Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 13:30   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Is this Tata's psychological move to to prevent the Punch from cannibalising its brethren (Altroz and Nexon)?
They are probably aiming to sell the Mid-variant in maximum numbers.

Or

Maybe they want to limit people to Lower variants because of the Chip shortage?
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:46   #182
BHPian

Am sure there is some method behind this pricing. Maybe they know they are losing customers who need an automatic and are willing to pay 8-9L. Altroz automatic (if it is ever launched) would be >10L.

So they probably aren't so worried about Renault/Nissan and instead want to give customers the option of a safe car on the same platform as Altroz but with an AMT and better ground clearance...etc. Things that they might be hearing on the ground. And this slots in well if you consider where a fully loaded AMT/CVT for Altroz would come in.

If only they had a proper turbo mill under the hood, this pricing would be a no brainer for us to understand.
smoes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:47   #183

Absurd pricing I would say. Tata should understand that nowadays people don't just blindly buy the car. They have access to lots of details available over internet about the product. There are tons of reviews available online which talk about the lame engine Tata has offered in this car and on top of that this kind of insane pricing for top variants will really kill this product. The comparison shown by our fellow BHPian in post # 180 says it all.
I personally feel that whatever hype Tata has created till now with this product is going to get diluted because of this pricing.
Old 18th October 2021, 13:47   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I think Tata has priced this car taking cues from MS-Ignis pricing. Cheaper entry level variants and gets costlier for top variants. Let's wait and watch Punch and Ignis sale trend.
To give you some perspective on the pricing, I got my Ignis base model for 5.33 on road Kannur, Kerala. 4.95 lakh was the ex showroom price when I bught it in August this year.
sole_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:48   #185
BHPian

I agree with the comments here. Punch definitely seems overpriced.

Magnite XV Turbo CVT (9.01 Lakhs) vs Tata Punch Creative AMT (9.09 Lakhs)

https://www.carwale.com/compare-cars...8845&source=17

Magnite
1. Turbo engine with approx 15 bhp, 40 Nm more.
2. Longer (17 cms) and wider (2 cms)
3. Better ground clearance
4. Better safety (Brake assist, ESP, Hill hold, Traction control)
5. 4 Star ASEAN NCAP rating
6. Option of adding tech pack
7. 60:40 rear seat split
8. Better Space

Punch
1. Slightly better interiors?
2. Cruise control
3. Rain sensing wipers
4. Projector Auto headlamps
5. LED taillamps
6. Drive modes including Traction pro mode
7. 5 Star GNCAP rating.

Many assume GNCAP 5 Star is better than 4 Star ASEAN NCAP, This is is not true. ASEAN NCAP has additional parameters for rating criteria which includes Safety assist (Crash avoidance tech such as ESP) and Pedestrain safety on top of Adult and child crash parameters of GNCAP. I would consider Magnite as Safer car as it has ESP, Hill hold, Brake assist and Traction control on top of a decent crash rating.

For the ones who prefer Tata over Nissan I would suggest to go for Nexon XZ+ variant by increasing the budget by 1 Lakh which has ESP and better space overall.

Last edited by Godzilla : 18th October 2021 at 13:57.
Godzilla is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:49   #186
BHPian

For a new first time car buyer who was / is considering Punch, I was set on accomplished AMT version. If not this, what else can we consider as on carwale, I see for Mumbai, price is going to 9.24L which is a lot of money I feel.
Old 18th October 2021, 13:49   #187
BHPian

Well, may be I am amongst the minority here. But, I feel its priced well for what Tata may be looking at with this "punchy" offering. As well, playing too low can also influence the positioning- They may as well want to position it premium (for safety, iRA etc) over standard fare.
May be Kiger & Magnite aren't what Tata is pitching it straight against (but may still look for buyers who want to come here), but may be potential buyers finalizing i10 nios/ Aura (Prices match close with them), even Dzire. As well, good potential upgrade for Tiago users who may be 5 year old now. Remembering Steve Jobs- "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will". Being Micro SUV, their focus will remain on all those looking at top of the end Kwid, SPresso, Wagon R- with a premium of may be with 50K, they get a safer & premium "SUV". None will disagree that Punch 'looks' more SuV than SPresso and other tall boyish ones.

And of course, knowing Tata there will be some offers after a quarter to make indians like us, feel -"i have negotiated".

More than pricing, i feel it is key for Tata to ensure they hit it right with quality & hassle/niggle free early experience. I feel Tata has build its brand well over last few years to bring buyers to showroom (unlike 6-7 years back). They now need to ensure, ownership experience is enhanced.
murajith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:29   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post

And of course, knowing Tata there will be some offers after a quarter to make indians like us, feel -"i have negotiated".
Tata definitely has changed. Today, you get zero discounts on Altroz and Nexon. They have the demand and they know it.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:41   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Being Micro SUV, their focus will remain on all those looking at top of the end Kwid, SPresso, Wagon R- with a premium of may be with 50K, they get a safer & premium "SUV". None will disagree that Punch 'looks' more SuV than SPresso and other tall boyish ones.

More than pricing, i feel it is key for Tata to ensure they hit it right with quality & hassle/niggle free early experience. I feel Tata has build its brand well over last few years to bring buyers to showroom (unlike 6-7 years back). They now need to ensure, ownership experience is enhanced.
Before punch, I was considering Spresso top end AMT which I think is around 6L OTR In Mumbai. With the Accomplished, I guess price will be 8.84L or 9.24L (cardekho and carwale both showing different OTR). I am very well aware about 0 star of spresso. Now with this pricing, spresso is 3L less than Punch for me but then I miss out on many things like rear view camera, 5 star safety, additional speakers, fog lights and many things. Also height adjustment was something we need as wife liked that in punch.

Not sure if i should swallow my pride and get the Accomplished AMT. Have told the wasan motors SA to send me OTR once he gets (he told 20th he will get).
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:46   #190
BHPian

Wow those top end variants look overpriced for the engine they offer. Tata should have kept the pricing with reference to the Ignis and Magnite in mind(both superior engines). By paying 60k rupees more I get a smooth CVT with powerful engine in the Magnite. At 7.5 lakhs I get the smooth and proven 1.2, 4 cylinder mill in the Ignis and a superior sales, service and ownership experience. Suddenly Altroz diesel looks ultra VFM. The top end pricing with turbo petrol would have still been understandable, but that NA 1.2 just doesn't click at that price point on the punch. Frankly speaking, Tata could have just done away the Tigor and slot the Punch in its price bands, or else at least just keep both the products with a price overlap. So now we expect the Punch Turbo AMT top variant, whenever it comes, to cross the 10 lakh mark. Not a good time to get greedy Tata, especially for mid level products(5-10 lakh is the new 3-5 lakh range), you have the premium offerings for fatter margins! It seems Tata is so paranoid of cannibalizing the Nexon and Altroz that it just doomed Punch top variants at the launch through this pricing.

Last edited by ArTigor : 18th October 2021 at 14:53. Reason: spelling error
ArTigor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:02   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
ARAI claimed fuel efficiency figures for the Tata Punch have been revealed - 18.97kpl for the Manual and 18.82kpl for the AMT.

Link
A very old saying comes to my mind. A bad man is better than a bad name. Although gone, but my Ford Freestyle petrol titanium+(96 BHP & 113 NM of torque) has a better ARAI claimed fuel efficiency of 19.3 kmpl. In actual world conditions, over a trip of 1073 kilometers, driving at an average speed of 69 kilometers per hour, i got a fuel efficiency of 18.3kmpl.

Anyways, it would be sheer stupidity to talk about a company that has left people (employees (direct/indirect)/customers/business partners) in doldrum due to its own strategy. Let us welcome our home grown major presenting their offering to us with an open heart and move towards them. Good to see them offer some very good products which are offering tough competition to automakers from round the world.

This product with such a good pricing and feature seems to be a Brezza killer to me and would definitely be making some major dents in numbers of the market leader. Best of luck Tata!

Last edited by Eddy : 19th October 2021 at 23:00. Reason: Typo
su1978 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:12   #192
BHPian

I booked the Punch hoping this would be somewhere close to the Ignis price range (maybe 20-30k more). But from today's reveal I think I might cancel the booking. I could buy a Ignis zeta AMT for cheaper than the Punch adventure AMT. I will get double the feature almost the same cabin space and way better refined engine for less. The safety ratings and looks might be the only factors which are better.
Then I also have the option to go for Magnite which is a segment above Punch in most parameters. The engine is meh but the torque/power to weight ratios are pretty close to the Punch.

I won't lie I am disappointed by the pricing was hoping for lower prices atleast at launch. It will be a long discussion with the family before we decide what to do. Already extended family members have suggested not to go for the Punch.
Pramathyu is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:43   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I would consider Magnite as Safer car as it has ESP, Hill hold, Brake assist and Traction control on top of a decent crash rating.
As someone upgraded from Tigor AMT, I would say power is probably the most underrated passive safety. That 1.2 completely runs out of breath after 80km, forget other cars, I could hardly overtake gov bus doing 80 on single lane highway.

1L turbo Magnite anyday over the Punch

Last edited by giri1.8 : 18th October 2021 at 15:44.
giri1.8 is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:51   #194
BHPian

Gut punch by Tata. It's too expensive on the road. Yes, it is safe and all but the final hole in the wallet really matters, and we can have nicer cars for a million rupees!
lemedico is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 16:02   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the Punch today

With the elder brother Nexon

Tata Punch Review-20211018_150602.jpg

Tata Punch Review-20211018_150621.jpg

Positives

1. Ground clearance

2. Looks cute at certain angles

3. View from driver's seat - bonnet is visible and large greenhouse area

4. Ample space - Tata aces in space management. The car might look like ignis in size, but it is clearly more spacious that ignis. I am 6'2 and still I could sit behind in the rear seat with driver seat set to my driving position

5. 5* crash rating

Negatives

1. Looks ugly at some angles, resembling KUV100 and Spresso silhouette

Tata Punch Review-20211018_150546.jpg

2. Absolutely dull to drive. It felt even more sluggish than the Tiago. Kiger 1.0 turbo felt superb in comparison.

3. Mediocre fuel efficiency - the MID showed 12 kmpl even after driving pretty sedate for a long time

4. Interior plastics surely feel downgrade to Altroz/Nexon. There are very hard plastics everywhere and some feel outright cheap. Again, Kiger felt better.

Example the elbow rest at the rear(who decided to use white there!!)
Tata Punch Review-20211018_150800.jpg

And the grab handle above the front passenger door. Trust me, even Zest's grab handles feel much nicer
Tata Punch Review-20211018_151330.jpg

And a typical old bad habit of Tata, the wiper blade exposed to cabin

Tata Punch Review-20211018_152037.jpg

What's with the open slots on the front grille? Horn shows through it

Tata Punch Review-20211018_150928.jpg

Front doors felt heavier than rear doors.

5. Pricing - Less said the better. If you want ground clearance and AMT, increase your budget and get the nexon, even if it is the base variant. If you want a family car and don't care about GC, get the altroz.

Tata, when you demand 10 lakhs for the top trims, why not give a proper armrest, atleast for the driver?

This is what I saw in the service area
Tata Punch Review-20211018_150501.jpg

There are so many altrozes and Nexons in the service center. I went to rectify a minor issue with my Safari Storme V400. I am sure the sales people will make many Altroz/Nexon buyers to buy the Punch instead.

When you have a lot of footfall, why not use it to sell all products? They clearly do it.

One of the sales people even did the "SUV sir" justification when I asked about the high prices of Punch. I showed my storme and told him I am done driving SUVs. Lol.

But yes, there will be many people who will fall for the SUV tag.

PS : Red Tiago is such a looker

Tata Punch Review-20211018_150901.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th October 2021 at 16:28.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (60) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks