Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2022, 13:57   #721
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Gurkha was spotted with 18-inch Ceat Czar AT tyres a few days back, by AutoSpy, on the streets of Pune.
Isn't that the new Thar's tire size 255/65R18? Considerably larger than the 29.5 inchers Gurkha was launched with. Wonder if there were any mechanical upgrades to go with this new tire size.
Old 14th April 2022, 14:35   #722
BHPian

I heard these wheels would be a new addition to the Gurkha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post

The bigger AT tyres might definitely bring the effective ground clearance higher and end the scraping issue some owners were facing while off roading due to the bash plate design.
Sideline thoughts: Catch22. The increased GC would again plonk it into a higher tax bracket, which necessitated the intentional bash plate design in the first place.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 08:09   #723
BHPian

I was at Hyderabad for work and test drove the Gurkha with my friend. But due to Hanuman jayanti festivities, there was severe congestion and we could not manage a longer one. But the executive Mr. Rahim has invited us again for a proper On-Off road experience.

My experience -
  • The seats are too comfortable
  • The gear lever is slight of a stretch
  • Interiors are ok, no worries!
  • TPMS looks out of place
  • Acceleration is slow but ok, should be cautious while overtaking on two lane highways
  • The road presence is superb!

My friend driving a SUV for the first time
Force Gurkha Review-img_8663.jpg

Small obstacle adjacent to the showroom
Name:  3045135DDF8E43629772D6B012FC945A.GIF
Views: 1488
Size:  1.57 MB

Easy for a first timer
Force Gurkha Review-img_8667.jpg

Last edited by 2himanshu : 18th April 2022 at 08:10.
2himanshu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:46   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post
Easy for a first timer
Could not ignore the resemblance with the pic when I had taken the TD of the old Gurkha. PS: It is not me in the pic
Force Gurkha Review-20180511_133358.jpg
Jaguar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 19:52   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Could not ignore the resemblance with the pic when I had taken the TD of the old Gurkha. PS: It is not me in the pic
Attachment 2298101
🙂 Even in my post, it's my friend
Old 21st April 2022, 13:17   #726

Sharing a question about the Gurkha that I'd posted on @Manuuj's ownership thread

Quote:
Quick question though. I am planning a change (waiting for Oct to get a Gurkha with 6 airbags) and the Gurkha is definitely it. My only thought is, can I use it as a daily driver?

Occasional road trips and boredom drives on the Outer Ring Road aside, I drive a fair bit in the city. To elaborate more, I work from home, so no work commutes are made. However I do find myself making quite a bit of wee little drives around town on errands or shopping, and before I know it, I've crossed ~ 1k kilometers a month.

Can I do this in the Gurkha and let my existing car go? Or do I need to retain my ageing Punto Evo diesel for this?
Would it be prudent to have the Gurkha as a daily driver in a scenario where there are no home-office commutes but intermittent city driving?
Old 21st April 2022, 21:45   #727
Senior - BHPian

Depends on many factors really.

Can you manage the frequent getting in and out without spraining your back or waist?

Can you manage the heft in city traffic?

If you don't mind these, then why not?

You could keep your existing car around for a few months while you break the Gurkha in, and then choose.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 11:39   #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Can you manage the frequent getting in and out without spraining your back or waist?
Haha, no problem for me or the wife kids but this is food for thought when it comes to my aged parents/inlaws who are frequent travel companions, one at a time at least. Perhaps I should get a footstool and keep it in the back permanently

Quote:
Can you manage the heft in city traffic?
The heft is more of an advantage, really, and I won't really mind it. Especially with the footstool handy. Steering wise I have driven it and am comfortable with the feel of the car.

Quote:
You could keep your existing car around for a few months while you break the Gurkha in, and then choose.
This sounds like a good idea, but the question of holding on to the Evo isn't because im worried about the road worthiness or drivability of the Gurkha.

In fact, im quite fond of the Punto Evo and only want to think of letting go in case the financials don't permit keeping both. One thing that bothers me about holding on to both is the need for two sets of annual service costs and insurance premiums, which is a strong concern.

AFAIK a no heavy use scenario for the Punto still racks up ~ 7-8k of maintenance and ~ 6k of insurance yearly. Thats about 14k I can invest into something else.
next_to_random is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:55   #729
BHPian

So while we were invited by Force for the launch and review of the BS6 Gurkha in Sept-2021, we really wanted to spend a little more time with the vehicle, so that we could cover all aspects and situations which one may want to find an answer for.

As it was not possible during that time due to the number of reviews which were happening, we put it off for some time but shared our desire with the folks that sometime in the near future we would like to take the Gurkha for a couple of days at least, so that we can evaluate it properly.

Now we are no famous journalists, nor are we some super popular YouTube channel and FM could have left it at that. But thats not how the team at Force works, they develop and build relations and continue to remain connected much beyond the Sales pitches that are commonly seen with most manufacturers if not all. The team really surpasses customer expectations and they do it with complete involvement and not just for the heck of it.

A few months later once we were back in Pune again (from our farm in Panna, Madhya Pradesh), we were invited for a tour of the factory premises and got a lovely tour of the Gurkha goodie workshop
(I so wish I could share everything that we saw there...)

Test drove the Black Gurkha (it was a secret then and not revealed) and I casually remarked about our request for a vehicle for a couple of days. Voila that was it and by the time we reached home from the Factory tour, a Gray Gurkha had already reached our place and was waiting for us.

I was totally flattered...

And I am absolutely sure, this is the attitude which has helped garner customer confidence and is winning more and more every day!

And so the next day we set upon our drive to Mahabaleshwar to review the BS6 yet again,

And so here goes, but before we do that, here are a few pics

First and foremost...

Blackie

Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220502-3.36.16-pm-1.jpeg

Luggage space, we could manage to stack it properly on our way back (spending time with a vehicle helps) this is the pic from the return. How it was kept while going is seen in the video.

Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220502-3.36.15-pm.jpeg

Parked

Force Gurkha Review-26c67baed4574ac9bb611dfbfafb195f.jpg

Enjoying the views

Force Gurkha Review-img_5009.jpg

On the hilltop after some off-roading

Force Gurkha Review-img_4310.jpg

And finally here is the video...

Changing the 2021 light bulb and

Force Gurkha Review-img_5113.jpg

Signing off

Force Gurkha Review-img_4319.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220502-3.36.16-pm.jpeg  

Trojan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 09:40   #730
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was casually browsing the GeM portal and came across some interesting information. Thought I should share with fellow Bhpians.

1.) Kerala Government is the only government agency (at any level) that seems to have purchased the Gurkha (total 49 in number) in bulk. Cannot say about the Armed Forces as they are not eligible for GeM.

2.) Force Motor lists Gurkha's GC at 150mm and Engine Grade-ability at 15 degrees. This is interesting because while I could not find the official GC of the Gurkha anywhere, the company lists the Grade-ability of the Gurkha at 35 degrees on its official website. Which figure to believe and which not to?

3.) In context of the above, it would be pertinent to note that, on the GeM website, Mahindra lists the GC and Grade-ability of the Thar Petrol (Diesel not listed on GeM) has at 226mm and 25 degrees respectively. This seems more plausible because the Thar enjoys superior power to weight ratio over the Gurkha.

4.) Gurkha has 20% more Indian content by value over the Thar (90% vs 70%).

Attaching all the images below as I don't know how to post corroborating images under its respective post.

The description of images in order are:

1.) Government purchases of the Gurkha throughout India.
2.) Specifications of the Gurkha listed on GeM by Force Motors.
3.) Listing of Gurkha on GeM by Force Motors (note the 90% Indian content by value).
4.) Specifications of Thar Petrol listed on GeM by Mahindra.
5.) Listing of Thar Petrol by Mahindra (note the 70% Indian content by value).
6.) Grade-ability of the Gurkha as per Force Motors website.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-9.22.27-am.jpeg  

Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-9.23.33-am.jpeg  

Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-9.24.24-am.jpeg  

Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-9.25.20-am.jpeg  

Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-9.25.56-am.jpeg  

Force Gurkha Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-9.30.02-am.jpeg  

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 3rd May 2022 at 09:42.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 15:52   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted a Force Gurkha up close for the first time. It definitely looks much more attractive than it seems to be in the pictures.

Seen here with my Storme

Force Gurkha Review-20220517_112635.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-20220517_112611.jpg

Gurkha has as good a presence as the Thar. Thar still wins the aesthetic contest though, IMHO.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 19:19   #732
BHPian

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20220517191519.png

New spyshot of the five door version.
aasheeshmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 13:03   #733
BHPian

Great news.

Updated Gurkha coming next month. The main change is official increase in ground clearance. Still digging for any further changes, shall keep the forum updated when i come to know.

Apart from this by Diwali 5 door expected to launch.
Further high power engine being tested which is expected to be incorporated from1 April 2023.
007 Bond is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 13:49   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Great news.

Updated Gurkha coming next month. The main change is official increase in ground clearance. Still digging for any further changes, shall keep the forum updated when i come to know.

Further high power engine being tested which is expected to be incorporated from1 April 2023.
I was on the verge of booking one yesterday, but thought to just go through this thread once again before deciding. These updates definitely seem worth the wait. Please share any updates you hear. Thanks in advance!
PG03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 01:34   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Great news.

I lost interest in gurkha because of the engine and low ground clearance. My thoughts wandered towards getting a jimny but I dont think thats happening anytime soon. Can u please elaborate about the high power engine would it be standard for both 3 and 5 door version?? thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks