Manuuj is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 05:53   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
They will refuse delivery with steel rims. It is a new company directive.
Thanks for the pics and the write up.

The issue with the alloys seems to be dealer scam. Firstly as per MV rules even changing from steel disks to alloys is technically illegal. Some states like Kerala enforce it vociferously, some don't. So, there is no way this will fly if Force Motors is legally challenged.

The other thing I noticed in the price list posted earlier is that the Music system is a 56K accessory. That's a lot of money to pay for a piddly OE system. With 56K, one can get a much better system. If the System is an accessory, I will put my foot down and refuse to pay 56K for that system !!.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 06:56   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

The other thing I noticed in the price list posted earlier is that the Music system is a 56K accessory. That's a lot of money to pay for a piddly OE system. With 56K, one can get a much better system. If the System is an accessory, I will put my foot down and refuse to pay 56K for that system !!.
I think it was 18k but yes your point is valid. An accessory cannot be forced onto anyone. I think this must be a dealer push rather than from the company
howler is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed