Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 19:50   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
Now I am kinda confused between Punch Creative MT and the Altroz XZ.
If you are one of those (like me) who need very good headlamps OR capability to install HID projector fog lights, or if you need AMT, then Punch. Otherwise Altroz all the way. Its one heck of a car. Best that Tata has produced so far imho.

Altroz does not have the option to add projector fog lamps. So the only possible upgrade left is installing HID kit in the low beam of the headlamp (if it has projector). Punch has standard 3" fog lights, so installing projectors is a 1 hour DIY job .

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th October 2021 at 19:56.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 20:00   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Test drove the Punch today

With the elder brother Nexon

Pricing - Less said the better. If you want ground clearance and AMT, increase your budget and get the nexon, even if it is the base variant.
Lets assume this sells well, and just like Altroz TATA then bring in PUNCH with Nexon engine.

How the heck do they then decide the pricing?
I sincerely hope they plonk Altroz diesel engine in it, it will then stand out in crowd by virtue of its looks, engine and efficiency.
Old 19th October 2021, 20:03   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Lets assume this sells well, and just like Altroz TATA then bring in PUNCH with Nexon engine.

How the heck do they then decide the pricing?
I sincerely hope they plonk Altroz diesel engine in it, it will then stand out in crowd by virtue of its looks, engine and efficiency.
They won't put the diesel mill in the Punch, just like how they won't give an AT with the altroz.

Now if you have a 10 lakh budget and you want a diesel car, you will buy their altroz. If you want a AMT, you will choose the Punch. This is what I think Tata plans on. They don't want to give every thing in every product to make all products sell.

Moreover a diesel mill in Punch will make it even more grossly overpriced. Why would anyone choose a cheap feeling Punch when they can go for the nexon when you can get both at 12 lakhs OTR.

If any car deserves the nexon's 108 PS, 250 Nm, 6 speed MT, it's the altroz. It handles better than any other Tata car on sale today and extra power would have made it special, like how GTO exactly felt after driving the altroz.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th October 2021 at 20:09.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 20:13   #244
Senior - BHPian

FCA guys are working in collaboration with TATA already. Birdie working on the project tells me 4 months more for a turbo engine on the Punch. No diesel planned at all.
amit_mechengg is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 21:27   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
FCA guys are working in collaboration with TATA already. Birdie working on the project tells me 4 months more for a turbo engine on the Punch. No diesel planned at all.
Why FCA? Especially since there is no diesel involved and 1.3 MJD is phased out already
nibedk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 22:33   #246
FHW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If you are one of those (like me) who need very good headlamps OR capability to install HID projector fog lights, or if you need AMT, then Punch. Otherwise Altroz all the way. Its one heck of a car. Best that Tata has produced so far imho.

Altroz does not have the option to add projector fog lamps. So the only possible upgrade left is installing HID kit in the low beam of the headlamp (if it has projector). Punch has standard 3" fog lights, so installing projectors is a 1 hour DIY job .
Good headlights are a must have, but No to AMT at this price.

Punch Creative and Altroz XZ+ are priced same, however there is trade off of certain required or good to have features while selecting the one over other.

Most probably will be taking the test drive of Altroz on Friday but no TD Punch is available with the nearest dealership as of now.

Hope the purchase finalizes this week.
FHW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 02:36   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
Now I am kinda confused between Punch Creative MT and the Altroz XZ.

I had earlier zeroed out on Punch Creative, but the pricing!!!

In my city Altroz XZ is priced at 9.09L OTR, and I have been quoted 9.76L OTR for Punch Creative.

Differences between the two:
Present in Altroz but not in Punch
. Driver Armrest
. Rear AC Vents

Present in Punch but not in Altroz
. 7in TFT Instrument Cluster

Looks subjective

I had delayed my car purchase for Punch, now I'm confused.

May suggest.
GO for altroz proven product and I saw a guy at my local dealership who was there to check out the Punch and then zeroed on the altroz which has a better space management and driving dynamics. looks way more premium from inside too.

what was I Doing at the dealership?

Just went to check the Punch with my dad. Initially he liked the looks Stance GC simple interiors etc.
then we sat down with a sales rep we were looking for an AMT in a tight budget. Then the sales rep told my dad the price 8.03 lakhs OTR for 2nd base model.(Adventure AMT)
Dad instantly asked me how much does the other car cost, the other car being Ignis which we were finalising before we got to know about Punch. I had literally begged my dad back then to wait for a safer better built option thinking this might be in the same price range as Ignis. (my bad)
The decision was made then and there which car we are going to buy atleast for my dad. Though he said that this(Punch) looks way better than Ignis, is safe and quite practical the 1L extra is too much.

TBH even I thought to myself I could get 2nd top variant of Ignis and still save 40k and have twice as many features than the Punch.
I know there is no price to save a life and Punch ensure at 64km/hr it will save my life. except for maybe the engine Punch is a better car than Ignis and some might feel that the extra cost is worth it.

But what went through my mind was if the base model of Punch is 5.49L and the adventure variant is 6.39L which offers a
1. Music system
2. Rear power windows
3. Wheel caps
4. Central locking
5. electrically adjustable ORVM with no auto fold.
have a market value of 35k max. how does this cost tata 90k? this time I am not comparing any other car to this but I just cant understand the pricing.
To add to this misery Tatas AMT costs 60K which is atleast 15K more than the AGS offered by MS. Tata removed the XM from Tiago. While the XE and XM on altroz have a price difference of 60k with auto folding orvm and mood lighting on top of the above 5. what is the extra 30K for in the Punch? Why am I comparing a hatch with MSUV? because tata have kept the pricing that close to the Altroz.
Looks like a clear case of Tata overpricing the product to capture the hype. I am not even a Tata fanboi still i booked pre booked everything just to be let down like this by Tata.

The only reason we did not book the Ignis today and cancel the Punch booking was the fact that I told my dad

"converting to electric after a few years would be easy because of the ALFA platform on which the Punch is built".

I dont know if this sentence holds any truth at all so I ask expert BHPians to please let me know if that is true. Also If I should go for the Punch or Ignis.
Pramathyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 05:30   #248
Senior - BHPian

I think people are going to have mixed feelings about the pricing of Punch. TML should reshuffle their cars in terms of price slots. Depending on how you see it, at the lower trims of Punch, you get an almost equivalent car in the Tiago with the same or better goodies. On the higher variants, you are competing with your own Altroz or Nexon with a more powerful engine.
Old 20th October 2021, 08:13   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
- "converting to electric after a few years would be easy because of the ALFA platform on which the Punch is built".
- Also If I should go for the Punch or Ignis.
- I don't think it matters to you as a buyer. TML would have it easy by swapping out the ICE with an electrical powertrain but in the end you will have to buy the new car, call it ePunch or whatever.
If you're thinking about a conversion of the car outside which I doubt, I would strongly discourage it. Electricals and powetrains should not be messed with. Let a company like TML design, build, test and troubleshoot it.

- This is something you've to ask yourself.
Punch has the negatives of pricing, being the first iteration it is supposed to have some niggles, waiting period, TML's hit/miss service and positives being the 5 star GNCAP, fresh and good looks and assuming a better ride as TML cars usually have.

Ignis has the negatives of 3 star GNCAP primarily, polarising looks and positives being a better refined powetrain, MSIL's spare and service, proven car, better FE and pricing.

I am not going to recommend a 3star GNCAP over a 5star GNCAP rated car due to the sensitivities involved but would recommend you to go through the points and most importantly take the TDs again if still confused and let the person who will be driving take the call.

Good Luck
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 08:33   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

No waiting period for Tata Punch. Deliveries start . All pre-launch bookings are being delivered to customers without any waiting period.

TATA claims:
Quote:
the Punch has attracted the highest pre-launch bookings which we have ever experienced in the entire portfolio of products that we have
Tata Punch: deliveries on track with no waiting period, as they claim internal measures to mitigate the impacts of semiconductor crisis and has also prioritized the production of Punch over other models.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th October 2021 at 08:35.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 08:35   #251
BHPian

I would think an attractive factory price for the entry level 'Punch' would have been between Rs 4-4.5 Lacs. Similarly if all variants are priced at Rs 1 lac below their existing price tags then the Tata Punch would really seem mouth-watering.
Tata probably having been burnt by the 'Nano' experience are being extra-cautious, not to venture into 'cheap' territory. However, this wouldn't be the case with 'Punch' since the car came before its price-tag. Besides, the micro-SUV market is red hot for striking unlike the 'Nano' which was perhaps a decade late.

Last edited by smooth indian : 20th October 2021 at 08:37.
smooth indian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 08:51   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
No waiting period for Tata Punch. Deliveries start . All pre-launch bookings are being delivered to customers without any waiting period.
Nice, this was a pleasant surprise going by the trends, good one TML
They have come prepared and hitting it out of the park.

More importantly we should start getting the ownership reports sooner than expected.
Old 20th October 2021, 09:14   #253
BHPian

Need some guidance from people here. Was set on getting Punch Accomplished AMT but in Mumbai, the price is more than 9L. Even if I choose Adventure AMT + Rhythm Pack, price is a pretty high for me at 8.5L.

What other options can I consider? Car needs to be automatic only. Santro Sportz AMT (7.05L) ? Wagon R AMT ZXI (7.5L)
I am checking spresso Vxi+ ATM (6L) but then since it has been tested, everyone says no to buy due to 0 stars but then any others being considered may not have been tested so the safety is just assumed in those cases.

Really struggling especially as it is out first car. To be used by myself, wife and 2 kids.
Old 20th October 2021, 09:37   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
What other options can I consider? Car needs to be automatic only. Santro Sportz AMT (7.05L) ? Wagon R AMT ZXI (7.5L)
I am checking spresso Vxi+ ATM (6L) but then since it has been tested, everyone says no to buy due to 0 stars but then any others being considered may not have been tested so the safety is just assumed in those cases.
For the first, only & family car that you are looking for - the Santro, WagonR and Spresso - are horribly unsafe vehicles I must say. And its an unbiased opinion, I own one of the siblings of these vehicles. Its imparative that you spend a bit more and get a safe car, that you can use for out-station visits / vacations around your place as well. As a first car - there will also be a learning curve, lack of certain judgement that comes only with experience. Its really good if you buy a car that is safe for your family. You stay in Mumbai, so fast roads, visits on highways towards Konkan / Gujrath, visits on the rather risky Pune-Mumbai eWay are going to be on the cards. Don't compromise on safety.

If the Punch is going out of your budget - I suggest you buy the Tiago AMT. Its an excellent small family car, does everything one needs from a first car, and some! Solid build, spacious, good kit on offer and the same engine from Punch! And if you want a TallBoy - just realized this from the options you mentioned - please do check out the Ignis. Test it, stretch your budget and get it. Its not GNCAP certified on safety rating though. So its more of a perceived safer car. Tiago has proven record.

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th October 2021 at 09:44.
Reinhard is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:54   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
For the first, only & family car that you are looking for - the Santro, WagonR and Spresso - are horribly unsafe vehicles I must say.
Last Saturday when we went to check out punch, we actually liked it a lot, muscular looks and good space for our family and 5 star rated safety. I don't understand engines so we are not caring about that part.
We did sit in one Tiago, just that no bonnet visible was a downer for wife and myself too.
In my heart, I actually want to go for Tiago or Punch only. Altroz was considered but it does not come in automatic.

Let me evaluate more and may be wait few days and ponder and then decide.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks