Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2021, 22:15   #631
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: MG Astor Review

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings2306 View Post
Hi all!! Greetings to everyone. I am from Chennai and have been following this forum since 2015 and this is my post since becoming a member of Team-BHP. To give a background, I was one of the early bees who bought Elite i20 in 2014. I own an i20 Asta 1.2 2014 Petrol variant model and have driven only 50000 kms in 7 years. My i20 bought at Rs. 6.7 lakhs OTR, has been a gem, literally trouble-free, very light on maintenance, sufficient for my family of 4 (3 adults + 1 kid).
I am surprised you haven't considered the XUV 7OO. The MX/AX3 Petrol variants literally tick every box in your list of requirements. Moreover, that car will feel like a proper upgrade over your current hatchback. The 200bhp petrol engine is just an added icing.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th October 2021 at 10:14. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 15th October 2021, 22:27   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStRyder View Post

Update : Sharp (O) / Savy variant prices have been updated on the website.

For the 1.3 Turbo AT additional 60,000 for ADAS and Sangria Red interiors

For the 1.5 CVT additional 90,000 only for ADAS

This takes the Astor to the Taigun and Kushaq 1.5 DSG range
Thanks for the update and in continuation to the above, i’m just adding the one option (dual tone ivory) for 1.5 along with pictorial representation.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-78b136de2a404ff0953ee2b7f8d8b2d5.png  

MG Astor Review-d1bff303ecde4039b0ca654b357fd4e7.png  

MG Astor Review-ddea06f618b44226b1a7d43d30f8ab16.png  

Old 16th October 2021, 00:38   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick88 View Post
Test drove the Astor 1.5 CVT today, and it was so underwhelming. :(
The Astor felt so lazy and just didn't want to accelerate, and seemed really bumpy on uneven roads
Another one Down :(. Now wait for a new car Launch. Somehow I feel the new Brezza will do the trick with 6 speed AT but that's atleast 6 months away. Wait begins for yet another car.

On the suspension front I mentioned earlier as well, it seems Astor has basic McPherson strut and Torsion beam. I request the experts to plesse shed a light on this. Such basic setup is usually found in cars from lower segments.
Old 16th October 2021, 11:58   #634
BHPian

Quote:
On the suspension front I mentioned earlier as well, it seems Astor has basic McPherson strut and Torsion beam. I request the experts to plesse shed a light on this. Such basic setup is usually found in cars from lower segments.
This suspension setup is the norm for this segment. If you go a segment higher, ( Compass, Tuscon, C3) independent suspension will be available

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th October 2021 at 12:35. Reason: fixing quote tags
Sivacar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 13:34   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivacar View Post
This suspension setup is the norm for this segment. If you go a segment higher, ( Compass, Tuscon, C3) independent suspension will be available
Thanks Siva. Agreed Mcphurson and Torsion beam are standard but the missing thing which is generally available in this segment is "Coil Spring". Not sure how much difference it would make.
Old 16th October 2021, 15:04   #636
BHPian

Took a long test drive this morning. Here are some further observations:

• NVH levels are superb in low as well as high speed environments. Post 3.5k RPM, there is a sporty note from the engine which doesn't sound coarse. And it's absolutely silent at idle without any harshness or vibrations. Overall, at par with 4 cylinder units. Yes, you read it right. I was one of the septics about this 3 cylinder unit but after experiencing how smooth and refined this engine really is, I'm sold and how!

Score: 9.5/10.
  • Engine: We drove it on open roads for a few minutes and the engine performance is more than satisfactory. The engine roars and pounces forward once turbo kicks in. The traffic at 9:30 in the morning was bad enough to slow us down and therefore we couldn't test it's true potential. Maybe not as fun as Hyundai/Kia 1.4 turbo engine, but it's not too far behind (if at all). A highway test drive would help assess it. Overall, this engine and gearbox is going to keep majority of drivers super happy.

Score: 8/10
  • Ride and Handling: Last time we could only drive it in dense traffic so this time we wanted to test it in high speeds and I must say that even the suspension setup is on the softer side, it's quite composed and doesn't bounce much on undulations. Having said that, it doesn't give you that confidence in corners though. But then I don't think it's made for such stunts. It's a (very) comfortable family car which keeps you and your family happy in those bad roads with its cushy ride and plush interiors.

Score: 8/10
  • ADAS and Other Features: We tested adaptive cruise control and it's one great feature to have. Very intuitive and fun to use. One really needs to experience it. My son definitely wants to have it in his new car now . The Forward Collision Prevention and Blind Spot Monitoring are another features we liked. I feel ADAS is a little overkill for our roads and driving conditions though and I don't see people using it a lot.

One big complaint we have is how sad and pathetic 360 degree camera quality really is!! It's grainy and low rent and just doesn't belong to this segment. Very disappointing. Dear members - can the camera set up be upgraded?

The infotainment touch response is surprisingly good. I expected it to be slow but it's reasonably quick and works just fine. The physical buttons to control infotainment system are of high quality and feel good to touch and use. They are equally usable too as they cover most of the basic functionalities. One big problem we noticed is there is no 'back' button in the interface! You have to go back to 'home' and start all over. I hope this will be rectified later via software update. But it's a stupid miss from MG.

My 8 year grandson loves panoramic sunroof and the Astror didn't disappoint him. The sunroof is HUGE and beautiful. The only concern we have is with the sun blind - it's thin. Though we did notice that it doesn't let a lot of sunlight and heat pass through it. Adding a layer of dark tint to the sunroof is one of the things one can do to address any issue with it I guess.

Score: 8/10.

Overall, barring a few gripes, we are happy with the car. We would want to go with the Savvy variant with ADAS if we were to purchase it. My son, however, is a little unsure of the overall looks of the car. While he adores how handsome the Astor looks, he prefers boxy and straight line design more than the curvy design in Astor. He is weighing the other available options at the moment but for anyone who likes its design, tired of waiting for Creta/Seltos, wants to experience two segment up interior quality and equally good service, the Astor is not a bad choice at all.
Col Mehta is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:02   #637
BHPian

I was looking to get a test drive of the CVT variant of the Astor because it appeared to be VFM, and in case I would be shelling our few lacs more, I might go for the Hector shine CVT.

However in my 2 visits to the MG showroom, I have not been able to get a TD of the CVT variant, even though it is supposedly available. I have been pushed both times to go for a TD of the Turbo AT.

Curious as to whether this could be a ploy to either upsell the turbo or avoid TDs of the CVT as it's performance might not be that spirited.

Also wanted to call out the mismanagement at MG Delhi Lajpat Nagar. Each time I go in, I'm asked who I am talking to, and when I don't remember they create a new lead in my name. It should be easy enough to track this in whatever sales software they are using.
nasir88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 18:01   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
I was looking to get a test drive of the CVT variant of the Astor because it appeared to be VFM, and in case I would be shelling our few lacs more, I might go for the Hector shine CVT.

However in my 2 visits to the MG showroom, I have not been able to get a TD of the CVT variant, even though it is supposedly available. I have been pushed both times to go for a TD of the Turbo AT.

Curious as to whether this could be a ploy to either upsell the turbo or avoid TDs of the CVT as it's performance might not be that spirited.

Also wanted to call out the mismanagement at MG Delhi Lajpat Nagar. Each time I go in, I'm asked who I am talking to, and when I don't remember they create a new lead in my name. It should be easy enough to track this in whatever sales software they are using.
I have had similar experience with test drives of Seltos and Creta IVT models. Dealers are only interested to push turbo petrol test drives. But finally I managed to get the test drives and booked Creta IVT. I found Creta IVT to be satisfactory for my 90% city + remaining highway runs. I'd recommend to take the CVT test drive before you decide to go for turbo engine. You never know..
Old 16th October 2021, 18:16   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Reveals Prices For The Astor’s ADAS Pack:

Quote:
The ADAS option pack of the Astor can only be added to the top-end Sharp automatic variants.

The 1.5 NA CVT sharp(0) will cost you ₹ 15.88 lakh whereas the 1.3 turbo automatic sharp(o) will set you back by ₹17.38 lakh.

Both the variants command a premium of ₹90,000 and ₹60,000 respectively over the sharp variant.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th October 2021 at 18:17.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 22:18   #640
BHPian

After so many test drives of the Astor - CVT and Turbo variants, we decided and went ahead and booked the Hector (stretching my budget). The reasons are as follows

1. CVT ivory white interiors - Did not like it at all and the Adas with Red interiors were costing close to 19 lacs in Delhi.

2. Turbo was close to 20 lacs. We really liked the turbo with all black interiors and almost finalised on it. As we were about to book we did the financing for the Hector and it was very close to the Astor and my mom and wife loved the space. I know the average will be less but we are getting the following over the astor
1. Bigger car
2. Ventilated seats
3. Automatic IRVM
4. Better music system
5. 5 year warranty as against 3 year.

I was really keen on the astor but somehow was disappointed with the choices and pricing being really close to the Hector.

I really dont know if it is the right decision but went with my heart as i felt the Hector is more VFM.

Happy to get thoughts ?
hbkamit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 22:24   #641
BHPian

Here's a 1 month and 4 month ownership review of the MG ZS/Astor from Australia. Many minor bugs, quirks and lots of cheap plastics! Not major deal breakers but they've done some cost cutting. May be Indian variants will have these fixed.

Old 16th October 2021, 22:27   #642
BHPian

I went for test drive of Astor Turbo yesterday to Gurgaon flagship store. To our surprise Astor was not available for TD and we were told it will come after a day or so. How can flagship store only have 1 TD vehicle and that too not available? I'm perplexed!! (Is MG already in XUV700 state of mind that first batch is already booked, hence no efforts needed to push more eh?)

Though given the fact that Hector Petrol Sharp CVT (top variant) is priced only 10% higher than Astor Sharp (O), we checked it out. We even ended up doing a TD of Hector CVT and liked it!

Now the Hector vs. Astor confusion is at another level in my mind. Key observations on Hector vs. Astor Value Proposition:
1) Space on offer - After sitting in Astor and checking it's boot, Hector seemed to be double in size! Family preferred bigger comfortable space. H-1, A-0

2) Interior quality - Though Hector offers decent quality, Astor's soft touch material overall quality is definitely 2 segments above. H-1, A-1

3) Seats comfort - Hector's seats give better under thigh support and are more comfortable with soft cushioning. H-2, A-1

4) Driver seat - The commanding position of Hector is good and something one gets in XUV or Harrier is this price range. Astor seemed very much close to what I feel in i20; only subtle difference. Astor wouldn't be psychologically rewarding given limited change from current. H-3, A-1

5) Driving dynamics (WIP) - Hector CVT has good low rpm pickup unlike DCT. Though at times on highway after applying brakes when I quickly floored accelerator, the response was delayed by 1-2 secs, maybe CVTs are not meant to be driven like this with quick switching! The suspension was good enough to mask bad pot-holes, that my i20 can't bear with. 18inch alloys do make a difference by improving ride quality vs last year. Stearing feedback seemed very much like i20's finger flicking light wheel, so no problem. I mostly cruise at around 90kmph on highway. Given the sedate driving style, I am happy with CVT performance.

ASTOR I will TD in a day or two; will update this point asap. H-3, A-1

5) Features - Where Hector gets all missing features of Astor (Ventilated seats, Auto dimming IRVM, wireless charger, etc.), Astor gets ADAS features additionally. If ADAS isn't the criteria, then Hector wins on this, as it gets almost all required features. Though I will treat this as draw. H-3, A-1

6) Engine power - Hector's 1.5L engine may seem like underpowered engine for the car's size and weight. But while driving CVT, the car easily achieved 90kmph speed. For me the power is more than sufficient. I don't want to invest in Diesel which may end up having low resale value down the line.
About Astor will get to know once I drive. H-3, A-1

7) Pricing - Hector top end petrol AT with CVT will come at 21.3L on road in Gurgaon, without ADAS. Whereas Astor comes at 19L (without ADAS). For 2L difference one can get a segment above car. MG had priced Hector very much competitively, maybe to enter market and attract customers. Now we do see quite a few Hectors on road. MG has been successful in selling it. MG is going premium route with Astor by pricing it at similar price point as competition. For sure it offers more than its competitors at the price, though it is the only car in market with 3 cylinder lower powered (on paper) engine and has audacity to ask for 20L price tag. Looking at both car's prices, Hector is clear winner from VFM perspective. H-4, A-1

We are at H4 and A1. Now only if driving dynamics of Astor can bridge this gap, it will make sense to consider it. I will get to know when I drive, but what do you think?

Also, if I wait till early Jan to see Hector facelift with ADAS, which will most likely make Hector pricier by 1L(est.), it will then have decent gap to Astor top model. Considering this, my fellow bhpians, does it make sense to go ahead with current Hector or wait till Jan and book one with ADAS? It's an investment for next 5-6 years, before we switch to EV (if it kicks off well by then!), so does it make sense to wait? Thanks
manpreetsj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 22:35   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Also, if I wait till early Jan to see Hector facelift with ADAS, which will most likely make Hector pricier by 1L(est.), it will then have decent gap to Astor top model. Considering this, my fellow bhpians, does it make sense to go ahead with current Hector or wait till Jan and book one with ADAS? It's an investment for next 5-6 years, before we switch to EV (if it kicks off well by then!), so does it make sense to wait? Thanks
I guess you just summarized everything that is there in my mind. I went ahead and booked the Hector. There might be an upgrade in Jan or Feb but the price might go up as well. Just a big car feel motivated my decision and also its an established product now with all the teething issues resolved (i hope) against a new product in the market. I am okay to go without the ADAS as most of the times it will be disabled only.

Even after booking i am still confused if it was a right decision. Only time will tell

Last edited by Aditya : 17th October 2021 at 04:52. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 16th October 2021, 22:40   #644
BHPian

After the sticker shock on the 1.3 turbo, especially the Sharp O, I had kept an open mind on the CVT. The drive reviews of the Seltos 1.5 NA's CVT variant seemed to suggest it would be drivable enough, with the usual caveat of the rubber band effect.

I still decided to try it out purely because the Astor is such a premium offering. I know aesthetics is an outright personal matter and totally subjective. But I loved the Astor's exterior design and the interiors are from a segment or two above. Despite seeing the pics and the videos, the car in the flesh was even more impressive.

I had done the TD of the 1.3 turbo a few days back. There's enough material on the 1.3 TC combo (including the authoritative Team BHP official review and other videos), so not touching upon it here.

Instead, here are a few observations of the 1.5 NA CVT that the SA at the local MG showroom called me today to confirm availability on. I must confess I was quite circumspect and did not harbour much expectations from the 1.5 CVT.

Maybe it was my low expectations, even mistrust, of this combo but I really was pleasantly relieved. The initial pick up was not the 1.3 TC levels but it was no slouch either. It was linear with a steady right foot and from there on, the speed kept building surely.

And then I realised I was driving in the Drive mode. When I shifted to Sport mode and stepped on the pedal without flooring it, the response was welcomingly spirited. It just didn't feel underpowered or short on engagement.

If anyone drives this just after the 1.3, it might not appeal to them. But if you keep a realistic view of an NA CVT set-up and drive it reasonably (not even sedately), you will not be disappointed.

The one concern I still have is on the fuel efficiency. This is one data point that MG has not officially revealed, not even on the 1.3. It is possible the CVT may fare better on this against the turbo but we will just have to wait for official word or a confirmation on that.

As to why the 1.5 CVT is not being touted or even made available by MG, this is what I think. It should be because MG intentionally wants to put its best foot forward with the 1.3 turbo and give it the focus. The 1.5 CVT, as I personally experienced, is in no way an embarrassment in any way and is even an option for the more budget conscious buyer of the Astor.

The one bummer here is MG's arrogance on restricting the popular Sangria red only on the Sharp (O) variant, not even on the Sharp, much less the Smart. What's worse is their imposing only the dual tone black and ivory combination in the CVT, not even the Tuxedo black. I can understand the ADAS coming at a high premium but an upholstery colour?!!

In short, for anyone willing to settle on the CVT but would like the Sangria red, the price gets pushed up all the way at the Sharp (O)/Savvy levels. And that is around the starting mark of the 1.3 turbo!! Why MG, why??!

Last edited by RPM1706 : 16th October 2021 at 22:51.
RPM1706 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 23:53   #645
BHPian

So this Astor vs. Hector debate is not limited to my family after all!

My son and I have been pondering over this thought for sometime now. The Astor 1.3 turbo with ADAS is going to be 20 lacs OTR. Hector Sharp CVT is going to be 21.5 lacs OTR. This less than 10% extra gives you much bigger car and more usable features such as front ventilated seats and auto dimming IRVM.

Couple of dear members (and many more I'm sure) who are in the same dilemma have valid reasons to be confused. My suggestion would be to get yourself the Hector if, (A) your budget allows (B) CVT suits your driving style (C) you are okay with single digit average from this mountain of a car.

We are planning to TD Hector CVT in a day or two. Will take the call accordingly.

Good bless competition .

@manpreetsj - I say go for the Hector now. The OTR prices of the facelift should be more than 1 lakh which might not make a lot if sense. At 21.5 OTR, it's a terrific value for money proposition.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 17th October 2021 at 00:01.
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks