Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 22:32   #211
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
All these newer cars coming in - while not directly comparable in kit/capability/use-case - are showing how the Ignis actually was/is a good car!

All of a sudden the Ignis (which is a failed car in our market) seems quite practical and value for money. Its worth noting that even the Zeta variant of the Ignis, is very well kitted out. Even includes a rear wash+wipe & defogger in fact. Spend 20K on a good HID projector fog light setup & a good Android Head unit in it - and you are golden! I always liked the Ignis and continue to like it for its practicality and fun to drive + fiddle nature. Strangely it failed for its "looks" when even weirder looking cars like the WagonR, Venue, Magnite, Punch (even the Nexon perhaps) are acceptable in the same market!

+1

Add to that Ignis is one of the Maruti cars that doesn't feels like a Maruti. The interior is quite good and the variants were well balanced. In my 3 year old Ignis the white interior door panels parts are very easy to maintain and still shines like new after a simple wipe with proklear which many feared that will go yellowish . Although I had the budget one of the reason I bought the Ignis ditching the Baleno was the latter's built quality. Ignis is also a tad better here too.

I own a Ignis Zeta AMT and a Wagon R Vxi AMT and I love the Ignis except the bouncy suspension. No problems with AMT in both the cars so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
First time visiting this thread and a bit shocked to see bhp’ians who show high regards for safety all of a sudden push safety down the list (as nice to have) and bring up the pricing a very high priority. No wonder Maruti sells more cars, I do respect them for that. Every manufacturer has a price point to play and a customer base to serve.

Genuinely curious, did Tata earlier mention they are going to pitch it against Ignis? Or was it an assumption as usual by media given the size? And same with the pricing?
IMHO this car with 1.2 NA engine and the AMT gearbox doesn't justify on road price above 10.2 L. Why not buy a Magnite/Kiger instead?

Last edited by archat68 : 18th October 2021 at 22:38.
archat68 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:41   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
First time visiting this thread and a bit shocked to see bhp’ians who show high regards for safety all of a sudden push safety down the list (as nice to have) and bring up the pricing a very high priority. No wonder Maruti sells more cars, I do respect them for that. Every manufacturer has a price point to play and a customer base to serve.

Korean cars selling double this price could only achieve borderline 3 star rating and we are expecting Tata to give a 5 star rated product at Maruti’s hatchback price. They have their Tiago/Tigor for that isn’t it?

Genuinely curious, did Tata earlier mention they are going to pitch it against Ignis? Or was it an assumption as usual by media given the size? And same with the pricing?
Well you have people comparing the Punch top variants pricing (didn't see anyone complaining about the lower variants) with TATA's own Altroz top variants.

Also, it's not like the Magnite is unsafe (agreed you need to place your faith in the Nissan India when they said that the car sold in India is the same one that got 4 star in ASEAN NCAP which seems lot more stringent than GNCAP SaferforIndia program).

I am not sure if your concern holds up when you consider the above two cases.
JithinR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:56   #213
BHPian

See none of us is complaining about price . We are complaining about the final product being offered at that price point being not VFM.

Three cylinder NA engine with features are good at lower price levels but paying 10lakh and above when we have so many better and refined options around.

See the ten lakh is that price bracket which one if crosses wants to get in a package. The punch doesn't pack a punch here.
Wason4699 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 23:44   #214
AZT
BHPian

Tata has a good marketing team. They know how to create hype and get people to the showrooms, only AMT being offered here is the only complaint a person can have.
Old 19th October 2021, 00:37   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoes View Post
Am sure there is some method behind this pricing. Maybe they know they are losing customers who need an automatic and are willing to pay 8-9L.

Me, this was me. I was planning to sell off AStar and Nano as downpayment for top end AMT.

Not going to happen. I will save up some more and buy the automatic convertible Thar.
Mohitkumaar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 07:01   #216
BHPian

I resonate with the complaint that the Punch higher variants are overpriced. Tata Motors has reached a good position at No. 3 but they need to continue to be more aggressive to pressurise the No.2 Hyundai. The Tiago sold well as it was a lot of car for the price in 2016. That too with an engine that was well suited mostly for city driving. The real profit is to be made in the SUV segment which is the fastest growing. Looks like Tata Motors is getting greedy and are forgetting that market share also makes a huge difference in how the company is perceived by the consumer. Don't think Punch will sell very well. We might see good discounts as now they cannot reduce the price. The only option they have to correct the higher variants price is to plonk the iTurbo 1.2 L engine and not increase the price much!!!
Old 19th October 2021, 09:01   #217
BHPian

As surmised earlier, the media hype and the crash test rating have probably emboldened Tata to price the Punch the way they have, especially the higher variants.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5164504 (Do initial impressions & market feedback influence the launch price of a car?)

Lackadaisical approach of the Tata dealerships won't help matters further. I was at a Tata dealership(sub-dealer) the day Punch was unveiled. While they had no idea about the launch date or the pricing then, which was understandable, what shocked me the most was their approach. Browsing through the Tata Punch website I had discovered this-

Tata Punch Review-20211019_080756.jpg

Given that Altroz comes with a 5-speed MT, I was rather pleasantly surprised. On asking this with a SA, he coolly told me that since the PUNCH is an SUV, they have probably given a 6-speed box to it, Seriously!? Again when I asked the SA if brochures were available, he was left scratching his head and took him a while to take my contact number and I was told that the brochure will be sent to me via Whatsapp. In fact, I had also contacted the main dealership twice prior to my visit, enquiring about the Punch. Two weeks have passed since, forget brochure/pricelist, I haven't been contacted even once! At this juncture, let me also stress on another important point. The dealership in question is the sole dealership in my entire district, need I say anything more?

I really want the Punch to suceed and Tata in general. Present day Tata cars sport wonderful designs and Tata along with Mahindra are upping the game bigtime as far safety is concerned, commendable. However, leaving aside new product niggles and reliability issues, with this kind of approach from the dealerships, I really wonder how SAFE is it to buy a Tata car!?

Last edited by Emvi : 19th October 2021 at 09:04.
Emvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 09:19   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But yes, there will be many people who will fall for the SUV tag.
Keeping aside my various reservations for TML, have to say their design team has aced the public's perception of an "SUV".
Can't look at an Ignis and say "SUV" regardless of the claims by MSIL.

The selling point of this will be an SUV and a "baby Harrier" not just selling this but also hyping up the aspirational value of the Harrier and even the Nexon.
Building a successive lineup of "SUV"s like MSIL have for their cars, smart

Hope they sort out their SCs and dealership issues but with the sales they're going to rake in, unlikely.

Last edited by shancz : 19th October 2021 at 09:44. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 09:38   #219
BHPian

No doubt the top two variants of the Punch are overpriced, the Adventure variant with the Rhythm pack may turn out to be the best selling variant. However the real deal beaker for me is the absence of adjustable headrests for the rear seats , only the Creative variant gets them. The positive hype around the product seems to have swayed Tata Motors , this is definitely not a VFM product as was expected.
GLAD73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 09:42   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Keeping aside my various reservations for TML, have to say their design team has aced the public's perception of an "SUV".
Can't look at an Ignis and say "SUV" regardless of the claims by MSIL.
I second your thoughts. Punch looks more SUVish than its counterparts in the price segment it operates. It looks smashing, IMO.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 09:58   #221
BHPian

Okay. Say one is in the market for a CSUV. Not a sedan, not a hatch, but a CSUV alone.

They do not wish to buy from MS. They do not trust Nissan or Renault enough to purchase their vehicles.

The budget is around 10L on road for an automatic CSUV. Petrol is the choice of fuel.

If the budget is stretched a little, the only cars that fit this criteria are Punch, Nexon, and XUV 300.

Now, between Punch Creative AMT iRA, the Nexon XMA AMT S, and the XUV 300 W6 AMT NT, they may well choose the Punch, despite that engine. They are all AMT's. They are all safe (from a crash rating perspective).

I understand there are better auto tranny's available in that price range. I'm sure people who are okay with those vehicles may go for them.

If I was in the market for a new car with this budget, I would not.
Coyote is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:02   #222
BHPian

I have been confused and confused more between the Kiger and Magnite (RxT/XV, both NA's). When the Punch was revealed I thought well maybe this could clear my confusion and provide me a straightforward choice, but looking at the prices I am back into confusion. Considering my daily commute will be around 30kms, 80% of it on the highway (Hosur to Attibele), safety is high on my mind. But can I afford to pay so much more in the name of an extra star of safety?

Punch will find a small market for itself, just for its looks and baby-Harrier design. But this is probably not going to make it into many enthusiast garages, thanks to the engine and GB combo. Post #180 is an eye opener, more expensive that the top end Altroz Turbo? Ridiculous.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:42   #223
BHPian

Tata is trying to do a Creta with the Punch. See if they shed off their ‘cheaper’ tag and focus on value proposition and looks alone at a premium. Safety is a bonus.

If this works, it paves the way for a stronger bottomline, if not well they will have an average seller anyway.

Honestly I think they miscalculated . They may shed off their value for money tag and not get the bottomline they hoped for.. they still have some way to go before they get pricey and cocky..
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:45   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
I have been confused and confused more between the Kiger and Magnite (RxT/XV, both NA's). When the Punch was revealed I thought well maybe this could clear my confusion and provide me a straightforward choice, but looking at the prices I am back into confusion. Considering my daily commute will be around 30kms, 80% of it on the highway (Hosur to Attibele), safety is high on my mind. But can I afford to pay so much more in the name of an extra star of safety?
The Kiger and Magnite have not been GNCAP tested. The Magnite holds 4 stars at the ASEAN NCAP, and the Indian variant is supposedly the same one.

Why don't you test drive the vehicles on your shortlist for a set number of kilometres on that particular stretch, on Hosur Road, and then make your determination on how you / your family feel(s)?
Coyote is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:28   #225
BHPian

Tata clearly missed a big opportunity of a fight with the tallboys like Ignis and WagonR with over-equipping Punch. With this pricing, Punch will punch the face of Altroz and Nexon only.

Most Viewed