Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 08:13   #1156
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Mod Note : Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules and Forum Etiquettes before proceeding any further.

Getting delivery of Astor Style tomorrow. Seek choice/ suggestions on alloys. Should I opt for OE design or aftermarket like Neo/ Plati. In case OE then which model should I prefer?
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20220209080738_whatsapp.jpg  

MG Astor Review-screenshot_20220209080752_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 9th February 2022 at 11:11. Reason: Mod note attached.
Gearup_1111 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 19:43   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post
Getting delivery of Astor Style tomorrow. Seek choice/ suggestions on alloys. Should I opt for OE design or aftermarket like Neo/ Plati. In case OE then which model should I prefer?
The alloys on turbo Astor look premium and sporty, what price did the dealer quote for the rims?
vagman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 20:13   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagman View Post
The alloys on turbo Astor look premium and sporty, what price did the dealer quote for the rims?
Dealer quoted 7500 per rim plus 800 for hub cap. So net 33200 approx.

However stock not available so will come on order.
Gearup_1111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 20:42   #1159

Quote:
Hello @pranji, I was able to switch to Emergency braking from Off and to warning only from emergency braking. No issues observed here.
Let me try that again and see if I have the same issue. Didn't try after that. I have to say that I experienced pedestrian emergency braking. A guy jumped in front of my car while coming down a flyover and the car braked on its own. Thank god the vehicle behind had seen the guy and brakes as well and did not crash into me!

Quote:
Hello @pranji, I've observed similar kind of behaviour. I've observed that sometimes when I'm playing songs via JioSavan, its stops in between(abruptly) and FM starts immediately. Although I did not observe any delay in starting FM.
So for me the main issue is that at times the music blanked out like it was being paused. This happens for FM, Apple Carplay and Jio Saavn. I raised this with my SA during my first service. He told me that this is because of the navigation comments that comes from the Infotainment unit. The workaround he told me was that I can change the navigation commands language to Hindi in the MMI app. And sure enough once I do that, I don't face any issue in the music. The only problem is that I have to do it every time I start the car.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th February 2022 at 20:45. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
pranji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 23:01   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post
Did you find out what's the wheel PCD?
Old 10th February 2022, 22:24   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Did you find out what's the wheel PCD?
Did not check PCD as decided to go for OE alloys.
Old 13th February 2022, 14:52   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandAndy View Post
Left rear fog lamp is not lighting. (right one works fine). I'm planning on informing the showroom/service center and get this fixed during first service. In the engine bay, the positive charge wire is covered(has special cover) but the negative is not. Is this seen in other owners? Is this expected?
MG follows Volkswagen and other German cars in rear fog lamp design. Only one fog lamp works at rear. Nothing to worry about. The positive terminal is the only one covered as that is needed to prevent any accidental short circuit. It is normal. Enjoy your lovely vehicle!
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 19:23   #1163
BHPian

I took TD of MG Astor 1.5 CVT sometime back and found couple of issues
  • CVT was very sluggish and it struggled to cross 100. How was the Turbo engine?
  • Back seat was very slippery. We found it was slopped down, so we kept slipping for every break. Also there was no under thigh support at all. Is this the case with everyone?
  • Sunroof was covered by thin cloth? How was the cooling during noon or hot days?
  • How was the service and spare parts availability outside of service centers?
Can owners share your thoughts on this.
Old 15th February 2022, 11:52   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
I took TD of MG Astor 1.5 CVT sometime back and found couple of issues
  • CVT was very sluggish and it struggled to cross 100. How was the Turbo engine?
  • Back seat was very slippery. We found it was slopped down, so we kept slipping for every break. Also there was no under thigh support at all. Is this the case with everyone?
  • Sunroof was covered by thin cloth? How was the cooling during noon or hot days?
  • How was the service and spare parts availability outside of service centers?
Can owners share your thoughts on this.
I am also in the market for a new car. Very recently (this Sunday itself) I took the test drive of Astor (both CVT and Turbo AT). I agree with you that CVT is very sluggish and is suitable only for relaxed driving. On the other hand the Turbo AT was good. The engine and gearbox felt very responsive. But the gearbox was slow in downshifting if you require to overtake other vehicle.

The fabric of the sunroof liner is indeed very thin. I took the test drive on a sunny afternoon and felt that a lot of light was passing through the roof. In fact the light was a little too much for my liking and comfort. Although I did not consider it before but it was sort of a dealbreaker for me.

I also test drove the Seltos, Taigun and Kushaq within a span of 2 days and found the Seltos to be better equipped. The drive quality of Seltos was also very good.

For your reference I drive a Vento Tsi 1.2 with DSG since last 6 years and my observations are related to my experience with the Vento.
shekjsk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 17:29   #1165
BHPian

Re: MG Astor and Adas - A closer look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
Hello Akhilesh... First of all, heartiest congratulations on buying the MG Astor. I have few doubts regarding this car. Hope you help me get answers to my questions.

• How is the CVT gearbox in regards to smoothness and shifting?
  • I did a test drive of the Astor 1.5 MT but felt it very underpowered even after me being used to WagonR 1.0 K-Series for roughly 2 years. Like, I upshifted the car in 5th gear at 60kmph and pressed the accelerator pedal to the metal but the car didn't pull at all. How's the performance in the CVT?
  • I have heard from multiple reviews and reports that the Astor yields less fuel efficiency as compared to it's competitors. What kind of figures are you observing in the city and on the highways?
  • At what RPM does the engine cruises at speeds like 60kmph, 100kmph and 120kmph?
  • How's the AC performance? Like, is it a chiller unit or a mediocre one...

Finally, what would you suggest me to buy between the Honda City ZX CVT or the MG Astor Sharp CVT? I know, these both cars belongs to entirely opposite body designs but still, I have liked both the cars. Thanks in advance...
CVT is definitely for those who have a light foot. Those who enjoy spirited driving should go for the AT. That said, the CVT is refined at relaxed driving, highway cruising and there is no feeling of lack of power whatsoever. The only time you realize that it's a CVT is when you demand sudden boost of acceleration, it makes the engine revv up and then you get your boost after may be 1sec or so. But again this is how CVTs work and may be there is room for slight tuning here by MG but that's it.

I don't thing the Astor, be it any power train is underpowered, especially if you are comparing to a Wagon R. It just may be different gearing that you might need to get used to.

Yes, the fuel efficiency is something of on the lower side. It ranges between 8 and 12kpl.

Sorry I haven't really checked the RPM to speed mapping.

No complaints about the AC. Does it's job.

I'd say go for the MG Astor as it's a much newer car with more features.
Also MG should gradually become a strong brand in India looking at the slew of launches they have planned.
City already looks so outdated and the interiors are boring. End of the day, that's where most of your time is spent, and having great looking and functional interiors takes your experience to whole new level.
Akhilesh Rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 20:42   #1166

Finally took delivery of my Astor AT Sharp in Noida. This is the top trim without the ADAS features.

Overall delivery experience was good. They do try and create a festive atmosphere with unveiling of the car, cake cutting, music etc but there was a bit of delay on the showroom probably due to the large number of deliveries they had that day (When you have waited for months, you can wait a couple of hours more I guess).

Accessories I took: 3D mats, Sun Share, Wind Deflectors, skid plates, Side Step and screen guard. Surprisingly they had basic stuff like mud flaps out of stock and i will have to go in again to get those installed...Maybe on first service. I am also thinking of getting the door edge guards installed.

Rest of the accessories were mainly those chrome ones and I personally do not like Chrome.

So far, I am super impressed with the car. It definitely feels premium, there are no vibrations (A lot of times you don't even realize if the engine is idling), absolutely no road noise due to the tires and very smooth gear changes. I have seen in reviews that it takes time to downshift while overtaking but I am yet to experience the same. Maybe will feel this on a highway drive but for City it is just perfect.

Kid is super happy with the sunroof and better half is okay with the music system. It does sound better if you use manual equalizers and adjust it to your liking.

Well so far so good. Will post more as I drive and discover more...Adios

MG Astor Review-inked20220212_150554_li.jpg

MG Astor Review-inked20220212_150604_li.jpg
ashutoshjoshi00 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:24   #1167
BHPian

Can any Astor owners please help here with the real world fuel efficiency that you are getting? Liking all aspects of the Astor but really stuck on whether this is going to be a fuel efficient car or not. I know it eventually depends on an individual's driving style but would like to know a range you have got till now
rahil_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 21:23   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahil_29 View Post
Can any Astor owners please help here with the real world fuel efficiency that you are getting? Liking all aspects of the Astor but really stuck on whether this is going to be a fuel efficient car or not. I know it eventually depends on an individual's driving style but would like to know a range you have got till now
It is really surprising to see a NA engine, in MG, consumes petrol similar to larger turbocharged engines. And it is disappointing to see the Astor 1.5 giving low mileage.

In highway driving getting 16 + isn't an issue, while in normal city driving you get between 9 to 11. But in bumper to bumper traffic, with shorter travelling distance, you won't get more than 7 - 9. These numbers are based on just 400 odd KMs drive in total.
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 22:14   #1169
BHPian

MG cars have been in India for quite a few years now. How does their cars score on:
1. Reliability (break down, part failure, etc)
2. Durability (fading paint, cracked plastics, rusting metal parts, loose and rattling components, etc)
3. Safety (NCAP score)
Old 18th February 2022, 12:45   #1170
BHPian

MG Astor real world review from Autocar

rahil_29 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed