Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2022, 07:05   #1276
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

So on Sunday, I did the hard thing. Went to the MG showroom and discussed about the cancellation of my booking. No fuss, no drama, they politely enquired the reasons and double checked if I had received the chasis number or not for the nexon ev max. They provided me the details and steps to be followed to ensure cancellation is completed and booking amount is credited back to me. Woke up to the message, that the booking amount has been credited to my account from the dealer, in just 2 working days. Even for cancelation their service has been phenomenol.
rkmunjuluri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 10:37   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
So on Sunday, I did the hard thing. Went to the MG showroom and discussed about the cancellation of my booking. No fuss, no drama, they politely enquired the reasons and double checked if I had received the chasis number or not for the nexon ev max.
Astor Savvy CVT to Nexon EV max doesn't look like a straight-forward alternative from general perspective since these two cars are different on their own - ADAS vs non-ADAS, Not-very fuel efficient petrol car vs EV etc. If you don't mind, can you share the rationale behind your original and the new choice?
skarthiksr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 13:10   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Astor Savvy CVT to Nexon EV max doesn't look like a straight-forward alternative from general perspective since these two cars are different on their own - ADAS vs non-ADAS, Not-very fuel efficient petrol car vs EV etc. If you don't mind, can you share the rationale behind your original and the new choice?
Rationale is simple, we wanted to shift to electric when we thought of getting a new car. It would be the only car at home and should be used for both in-city and out of city travels without range anxiety. When I started the search in December last year, only one car could fit the requirement, it was MG ZS EV. After enquiring with MG we learnt that they are not accepting any new booking as there is a new version which will be launched in 2022 and it will be atleast 2 lakhs pricier than the current version. We were stretching way out of our comfort zone and that additional 2 lakh meant, death of our EV dream.

We were back to square one. So started looking at petrol vehicles. Criteria was simple, should be a very safe car, more than 1 litre engine capacity and body type should be SUV, but less than 4.4 meters in length as that is the max i can squeeze in my parking space.

Checked out and test driven Kushaq, Taigun, Nexon, XUV 300 and Astor. I was blown away by the service received from MG. Then the interiors were almost 2 segments above almost all those cars mentioned. Icing on the cake was that, it was loaded with safety tech. Cherry on top is it being the petrol cousin to the ZS EV, we told ourselves that we can transition to ZS EV, in 5 to 6 years when it is more with in our budget. So booked an Astor in Feb and the wait started.

During the month of March, the KHT motors people did not leave me alone when I said I am not happy with nexon Petrol automatic and they pushed me to take a look at their EV once. After 3 to 4 followups I budged and asked them to bring it to my home and the next day they were promptly there in front of my home by 11 AM in the morning, a good 30 mins early. They spent almost 2 and half hours with us, which included test drive, explaining the car and its features and demo. Then finally they talked about the Nexon EV 2.0 variant which they confirmed will be Launched by end of April or early May.

During the test drive we could feel the difference of ride quality from a petrol automatic and we are not sure why, but we felt the interiors were not as bad as the petrol variant. With the promise from them that the Nexon EV 2.0 will be able to provide atleast 300 kms highway kms range, took the bait and made a pre booking for Nexon EV 2.0 on 23rd March.

Fast forward to May 11th, we liked what we saw during the launch event of Nexon EV Max. After doing couple of test drives, we felt the ride quality hasn't been compromised and interiors were definitely much better than nexon and also a step up from Nexon EV.
Even after prebooking this model I was initially told I need to wait for atleast 2 months. Then out of blue on 27th May, they told me that I got an allocation. Then the race started for the purchase order and running around lease providers and signing authorities in office. Finally on 2nd June I got the Invoice with chasis details.
So we were lucky to get what we were looking for, an EV, which can be used for both with in city and out of city drives. The SA has confirmed that the car has reached their yard today.

There is no doubt that I was smitten by Astor and would miss its interiors, safety tech and the service of MG.
rkmunjuluri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 17:48   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
So on Sunday, I did the hard thing. Went to the MG showroom and discussed about the cancellation of my booking. No fuss, no drama, they politely enquired the reasons and double checked if I had received the chasis number or not for the nexon ev max. They provided me the details and steps to be followed to ensure cancellation is completed and booking amount is credited back to me. Woke up to the message, that the booking amount has been credited to my account from the dealer, in just 2 working days. Even for cancelation their service has been phenomenol.
It is really a great decision to go for an EV instead of a petrol automatic. As long as an EV is serving your needs, there is no point in considering a fuel guzzler like Astor. (No offense please).
Couple of my friends were proud owners of Astor CVT Savvy variant and they are able to manage an economy of 7-8 kmpl in City and 11-12 in highways, which is pretty low compared to other cars in the segment. EV gives you a complete peace of mind for city and surrounding drives.

Last edited by Hickstead : 7th June 2022 at 17:51.
Hickstead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 06:53   #1280
BHPian

Astor Mileage

Though the fuel consumption doesn’t matter much, as it is not our primary car, the very low mileage is surprising. Considering that Astor we own is NA engine and not the fuel/guzzling Turbo Petrol, the numbers are really bad.

Absolutely no idea about the reason.
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 15:20   #1281
BHPian

Re: Astor Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
Though the fuel consumption doesn’t matter much, as it is not our primary car, the very low mileage is surprising. Considering that Astor we own is NA engine and not the fuel/guzzling Turbo Petrol, the numbers are really bad.

Absolutely no idea about the reason.
Can you add a bit more detail?

1. Like what kind of mileage have you seen recently and in what kind of traffic?

2. How did you measure it (tank to tank or MID?)?

3. What is the approximate odometer reading when you measured/noted the above numbers?

4. How many services have been completed? etc
Old 12th June 2022, 17:02   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Can you add a bit more detail?

1. Like what kind of mileage have you seen recently and in what kind of traffic?

2. How did you measure it (tank to tank or MID?)?

3. What is the approximate odometer reading when you measured/noted the above numbers?

4. How many services have been completed? etc
In heavy traffic and in short drives, it is giving around 6-7 kmpl. For reference, in similar traffic, my Octavia 1.8 TSI, DSG gives around 8-10 kmpl. This is as per MID reading.

I have measured mileage on tank-full to tank-full method, in local travel, it has never crossed 8 kmpl, whereas Octy returns with around 10 kmpl. I know it is not an equal comparison of cars, but my surprise is how can a 1.5L NA engine give lower mileage than an 1.8 turbo one.

Astor is five months old and has had only one service. Second service (6-months one) is due next month. It is driven around 2000 kms.
K.grg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 17:52   #1283

We are in the market trying to replace a 7 yrs old Grand i10.
My primary requirements are a comfortable family car with good features and an automatic transmission. And it should feel like an upgrade. Currently evaluating options below 20L and would ideally like to keep that upper limit.

We are considering getting an Astor CVT, Sharp variant (without the ADAS features, I don't see myself using these too much). Is it still worth buying the car (approx. 19.7L on-road) without the differentiating technology?
When we test drove the car, it was a hot and sunny day, and the AC could not cool the cabin with all the sun peeking through the mesh. I am not sure if that is a consistent experience with the owners of the car or just a vehicle-specific issue.

What other options can I consider for a sedately driven family car with all the creature comforts?

We have ruled out Sonet due to the insane waiting periods, and family members don't want a Creta.
My last option is getting an i20 N8, which seems to be acceptable to everyone.
Old 12th June 2022, 19:05   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmylighton View Post
We are in the market trying to replace a 7 yrs old Grand i10.
My primary requirements are a comfortable family car with good features and an automatic transmission. And it should feel like an upgrade. Currently evaluating options below 20L and would ideally like to keep that upper limit.

What other options can I consider for a sedately driven family car with all the creature comforts?

We have ruled out Sonet due to the insane waiting periods, and family members don't want a Creta.
My last option is getting an i20 N8, which seems to be acceptable to everyone.
What about new facelifted Venue or Seltos?
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 00:05   #1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
What about new facelifted Venue or Seltos?
We will be checking out the new venue as it launches.
Old 13th June 2022, 23:58   #1286
Senior - BHPian

My nephew got the average as shown, on his round trip from Kochi to Mumbai via Goa and return via Pune - Hubli - and back to Kochi including city and highway drive ten days back covering 3K KMs in his Astor MT.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-km.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 14th June 2022 at 00:01.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:59   #1287
BHPian

I took delivery of my new mg astor sharp cvt, spiced orange on Sunday
So far experience has been good and glitch free, hope to drive it more and give some detailed insights
Anikesh11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 17:03   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Is it still worth buying the car (approx. 19.7L on-road) without the differentiating technology?
Woah, My Sharp(O)/Savvy 1.3Turbo cost me 19.1L on-road in Chandigarh. Karnataka road taxes are off the hook!

Quote:
When we test drove the car, it was a hot and sunny day, and the AC could not cool the cabin with all the sun peeking through the mesh. I am not sure if that is a consistent experience with the owners of the car or just a vehicle-specific issue.
I live in Chandigarh, where the temperature has been regularly breaching the 45C mark in the past few weeks. I run the AC at full blast for the first 5 mins, usually from the remote HVAC through iSmart app. After that, I put it down to 30% fan speed and change the air ventilation mode to circulate existing air. It's been quite comfortable for me. I did get my AC filter cleaned right before summer began. and plan to do it once every 3 months for optimal performance.it could be the vehicle has a clogged filter.

During my last (5k) service visit, I took a test drive of the facelifted EV. I do remember that the EV car's AC was barely working and the SA chalked it up to a bad/uncleaned filter.
cbrspn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 15:52   #1289
BHPian

As per the source below the features of the base variant of Astor gets some new additions:

'MG Motor India further improved its appeal with the addition of an air purifier. This is not a dedicated air purifier in the car but a PM 2.5 filter added along with the AC filter, which works just as well without making its presence felt. MG also added the wheel arch and side cladding along with wheel covers. However, MG removed 2 USB charging ports, as the Astor now gets only 3 USB points instead of 5.'

Also prices have been hiked upto Rs. 45,000

Source: V3Cars
Old 19th June 2022, 22:42   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
In heavy traffic and in short drives, it is giving around 6-7 kmpl. For reference, in similar traffic, my Octavia 1.8 TSI, DSG gives around 8-10 kmpl.
I had booked an Astor Style Variant. However, I wanted to know the tested mileage before allotment and put up an RTI application to ARAI. They replied that they have not tested the vehicle. Later found out that ICAT ( a division of NATRIP) had tested the vehicle but they rejected my RTI application on grounds of confidentiality. I appealed against the same but appellate authority also did not share the information citing clause 6.5 of AIS 017 (procedure gudeline) which reads as below:
"The Testing Agency shall maintain confidentiality of the certificates, test
reports and test data. However, if required, these may be given to the Ministry of Surface Transport and Ministry of Industry."

Took up the matter with MoST, who have advised that presently it is not mandatory to disclose the certified mileage. However, they assured to look into my suggestion to make mandatory the disclosure of certified mileage by all manufacturers.

I am quite surprised by the fact the disclosure of certified mileage of a passenger car is not mandatory in India, while Refrigerators, ACs etc have to disclose their efficiency / star rating and power consumption. As a prospective owner, don't I have the right to know this very important parameter before purchase of a vehicle? In this context, Manufacturers who disclose the certified mileage should be appreciated as it now appears that they are doing so voluntarily.

In the absence of disclosure of certified mileage, I decided to cancel my booking and sent the cancellation request to the concerned dealer.

Last edited by DImPo : 19th June 2022 at 22:52.
DImPo is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed