Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 17:41   #1111
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

I today did PDI in Bangalore. I am getting a 2022 manufactured car.

I am getting old ex- showroom but sales advisor is saying that road tax will be on new price. Is that correct?
Old 13th January 2022, 19:54   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post

I am getting old ex- showroom but sales advisor is saying that road tax will be on new price. Is that correct?
That's what I've been told in TN as well. Road Tax and insurance will be as per new prices. Taking delivery in next 10 days.
immortalmechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 19:57   #1113
BHPian

Thanks for the confirmation. Wonder if same happened for Thar owners?
Old 13th January 2022, 20:38   #1114
BHPian

Did a long test of Astor CVT (1.5 NA) and 5th gen Honda City CVT (1.5 NA) yesterday on a mix of decent and broken roads with 3 adults + 2 kids on board.

As most of the members of reported, Astor feels well built, interiors are very pleasing and car feels premium. However the CVT performance was very disappointing. 1.5 NA has considerable lag and can be clearly observed every time you accelerate after slowing down on a speed breaker.

Interesting City fared way better than i had expected. Power delivery was linear and the car scrapped the bottom just once on the entire stretch of broken road.

Astor CVT was a strict no go for me and cancelled my booking.
Have heard Turbo variants are good but is way out of my budget.
AravBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:25   #1115
BHPian

Anyone added sunfilm or anything to the sunroof as the sunblind is not fully opaque?
Old 17th January 2022, 19:19   #1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilesh Rai View Post
December 2021 manufactured. Insurance was done on our own, not the dealer offer.
Can you please share the details of the insurance you got from outside. hat did it cost you? Which company did you go for and what was the process like...Thanks in advance
Old 18th January 2022, 20:00   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshjoshi00 View Post
Can you please share the details of the insurance you got from outside. hat did it cost you? Which company did you go for and what was the process like...Thanks in advance
It costed around 34k from United India Insurance. We got it done through a family friend who works there.
Akhilesh Rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:48   #1118

Hi Bhpians,

This is my first post as a member. I am thankful to all of the members as the information on the forum has been quite helpful in various car decisions and learnings.

I had booked Astor Sharp CVT (red) in batch1 from MG Mumbai. Will be taking delivery this week. Getting 2022 model.

On 31st December, called up MG helpline and tagged them on twitter as initial delivery was planned by end of Nov and later mid-December. Received a call on 4th Jan that the car has been dispatched from plant. So, maybe escalating the issue helped.

MG has honored the commitment of providing price protection to Batch1 customers. My dealership had mentioned that 'will check new price and accordingly will let you know the final amount to be paid'.

However, I spoke sternly and showed them the video of the COO of MG India where he had promised price protection to batch1 customers.

Took Tata AIG insurance Sapphire ++ plan, dealership matched the quote; got it for 38k.

PDI process was smooth.

Keeping my fingers crossed for delivery. Anything specific to check at the time of delivery specifically w.r.t Astor? or same as the usual standard checklist?

Thanks
harish.biyani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 09:46   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish.biyani View Post
Hi Bhpians,

On 31st December, called up MG helpline and tagged them on twitter as initial delivery was planned by end of Nov and later mid-December. Received a call on 4th Jan that the car has been dispatched from plant. So, maybe escalating the issue helped.

MG has honored the commitment of providing price protection to Batch1 customers. My dealership had mentioned that 'will check new price and accordingly will let you know the final amount to be paid'.

Took Tata AIG insurance Sapphire ++ plan, dealership matched the quote; got it for 38k.

Thanks
Congrats buddy on your getting delivery. Unlike Anand Mahindra, Rajeev Chaba isn't so social media savvy and doesn't appear to give any importance to communication to him. I had wrote mails in November directly to him expressing my concerns of delayed delivery inspite of my booking in batch 1, which was minutes into the first booking time. I did receive calls from someone from MG, after receipt of my mails, apologizing but without making any commitments of deliveries.

When I applied pressure on Gurgaon MG showroom guys, they offered Spiced Orange color but it was without price protection. Even the website / app showed new prices.

I had randomly called MG showrooms in other cities like Karnal Agra to know if they had any free stocks and found that Agra had Sharp CVT Red as someone couldn't arrange finance. I booked and got the delivery last Sunday, within 3 days.

I will post detailed booking and delivery experience soon. By the way from Agra to Gurgaon in a brand new one, I got a mileage of around 15.5 - 16. Will share all the details soon.
Old 19th January 2022, 23:51   #1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLN_CHN View Post
Hi, I'm looking to take my car delivery next week. If it arrives as promised (fingers crossed). So, visited the showroom yesterday to look at the accessories. They displayed it on big screen and was helpful to take a decision. I don't see any accessory compelling, yet chosen few. I had chosen - bumper corner protectors, weather deflector, rear bull bar (it covers only 1/3rd but can stop cars coming too close to you), key sleeve leather, underbody paint.

WRT to insurance, members here usually go for the insurance MG provides. Also, the premiums have gone up, plus they have now only Secure Elite. The major threat of taking insurance from outside is that we can't opt for cashless claims at MG service centers.
Isn't bull bar illegal in most states? I didn't have clarity on the rule, hence choose not to take this accessory.

No. Just check with their service centre regarding the insurance companies that they have tie-ups with for cashless claims. 'Secure Elite' is a gimmick to extract more money from the consumer. If your insurer has tie-up with MG garage, they cannot deny cashless claim. Also, there is no chance of denying as they will be earning good money from repairing the car.

Quote:

Not sure. But doesn't matter if the dealer provides you with the original receipt of the full road tax amount paid to the government!
harish.biyani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 11:26   #1121

Hello,

First message. Thank you to TeamBHP for letting me join this forum.

Finally took delivery of my Astor Sharp MT yesterday and still getting used to all these features and gizmos (I come from driving a 2011 Vento barebones base model. Fun to drive though).

A quick question for the other owners. Is there a way to switch off the bot or mute it at least? Kinda irritating with all of it's intrusions while driving.

Thank you in advance.
false_prophet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:30   #1122
BHPian

I wanted to check about the accessories. Very Noob question.

For the Astor, the door sills come as pack of 4 and cost Rs 1659 as set? Or is each one Rs 1659?
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:48   #1123

Hi All,

A query - I noticed today that while driving my Astor, the songs playing on the Infotainment unit kept pausing every 20 or so secs and then resuming. This happened if I played FM or the in built Jio Saavn app or Prime music via Apple Carplay. I called up MG Assistance and they asked me to restart the unit which I did but I still face this issue. Just wanted to check if anyone else has faced this.
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:08   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to check about the accessories. Very Noob question.

For the Astor, the door sills come as pack of 4 and cost Rs 1659 as set? Or is each one Rs 1659?
It was a set of 2 for me. Only front doors as per the dealer. That was wierd though.
immortalmechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 10:05   #1125
Senior - BHPian

This is probably a weird request and it's purely for the sake of curiosity so please don't take too much trouble for it - can anyone who has taken delivery of a production version (not review/media car) Astor confirm whether it has i-Size child seat anchorages or not? They can be identified by the following symbol (emphasis on the letter 'i' at the corner of the box):

Name:  i_sizesymbol400x400.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  12.2 KB

This is because the virtual images of the Astor in the launch implied it was i-Size approved but the media cars do not reflect that.

Name:  rearseats52.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  4.6 KB
(i-Size anchorage symbol in the virtual version: MG)

Name:  astorinteriorisofixchildseatmountingpointrearrow copy.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  14.3 KB
(Regular ISOFIX anchorage symbol in the media cars: CarWale)

Most Viewed