Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:07   #1036

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
It has a linear pick up, drives great (no adrenaline rush) till 70-80kmph. After 80kmph, though it was picking speed, I felt something was holding it back. Like I could hear engine noise increasing but vehicle was not moving in that free flow, may be I need to take on to open highways and test again (or I don’t know this is how CVTs behave !!). When I floor my Duster, it accelerates with free flow.
Opposite of what you mentioned is experienced in CVT. Once the engine reaches a specified rpm, if you give throttle input the engine rpm is maintained and CVT drive/driven pulley changes diameter to give more speed. i.e the engine noise will remain same and slowly the car picks up speed. This is against our intuitive feel that when we give throttle engine picks up rpm and the humming increases. This causes a disconnected feel in CVT cars.
Old 5th December 2021, 10:16   #1037
VIZ
BHPian

Does MG have any plan to go for NCAP rating for Indian Astor? Is there an official data from MG on ground clearance, Fuel efficiency and Boot space?
Old 6th December 2021, 14:29   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZ View Post
Does MG have any plan to go for NCAP rating for Indian Astor? Is there an official data from MG on ground clearance, Fuel efficiency and Boot space?
There is no official data released from MG yet, however, the sales executive who brought the TD car told GC is 185mm, FE is ~10 in city, ~14 on highways (depending on driving style) and boot space is not more than 430ltrs (Primarily due to the spare wheel inside). Don't know what is stopping MG to announce this officially !!!

It's a fantastic upgrade for someone who is driving hatchbacks at present or who wants to move from sedans to SUV.
hummer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 14:01   #1039

Are the queues moving ?
Not sure if MG is delivering new vehicles even at a slow pace. My due is Q1 22 and I need a new car by January last week:-(!
Old 7th December 2021, 20:11   #1040

My Delivery as per the app is still showing December but they have added a new disclaimer to that saying there will be 1-2 weeks delay due to chip shortages.

I spoke to the SA at Bangalore Electronic City showroom and he said I can only expect my car to come by January.

Based on what I have read in the news, MG is struggling to meet the production numbers across models due to chip shortages. They only managed ~2.5K cars in November.
pranji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:29   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranji View Post
My Delivery as per the app is still showing December but they have added a new disclaimer to that saying there will be 1-2 weeks delay due to chip shortages.

I spoke to the SA at Bangalore Electronic City showroom and he said I can only expect my car to come by January..
We are all in the same boat. Mine still shows Nov'21 (with of course the standard disclaimer of 1-2 weeks of potential delay) and the SA still has no clue on when the car is expected.

Quote:
Based on what I have read in the news, MG is struggling to meet the production numbers across models due to chip shortages. They only managed ~2.5K cars in November
Seems they just managed 1018 dispatches as per the November sales numbers on Team-bhp.
satnan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 07:38   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
Seems they just managed 1018 dispatches as per the November sales numbers on Team-bhp.
This is not encouraging!!
Old 12th December 2021, 07:36   #1043
BHPian

My vehicle is going to be outdoors for at least 4 days of the week due to the new normal WFH. I bought a TPH cover (supreme variant). It seems like a good fit and good quality. They allow you to customize color combinations.
MG Astor Review-pxl_20211212_014722545.jpg

MG Astor Review-pxl_20211212_014733007.jpg

I put it on 3 days ago, after which it rained mildly. The cover has been beading water on the hood and top, and is rolling off water on the sides. There's a little dust that accumulated at the bottom of the wind shield. I will need to figure out the proper technique of folding the cover (especially when it is wet and a bit dusty) to avoid damaging the paint. Most videos I saw on YouTube show them folding dry covers onto themselves without sliding on the paint, but none about wet covers. Any pointers folks?
JoBlo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 10:25   #1044
BHPian

Took a test drive of MG Astor 1.5 Manual this week. My observations:

a) As per the MG representative, I was shifting a bit too early. I floored the A pedal after shifting to 3rd gear. But absolutely no response. I presently drive Toyota Etios Liva 1.2 Petrol which puts peak torque at 3100 rpm similar to the Etios's 1.5 engine.
When I drove my car immediately after the test drive, I could realize the difference in drivability in both cars. This factor alone is a deterrent in choosing the Astor.
b) Fuel efficiency as per MID was 10 KM (sparse traffic at 2 PM in Chennai OMR/Radial Road with frequent stops to attend my phone calls)
c) Engine seems to be refined with no vibrations.
d) Seating position was elevated with good overall visibility. However, the head rest's forward intrusion was making my posture uncomfortable.
e) European style positioning of Indicator/headlamp stalk(on left side) and Wiper stalk on right side.
f) Did not like the Digital instrument cluster.
g) Braking was good
h) Reverse gear can be selected by pressing the gear lever and slotting like 1st gear.
i) Horn pad is small and hard and I had to lift my hands to use the horn. It might be difficult to use horn instantly. I suppose, this would be case with most cars with steering mounted controls. In my existing car, there is no steering mounted controls and the horn pad is large, I can use my thumb which is lot more convenient and faster

Even if I were to book MG Astor, it would be the base variant - Style). They are not accepting bookings for the base model presently. I can expect delivery only after 6 months. By that time, the next gen Brezza would be launched. I propose to take a decision at that point of time.

I wanted to avoid the 1.0 Turbo engines. I shall restrict my choices to 1.2 to 1.5 litre engines in case of Turbo or 1.5 litre Naturally Aspirated Engine.

How I wish Kushaq gets the 1.5 Evo Turbo ACT engine in the mid variant so that I can strech my budget and go for it.
Old 13th December 2021, 10:37   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know the wheel size of the Style variant?

Is it 16x6.5 100 PCD?

I am thinking of booking the Style variant for my father in law. But the first thing I would be doing is changing the steel wheels.
Old 14th December 2021, 17:02   #1046
Senior - BHPian

MG Astor 1.5-litre Petrol Manual review

- Gearbox is slick and smooth to shift, clutch action is light

- Mileage : City - 11km/l, Highway - 14km/l

Last edited by Venkatesh : 14th December 2021 at 17:08.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 13:39   #1047
BHPian

MG ZS EV (~= Astor) vs VW Taigun - Size and Road presence test (From a parking lot)

Decide for your self

MG Astor Review-1.jpg

MG Astor Review-2.jpg

MG Astor Review-3.jpg

MG Astor Review-4.jpg

MG Astor Review-5.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st December 2021 at 13:13. Reason: Just clarifying MG ZS EV = Astor, to avoid confusion.
vinitbarve is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 15:55   #1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
MG Astor vs VW Taigun - Size and Road presence test (From a parking lot)

Decide for your self
Isn't this the MG ZS EV?

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st December 2021 at 13:13. Reason: Shortening quoted post, and also clarifying in the original post.
Old 15th December 2021, 17:03   #1049

Looks wise I like Astor better . But I know this is subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
MG Astor vs VW Taigun - Size and Road presence test (From a parking lot)
======
Attachment 2245484
Old 15th December 2021, 20:18   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilzu View Post
Looks wise I like Astor better . But I know this is subjective.
I drove the Astor 1.3, it certainly feel a notch or more above Taigun when it comes to finishing, and features over all. I went ahead with Taigun 1.5GT because of the drive quality.
vinitbarve is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed