Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 19:13   #226
BHPian

re: MG Astor Review

How is MG able to pull this off?!

They are relatively young in the Indian market and are able to offer such good Quantity + Quality at a competitive price!

Are they going low on profit margins? Curious as to how much % of this car is "manufactured" locally and not just assembled here.
Old 27th September 2021, 19:15   #227
BHPian

I suppose the 2 engines MG is offering in Australia in the ZST and in India in the Astor are the same but with modifications.

It's the 1.5 NA that's a 4 cylinder. Guess that's where the confusion arose from. The 1.3 turbo is a 3 cylinder is what I can make out here.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-img_20210927_164546.jpg  

Last edited by RPM1706 : 27th September 2021 at 19:25.
Old 28th September 2021, 06:48   #228
BHPian

As per latest article from Rushlane, the price range will be 8 lakhs to 13lakhs.

If we get top spec variant in 13 lakhs ex-sh, I will be the first one to book it. 3 cylinder engine won't be an issue either.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20210928064543_chrome.jpg  

Old 28th September 2021, 07:57   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
As per latest article from Rushlane, the price range will be 8 lakhs to 13lakhs.
This price range seems highly unlikely. While MG will definitely try to keep a base 1.5 NA MT variant below 10 lacs, 13 lacs for a Turbo top end is wishful thinking, specially for something which will also have ADAS.
nasir88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 08:04   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If we get top spec variant in 13 lakhs ex-sh, I will be the first one to book it. 3 cylinder engine won't be an issue either.
Quite realistic expectation from Rushlane!

Only 5 lakhs ex-showroom cheaper than competition like the Kushaq, and even a few thousands less than cars from a segment below, like the Kia Sonet 1.0 DCT.

Even if MG prices it extremely competitive - expect 9 to 16.5 lakhs at the minimum, where the top end 1.3 Turbo AT (without ADAS most likely) will be priced against the likes of the smaller 1.0 AT option from the Germans.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th September 2021 at 08:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 08:09   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
How is MG able to pull this off?!

They are relatively young in the Indian market and are able to offer such good Quantity + Quality at a competitive price!

Are they going low on profit margins? Curious as to how much % of this car is "manufactured" locally and not just assembled here.
Actually

1: SAIC has massive cash pile. Remember, they have been the most dominant China player from the start
2: High volumes = low prices. The ZS/Hectors are made in volumes so a few components shipped to India via Thailand makes no difference.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 08:17   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG Astor in black with the all-black interior.

Attachment 2212093

Source : PowerDrift
That panoramic sunroof shade looks very thin, too much light is filtering inside. I hope the sunroof glass is tinted in darker shade so as to reduce heat. The overall car looks superb Will reserve my further comments on interior till I see it in person.
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 08:21   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quite realistic expectation from Rushlane!

Only 5 lakhs ex-showroom cheaper than competition like the Kushaq, and even a few thousands less than cars from a segment below, like the Kia Sonet 1.0 DCT.

Even if MG prices it extremely competitive - expect 9 to 16.5 lakhs at the minimum, where the top end 1.3 Turbo AT (without ADAS most likely) will be priced against the likes of the smaller 1.0 AT option from the Germans.
Agreed 13L is too good to be true. But I have a feeling top end will be priced at 14.99L without or 15.99L with ADAS ex sh. Hector top end has a price difference of 2.5L when compared to its true segment competitor Harrier. If same logic is applied to Astor in comparison to Koreans, then we will land up at 15 to 16L mark.

Also if it is really a 3 cylinder small engine, they will have to price it around 15 lakhs to justify the compromise a person makes when compared to 1.5L Turbo of VAG and 1.4L Turbo of Koreans (both 4 cylinder).

It is a great opportunity for MG to target high volume price group of 9 to 15 lakhs, currently ruled by Venue and Sonet and also attract 15 to 20L crowd by giving a better VFM product at lower price (just how Hector was placed at launch).
Old 28th September 2021, 10:44   #234
BHPian

Quote:

We Indians are optimistic (greedy?), aren't we?

I'm pretty sure it would be priced along the lines of 1.0 variants of Kushaq/Taigun with a small premium (considering the additional goodies on offer). But if MG surprises us with disruptive pricing, segment leaders should be really worried.
Old 28th September 2021, 10:53   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed 13L is too good to be true. But I have a feeling top end will be priced at 14.99L without or 15.99L with ADAS ex sh. Hector top end has a price difference of 2.5L when compared to its true segment competitor Harrier. If same logic is applied to Astor in comparison to Koreans, then we will land up at 15 to 16L mark.
Considering the 1.3L Turbo to be a 3cylinder engine, it should be fair to compare "VFM" MG Astor 1.3 L to be priced similar to 3 cylinder 1.0L turbo of "Premium" VM Taigun which is 15.9 Ex showroom.

I do really wish the 1.5L NA option to be priced similar to Sonet + additional GST for being longer than 4m.
(Also, Sonet 1.0L DCT top end is 50k more than S-cross top end AT)
Old 28th September 2021, 10:55   #236
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Agreed 13L is too good to be true. But I have a feeling top end will be priced at 14.99L without or 15.99L with ADAS ex sh. ....
It is a great opportunity for MG to target high volume price group of 9 to 15 lakhs, ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post

I'm pretty sure it would be priced along the lines of 1.0 variants of Kushaq/Taigun with a small premium (considering the additional goodies on offer). But if MG surprises us with disruptive pricing, segment leaders should be really worried.
I had a chat with the sales advisor in Kolkata and he says 16.5 on road expected for top end, which makes the ex showroom somewhere in the vicinity of 15.xx lacs.

So based on the various feedback of the forum members, the figure of 15 lacs seems very likely.
KapilD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 11:14   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

I for one don't think that the Astor will be priced very aggressively! At this stage even MG is struggling for ECU / IC deliveries and even their production is affected by the semiconductor shortage. Normal waiting times for the Hector which were communicated were 4-6 weeks have now been extended to 8 weeks and even in this interim period, they have also raised prices by 15k on the Hector.
If MG were to price the car very aggressively (say 9-13 lacs), they would garner up a huge demand and maybe 20k cars would get booked which would then have a waiting period of over 6 months. Many users would end up dissatisfied due to the long waiting periods too.
Let's take a more likely scenario, where MG prices the car in the range of 10-17 lacs. This is more inline with the Kushaq/ Taigun (1L Turbo)pricing. At this price point, they offer a lot better interiors, ADAS features and an overall bigger car. Compared to the 1L Turbo, the engine is also 1.3L Turbo. At this price band the may get 10K bookings, with a delivery period of 3 months - that will still be a better scenario considering their current ability to supply. Even in the 10-17 lac segment, they will practically compete with the segment leaders - Sonet - Seltos - Creta, which is probably their target segment. With the current capacities they have, they can probably touch around 6K production capacity of the Astor as the Hector takes around 3-4k per month. The production capacity of the current Halol plant is around 100,000 cars per year.
If MG are able to significantly increase the product capacity (by buying one of the Ford plants) they may take a very different approach and be more aggressive.
End of the day, competition is a good thing and customers get better value for money due to competition.

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th September 2021 at 11:15.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 11:42   #238
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the car and it as a overall package, I feel they would price 1.3 AT top end around 50K less than Seltos/Creta 1.4 DCTs. They are offering ADAS but misses on few other features as ventilated seats, 4 cylinder engine etc.

The 1.3 3 cylinder engine is quite good as per many UAE-Aus reviews. None of the reviews I watched said it to be having vibrations etc. It becomes vocal post 4.5K-5K RPM but the engine + GB is tuned quite well as per the reviews.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:03   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Astor to get eight variants. Price reveal too will be in October:

Quote:
Astor will have an extensive variant spread, with the 1.3-litre turbo-petrol available in all but the base variant.

Quote:
MG Astor is expected to be priced competitively, in the region of Rs 10-Rs 16 lakh (estimated, ex-showroom).

MG Astor Review-v.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th September 2021 at 12:06.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:16   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
I had a chat with the sales advisor in Kolkata and he says 16.5 on road expected for top end, which makes the ex showroom somewhere in the vicinity of 15.xx lacs.

So based on the various feedback of the forum members, the figure of 15 lacs seems very likely.
Looking at the price of MG Hector ( not Hector Plus ), I think a 8L - 15L price is very likely. If launched between 10L - 17L, many variants of Hector and Astor would overlap which may not be good for MG ( though it works for Maruti cars ).
If they can launch in 8L - 15L bracket, it will cater to buyers of both Sub-4m CSUVs and 4+ meter CSUVs and create a segment of its own. We expected this from VAG group, but they had their own ideas. MG might just do it.

If they do this, they would be prepared for the production as well. It is already rumoured that MG is looking at Ford India's Manufacturing Facilities ( Team BHP News link ).
rAijin_ is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks