Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2021, 17:20   #991
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
I am someone who doesn't like revving the engine when driving a car, that's something specifically reserved for motorcycles because they actually sound great when revved. With a few exceptions, most cars feel like they are being choked to death when you floor the pedal. During the TD, I revved till 3000 RPM but the engine felt completely lifeless, with little punch and anything beyond 3000 RPM, the NVH deteriorated quickly. I could barely touch 3 digit speeds even though the highway was pretty open. And the mileage reading was great either, around 9 kmpl.

I test drove the 1.0 TSI Kushaq and the issue was even more apparent. Kushaq was literally sitting on power reserves and I had to barely cross 2000 RPM to overtake. Moreover, the mileage I got was 12-13 kmpl in city conditions.

Would be great if someone could shed some light on the real world mileage and drive experience, beyond those 10 km test drives.
Not a professional by any means but this is something based out of my knowledge:

You have to understand a little bit about the nature of the engines on why motorcyles can rev so high whereas the cars feel lifeless at such low rpms

Most mainstream car engines are long stroke whereas most motorcycles have short stroke engines.

When you talk about a mainstream car, the first priority is ease of driving more than performance and a long stroke engine delivers just that by producing more torque at lower RPMs at the expense of power.

eg. 1.2 litre kappa engine producing around 114nm of torque at 4000rpm but just around 81hp before redlining whereas a short stroke Yamaha R1 with its 1 litre engine produces over 200hp at it's redline but just around 110nm of torque at around 12000rpm

The pistons travel more compared to a short stroke engine, so they produce alot of torque at the lower rpms, but they get stressed out alot at higher rpms due to valve flow, materials used and other factors. This makes driveability much easier as the driver doesn't have to rev the nuts of the engine for their daily commute to work(Do you like to rev your engine to 5000 rpm everytime just to move your 1 tonne+ vehicle? or over 10,000rpm to feel it's power? comparing a 1l 4 cylinder motorcycle short stroke engine vs a 1.2l 4 cylinder mainstream long stroke car engine). Also, the life of a long stroke engines are much higher than the short stroke ones

This is the primary reason you see most cars redlining under 7k RPM whereas most motorcycles redline much above that.

The requirements of a motorcycle are completely different though. Considering an average motorcycle weighs less than 1/8th the weight of an average car, and takes a maximum of only 2 people on board, the main goal is to produce maximum power to go faster more than the actual driveability. The disadvantage is the rider has to do alot of work for daily cruising. In a situation where a 1.2l mainstream car can amble around the city in the 3rd gear comfortably, you'll have to work through the motorcycles' gears to keep the motorcycle moving, a situation which is definitely not ideal for a car.

and regarding the mileage factor, as long as you stay in the cars powerband, you should get some decent mileage. One main reason people who drive sedately but still wonder for less mileage in cars is that many people unknowingly lug the engine(higher gears at lower speeds) thinking they'll get much better mileage but in reality the ECU(brain of the car) is putting more fuel into the engine so that it can run without shutting down.

Last edited by shravansp24 : 21st November 2021 at 17:26.
shravansp24 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 18:52   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any owners here of the MT 1.5 variant? I took 2 test drives and both left me confused & uncertain of the Engine' power & mileage.

I test drove the 1.0 TSI Kushaq and the issue was even more apparent. Kushaq was literally sitting on power reserves and I had to barely cross 2000 RPM to overtake. Moreover, the mileage I got was 12-13 kmpl in city conditions.

Would be great if someone could shed some light on the real world mileage and drive experience, beyond those 10 km test drives.
I am not an owner of the Astor, but from previous ownership experiences, can state the following: the 1.5 engine is a NA engine, whereas that Kushaq 1.0 is a turbo petrol. So past a certain rpm ,approximately 2K in most cases , the turbo will kick in and make you feel that you are unlocking a wave of continuous power. NA engines need to be revved to extract more power. Most famously (in this forum especially), the Honda iVTEC engine (also NA) has been known for its revv-happiness and performance in the upper end of the rev-band.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st November 2021 at 18:54.
Old 21st November 2021, 21:14   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am not an owner of the Astor, but from previous ownership experiences, can state the following: the 1.5 engine is a NA engine, whereas that Kushaq 1.0 is a turbo petrol. So past a certain rpm ,approximately 2K in most cases , the turbo will kick in and make you feel that you are unlocking a wave of continuous power. NA engines need to be revved to extract more power. Most famously (in this forum especially), the Honda iVTEC engine (also NA) has been known for its revv-happiness and performance in the upper end of the rev-band.
I actually drove the City as well and still did not feel the kind of lifelessness I felt in Astor. City's engine may not have the same turbo punch, but is very tractable on highways. Even Creta that generates same power and torque figures to the Astor was better.

To clear my doubts further, I searched for 0 - 100 comparisions. Found one where Astor was compared to Seltos and the former was a full 4 sec slower. That's appalling honestly.
Old 21st November 2021, 21:38   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually drove the City as well and still did not feel the kind of lifelessness I felt in Astor. City's engine may not have the same turbo punch, but is very tractable on highways. Even Creta that generates same power and torque figures to the Astor was better.
If this is essential for your needs, then you may need to move on to a different option I guess. Small/medium NA engines can be a tricky choice. Historically, I believe apart from the Maruti K10/12/K15 and Honda iVTEC (1.5), not too many NA engines have been counted as being hugely praiseworthy in terms of performance. The Ecosport did have an interesting Dragon 1.5, but somehow did'nt translate to surefire success.
Old 21st November 2021, 21:43   #995
BHPian

Quote:

To clear my doubts further, I searched for 0 - 100 comparisions. Found one where Astor was compared to Seltos and the former was a full 4 sec slower. That's appalling honestly.
I guess in that case, based on your test-driving experience, you need to try other cars. Any car of your choice which satisfies your needs should be your choice.
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:22   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Delay in deliveries due to chip shortage. Batch 1 will be delivered by end of 2021. Price protection for all those who have booked:
This is a good move by MG to offer price protection to its customers, I wish more manufacturers also followed this practise.

My cousin had booked the ZS ASTOR VTi-TECH MT SHARP variant, his delivery date was revised to Dec 2021. He was in a confused state whether to hold his booking or cancel it. I now advised him to hold on to this, as the situation is no different with any other manufacturers and now MG offering this price protection is definitely an advantage.
autocool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:18   #997

While going through the MG app yesterday I saw that there’s a long list of accessories listed in Astor brochure that can be retrofitted. It shows tick marks on which models can it be installed along with the price. Now when I asked the sales person at MG they are clueless about it & asked me to wait & they will confirm it.
Now if it can be done & things like wireless charging,360 camera, ambient lighting can be installed on Astor super CVT(in the app there’s a tick on all 4 variants) then it’ll make my buying decision much easier & I’ll do the booking right away.
I need help from the fellow BHPians/Astor owners to please clarify this issue of accessories which can be installed later or not. And I am specifically asking for accessories like wireless charging,360 camera, ambient lighting & not that ghastly chrome or usual items like mud flaps etc.
Old 22nd November 2021, 15:29   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas1224 View Post
While going through the MG app yesterday I saw that there’s a long list of accessories listed in Astor brochure that can be retrofitted. It shows tick marks on which models can it be installed along with the price. Now when I asked the sales person at MG they are clueless about it & asked me to wait & they will confirm it.
Now if it can be done & things like wireless charging,360 camera, ambient lighting can be installed on Astor super CVT(in the app there’s a tick on all 4 variants) then it’ll make my buying decision much easier & I’ll do the booking right away.
I need help from the fellow BHPians/Astor owners to please clarify this issue of accessories which can be installed later or not. And I am specifically asking for accessories like wireless charging,360 camera, ambient lighting & not that ghastly chrome or usual items like mud flaps etc.
Hey so what I know from some of the owner feedback from a whatsapp group I'm part off:

1. Ambient lighting is okayish. May not be worth it.
2. The 360 Camera is part of the top spec variant. Not sure if other variants can get it retrofitted. However the accessory on offer is a DVR for the existing camera setup which should be plug and play as MG provides a dedicated USB socket near the rearview mirror for this.
3. Not sure about wireless charging. But there are numerous options offline that will work off the USB ports so not necessarily something you need to base your decision off unless you don't want too many wires running around
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:22   #999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Delay in deliveries due to chip shortage. Batch 1 will be delivered by end of 2021. Price protection for all those who have booked
Now the app also shows the batch number (after updating the app). Mine shows as part of Batch 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas1224 View Post
I think all these items can be fitted without any major modifications to the form. Hence, it's likely that they should be allowing these accessories to be factory fitted. Try emailing them at pulsehub@mgmotor.co.in and see if you can get this in writing if you are particular about these accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-mg-astor-screenshot.jpg  

RLN_CHN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 20:48   #1000

Hey All,

I have already booked an MG Astor Style variant( not in first 5k ) from Bangalore ORR showroom. My relationship manager called me two weeks back and told that the vehicle will be delivered within end of March. I also got a mail from the showroom confirming that I have a delivery allotted in batch 2.

However, when I visited an MG showroom in Kerala last week for a test drive, the sales guy over there told me that, they are not accepting the bookings for Style variant anymore. And MG is not planning to produce / deliver the Style variant if it does not come under the first 5k bookings. He said that sooner or later the people who have booked Style variant will be forced to switch to an upper variant or cancel the booking. Now I am not sure if the sales guy was making this up to get me to book an upper variant or if this is actually the case.
Now I am confused if I should wait or cancel my booking. Is there anyone else here who had similar experience regarding the booking of Astor-Style variant?
Old 23rd November 2021, 21:58   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp33 View Post
However, when I visited an MG showroom in Kerala last week for a test drive, the sales guy over there told me that, they are not accepting the bookings for Style variant anymore. And MG is not planning to produce / deliver the Style variant if it does not come under the first 5k bookings. He said that sooner or later the people who have booked Style variant will be forced to switch to an upper variant or cancel the booking. Now I am not sure if the sales guy was making this up to get me to book an upper variant or if this is actually the case.
According to my sources, MG has received huge number of bookings of Style variant. Many car models (e.g. MG Astor , Hyundai creta, Mahindra XUV 700 etc) are launched by manufacturers in base variants only for attracting buyers with low prices. Due to low profits they are never keen to produce them in big numbers.

Presently, MG dealers can't accept bookings for Style variant as their system doesn't allow them to do so. MG intends to clear all backlog of Style deliveries, against present bookings, which might extend upto another 6-7 months. Post that they might start taking new reservations.
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:13   #1002
BHPian

MG dealership Moti Nagar, New Delhi, has couple of white Sharp (O) 1.3 turbo variants available - got to know through our RM. Anyone looking for this combination may contact them.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 14:02   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
MG dealership Moti Nagar, New Delhi, has couple of white Sharp (O) 1.3 turbo variants available - got to know through our RM. Anyone looking for this combination may contact them.
Can you DM me the RM's number? I would be interested in a Black one so will ask him to keep it in mind.
Old 26th November 2021, 22:07   #1004
BHPian

It appears that MG and their dealers are having an issue about dealer margin between dealer-booking and online-booking. This is the main reason for delayed delivery of online bookings. Dealers are, apparently, not keen on giving appropriate priority to online bookings and are pushing it to batch 2 / 2022. This info was given by my sources.

If it is true, it is really unfortunate and MG shouldn't have launched online bookings. Talk about opaque business policy.
Old 27th November 2021, 13:27   #1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
It appears that MG and their dealers are having an issue about dealer margin between dealer-booking and online-booking. This is the main reason for delayed delivery of online bookings. Dealers are, apparently, not keen on giving appropriate priority to online bookings and are pushing it to batch 2 / 2022. This info was given by my sources.

If it is true, it is really unfortunate and MG shouldn't have launched online bookings. Talk about opaque business policy.
Don't this is correct information. Everyoen who has booked Astor either through dealer or online is on the same boat. Deliveries are being directly managed by MG and dealers are mostly clueless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks