Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 20:39   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Has Tata indicated as to when they will release the pricing?
Yes, Tata will be revealing the price for the Punch on October 20.

Source
Old 10th October 2021, 22:07   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Looking at this review, I think there should have been a shift in the product placement.
The Punch should have been the Nexon (with the turbo petrol)
Yes. The next generation Nexon will move up the food chain and be bigger, better and more competent. Remember Tata still doesn't have a Creta/Seltos rival and the present ALFA platform is flexible enough to be lengthened to more than 4m and be dressed up in a new upper body.

As a recap, Tata themselves did not envisage the Nexon would go in to be such a hit product. The Nexon is the last of the models to be built in the old Vista, ( Tata X-1), platform,( which was very soundly engineered and even package protected for Euro NCAP 4-star, because one of the intended markets for Vista was to have been the EU). The Nexon, alongwith the Zest & Bolt, were meant to be more of "stop-gap" products before the new platform, (Tata AMP - Advanced Modular Platform, a.k.a ALFA), came in.

Over the next few years I expect to see more platform rationalisation ar TML. The next generation Tiago, I'm sure will move to a short wheelbase version of ALFA. At present the Tiago and Tigor are both based on the old INDICA/INDIGO platform, [check out the identical wheelbases & the A,B,C pedal mounting locations in Tiago & Tigor, they even share the old Indica A,B,C pedals ]
I may be wrong in my crystal ball gazing efforts, but I feel the Tigor in sub 4m guise will be dropped and a Honda City rivalling sedan, around the 2550-2600mm wheelbase mark will see the light of day. Whether that will carry the Tigor nameplate is in the realms of conjecture, but I feel TML won't lose much brand recognition by dropping the Tigor nameplate.

Next logical extension of the ALFA architecture would be an Ertiga competitor, which possibly will see the light of day.
The Sierra project has a lot of fans inside TML but the dilemma is whether to base it on ALFA or a shortened Harrier platform, (because the old LR Freelander underpinning the Harrier/Safari supports inclusion of 4x4 hardware), which the ALFA does not, (more tuned to urban oriented products).

Yes, in a nutshell it's going to be interesting, keeping an eye on TML's future rollouts.

Let's see if our prophecy turns out to be correct!
arjab is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:20   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

First "punch" for the Tata Punch.

Happened between 2 Punches at a speed of 60 kmph due to sudden braking during the Punchathon drive at Lucknow, as per OP.

Front and rear ends are of 2 different Blue-coloured Punches.

Tata Punch Review-2.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th October 2021 at 22:26. Reason: clarified.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:02   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I really see the Punch as a good option for my parents ~ the dimensions are pretty compact, the build quality is good, seating comfort & boot space is good and driving position is high set which should help my mother feel comfortable when shifting from a Wagon-R. Really gonna give a look this time to change the Wagon-R so that I can reasonably feel safe when they take the car out.

Best wishes to TATA, but please, work on better engines and Gearboxes. PLEASE.
I have a similar requirement. Just that given so many poor Tata After sales service experiences (have a mild trailer of the same myself) floating around online, this could become a nightmare for older owners to deal with.

I really hope TATA focuses hard on fixing the after sales service scenario now more than anything else.

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 10th October 2021 at 23:27.
arighna.dutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

A relative went to the Tata dealer in Mumbai today to check out the Nexon EV. He was somewhat really impressed with the quality of the all the Tatas of this generation as compared to his ’10 Manza.
Upon enquiring with the SA about the pricing of the Nexon, the SA was kind enough to bring out the pricing for all cars and even let him know that the Punch would be placed between ₹6-9L.
Now that puts the Punch right in between the Tiago NRG and the Nexon (perfect pricing IMO). Allows for a bit of cross-shopping with other Tata products whilst ensuring there isn’t too much overlap.

For those who are saying that the Punch scoring 5* is a massive achievement, let me be somewhat of a bearer of bad news for you. As mentioned earlier by ron178, 2022 onwards the testing criteria would require a car to have ESC/ESP to score even a 3*. This would mean that this rating might give a stable-crash structure, but will only hold true for a few months at the max.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 00:40   #96
Kln
BHPian

What this car, and Tata in general, needs is a proper TC/CVT gearbox. This is the perfect car to bring down the overpriced Magnite/Kiger twns.
Old 11th October 2021, 00:53   #97
BHPian

I'm not a big fan of the Tata's Revotron Petrol engines but it's strange calling out Tata Punch for a weaker 1.2L NA engine as most engines for pre-BS6 premium hatchbacks was one of similar kind. Also from the videos posted on YouTube, it seem to be able to do 150-160kmph with some struggle but albeit gets there whereas even my Jazz (1.2L Petrol) has an engine constrained 140kmph speed limit.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 01:03   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
I believe this guy does TD professionally and has a 60k followers but I leave it to you to take down the link if you feel it disregards the rule.
3 things -

1. Followers does not equal responsible behaviour. Especially on social media. People do all kinds of stunts to gain followers.

2. This is most probably on a public expressway, not closed off to other traffic. Legally, I don’t know which expressway in the country has a 150+ kmph speed limit.

3. He is a BHPian.
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 01:33   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was at the Tata showroom today and the Punch does look a stunner in its category. I had read the initial review and didn't ask the sales guy anything about it, as I had specifically gone in for a TD of safari.

Coming back to the bashing on the 1.2L NA engine missing the Turbo and comments like it would struggle at 120km/hr on highway. Just watched this video on YouTube and I really want to see more reviews of the actual TD by Tbhpians.

Mods: I'm aware of the rule of TBhp not promoting rash and high speed driving or mention of the same. I believe this guy does TD professionally and has a 60k followers but I leave it to you to take down the link if you feel it disregards the rule.
Let's keep aside the speeding part and look at this objectively. A top speed video (or any video for that matter) does not indicate how tractable or versatile the torque curve and the power delivery characteristics of an engine are in the real world. It's as simple as that.

There are videos of a Chevrolet Spark doing 155 on an open expressway. I haven't taken my car anywhere close to those numbers but the one thing I can bet my life on, is that the video just made it look a lot more effortless than it was. Having owned the same thing for more than a year and having driven it for 3-4K km, I find the tractability and the overall power delivery characteristics of the engine below par. Even if it did a top speed of 180 kmhr, I genuinely couldn't have cared less.

What matters is real life performance and how effortless the engine is in delivering power, not a flat out run down a fairly open expressway while aiming for the top speed. The 1.2 has great bottom end torque from what reviews suggest, but it's quite obvious it is going to fall short as it approaches triple digit speeds. It's a given for this displacement and type of the engine, coupled to the weight of the car and there's nothing wrong in admitting it. Doing top speed runs is good for attracting views and bragging rights against competition (again, keeping the safety angle of this video aside), but I don't see any other point in this whatsoever. Period.

Last edited by vishy76 : 11th October 2021 at 01:35.
vishy76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 01:55   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Let's keep aside the speeding part and look at this objectively. A top speed video (or any video for that matter) does not indicate how tractable or versatile the torque curve and the power delivery characteristics of an engine are in the real world. It's as simple as that.

There are videos of a Chevrolet Spark doing 155 on an open expressway. I haven't taken my car anywhere close to those numbers but the one thing I can bet my life on, is that the video just made it look a lot more effortless than it was. Having owned the same thing for more than a year and having driven it for 3-4K km, I find the tractability and the overall power delivery characteristics of the engine below par. Even if it did a top speed of 180 kmhr, I genuinely couldn't have cared less.

What matters is real life performance and how effortless the engine is in delivering power, not a flat out run down a fairly open expressway while aiming for the top speed. The 1.2 has great bottom end torque from what reviews suggest, but it's quite obvious it is going to fall short as it approaches triple digit speeds. It's a given for this displacement and type of the engine, coupled to the weight of the car and there's nothing wrong in admitting it. Doing top speed runs is good for attracting views and bragging rights against competition (again, keeping the safety angle of this video aside), but I don't see any other point in this whatsoever. Period.
By looking at the video and the no.s doesn't mean anything but just looking at the car and engine figures tells you everything, without even driving it ?

I'm making a simple point, same as you, that I would want to see some real TD by Bhpians or get to TD the vehicle myself before I start writing about the performance or negative reviews.

If you can't see the simple point I made, then I rest my case here. And the usual '.' period is enough for me to understand your view.
Old 11th October 2021, 03:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
What this car, and Tata in general, needs is a proper TC/CVT gearbox.
Everyone has been crying out loud on this point since Nexon days but TATA just couldn’t get it. Even Altroz begs for that. With TATA trying to take Ford’s manufacturing plant, hope they can get their TC box as well that’s used in Figo/Ecosport. Would be awesome

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th October 2021 at 03:11.
Old 11th October 2021, 08:22   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenPai_GTi View Post
Yeah, that could be the slot, or it could be for a 12V socket, a USB charging and some weird shapes, their website shows a different picture of the pure interior. But if true, that's the worst place to put a radio slot, in terms of reach.
[/ATTACH]
Seems to be a lazy part from the graphics designers. This is the 1-din slot in the Pure variant.

The base variants of the Nexon and Altroz has a nice slim cubbyhole where the infotainment screen would be. In the Punch, it is just wasted space.
Tata Punch Review-screenshot_20211011075420.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
. Remember Tata still doesn't have a Creta/Seltos rival and the present ALFA platform is flexible enough to be lengthened to more than 4m and be dressed up in a new upper body...but I feel the Tigor in sub 4m guise will be dropped and a Honda City rivalling sedan, around the 2550-2600mm wheelbase mark will see the light of day...Next logical extension of the ALFA architecture would be an Ertiga competitor, which possibly will see the light of day...The Sierra project has a lot of fans inside TML,...Let's see if our prophecy turns out to be correct!
Yes, let's hope for. Problem is there isn't even rumours of the projects getting greenlighted, let alone seeing scoops.

The City rival/Altroz sedan should have been testing by now. Tata doesn't seem to have decided whether to use the Alfa or Omega platform for the Creta rival. And they seem to have decided their future will be hatchback/crossover only. No news of any proper 7 seaters. An Ertiga or Marazzo rival on the Alfa/Omega platform respectively would be awesome.

But the only things we are seeing on the horizon are the EV versions of the Punch and Altroz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
but the dilemma is whether to base it on ALFA or a shortened Harrier platform, (because the old LR Freelander underpinning the Harrier/Safari supports inclusion of 4x4 hardware)
Who? The same Tata who is waiting for customer feedback to introduce AWD in the Harrier/Safari? Fat chance. BTW, the Harrier platform is a reworked D8 platform. Used currently by the Discovery Sport, not the old Freelander one.

My worst dream is Tata launching a Creta rival. Keeping the A, B pillars body coloured, blackening the C, D pillars and naming it the Sierra!!!

Last edited by DicKy : 11th October 2021 at 08:25.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 09:22   #103
BHPian

Great review & cooked it on time by Team-BHP, which is commendable. In such a short time, this much in-depth review is really hard. Appreciated!

I would say, a simple reason why Tata is not plonking Turbo petrol in Punch is, it will eat Nexon's sales, which is TaMo's bread & butter these days. Nexon being high revenue, better profit margin product, Tata will try not to cannibalize it.
I am in TML's showroom. When I see Punch & Nexon side by side with similar engines, why would I go for Nexon shelling out 3-5 lakhs more?

Last edited by speedguy : 11th October 2021 at 09:24. Reason: Typo
speedguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 09:41   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm making a simple point, same as you, that I would want to see some real TD by Bhpians or get to TD the vehicle myself before I start writing about the performance or negative reviews.
If many media reviews mention that the engine is under-powered, then it is highly likely the car would struggle for overtakes in the single-lane highways and ghats. TML should have plonked their 1.5L diesel engine to combat this.

However, Punch is aimed at the urban population and their usage on flooded, broken city roads, and the power figures should not be a deterrent for many.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 12:46   #105
BHPian

I apologize in advance if this question is not relevant here.

I am a first time car buyer and strongly considering the Punch for my wife primarily. I live in Borivali (west), Mumbai. I have following 3 options to checkout the vehicle and book and other things...

Wasan Motors - Borivali (East)
Wasan Motors - Kandivali (West)
Puneet Motors - Malad (West)

Can anyone please suggest what we be my best go to place to get decent experience in terms of staff and such and possibly in future for service too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks