Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 00:09   #91
BHPian

re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
Hey, it's a good & healthy discussion and the larger forum will benefit from perspective from both the sides.
I’m not trying to be coy, I have got into trouble in the past when I’ve spoken in public out of turn. Happy to share over a cuppa anytime.

What I’m intrigued about in the info you shared is how much MG tries to hide their Chinese lineage. Same thing with Nokia / HMD Global. They actually went out of the way to register a company in Espoo, with representative employees, to be seen as a Finnish company. They got into trouble in Australia recently. Also same with OnePlus / BKK.
Old 21st September 2021, 04:22   #92
BHPian

I’ve extensively seen most of the online videos and I’m almost certain MG will launch this with a sticker shock price like 9.49 or 9.79 or at the upper limit 9.99 but the middle one is most likely. But what will be really important for MG is that they get some form of automatic variants in the 14-15 Lacs price band (On Road Delhi) even if it’s for the Naturally aspirated engine, which by the way doesn’t sound too bad either with 110 PS.
Old 21st September 2021, 07:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Honda's tie-up with Alexa is more confidence inspiring. Amazon is pretty good with data security and privacy.
Such strong bias here! If you think AWS is pretty good with data security, then so is Azure, if not better (my friends work in both teams and I make extensive use of them both). Also, Azure is more than just a Google drive for Business (I found it hilarious but my friend who works at the Azure team didn't!).

Personally, I'm a little apprehensive of smart devices listening to us all the time and I completely understand why some people are worried about it. That said, there is no reason to bash one single company just for its lineage when you're happy to use other alternatives.

Getting back to the topic, I believe there must be an option to switch off the AI assistant if we don't like it. Although my wife thinks it looks cute, it might freak me out during my night drives
shibulijack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 07:35   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
Such strong bias here! If you think AWS is pretty good with data security, then so is Azure, if not better (my friends work in both teams and I make extensive use of them both). Also, Azure is more than just a Google drive for Business (I found it hilarious but my friend who works at the Azure team didn't!).
Oh god, people on this forum take everything literally. There is no concept of subjectivity here. I was giving an example to help explain what Azure is.

I was not comparing AWS and Azure on security. Since you work extensively with both you know that an end-to-end Alexa deployment managed and operated by Amazon for hundreds of millions of consumer devices globally is different from an IT Services company handling security and data for an Azure deployment.
andafunda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 10:16   #95
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Has anyone booked the Astor? Are the dealers taking offline booking? If yes what is the booking amount?
Asking for a friend who needs to get the car in October itself.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:00   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post

Getting back to the topic, I believe there must be an option to switch off the AI assistant if we don't like it. Although my wife thinks it looks cute, it might freak me out during my night drives
The basic premise of this AI bot, is the availability of Internet.
Plug off the Internet, and it should die.

If it still doesn't shut off, use the services of a hammer.
abhishek46 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Good joke , but data security is truly no joke.

They are obviously worried, no doubt, because any such accusation won't be taken lightly, by the government. Hence the clear announcements on how the data is being handled by them. !
Thanks for highlighting this. It is a really nice change of pace that a manufacturer is taking the pain to protect user data. Really nice approach from MG to be so transparent. Chinese or not, no other manufacturer has been so forthcoming when it comes to data protection. Kudos!!
Pras92003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Has anyone booked the Astor? Are the dealers taking offline booking? If yes what is the booking amount?
I do not think they are taking offline bookings, during my visit the sales executive told me MG will send a link directly to customer for booking the car, also as per him they plan to deliver cars early to first 3000 bookings, then i suppose the waiting period starts, this could be the first batch that they have already manufactured.
EmpyreanKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 11:44   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitht87 View Post
What will be missed:
Ventilated seats - A pretty good to have feature. Need to see how the leatherette seats will be during peak Indian summer.
Wireless Charger - Not a great miss for me
Subwoofer - Are infinity speakers available?
Cooled glovebox
Paddle shifters - with Hector and global ZST missing paddle shifters this was expected of Astor too
Auto Dimming IRVM - how? why?? MG went one step ahead with heated ORVM (and this might be a standard feature) and one step backward by not including auto dimming IRVM.

Hope the car is priced well and comes with 5- 7 years warranty and some good service packages.
Some of these items are there in almost all other cars (even below segment). Not sure why MG chose to cut cost here.

Something like ventilated seats & paddle shifters are available on even a barebone car like Kushaq (Skoda would be proud of it, for finally being ahead in one or two things! )

Wireless Android auto available? or thats also missed?

Subwoofer, Auto IRVM, wireless charger - hope these will be available as add-ons.

Lastly, not much has been discussed about lesser leg space in backseat. I feel the car is built in such a way that it has larger bonnet, which takes away space from inside + smaller wheelbase in segment + hump under middle seat. Seems like a 4.5 seater car.
manpreetsj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:13   #100
Senior - BHPian

Can't wait to see genius TBHP members' DIY of removing the AI doll and installing a talking a Ganesh idol on the same perch.
amol4184 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:19   #101
BHPian

On some digging on 1.4L Turbo engine, I could find out some relevant information.

It seems to be an engine which was co-developed by GM Shanghai and SAIC around 2015. Technical name of engine is - "SGM/SAIC E-Tec DOHC 4-valve engines"

Quote:
This family was conceived for Shanghai GM, also for usage by SAIC in their Roewe/MG/Maxus models. This twin-jet engine uses port (indirect) injectors only, but closer to the valves.
https://mjs.home.xs4all.nl/(S)GM(W)%...in%20China.htm

This engine has been used in Opel and Chevrolet cars in past, as per some other notes.

As per above link you will notice that rated capacity is of 163Hp and 230Nm Torque. Not sure why MG has detuned it for Indian market? Due to Fuel quality? Has there been any issues with GM cars in past in India with this engine?

Conflicting bit - There is another engine of GM - GM 1.4L Turbo I4 Ecotec LUJ/LUV Engine - which has rated capacity of 138Hp and 200Nm torque, similar to that of Astor.https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/luv/
manpreetsj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:42   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Initially dealer in my city were accepting. Later when I just thought it wouldn’t be any loss to pre book(entire amount is refundable). Sales advisor reverted back that they aren’t accepting any further pre booking and even ones accepted earlier were issued refund.

Looks like MG is cracking whip here. Good practice. MG has been in news for all right reasons.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 14:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

Personal AI Assistant - MG Astor. But a very lame joke in the ad.

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 21st September 2021 at 14:52.
Old 21st September 2021, 15:05   #104
BHPian

Yes, the overall exterior look seems a bit dated, but this will still stand out as fresh on road. MG is sure to taste success with the Astor. Quite surprising how they've managed to gain a market hold in such a short span of time.

The Astor is exactly what the Kushaq should've been...and more! Skoda has been in the Indian market for so long and still hasn't been able to crack the code.

The interiors are fresh and feel upmarket. That color combination is bold and catchy; would complement a black or red exterior beautifully.

If MG manages to price it competitively, the Kushaq and Taigun will taste death soon.
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:25   #105
BHPian

I could not find any ground clearance numbers. Any idea? Will it be at least 190mm?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks