Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2021, 06:37   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Saw one on road this Diwali when I was out to visit an acquaintance. It does look taller than Brezza & Nexon, both of which have quite balanced look (size to height) IMO. But, definitely it's garnering interest & people are cross shopping with Altroz & Nexon. Sort of helping buyers with more options at showroom floor. Another acquaintance of mine was enquiring about these (not considering anything than Tata this time & has multiple cars at home).
Old 6th November 2021, 07:32   #347
Senior - BHPian

Saw 3 of these on Lakshmi pujan day already in Pune. The vehicle looks great and big. Much bigger than Ignis actually. I don't understand why there were some comparisons between this and Ignis. May be Ignis hides it's proportions. I'll like to know if someone here did a comparison of their own.
Old 6th November 2021, 07:51   #348
FHW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I'll like to know if someone here did a comparison of their own.
Attached image is for your reference.
Tata Punch Review-screenshot_20211106074515.png

Source

Last edited by FHW : 6th November 2021 at 07:53.
FHW is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 13:37   #349
BHPian

Finally taken delivery of Punch Creative MT today. Did not opt for any accessories from Showroom as they did not seem value for money.

Took the vehicle to Gurudwara for offering Ardas.

The story so far..

Made an unofficial booking of the Tata Punch on 15th Sept by a deposit of Rs 21000 at Chandrani TATA Asansol. I was the first one in the showroom to book Punch. My Sales advisor was Jay Prakash , a young and enthusiastic person who fondly answered any questions whenever they were asked. The process at dealership was smooth and I found Tata showroom experience at par with the ones I visited recently.

The variant and color was pending and come 18th October. I found all colors except Calypso Red. The Blue color was available but my heart was set on Red.

This is where Jay and his GM NITESH came into array. They had already billed a calypso red top model and I guess that it was on the way. I thought I would have my hands on it by Dhanteras but god had other plans. The trailer got delayed and reached the dealer yard on Dhanteras night, that meant I could not have had it.

I was also wary of taking delivery without doing PDI as per the Team BHP checklist. So the date of Sunday was finalized and after doing the PDI and making the full payment. Took delivery with my family.

Will post detailed review on some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Review-img_20211107_125204.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img_20211107_125206.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img_20211107_115437.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th November 2021 at 08:22. Reason: edited
Wason4699 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 18:51   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
[center][h2]

Driving the Tata Punch 1.2L Petrol AMT

However, the AMT is extremely jerky in heavy traffic conditions. The AMT does end up confused, which definitely won't be appreciated by enthusiasts. Main advantages of the AMT are cost (to Tata & the customer), fuel economy & that it can strapped onto any MT, making it an easy solution for manufacturers.
Somehow found the AMT I tested recently to have the exact opposite of that mentioned herein, the car had around 500 kms on the odd though.

There was minimal to no jerkiness or the head nod effect that is usually associated with the AMT GB. The suspension is much better than competition in that category.

My biggest concern is the lousy service associated with TATA cars, otherwise its a no brainer for the AMT IMHO
headers is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 09:38   #351
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch real-world fuel economy tested.

Quote:
In our city test cycle, the Punch manual achieved 10.3kpl, while the AMT managed 10.7kpl. On the highway, the manual achieved 16.1kpl and the AMT achieved 16.9kpl.
Quote:
Our tests were conducted in Eco mode during both city and highway runs.
Quote:
On the highway, the 1.2-litre motor needs to be worked more often to make quick overtakes and while cruising at 100kph in fifth gear, the engine is spinning at 3,000rpm.
Tata Punch Review-smartselect_20211109093811_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th November 2021 at 09:41.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:19   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2229984

Source
In my experience, the sweet spot on highway drives for this Engine + GB combo of Tata is to keep your car between 80-90 kmph. That should return even better figures as for this test they seem to have tried to be at 100 kmph.
red_nemesis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 20:18   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2229984

Source

The city figures are very dismal, for en engine of this size and power output. Is it the same with the Tiago/Tigor/Altroz petrols? Can owners comment? I will be in the market for a car around 9L OTR early next year and Punch would be one of the contenders along with the Magnite & Kiger. If this is the economy, it'll straightaway send me away from the Punch.
chaksjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 07:45   #354
BHPian

Fuel efficiency numbers look very off. Crv 2.4 AT gives me 8-9 in city and 10-11 on highway, and I'm not a sedate driver.

Celerio amr used to give 15-16 in Bangalore City. Punch should be on similar lines if tata hasn't screwed up
Old 11th November 2021, 15:30   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noufal.ps View Post
Fuel efficiency numbers look very off. Crv 2.4 AT gives me 8-9 in city and 10-11 on highway, and I'm not a sedate driver.

Celerio amr used to give 15-16 in Bangalore City. Punch should be on similar lines if tata hasn't screwed up
Celerio has 1.0 ltr engine and is a good 150-200kgs lighter. MSIL engines are in general more fuel efficient to begin with.

There will *always* exist a trade-off between mileage and safety. Getting the two together would be like having your cake and eating it too. We want heavy, reassuringly built cars with MSIL's FE. That's never happening and that's also why MSIL is never going away.

They'll always sell based on FE. They're only reaching ridiculous heights of FE with the new Celerio! Tata would do good to release CNG variants of its cars for the FE conscious.

Edit: I'm getting a similar FE (+10% on XP95) on my Polo TSI AT.
Guess I'm a happy camper of the turbo petrol engines.

Last edited by RoadMonkey : 11th November 2021 at 15:32.
RoadMonkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 16:24   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wason4699 View Post
Finally taken delivery of Punch Creative MT today.

l booking of the Tata Punch on 15th Sept by a deposit of Rs 21000 at Chandrani TATA Asansol. I was the first one in the showroom to book Punch. My Sales advisor was Jay Prakash , a young and enthusiastic person who fondly answered any questions whenever they were asked. The process at dealership was smooth and I found Tata showroom experience at par with the ones I visited recently.

This is where Jay and his GM NITESH came into array

I was also vary of taking delivery without doing PDI as per the Team BHP checklist. So the date of Sunday was finalized and after doing the PDI and making the full payment. Took delivery with my family.

Congratulations for your new Punch.
Planning to purchase a Punch for my parents who are living in Asansol presently. Holding on the purchase as I am sceptic about Tata's after sales service in general and specifically in Asansol.

Will be looking forward to your ownership and after sales experience before finalizing on the car.

Happy driving.
arighna.dutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 18:27   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Somehow found the AMT I tested recently to have the exact opposite of that mentioned herein, the car had around 500 kms on the odd though.
I've driven my Punch AMT for 700 kms now. The head nod can be avoided by releasing the accelerator at >2000 RPM when the gearbox changes gear while using the ACC sedately. If we do rev it too much there might be jerkiness and head nods.

Also what I noticed while I was cruising at 80kmph on 5th gear on the highway, I needed to over take a truck so I pushed the accelerator fully and the AMT geared down and gave the extra push which was needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
Got my Tata Punch delivered on 28th Oct

Adventure AMT Tropical Mist
Ex showroom 6.99l
On road 7.8l
59k RTO, 22k for Insurance (1+2)
I don't know why but the photos did not get attached in my previous post so here are a few.

1. Is of PDI and wash before the delivery
2. Car at dealership
3. The very essential card board key photo
4. Diwali outside the farm house
5. At the farm ( while returning from the farm my punch got punctured)
6. The puncture kit works like a charm. Though the tyres catch a lot of small stones in the treads.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Review-img_20211028_174741846.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img_20211028_190806624.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img_20211028_191708881.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img20211105wa0017.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img20211111wa0005.jpg  

Tata Punch Review-img_20211104_180132817.jpg  

Pramathyu is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 13:51   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
The puncture kit works like a charm.
Fellow Tata user here, did you actually have to use the supplied fluid to repair the puncture? Or was it a slow puncture that needed just a re-inflation?
Old 12th November 2021, 15:08   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
Fellow Tata user here, did you actually have to use the supplied fluid to repair the puncture? Or was it a slow puncture that needed just a re-inflation?
Hello sravan.
No I did not have to use the fluid it was a slow one indeed. I just refilled the tyres as the puncture repair shop was only 2 kms away from my farm house. I did refill once in the morning when the tyre was almost completely flat. It took around 2-3 mins for the device. The kit did help me save time and energy because I did not had to go through the ordeal of changing the tyres. Though I am not quite sure what I did is considered good practise or not.
Pramathyu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 10:11   #360
BHPian

Hello Team, Is any Punch owner planning to get engine guard fixed for their Punch. I initially though of trying out the Maruti Swift engine guard but it's points won't fit.

Most Viewed