Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2022, 09:27   #1141

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Does the Astor gets wireless phone connectivity?
Nope, you only have wired Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
pranji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 12:11   #1142

Got delivery of Astor (6AT Savy) on the 21st of January.

MG Astor Review-20220121_190818.jpg

We had initially booked for the Sharp variant (6AT, Silver), but we had informed our SA to inform us of any model that would be available to us immediately. Luckily for us, someone canceled their booking and the SA called us with the news that a white 6AT Savy variant was available immediately.

I requested the SA to arrange for a PDI and he promptly set up an appointment for the next day. In the meantime, we were also required to select any accessories that needed to be fitted. Our accessory list was very short (nothing chrome). The next day I did a quick PDI (thanks to the Team-Bhp checklist), okayed the vehicle, and finished the downpayment. The vehicle was ready with all accessories fit by evening and ready for delivery. The whole process was handled very smoothly and professionally. Big shoutout to Mr. Pradeep and Mr. Sohail at MG Gachibowli for taking care of all the niggles and sorting it out in a timely manner.

The car has run around 300kms in the last 10 days and I'm getting mileage of 12.5 kmpl. No complaints with the car other than the highly irritating speed breaker warnings that keep popping up from time to time.
We are due for a huge 2000+kms road trip next week, so will be giving the car for the first service ahead of it and update this thread after the long trip.
skendora is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 16:18   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandAndy View Post
I got a call today from the MG dealership asking to make the full payment in advance (even before the PDI). He says that the car will the stockyard in a couple of days. And then you can do the PDI and if all goes well we can do registration and we can get the car.
Below are the updates on my experience (pre-registration and insurance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Generic pressure tactics from salespeople, do not yield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
Dealer is trying to reduce his cash flow. No need to pay a penny before the PDI. It's your car and nothing to worry about it. Ask for VIN and do the PDI before making any payment.

Further, you can take insurance from outside, and it is cheaper by around 19- 20k. They can't say no, but try to scare you off. Stick to your stand and get the delivery of your car mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranji View Post
I believe the Insurance has to be in place before the Registration is done. The Insurance is one of the details that has to be provided.
First of all, Thank you to @Transmission, @K.grg, @pranji for all the inputs on my earlier post

I did not give in to the salesperson's request. I did the PDI (before registration) first and then only made the full payment (without insurance from MG). I bought insurance from TATA AIG for SAPPHIRE ++ plan for 44.5k and saved almost 27k when compared with quote from MG.

The reason for all the hurry was that the dealership wanted to create an invoice before 31 Jan, 2022. Dealership manager informed that manufacturers won't allocate new cars to dealership until some X amount of invoices are generated for that month. (Although I did not budge for any reason)

The pre-registration PDI was scheduled for Sunday in MG Nashik showroom (They brought the vehicle from Nashik stockyard to showroom, just for PDI. The vehicle was earlier recieved to the stockyard on saturday)

The PDI went smooth. (Thanks for all the help from the teamBHP PDI threads). I received the car which was manufactured in Jan 2022 (Ninth & tenth digits of the VIN/chasis number were 'A' & '5'). No visible scraches/dents were to be seen. I did observe some white glue like material (Manager confirmed it was the outer protector which was used during travel from manufacturer to stockyard and that the car would be cleaned overall). No visible issues in all the doors/inside bonnet/inside boot/etc. All of the tyres except the spare wheel was from Continental. Spare was from Apollo. Although, I could not find the manufacturing date for the tyres. Can somebody help on this? Attaching the photos of Continental and Apollo tyres.

After getting satisfied on the PDI and clicking lots of photos of various things, I gave my approval for the car. (Almost forgot - the odometer reading was 22 km)

Next day, I made the full car payment without insurance and researched for insurance from various insurers and finalised on TATA AIG (partial reason for this was that MG had cashless tie up with TATA AIG and parents were not willing to try new insurers - read ACKO). I'm attaching the quote which I received so that it might be useful for others to bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakmah07 View Post
Hi All,
Also, I think I am going to opt for outside insurance, can anyone suggest it? Currently, I have taken quotations only from Acko.
@prakmah07, I've taken the insurance as above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Took insurance from outside, which was almost Rs 20,000 cheaper. Tata AIG.
Thanks @sidban85, I used this to bargain and received almost 27k cheaper for my model.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-whatsapp-image-20220130-8.59.46-pm-5.jpeg  

MG Astor Review-whatsapp-image-20220130-8.59.47-pm-1.jpeg  

MG Astor Review-tataaigpremium-computation-worksheetteambhp.jpg  

AnandAndy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 17:34   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Although, I could not find the manufacturing date for the tyres. Can somebody help on this? Attaching the photos of Continental and Apollo tyres.
Continental seems to be Dec'21 manufactured. (From the code 4821 meaning 48th week of year 2021)
Apollo should have similar 4 digital number. Please check. May be in the other side of the tyre.

Last edited by Vizay : 1st February 2022 at 17:35. Reason: additional info
Vizay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 19:52   #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Got my Astor Savvy Turbo delivered in Bangalore 1 week back.

Took insurance from outside, which was almost Rs 20,000 cheaper. Tata AIG.

Mixed delivery experience. The insurance team kept stalling from giving a better quote which delayed the registration. The showroom staff are not yet trained fully as they did not know the accessories that I already paid for.

They were always courteous. No extra charges e.g. logistics, etc. And finally, not too much scare mongering about outside insurance.

I have driven less than 100km till now. Coming from Skoda Rapid diesel DSG, the shifts are slower but cabin is more silent.
Hi,
I also enquired about the Tata AIG insurance after reading from a number of posts here. The insurance difference is almost near to 15k and Tata AIG mentioned that they have a tie-up with MG. When I contacted the showroom to match the quotation if possible he straight away declined and told me that Tata AIG is not one of their partnered brands. Also asked to submit an undertaking that MG won't be responsible for in case of a future claim, I will have to deal directly with Tata AIG to get it resolved.
This got me very confused, on one hand, the insurance company (Tata AIG) is saying that they have a tie-up with MG, on the other hand, the other company (MG) is saying that the insurance company(Tata AIG) is not their partnered brand. Does anyone else have also submitted a similar kind of undertaking to MG if we are going with Tata AIG insurance?
Please suggest what to do.
prakmah07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 23:18   #1146

Quote:
Hi
I think you should write to mg pulsehub email id and ask them in writing that they do not honour insurance from Tata AIG. These days many consumers are becoming aware of the high insurance prices quoted by the dealers and it would be eating a bit into their profits. But if you ask it in writing, i think they would allow it amicably.
Old 4th February 2022, 23:48   #1147
BHPian

Below are some videos I made demonstrating the connected car features using the MG iSmart app. What is cool is the ability to plan your trips while at home on your phone and then send the trip plan over to the inbuilt navigation. So that way you are ready to go.

Akhilesh Rai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 00:20   #1148
BHPian

MG Astor and Adas - A closer look

We took delivery of our MG Astor CVT Savvy model in white in December 2021. Since then the car has done close to 1000kms.

Below are some things I like:
1. The interior quality, materials and fit and finish is top notch. Close to the German counterparts.
2. The panaromic sun roof is huge and opens up quite a bit.
3. The car can be started remotely and cooled by the time you get to the car.
4. The noise insulation is extremely good. Hardly any road noise makes into the cabin.
5. The doors make a confident thud while closing.
6. ADAS - ACC + LKA works surprisingly well in Indian conditions.The system does have some limitations, but knowing these one can drive confidently.
7. The 360 degree camera is just brilliant. When taking U turns it automatically turns on, thus showing you the edge of the footpath.

Here are some things I dislike.
1. The voice assistant called Astor is a pure gimmick. Doesn't work half the time. Everything else about the car feels so premium but if someone were to use the voice assistant, they might draw negative conclusions about the car as a whole, as it is quite a central feature.
2. The compulsory purchase of 30k worth of accessories is an absolute waste.
3. The CVT has some lag at certain situations, but one gets used to it soon enough.

Below are some videos from my YouTube channel.
1. ACC + LKA on a National Highway

2. ACC on state highways

3. Walkaround

4. Connected car features - 1

5. Connected car features - 2

Finally some parting shots.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-20220119_163522.jpg  

MG Astor Review-20211222_165204.jpg  

Akhilesh Rai is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 12:39   #1149
BHPian

Please check on Tata AIG website for list of cashless garages. I checked and found Jubilant Bangalore and so, went ahead with Tata AIG.

For me, the MG showroom team were more lazy than malicious. They refused to match outside quote and after 2 days, asked me to take insurance from outside and share the details for registration process.

Try escalating to Pulse Hub if they insist on such mails.
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 09:31   #1150
BHPian

I took quote from TATA AIG and ICICI Lombard(Dealer). Difference was 13k but went ahead with dealer as cudnt find tie ups in Delhi and being a new product wanted to play safe in the first year.
Old 7th February 2022, 00:06   #1151

I drove the car 3 hours back (Astor Sharp CVT variant). Noticed some liquid leak beneath the car front side (between the front doors). Since it was night time couldn't figure out what kind of liquid was it. I could only confirm that it was odorless.

Is there anything to be worried about?

Thanks.
Old 7th February 2022, 07:51   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish.biyani View Post
I drove the car 3 hours back (Astor Sharp CVT variant). Noticed some liquid leak beneath the car front side (between the front doors). Since it was night time couldn't figure out what kind of liquid was it. I could only confirm that it was odorless.

Is there anything to be worried about?

Thanks.
It must be the AC condensation water dripping out. The drain is usually goes down somewhere around the engine bay.
Old 7th February 2022, 16:19   #1153
BHPian

Re: MG Astor and Adas - A closer look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilesh Rai View Post
We took delivery of our MG Astor CVT Savvy model in white in December 2021. Since then the car has done close to 1000kms.
Hello Akhilesh... First of all, heartiest congratulations on buying the MG Astor. I have few doubts regarding this car. Hope you help me get answers to my questions.

• How is the CVT gearbox in regards to smoothness and shifting?
  • I did a test drive of the Astor 1.5 MT but felt it very underpowered even after me being used to WagonR 1.0 K-Series for roughly 2 years. Like, I upshifted the car in 5th gear at 60kmph and pressed the accelerator pedal to the metal but the car didn't pull at all. How's the performance in the CVT?
  • I have heard from multiple reviews and reports that the Astor yields less fuel efficiency as compared to it's competitors. What kind of figures are you observing in the city and on the highways?
  • At what RPM does the engine cruises at speeds like 60kmph, 100kmph and 120kmph?
  • How's the AC performance? Like, is it a chiller unit or a mediocre one...

Finally, what would you suggest me to buy between the Honda City ZX CVT or the MG Astor Sharp CVT? I know, these both cars belongs to entirely opposite body designs but still, I have liked both the cars. Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Pedalmasher_20 : 7th February 2022 at 16:20.
Pedalmasher_20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 13:34   #1154
BHPian

Took delivery of CVT 1.5 savvy spiced orange car. Drove 270 km most within city limits in kolkata. Considering kolkata traffic the car is giving average of 11-12 km pet ltr. The car is a pleasure to drive in city roads. Further review will post after long distant travel.
kashd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 00:12   #1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBlo View Post
I bought a TPH cover (supreme variant). It seems like a good fit and good quality. They allow you to customize color combinations.
Attachment 2244155
Hello @JoBlo, could you please share how did you buy this TPH cover for astor? Was it online or offline? If online, could you please share the link?
I brought the car cover from MG but this cover is very tight for MG Astor AT Savvy. I think this cover might make more damage than protect this car. Do not take MG provided cover for this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBlo View Post
Another video with how it actually creaks on its own while driving
Also, I'm not hearing this sound in my car. Maybe I'll add some video next time. Currently, I've covered just 300km.

Quote:
Quick question to the owners - Under ADAS Forward Collision Warning I wanted to switch of Emergency Braking and only enable Warning. But after I switch it to Warning Only, it switches back to Emergency Braking. Has anyone else faced this?
Hello @pranji, I was able to switch to Emergency braking from Off and to warning only from emergency braking. No issues observed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishankbhan View Post
Haha. I can vouch to be the another "Astor" owner. Hopefully this gets resolved by MG. Amazing review Vinay. This will definitely be helpful for all future Astor owners.
@dishankbhan, I too was able to see this in my car. Did you hear any more updates on this?

Quote:
Hi All,

A query - I noticed today that while driving my Astor, the songs playing on the Infotainment unit kept pausing every 20 or so secs and then resuming. This happened if I played FM or the in built Jio Saavn app or Prime music via Apple Carplay. I called up MG Assistance and they asked me to restart the unit which I did but I still face this issue. Just wanted to check if anyone else has faced this.
Hello @pranji, I've observed similar kind of behaviour. I've observed that sometimes when I'm playing songs via JioSavan, its stops in between(abruptly) and FM starts immediately. Although I did not observe any delay in starting FM.

Quote:
Does anyone else have also submitted a similar kind of undertaking to MG if we are going with Tata AIG insurance?
Hello @prakmah07, This is definately some pressure tactics. I've faced issue while taking insurance as mentioned in the below post. But I've confirmed with the MG nashik showroom and they did mention that MG has tie-up with TATA AIG, Digit and some other third insurance vendor.

Quote:
Below are the updates on my experience (pre-registration and insurance)
Update on the PDI and delivery experience:
The vehicle was ready with RTO registration within 4-5 days of making the full payment. Got the delivery after 3 months of booking date.

The delivery was smooth and satisfactory.
1. Visited the showroom on the pre-decided date in the afternoon.
2. Verified all of the documents, various serial numbers, amounts, etc before signing on the papers.
3. Did some basic PDI and not deatailed.
4. The car revealing, car pooja and other things went as expected.

After bringing the car home, I was doing a detailed PDI. (I should have done this only, but the the excitement of buying the car took hold of us - we were almost 5-7 people)

Following are my observations until now
1. Left rear fog lamp is not lighting. (right one works fine). I'm planning on informing the showroom/service center and get this fixed during first service. Any more things should I follow on this?

2. A small round circle (seems like its broken but its constant on both the tail lamps) just above the dark marron shade is seen on both the tail lamps. It cannot be broken/some issue because the location and shape is constant on both the tail lamps. Any idea on what is this?
MG Astor Review-lefttaillamp.jpeg
MG Astor Review-righttaillamp.jpeg

3. In the engine bay, the positive charge wire is covered(has special cover) but the negative is not. Is this seen in other owners? Is this expected?
MG Astor Review-batteryphoto1.jpeg
MG Astor Review-batteryphoto2.jpeg

4. Some white patch seen on front right wheel arch. Tried to clean it with water and cloth. What this could be?
MG Astor Review-frontrightwheelarch.jpeg

5. The gap between the side and the rear panels widens as it goes from bottom to top. This is seen on both sides of the car. Is this also seen for other car owners?
MG Astor Review-leftrearsidephoto.jpeg
MG Astor Review-rightrearsidephoto.jpeg
AnandAndy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks