Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 12:26   #241
BHPian

re: MG Astor Review

I have almost made my mind to go for Astor if it drives reasonably well irrespective of the price. How the N.A. engine will perform vis-à-vis turbo version. Whether there will be drastic difference in pick up. I am lenient towards N.A. engine due to purported long life compared to a turbo engine. Expert comments please
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 13:10   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The variant distribution indicates quite an aggressive pricing. If the top-end 1.3 turbo AT is to be priced around 15 lakhs as per several reports, the base variant Style 1.5 MT has to start around 9 lakhs to keep meaningful 50 thousand to 1 lakhs difference between each variant.

I expect both 1.5L NA CVT and 1.3 turbo TC to be priced almost the same with the difference being mileage and a few features.
Old 28th September 2021, 13:57   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
BHPians,

If you manage to see a MG Astor with Black/ Black & Ivory Dual Tone Interiors, please do click pic's of them from various angles.

Most of the videos on YouTube seem to be having Black & Red Interiors.

Visited MG showroom today and happened to come across this beauty. Here you go

Saw another car with red interiors. Didn't take any pic of that car since the forum is already flooded with red interiored pics.

I personally feel black/beige looks good over black/red combination.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-pxl_20210928_065526070.jpg  

MG Astor Review-pxl_20210928_065456633.jpg  

MG Astor Review-pxl_20210928_065608193.jpg  

MG Astor Review-pxl_20210928_065637293.jpg  

MG Astor Review-pxl_20210928_065510469.jpg  

MG Astor Review-picsart_092802.01.54.jpg  

MG Astor Review-picsart_092802.06.38.jpg  

Last edited by bwildrd#1 : 28th September 2021 at 14:08.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 14:09   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MG Astor to get eight variants. Price reveal too will be in October
This is the first time I am seeing a car with so many automatic gearbox variants, had it been some other brand they would have limited the turbo automatic to the two top-spec trims only. Kudos to MG for taking this step amongst it's competitors.

Example: Today if someone wants an Auto Creta/Seltos/Kushaq/Taigun, they have to spend minimum 15Lakhs OTR (17Lakhs for the Creta) to get one, looks like the Astor may have the auto option below 15Lakhs which can be a win for MG!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 28th September 2021 at 14:11.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 14:15   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If MG were to price the car very aggressively (say 9-13 lacs), they would garner up a huge demand and maybe 20k cars would get booked which would then have a waiting period of over 6 months. Many users would end up dissatisfied due to the long waiting periods too.
Isn't this the reason they are doing flash sale for 3000-4000 units. MG will control inventory and demand along with managed expectations? In turn also keep hype and demand burning.

XUV700 is also coming. Pent up demand will be through the roof this festive season.

Most of other manufacturer are all set to raise prices on 01 October. It will also play psychological role to tilt preference towards new entrants/models in the market.
Old 28th September 2021, 14:17   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post

Saw another car with red interiors. Didn't take any pic of that car since the forum is already flooded with red interiored pics.

This looks very nice, but is a dirt magnet.

If one doesn't want to put enough effort and money in maintaining one, then it is best to opt for black or red.
CircleOfLife is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 14:52   #247
Senior - BHPian

Is there any news about what features are gonna be available in the lower variants?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 15:41   #248
BHPian

Quote:

Looking at the variant names, MG could have done a better job here. The variant names are not straightforward to understand the variant stack. Generally, the manufacturer suffix additional letters/words to indicate higher variant but Astor’s variant names are confusing. Smart STD looks like it offers something extra, but it sits below Smart. Same with Sharp and Sharp STD. However, Savvy Red sits above Savvy. They could have followed a simple naming convention by adding “plus” to indicate higher variants instead of adding “STD” for lower variants.
Old 28th September 2021, 15:43   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a Ton for these Pic's .
My doubts have been cleared and this combination is beginning to grow on me. The Airy feeling that light interiors give is unmatched, especially when one doesn't want to feel claustrophobic.

Will see this interior again in real, when I go for Test Drive on 1st October.

Now only 1 thing is left, that is variant selection. I want a Variant with All Safety Features. Is there any chance of Sharp getting 6 Airbags ? I will be happy if it has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post

If one doesn't want to put enough effort and money in maintaining one, then it is best to opt for black or red.
Not a problem for me. Take a look below,

MG Astor Review-img_20210928_153813.jpg

MG Astor Review-img_20210928_153624.jpg

MG Astor Review-img_20210928_153604.jpg

Yes, that's our 10 year old car (Volkswagen Jetta) without any Interior Refurbishment of sorts. I haven't even bothered to get it cleaned during service intervals.
CarguyNish is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 16:01   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's our 10 year old car (Volkswagen Jetta) without any Interior Refurbishment of sorts. I haven't even bothered to get it cleaned during service intervals.
Very nice and a well maintained car.

I have been able to maintain vento with beige interiors in spick and span shape, but it did need some effort.

I was speaking in general terms and not a specific case. MG Astor interiors seems more lighter than beige interiors one gets in Volkswagen and Skoda. It looks more whiteish tone from pictures.

With kids not everyone will get as lucky. One has to factor this one too before opting for lighter interior.
CircleOfLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 16:30   #251
BHPian

Drive experiences are still under embargo till 30th September.
However I found someone commenting on the drive experience, which says "Astor lives up the hype in the drive."
Although she is a journalist, but not a keen driver. So, let's still wait till our mods put out their experiences.
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20210927231207__01.jpg
dh.harshal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 19:54   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post

It looks more premium when compared to black/red combination. And I don't think it should be a big deal when it comes to maintenance. Our car also has beige seat covers.

Quote:
Thanks a Ton for these Pic's .
My doubts have been cleared and this combination is beginning to grow on me. The Airy feeling that light interiors give is unmatched, especially when one doesn't want to feel claustrophobic.

Will see this interior again in real, when I go for Test Drive on 1st October.

Now only 1 thing is left, that is variant selection. I want a Variant with All Safety Features. Is there any chance of Sharp getting 6 Airbags ? I will be happy if it has them.

I was wondering from day 1 after seeing the interior pics of Astor. It reminded me of some other car's steering wheel design but I couldn't remember. Now after seeing your Jetta's pics it struck me. Astor's steering wheel design is similar to one in 2012 Vento(at least for me )

And coming to the feature list, No one has any clue about how things will get distributed across variants. Or they are tight lipped. I tried my best to extract more information but didn't get anything apart from things already available in the forum.
Old 28th September 2021, 22:35   #253
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot for these images. I have been waiting to see this since the time the preview came out. I like this ivory & black combo much better than the other two and this will be my choice if I ever buy the Astor.

One by one Astor seems to be fulfilling all my requirements for an upgrade. Really hope it drives and handles well and comes with a good crash rating.

MG Astor Review-4016956d75fa402eb125bd666b5d037d.jpeg
Just for the purpose of nitpicking, I somehow don’t like the way front seatbelt’s are attached to the B pillar base area. There seems to be a significant panel gap too. It could have been better concealed I feel. Also, the sunroof cover seems to be letting in a lot of light even when closed.
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:48   #254
BHPian

Reviews will be based solely out of driving in Buddh International Circuit?

This will surely give a very good idea on driving and handling dynamics of car including high speed stability.

How about real world driving and reviews? Take in B2B traffic, pot hole ridden roads, open highway.

Where is that good old every day usage scenario reviews vanishing?

Manufacturer are getting clever on how to get as much as possible positive feedback on initial reviews by limits to environment in which they are tested.

I am hoping the review covers all scenarios that one will encounter in a daily drive else it just dilutes the whole purpose.

Not everyone will end up driving in a simulated and well controlled environment while wearing a helmet in car along with ADAS.
Old 28th September 2021, 22:51   #255

Thanks for the detailed review Aditya . If it is as fun to drive as VW Tiguan then we have a winner here.

MG have got the pulse of Indian customers which is why they are never short of features which south Korean manufacturers were doing for years.

Diesel engine would have been icing on cake for high mileage users otherwise everything is on point in my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks