Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 23:12   #571
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
-
- It would be great if someone can actually put up the detailed "warranty" list. The video states that the 1.5L or 3Y warranty isn't for end to end vehicle, I can understand 11 months or 1Y warranty for electricals but different warranty period (6 months?!) for different parts hidden is something I believe isn't acceptable. I've read that previously in Mohammed's gurkha ownership review here and actually went and checked at showroom and the sales guy told me that there's nothing like that and its all covered now.
Even today during our discussion in the workshop senior person from Gurkha known by all owners started the discussion with me on the same lines. Please do not worry sir, the warranty is for 3 years and 1.5L km. Even though I know him from multiple investigations, I asked to re-confirm his position and the authenticity of what he is sharing with me. Then he got into actual details and agreed to it. If you check now, the main Gurkha Website even now detailed information is not available.

There are 5 schedules or categories to the warranty.
- First Schedule items have no warranty
- Second Schedule items have 6 months or 50k km warranty
- Third Schedule items have 12months or 1L Kms Warranty
- Fourth Schedule items for 18months or 1.5L km warranty
- Fifth Schedule items have 36months or 1.5L km warrenty

And what would surprise you are 2 things
* The 3 years or 1.5L km warranty what is being advertised applies only to fuel tank, gear house housing, and only few engine components and nothing else. You would never know this until you really buy a Gurkha like me. I goto got fooled seeing those ads and website descriptions.

* And most of the issues I reported might be caused by manufacturing defects and come under 6 months warranty only. Even today I had long discussions with senior folks from Force, who would take responsibility and financial liability when issues occur again after a 6-month warranty. They clearly are not willing to take responsibility even if it's a manufacturing defect. Then you would know, who has to take the financial pain?

Some of our issues. They are even more and it actually takes effort to document it and I do not have such paitence.

Last edited by StudiousWandere : 16th January 2022 at 23:38.
StudiousWandere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 01:23   #572
BHPian

A scheduled or categorised warranty should be acceptable, if it is clearly mentioned in spec sheet, explained to the buyer properly before the buying decision. Nobody would give 3 years warranty on regular wear and tear items, or the electronics parts etc.
Old 17th January 2022, 03:48   #573
BHPian

Even I was waiting on the 5 Door. But this is unfortunate.

Not all people will have an internet presence like this channel has, nor have the ability to make and edit a video to voice your honest experiences.
There could be a Gurkha with worse experiences than @SW and has to live with it because the only ASC for kilometers says so.

I think you should be given a new vehicle @Studious Wanderer
I can't see any other way this should turn out to be.
The vehicle they gave you is defective no matter what warranty policies they have in place.
And no car should have this many rusty/dysfunctional QC bits passing down to the customer level.

I think your car's issues could have been flagged at the FM Factory itself before it was sent down. I feel there's some lapse in QC on FMs end.

It's something that the caring and incredibly homely staffs at the dealership level have to face.

Now I am curious about how extensively FM is testing the vehicle?

There have to be some stress-testing procedures in place to handle things like humidity, salinity along with heat and cold.

Besides the driving capabilities and mechanical component abuse tests. I hope Force goes and tests the vehicle across different terrains/conditions in our beautiful and diverse India and not just ARAI testing if their thing works.

We all love the Gurkha. We want it to do well in the world of pseudo-SUVs. We all want FM to do well with this vehicle. Rooting for it being a fan of the Gurkha. We ignore the differences for the vehicle which revs our hearts.

Kudos to FM for keeping it alive in the first place, truly fuelled by the passion of its fans it lives. But I believe the "SUV" landscape has evolved with time.

The customers deserve the vehicle to be at par with other vehicles which are designed to do much less and not climb to places or get abused for recreational fun.
Only then the Gurkha won't be labeled 'Agricultural' or 'rudimentary', or like the reviewers say, 'old' and 'cheap'.

I understand no vehicle is perfect. But I can't believe it. I am waiting for a 5-door Gurkha. But sadly the realities in this video rob me of the confidence of investing in it right now.

it seems my 5 Door Gurkha, it's at least one or two generations away.
ThatBalenoGuy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 05:40   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBalenoGuy View Post
I feel the exact same way!

I love the way Gurkha looks and am satisfied with the 3 door version for my use. But, what's the use if it doesn't perform up to the expectation?

I still hope the company takes immediate actions to rectify the shortcomings and give us some confidence. Else, it may be a generation or two for now, but if something better comes, Force may lose customers forever as well.

Praveen
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 05:43   #575
Senior - BHPian

This is what I had commented on earlier, that Force Motors would need to meet the expectations of regular urban consumers. This is what also what happens when you try to emerge out of relative obscurity to the mainstream limelight. The moles and warts also show up prominently. Some other manufacturers are still getting over this hump after so many years.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 08:53   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Even I was waiting on the 5 Door. But this is unfortunate.

Not all people will have an internet presence like this channel has, nor have the ability to make and edit a video to voice your honest experiences.
There could be a Gurkha with worse experiences than @SW and has to live with it because the only ASC for kilometers says so.

The vehicle they gave you is defective no matter what warranty policies they have in place.
And no car should have this many rusty/dysfunctional QC bits passing down to the customer level.
I always shared and will continue share the positive things we had with Gurkha. If the issues mentioned by me are put a side for a moment, we still have great experiences with the vehicle.

There is also more to it, for the quality control including the PDI done at the dealer end. I can even prove PDI is not done for my vehicle with facts, which is a basic mandatory check to be done before delivering to the customer. And this is in addition to the extensive quality and integrations checks done at the manufacturing site.

You can’t expect some customer like me who do not understand automobile right and trust company and dealer for technicality to open and test all parts before delivery. Though I did as much as I can as a layman and noticed several issues including the differentials didn’t work before delivery. They fixed it before me then. So I didn’t have any confidence of using them when I got into situation and stuck in sand during recent trip in a remote location with a family.

This was my honest feedback I have given to FM senior folks yesterday during discussion. This is amazing vehicle and especially hundreds of people came to me during my recent trip enquiring for its details and loved it. If they improve quality at manufacturing plat which would also reduce after sales burden and do PDI honestly at dealer end before delivery this vehicle sales would skyrocket and would be unbeatable.
StudiousWandere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 09:05   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
A scheduled or categorised warranty should be acceptable, if it is clearly mentioned in spec sheet, explained to the buyer properly before the buying decision. Nobody would give 3 years warranty on regular wear and tear items, or the electronics parts etc.
What I’ve observed in most manufacturers is that they cover everything except wear and tear parts for the max warranty period (oils, fluids, break pads, tyres and clutch plates etc. ) and electrical items get 1 year warranty. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I actually asked time and again for the vehicle manual and they never provided it to me. I really hope someone will publish a picture of the warranty schedule here so that we as potential buyers are Caveat emptor

Quote:

I think your car's issues could have been flagged at the FM Factory itself before it was sent down. I feel there's some lapse in QC on FMs end.

Now I am curious about how extensively FM is testing the vehicle?

Only then the Gurkha won't be labeled 'Agricultural' or 'rudimentary', or like the reviewers say, 'old' and 'cheap'.

I understand no vehicle is perfect. But I can't believe it. I am waiting for a 5-door Gurkha. But sadly the realities in this video rob me of the confidence of investing in it right now.

- +1 Studiouswanderer must be given a new vehicle - serious rusting and driving from factory to showroom on unbalanced and non-aligned wheels shows the QC fail and something is seriously wrong at the factory itself.

- What sort of Vehicle testing they did is something even I’m curious about. Because from what I gather, someone at finance must’ve approved the cheaper “engine packing” or gaskets to save a few pennies which is turning more expensive for them in the longer run. I really hope it’s just that and not a R&D failure.

- don’t worry, I’m sure we don’t need to wait for “generations” to pick our vehicles up, I only see two or three issues here which can be fixed at manufacturing line itself and will pick up once those are sorted.

1 - better engine/gearbox packing/gasket materials
2 - ensure the wheels/tyres are aligned and balanced when leaving the factory.
3 - how hard will it be to simply put a ₹1000 (or cheaper if they buy in bulk) rear camera and increase the cost of vehicle by 3K (I’m being very generous here) and give it as a whole package instead of making the customers wait for hours at showroom/unauthorised places to open up the panels and get that thing installed. Hell, instead of the TPMS with issues, replace it with a camera and nobody will complain.

Also I wonder why even TPMS? It’s good to have but not a necessity like rear camera. Most vehicles on road don’t have TPMS and we’re just fine.

Also if FM wants to be a “Lamborghini mocked by Ferrari”, they need to put in the efforts and show the quality. Not miss basics.
AjayV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 12:00   #578
Senior - BHPian

Although, I love the Gurkha as a whole and was considering it as my next purchase (5-door), these issues are a bit worrisome. I would be more than happy if Force motors is able to resolve these issues. They cannot risk a negative publicity especially when i see customers and surprisingly families showing Interest, the recent Spiti drive had more of the new models attending the event than the previous gen.
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 12:14   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Although, I love the Gurkha as a whole and was considering it as my next purchase (5-door), these issues are a bit worrisome. I would be more than happy if Force motors is able to resolve these issues. They cannot risk a negative publicity especially when i see customers and surprisingly families showing Interest, the recent Spiti drive had more of the new models attending the event than the previous gen.
Exactly Brother, I have requested test drive of the new Gurkha and FM has acknowledged with sincerity. BUT the common quality issues of the new Gurkha as visible before us on this forum is bothering me too; if I should invest in the new Gurkha as my second go-anywhere vehicle, even though my primary vehicle has a Ground Clearance of 205mm, but my heart is longing for the torquey diesel motor of Gurkha.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 16:44   #580
BHPian

I received a call from FM to give me a daily update on the fixes done so far, on my new Gurkha.
I liked this new approach after a bad experience so far. Hope they continue this proactiveness and a new approach with all customers for a better after-sales experience. And he assured me and confidence of permanent fixes and not workarounds.

I am a big fan of Thar too and have driven it multiple times for Test before finalizing Gurkha. Gurkha fits my requirement more within the same budget. With some serious quality checks, I am sure this is an amazing vehicle in the market now.

Also, chances of customization are much easier on Gurkha when compared with others due to the complete hard body and no extra support needed.

The first thing we did when we got our Gurkha before starting our travel, is to get a Roof Top tent to avoid hotel stays due to the prevailing Covid situation. And can use same setup for both Roof Rack Carrier and Tent based on the travel and need within a few mins.

Got some parallel columns created that fit permanently with C-Shaped columns which come with Force Gurkha Roof Rack Carrier.

Name:  Gurkha Roof rack.png
Views: 818
Size:  689.4 KB

StudiousWandere is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:43   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudiousWandere View Post
I received a call from FM to give me a daily update on the fixes done so far, on my new Gurkha.
I liked this new approach after a bad experience so far. Hope they continue this proactiveness and a new approach with all customers for a better after-sales experience. And he assured me and confidence of permanent fixes and not workarounds.
So please share what did he tell you in the call, any issues fixed or still researching? Seeing the thar issues thread, Gurkha suddenly appears more reliable

Can you please share the warranty details? Or anyone else please? I'm very intrigued by the clauses and want to see "what" is covered till "when".
AjayV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 20:14   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
So please share what did he tell you in the call, any issues fixed or still researching? Seeing the thar issues thread, Gurkha suddenly appears more reliable

Can you please share the warranty details? Or anyone else please? I'm very intrigued by the clauses and want to see "what" is covered till "when".

I am sorry, I do not want to share conversation details as he is still employee of FM and I can understand how it goes. But I iterated, only changing parts will not do, though I may not understand automobile I expect them to find the origin of each issues, and fix the problem at origin. And expect them to share those details with me. (I still doubt if they would be shared with me &#128512

Though I am having quality issues with FM, my first point of contact is a nice and good technical guy.

Attaching warranty details as images. Let me know if you are looking anything specific.

Force Gurkha Review-1.jpeg

Force Gurkha Review-2.jpeg

Force Gurkha Review-3.jpeg

Force Gurkha Review-4.jpeg

Force Gurkha Review-5.jpeg

Force Gurkha Review-6.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 18th January 2022 at 22:40. Reason: Image orientation
StudiousWandere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 21:12   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

^ So the only warranty this vehicle has is 'Goodwill' . The schedule 1 section D is very interesting, their claim of unmatched warranty is very apt, absolutely nothing in this vehicle is covered in warranty.

What about emissions warranty?
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:35   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
^ So the only warranty this vehicle has is 'Goodwill' . The schedule 1 section D is very interesting, their claim of unmatched warranty is very apt, absolutely nothing in this vehicle is covered in warranty.

What about emissions warranty?
Actually I am very surprised with this warranty. I bought the vehicle seeing unmatched 1.5Lakhs kms and 3 years warranty. Even now if you open Gurkha website the same is mentioned with a condition to refer to owners manual for more details. And you would have owners manual only after really buy it

The same was communicated during test drives and while booking the vehicle to us, about no condition 3 years unmatched warranty.
But I can understand for electrical, battery etc etc who does have shorter life.

Even when I was having discussion with FM senior folks on last Sunday on my vehicle issues, the first point of discussion was about 3 years warranty. As I mentioned before most of issues I had are either under no warranty or 6 months warranty. So I cannot pay from my pocket each month for manufacturing defects
Anyways that’s another discussion and I will hope they fix my vehicle permanently or replace it.

The emissions warranty might cover several related things like Fuel injectors, Fuel pump, emission system, ignition etc etc. someone can correct me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th January 2022 at 10:04. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks.
StudiousWandere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:42   #585
BHPian

Schedule I is actually very interesting.

Consumables, I can understand like oil, brake pads and clutch plates. But belts, cables, hoses, that's extreme. Those must have at least 1 year warranty. Even insurance covers glass 100% irrespective of age!! yet they exclude window glass. This is on another level.

Also, expecting the customer to reach out to part manufacturer especially for ECU, sensors etc. is also extreme. I can understand tyres. Infotainment system only to some extent if they give a separate warranty card for it.

Stuff in Schedule II must be clubbed with Schedule III

FM better give the hand out warranty cards for those from their respective manufacturers.

They don't even trust the stuff they put in their product the moment it leaves factory!!

I'm genuinely curious whether other manufacturers have such clauses. Seniors/Learned/people with alternative vehicles, kindly chip in. I've only observed 1 year for electrical components and 2/3 years for engine/body - obviously consumables like oil etc are never covered by anyone. I don't know, I feel this is oddly specific or extreme. It isn't very confidence inspiring.
AjayV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed