Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2022, 08:36   #1231
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault Dweller View Post
It definitely is more a device than a usual car. The waiting time for Astor top spec version(especially sharp /savvy CVT) is significantly lower than any other variants in most dealerships across India. I got my sharp CVT within a month(booked on 21st Feb, delivery on 16th March).
Don’t think I’ll go for ceramic coating but might go for paint protector film.
The A.I is definitely annoying as it start stop by itself. Will give few hours to the user Manual today and see what more can I learn about the car and will keep posting the progress here.
Hoping that you get your car very soon as well.
As per my dealer when I again inquired about my allotment, he said 2 to 3 months for top model . So I need to wait, and my old car will be sold to another fellow BHPian who is as much passionate as I am to take ownership of Sports sedan 1.6 S fiesta ...so will left with wife's Honda brio toy car
Old 19th March 2022, 22:32   #1232
BHPian

Rained in Bangalore and the lights on highway from Salem to Bangalore was terrible. LEDs will be an issue in rain and fog.
Old 19th March 2022, 22:33   #1233

MG Astor short trip review

Decided to go on a short trip to Sambhar lake from Jaipur. Roughly 200kms round trip. 50% highway,50% broken roads(plus few very rough patches in between) Here are the few pointers i noticed today.

* Suspension is top notch. Don’t feel off-balanced or jerks inside the cabin.
* Engine is super silent & smooth.
* Cruise control works well and adds to the comfort in driving.
* No body roll while driving on highway.
* 1.5 n/a engine struggles a bit while driving uphill.
* This CVT is meant for “sedate driving” strictly. Can’t push too much on highways.
* While driving on highways, better shift to manual for over taking.

Here is a short summary of my drive today. Considering that half of the time we’re dealing with rough patches and car has just driven 300kms odd in total, a mileage of 11km/l is decent.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-9a761d40112c40189d86111cc6999507.jpeg  

Vault Dweller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 08:24   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
MG Astor short trip review

Decided to go on a short trip to Sambhar lake from Jaipur. Roughly 200kms round trip. 50% highway,50% broken roads(plus few very rough patches in between) Here are the few pointers i noticed today.

* Suspension is top notch. Don’t feel off-balanced or jerks inside the cabin.
* Engine is super silent & smooth.
* Cruise control works well and adds to the comfort in driving.
* No body roll while driving on highway.
* 1.5 n/a engine struggles a bit while driving uphill.
* This CVT is meant for “sedate driving” strictly. Can’t push too much on highways.
* While driving on highways, better shift to manual for over taking.

Here is a short summary of my drive today. Considering that half of the time we’re dealing with rough patches and car has just driven 300kms odd in total, a mileage of 11km/l is decent.
That seems to be very good in mileage, definitely CVTs are for sedate and smooth driving did you ty the sports mode for the hill climb?
TheHummerGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 09:19   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
That seems to be very good in mileage, definitely CVTs are for sedate and smooth driving did you ty the sports mode for the hill climb?
I did try all 3 steering modes but because it was not a proper highway drive, I wasn’t able to try sports mode(rather I totally forget about it ). Will give it a try very soon and post an update.
Vault Dweller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 21:41   #1236
BHPian

I have budget upto 12 lakhs for getting a new car. I was not considering Astor as I thought it costs more. But came to know that the base Style variant is in my budget and it got all must have features in it.

I can live with steel wheels and can retro fit reverse camera or Dashcam with reverse camera and display will do.

So, how is Astor style variant engine. The 1.5 NA engine. Is this good or underpowered? I m a sedate drivers. My first car. Mostly will drive on highways.

My other considerations are Honda City 4th Gen, Kia Carens Prestige, Maruti S Cross Zeta (all three with 1.5NA engine), Nexon XZ, Altroz DCA (yet to launch).

How is the Astor when compared to the list of cars mentioned above? Please shed some lights.
Old 21st March 2022, 08:21   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivasBaskaran View Post
I have budget upto 12 lakhs for getting a new car. I was not considering Astor as I thought it costs more. But came to know that the base Style variant is in my budget and it got all must have features in it.

I can live with steel wheels and can retro fit reverse camera or Dashcam with reverse camera and display will do.

So, how is Astor style variant engine. The 1.5 NA engine. Is this good or underpowered? I m a sedate drivers. My first car. Mostly will drive on highways.

My other considerations are Honda City 4th Gen, Kia Carens Prestige, Maruti S Cross Zeta (all three with 1.5NA engine), Nexon XZ, Altroz DCA (yet to launch).

How is the Astor when compared to the list of cars mentioned above? Please shed some lights.
Hi IMO i would rate Astor much above KIA and Maruti Suzuki in safety and strength, Nexon is good as budget car but I liked the European styling, build quality, drivability in Astor as I was using Fiesta before. Overall I would rate Astor better as SAIC motors which is its parent is 7th in top 10 global automobile companies
TheHummerGuy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 11:28   #1238

Hello fellow BHPians and Astor owners, I got my new Astor smart CVT a few days ago and I’m thinking of getting some sort of coating(ceramic coating/ppf..not sure yet). If someone has got this sort of work done on their Astor, I would love to know what their experience is and what advice would they give me?
Here are few things that I would like to know from other Astor owners.

* Ceramic coating/PPF their thoughts?
* Pls suggest cleaning accessories(shampoo,type of cloth,any power cleaning tool they prefer?
* Sun blinds ordered online that are fit for Astor? (MG charges almost 4K for those which are a bit too much IMHO).
Few of my questions may sound naive but pls understand it’s my very first car owned by me and quite an upgrade from my pulse diesel manual. So I kinda feel lost regarding these “take care” accessories as I never felt the need for these with my pulse. 😐
Old 21st March 2022, 12:11   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians and Astor owners, I got my new Astor smart CVT a few days ago and I’m thinking of getting some sort of coating(ceramic coating/ppf..not sure yet). If someone has got this sort of work done on their Astor, I would love to know what their experience is and what advice would they give me?
Here are few things that I would like to know from other Astor owners.

* Ceramic coating/PPF their thoughts?
* Pls suggest cleaning accessories(shampoo,type of cloth,any power cleaning tool they prefer?
* Sun blinds ordered online that are fit for Astor? (MG charges almost 4K for those which are a bit too much IMHO).
Few of my questions may sound naive but pls understand it’s my very first car owned by me and quite an upgrade from my pulse diesel manual. So I kinda feel lost regarding these “take care” accessories as I never felt the need for these with my pulse. 😐
Hi there, each has its own advantages and dis-advantages, one can refer the link https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ly-useful.html

I am going for ceramic coating as it suits my needs.

In regards to the accessories, better to go for MG genuine as fit will be perfect and why have to save 4k for 15lks spent on the car? All the best for miles to crunch on the Astor
Old 21st March 2022, 14:04   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be very honest, most of these accessories/upgrades are unnecessary. Maybe the sunblinds are useful but even that depends on how your daily usage looks like. Every car from an Alto to an S-Class is usable "out of the box".

I suggest you wait six months and then you'll know what the pain points are. At that point, you will understand the value of the accessory and can decide if it's worth the price being quoted.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:33   #1241
BHPian

Can anyone comment on the build quality of Astor? Say compared to Seltos or Creta?
Old 21st March 2022, 15:06   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
Can anyone comment on the build quality of Astor? Say compared to Seltos or Creta?
While the Indian Astor has not got a crash test rating yet, the Thai spec MG ZS Petrol scored 5 stars in crash tests conducted by the ASEAN NCAP, while the ZS EV performed similarly
Old 21st March 2022, 18:48   #1243
BHPian

Today I sold my Astor Style which I bought last month. Somehow I never enjoyed the drive both in City and Highway. Car used to struggle on inclines with AC, got it checked with friends but same was the feedback. Fuel efficiency was also a concern and in Delhi traffic I could squeeze out anywhere between 8 to 10 with AC. Although it's a very capable car on build and features but MG should work on power and pickup being delivered. This is my personal opinion and may differ with others.
Gearup_1111 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 19:56   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post
Car used to struggle on inclines with AC, got it checked with friends but same was the feedback. Fuel efficiency was also a concern and in Delhi traffic I could squeeze out anywhere between 8 to 10 with AC. Although it's a very capable car on build and features but MG should work on power and pickup being delivered.
These were exactly my concerns with Astor 1.5, during my test ride I couldn't test in on inclines. I will also try to take another test drive later.

BTW, does anyone know if the same pickup & mileage issues are also there in Seltos, Creta 1.5 NA engines?
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:51   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer16 View Post
These were exactly my concerns with Astor 1.5, during my test ride I couldn't test in on inclines. I will also try to take another test drive later.

BTW, does anyone know if the same pickup & mileage issues are also there in Seltos, Creta 1.5 NA engines?
I think Turbo is for the power lovers and CVT for the performance and fuel efficiency. Seltos also give similar mileage as I test drove it in traffic, what i saw was 8.5kms per ltr. IMO It depends on individual choice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks