Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2021, 11:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Frankly I think 85 bhp is good enough especially since I believe this segment of Micro-SUVs are going to be the new "base" of the automarket in India, attracting a lot of first time buyers. I expect the Tata Punch to start with a Rs 5.29 lakh or 5.39 lakh pricetag for the entry-level version.

The car has been built to attract buyers who would have otherwise gone for a Wagon-R, Santro or even a Swift. It is to appeal to a set of buyers who aspire to own a car which looks a more butch than the "soft" hatchbacks as the primary USP.

The only issue I see is, that back seat legroom looks on the lesser side.

Last edited by avishar : 9th October 2021 at 11:59.
avishar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review and attention to detail as usual.
I belive this will sell like anything. Pricing is the main factor and Tata rarely goofs up on that. I also believe pricing is the main reason they might not have provided the turbo engine which I am sure we will see by mid of next year.

Don't think they will give diesel in this as even Altroz diesel has much lower sales compared to petrol. AMT is a downer but I know a lot of folks outside team bhp who don't care which gearbox it is, they just want an automatic. Even my cousin picked a Nexon petrol Amt last year and is quite happy with it.

Will check it out in couple of days.
Old 9th October 2021, 11:59   #33
BHPian

Faux-pass SUVs is a crowded market. Despite that, Tata has delivered a decent Punch. The launch strategy shouts of this being a (poor man's) lifestyle vehicle. The message from Tata might be - This car can do 75% of what a Thar can do at (hopefully) half the price.

Last edited by warrioraks : 9th October 2021 at 12:01.
warrioraks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:10   #34
BHPian

Good to see a lot of sharing of parts from the Nexon-Altroz bin. This will definitely help reliability. Hope to see more new cars from Tata in this segment using these parts.

About the engines, I can understand both GTO and Tata's logic. Tata may be feeling that offering a superior engine here may cannibalize the Nexon's sales. But gotta side with GTO on this front. Better to be cannibalized by one's own products than an outside brand.
batladanny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:20   #35
BHPian

I own a first gen Nexon and the interiors and parts are very clearly borrowed. Great that cheap-er products are getting access to parts from the medium - higher end cars.

The car looks a million bucks and based on the review creates a compelling value proposition if priced right. Things really looking up for Tata Motors though their future product pipeline sounds exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This car will easily add another couple of thousand sales to Tata's monthly tally & make it a strong 30,000 cars / month company.
Given this will be an entry level CSUV and south of INR 10 Lakh price (Assumption on my part, but looks like it), would you think this will just do 2K units per month. Or is this post cannibalization where Punch may do close to 5K units but will eat 3K units from Altroz and lower variants of the Nexon ?

We as a country value looks a lot and cars from non mainstream manufacturers (Nissan Magnite) are doing close to 2 - 3K based on looks and value prop, just wondering why a good looking car from a mainstream manufacturer would do less than average sales.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:30   #36
BHPian

This is probably the most predictable review about an all new car in recent times thanks to the familiarity about the TATA's strength and weaknesses in current era. And that's no bad thing. Punch is a car that will do really well in the market but its high time Tata brings on a proper automatic gearbox for its small cars (Beg, borrow, steal anything). And ofcourse a better 1.2 engine too. It would single handedly turn the fortunes of 4 different cars (Tiago, Punch, Altroz and Nexon) from being a strong seller to market leader.
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:42   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
Good to see a lot of sharing of parts from the Nexon-Altroz bin. This will definitely help reliability. Hope to see more new cars from Tata in this segment using these parts.

About the engines, I can understand both GTO and Tata's logic. Tata may be feeling that offering a superior engine here may cannibalize the Nexon's sales. But gotta side with GTO on this front. Better to be cannibalized by one's own products than an outside brand.
They can also strike a balance between the two. Like, they can keep the diesel exclusive to the Nexon. But a turbo petrol, even if in Altroz's tune, could've been offered here to keep the enthusiast happy. That one engine alone would've made a lot more people in this forum happy and consider the car. The cannibalisation in that scenario would've been minimal. Not many people are going to cross-shop between the Punch and Altroz.
Old 9th October 2021, 12:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

I just parked a Nexon Petrol AMT from my drive way into a parking lot. I must say there is no creep function and car doesn't move unless given the stick even in reverse. Where as my Honda moves of predictably when you lift the foot of the brake pedal either in D or in R. I'd never recommend an AMT to friends or family. What's so predictable with a CVT or torque converter needs some getting used to in an AMT.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 9th October 2021 at 12:57.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:54   #39

Off- Topic : since punch and altroz share the same engine , will it be possible to put Punch's engine cover on Altroz ? Altroz's engine bay is very roomy and the engine hasn't been provided with any sort of cover .
[quote=Omkar;5169343]

Driving the Tata Punch 1.2L Petrol MT

/QUOTE]
mazealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I just parked a Nexon Petrol AMT from my drive way into a parking lot. I must say there is no creep function and car doesn't move unless given the stick even in reverse. Where as my Honda moves of predictably when you lift the foot of the brake pedal either in D or in R. I'd never recommend an AMT to friends or family. What's so predictable with an CVT or torque converter needs some getting used to in an AMT.
Was the drivers door closed properly? Creep doesn't engage if the door is ajar. On another note,yes,tata AMT tuning is horrible ,especially in city. This was the sole reason for me to sell the car. Have now gone for an s presso. Yes safety is a concern ,but will only be used inside city where the peppy engine and better AMT is needed.
Nanolover is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 13:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Was the drivers door closed properly? Creep doesn't engage if the door is ajar. On another note,yes,tata AMT tuning is horrible ,especially in city. This was the sole reason for me to sell the car. Have now gone for an s presso. Yes safety is a concern ,but will only be used inside city where the peppy engine and better AMT is needed.
It was firmly shut, but the driving was rather unpredictable. I've driven the car even before came back with the same feeling of 'jerky' responses.
Old 9th October 2021, 13:01   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata eventually offered both the better engines in the Altroz. Hope it's the same with the Punch.
Exactly!

They did it with the Altroz. They will do the same with the punch. Let me tell what else they might do, that they already did with altroz

1. Add some features to the XZ+ variant - like one touch up too for the driver side window (now it gets one touch down only), better looking flat wipers, leatherette seats, express cool button etc

2. Delete some features from the actual VFM XZ variant - like the rear fog lamp, TFT instrument cluster, IRA etc

Altroz did not get IRA and leatherette seats when our official review was published. They silently did that later. Same will happen to punch.

Offering better engines later is a sly way of increasing the prices significantly, while their launch makes an impression that they have priced it at a great value.

Giving 1.2 N/A at a mouth watering base price can attract customers into the dealership.

Altroz is being marketed as a "starts from 5.5 lakhs ex showroom" car. But the top trim diesel exceeds 11 lakhs on road today. That is 200% increment over their base sticker price on ads.

Punch will start at a tempting base price too, knowing Tata.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th October 2021 at 13:17.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 13:12   #43
BHPian

That's a neatly compiled review of the punch. The design is phenomenal, as always with their new design language.

Tata Punch Review-capture2.jpg
I just have one issue, the interior of the base variant. If the pricing becomes competitive with the tall boy hatches(Wagon-r/Santro), many would consider shifting here. Tata not offering speakers or even a slot for a simple 1-din radio is beyond my understanding. Even my 2013 Nano CX had two front speakers and the radio slot. My dealer happily added the aftermarket 1-din Pioneer system for me. Now Tata has the additional "Rhythm" pack (costs 20-25k on the Altroz) gives 4 speakers, a 3.5" floating screen (which I agree looks better than the old 1 dins, but costly) and steering mounted controls (seems logical and convenient, but not sure how useful in this segment). Not sure how the additional cost is going to justify for a simple audio system, considering the segment (where even 10k matters a lot while deciding on accessories).

Otherwise, its worth noting how Tata has maintained that stance and those proportions with regards to its competition.
Looks beautiful even in the base variant. The gradually narrowing side windows and high position wraparound taillight assembly makes it even more SUVish.
Tata Punch Review-capture.jpg

Hyundai Casper (not yet launched): Its all about how the rear profile has been carried out. This can easily be mistaken as a Tall boy hatch (cannot blame anyone for this due to its smaller dimensions).
Tata Punch Review-hyundaicasperrevealedside.jpg

Mahindra KUV100 NXT: Well, I don't want to say anything here except that its a tad bit smaller than the Punch.
Tata Punch Review-leftsideview1.jpeg

Suzuki Ignis: Yes similar dimensions as the KUV 100nxt, but instead of going butch and overly SUVish, the company decided to go with the neutral look(which made it proportional and pleasing to look at from the front, can't say the same for the rear). But it still has a resemblance to its cousin, the Wagon-r.
Name:  MarutiSuzukiIgnisLeftSideView88236.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  35.8 KB

Maruti Suzuki Espresso: This design has seriously grown on me, love the looks of the grey shade with the aftermarket cladding. But it seems as if it is a segment below the punch. (Is there a segment below this ?)
Tata Punch Review-sidedesign.jpg

Suzuki Jimny (not yet launched): Ah yes, the thing that we've been waiting for. Come on Suzuki, give it to us already!!
It is a no nonsense off roader in 4X4 variant, hence the design language speaks a lot differently than any other vehicle in this segment.
Tata Punch Review-20453e0450a4a4b644701fb87d14345910404174.jpg

Overall, I feel that this is a very good proposition for anyone who is wishing to get the wagon-r CNG and drive the hell out of it on highways (the wagon-r CNG cannot reach 3-digit speeds but is still used by many for highway commutes everyday). With the petrol costs increasing day by day, I would just downgrade to the Punch, plonk in a CNG and be happy for the rest 10-15 years (if the car permits).

Last edited by SenPai_GTi : 9th October 2021 at 13:24.
SenPai_GTi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 13:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See, that's my point. Why offer just one? Why not ALL engines, and let the customer choose?

Tata eventually offered both the better engines in the Altroz. Hope it's the same with the Punch.
This gives me one thought - is Tata worried this would eat into the sales of Altroz by any chance if it’s given better engines? Just like how Toyota’s 2.8L diesel did with Crysta eating into sales of Fortuner, most likely Tata is being conservative / cautious / even concious to ensure their better car Altroz remains a better car compared to Punch? Just my thought

Last edited by gururajrv : 9th October 2021 at 13:27.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 13:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick look at the Performance Figures of the Tata Punch:
Source: ACI

0-60: 7.23s
0-100: 16.4s
0-100 (AMT): 18.3s
20-80 (3rd): 17.26s

Forget the Celerio, and the Ignis.
In flat out acceleration, it is comparable to the Alto 800cc.
And in roll-on acceleration, it is a whole 4 seconds slower than the Alto 800.

For reference, the Figures for Alto 800:
0-100: 16.9s
20-80: 13.1s

It makes me wonder.
Did Tata really bench-mark this against something?

In summary, I still do not understand the point of continuing this engine.
Looks it is neither smooth, nor powerful, nor efficient.
For such a wonderful looking and capable package, why use this underwhelming power-train!
abhishek46 is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks