Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 10:11   #571
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The base variant, for that money, is a steal! It's kitted close enough to mid variants of some rivals, and the sub-10 lac tax benefits make it a sweeter deal down south.
Any chance of getting an official TBHP review of the 1.5 NA (manual & CVT)? That would be a huge help for those who want to consider these, given the huge value the lower variants offer.

With features and fit and finish that most rivals at that price point do not have (and even the higher end variants of some), would help to get some official word on how good or bad the 1.5 NA is. I did see a couple of member TD feedback that hinted at an average performer. The 1.3 turbo, competent as it is, is in some ways, neither budget friendly like the 1.0 turbo from the VAG camp nor is it as much of a performer as their 1.5 turbo.

Would be great if the official review can come in before the Oct 21st booking date. Thanks!
RPM1706 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:12   #572
BHPian

Very competitive pricing, neither disruptive as the XUV700 nor overpriced as the Skoda/VW offering in the segment.
The base variant is very well loaded - ESP, Traction control, Auto AC, Android Auto, Shark fin antenna to name a few and priced below 10 lakhs.
The top-end while undercutting the Germans and Koreans also provides a reliable torque converter AT. It is not fair to say ADAS is skipped in the top trim, LCA (Lane Change Assist), RCTA (Rear Cross Traffic Alert), BSD (Blind Spot Detection) is still provided.
What is available in the options pack is mainly related to the forward camera/radar systems namely ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), Lane functions (like Lane Departure Warning/Prevention, Lane Keep Assist), Collision Prevention (FCW (Forward Collision Warning), Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)).
Meph1st0 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:13   #573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
Any chance of getting an official TBHP review of the 1.5 NA (manual & CVT)? That would be a huge help for those who want to consider these, given the huge value the lower variants offer...
That depends on what variants are made available to us for review.

Goes without saying, whatever we do get will be reviewed thoroughly and observations presented here.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:20   #574
BHPian

Pricing is not 'great' but it's' good enough to fight with the competitors.

The STYLE variant is a killer VFM variant, it has got all the essential features (and a bit more too!) for a car buyer in 2021.

I don't need anything more than a STYLE variant of Astor. Good one MG!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:43   #575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I feel MG Astor looks gorgeous. The stylish grill, flashy side door beadings, air flow decor, stainless steel type window garnish, chrom beadings in the wheel claddings is very very attractive. The colours are also very likeable. This is more a geeky car for young enthusiasts who don't mind throwing their big bucks for a flashy vehicle. The endless list of gizmo features would definitely attract prospective buyers. The side view resembles that of SCross. But if I were out in the market for a ₹22+ lakhs vehicle, I would still contemplate MG Hector, XUV 700, Harrier, Hexa & Taigun.

I have seen MG Hector SUVs with almost zero noise engine. But to my surprise I see some buyers complaining about single digit mileage.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2021 at 05:46. Reason: Edited: Biased postings in favour of the Nissan Kicks
Kick'OKicks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:47   #576
BHPian

Decent pricing from MG, nothing as everyone was expecting. Top model having 3 cylinder 1.3 Turbo should have been capped at max 15.5L considering the cons of a 3 cylinder motor. The segment has the smooth and enthusiastic 1.5 TSI 4 cylinder engine in the Taigun for 17.5L with almost all the must have features so pricing a 3 cylinder engine at 16.78L is not very competitive IMHO. Safety kit is good and would be a tad better or on par with the Germans and better than the Koreans for sure.
Best thing in Astor is the beautiful interiors which they have added in the option pack and would be charged separately. So all in all a decent pricing, it is good as a customer to have more cars in every segment.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:52   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
There was no way that the interior package was going to be available from the base model. If MG did that there would one less premium item to distinguish the top end model from the base one.

You can always go ahead and get the seats redone from any reputed shops in your place.
I'm fine with premium interiors not available in the base variant, but just two body color options for the Style variant is bit of a disappointment.

You can choose only Candy White or Aurora Silver for the Style variant. It would have been awesome if Starry Black atleast was available. 😅
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 11:59   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
You also get roof rails, LED tail lamps and front fog Lamps with cornering assist.

Refer latest brochure.
Thanks, yes I did see that, I was pointing to the major differences. Even if you consider all differences, is it worth the 1.5L premium on ex Showroom price? Which increases road tax, insurance along with it.
  • 17" Alloys
  • Roof Rails
  • LED Map Lamp (as opposed to a normal lamp)
  • Reverse Parking Camera
  • Front Fog lamps with cornering assist
  • LED Tail Lamps
Old 12th October 2021, 14:03   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Thanks, yes I did see that, I was pointing to the major differences. Even if you consider all differences, is it worth the 1.5L premium on ex Showroom price? Which increases road tax, insurance along with it.
  • 17" Alloys
  • Roof Rails
  • LED Map Lamp (as opposed to a normal lamp)
  • Reverse Parking Camera
  • Front Fog lamps with cornering assist
  • LED Tail Lamps
I think MG has deliberately cut the prices of the base variant to keep it under 10L and that's why the price difference between the next variant is so vast. So I'm guessing there's no direct mapping of features to price point here.
shibulijack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 14:30   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
I think MG has deliberately cut the prices of the base variant to keep it under 10L and that's why the price difference between the next variant is so vast. So I'm guessing there's no direct mapping of features to price point here.
Most logical explanation. They are taking a hit right now because the single digit ex showroom price makes for great marketing.
I wouldn't be surprised if they silently discontinue the model few months down the line like they did for the Hector.
All the more reason to get the base model, even if it means fewer colour choices.
Arun1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 15:19   #581
BHPian

Is there any official confirmation on the ground clearance no.? ZS EV has GC of 177mm, whereas competition has GC of 188-190mm.

As per Carwale, Astor has GC of 141mm?! Could be laden, which would still be lesser than Kushaq's (shortest out all competition) 155mm laden GC.
Old 12th October 2021, 15:22   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post

The STYLE variant is a killer VFM variant, it has got all the essential features (and a bit more too!) for a car buyer in 2021.

I don't need anything more than a STYLE variant of Astor. Good one MG!
Also, considering that the fact that they skipped the annoying bot in the style variant, all the more reason to opt for it. I pre-reserved the style variant; waiting for a Test drive. Hoping the engine, though underpowered, proves adequate for city drives.
Bhargav7 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 16:19   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
3. Kia Seltos is OKish, but does not feel like the one that I can drive for another 8 years.
As someone who went from the 2009 Corolla Altis thinking the Seltos wouldn't come close, it really ultimately blew my mind for everyday practicality. Though the ride is a bit stiffer as compared to our lower sedans, it really shines with its punchy, fun-to-drive engine and not to mention the tech and features its loaded with. Where the Creta feels a bit plasticky and not comfortable, the Seltos really shines.
Old 12th October 2021, 17:00   #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Note: Off topic

Hi

I am seriously considering Hector Plus 6 seater Petrol AT Sharp. But wondering about the real world mileage in BLR. I drive 56 kms between office (Whitefield) and home (Bannerghatta Road).

What is the mileage in the Bangalore grid lock. Now a days I drive to office in the early hours ( as in 6.30AM start from home and 3.30pm start from office). Still would like to know what we can expect in BLR in general.

And how is the mileage in the highway, if cruising at 90kmph?

Is this comparable to the other competitors?

-Arvind
Hi Arvind, I own a Hector Plus 6 Seat DCT and have clocked around 6800 till now with a 70 : 30 mix of City and Highway travel. Being a very sedate driver in the city and aggressive on highways, for me there is not much difference in the mileage between both. I have on overall, averaged around 8.74 Km/L with a max of 10.4 Km/L and min of 7.9 Km/L. All these are on tankful to tankful calculations and not based on MID. Not sure of Bangalore conditions, but DCT is fun and we need to be consciously light on the pedal (which I tend to forget when on highways), else with its sheer size it is sure going to be real thirsty.
SM.Turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 19:43   #585
BHPian

Received a message from MG that I've pre-reserved the Astor . Surprised to see that they've chosen the model and even the colour for me where I've done only a short test drive and mentioned nothing about booking. Apparently you only need to have a test drive to pre reserve an Astor. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-img_20211012_193404.jpg  

Last edited by JJ1991 : 12th October 2021 at 19:55.
JJ1991 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks