Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 12:31   #271
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
No waiting period for Tata Punch. Deliveries start . All pre-launch bookings are being delivered to customers without any waiting period.

TATA claims:

Tata Punch: deliveries on track with no waiting period, as they claim internal measures to mitigate the impacts of semiconductor crisis and has also prioritized the production of Punch over other models.

Link

My dealership just informed me I'll have to wait for atleast 20 days or more. There are no cars available at the moment for delivery. Even after Pre booking the car this is happening.
Old 21st October 2021, 13:58   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
My dealership just informed me I'll have to wait for atleast 20 days or more. There are no cars available at the moment for delivery. Even after Pre booking the car this is happening.
Have patience, you'll get your car. Prebooking of course does not promise immediate delivery. A delay after prebooking means the product got a lot of response in the market and supply has been outrun by demand. In a way a positive news per se. Prebooking of course puts you higher up in the waiting list. Not bad. And cancellations / vehicles reaching the stockyards after completing ongoing transit - will possibly show reduction in the waiting time as well depending on your area. Good luck! Keep the forum posted about your initial ownership of the Punch.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 16:50   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Tata is trying to do a Creta with the Punch. See if they shed off their ‘cheaper’ tag and focus on value proposition and looks alone at a premium. Safety is a bonus.

If this works, it paves the way for a stronger bottomline, if not well they will have an average seller anyway.

Honestly I think they miscalculated . They may shed off their value for money tag and not get the bottomline they hoped for.. they still have some way to go before they get pricey and cocky..
Well the members on TBHP are very demanding and it is expected. They are comparing the Punch with Maruti Ignis and find it expensive. The Tiago base model is priced at 4.99 L and the Punch is at 5.49. The Tiago higher end are in the 7.2 L range.

I wouldn't be surprised if the average car buyer thinks differently. He may go in for the base, middle variants without the bells and whistles. He may be ok with the performance of the 1.2 NA engine and the manual transmission.

Where PUNCH seems to have nailed it is in terms of looks and styling. It looks like a SUV rather than a hatch which is the case wih most other cars its being compared to.

If you were to go back, the Swift shared the same engine with the SX4 Diesel while they served very different segments.

I bought a Ford Figo about 18 months back which was approx 2- 2.5 lakh lower than the Eco Sport which had the same engine and mechanicals , was not a lot bigger. The Eco Sport used to be the top seller from the Ford Stable and I wouldnt be surprised if the same turns out to be true for Punch.

Renault and Nissan are not really strong in terms of their sales and service network and seem to be happy selling approx 3000 units per month. Tata will be targeting a much higher number and I will not be surprised if they achieve it.

Their success with the Nexon has given them the confidence to aim for big numbers like 10,000 per month. Earlier they were content at selling 3000- 4000 units.
rajneeesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:19   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
If you were to go back, the Swift shared the same engine with the SX4 Diesel while they served very different segments.
The SX4 did get a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) that allowed it to produce close to 90Bhp vs the 74 in Swift (with a Fixed Geometry Turbo). So, they didn't really share exactly the same engine.

As for the Punch, I am sure it's mid variants at least will see decent sales. If nothing else maybe some customers who are currently going for Altroz 1.2NA will be persuaded to make the switch to Punch just for that additional ground clearance.
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:54   #275

Re: Royal Enfield GT Cup 2021 | My selection round experience

I don't understand the fact that every time people are complaining on this forum that some car brands are not giving safe cars but they just fill the car up with features and are able to create massive sales and still when a safe car is launched people start comparing it with the same cars they were condemning for safety ratings.
But no one seems to realize that making a safer and stronger car will probably make it costlier too. You can't expect everything. Most of the people are comparing it with Ignis and saying Ignis is better. But IMHO, other than the engine department( which I know is a really important aspect) , I don't see how Punch is a bad car for the price.
If they are charging extra for a safer car, its because its costlier to build too.
satyamkolhe is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 20:23   #276
BHPian

The starting price of Punch is as expected i.e 5.49 lacs for the pure variant. Its the Accomplished and Creative persona which makes Tata Punch overpriced and make people look for other options like Altroz or Nexon base model.

I came across this video on youtube which compares the three Tata cars which falls under similar price point and can help us to choose the right car for us. Thought it will be helpful.

Old 22nd October 2021, 21:44   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkolhe View Post
I don't understand the fact that every time people are complaining on this forum that some car brands are not giving safe cars but they just fill the car up with features and are able to create massive sales and still when a safe car is launched people start comparing it with the same cars they were condemning for safety ratings.
But no one seems to realize that making a safer and stronger car will probably make it costlier too. You can't expect everything. Most of the people are comparing it with Ignis and saying Ignis is better. But IMHO, other than the engine department( which I know is a really important aspect) , I don't see how Punch is a bad car for the price.
If they are charging extra for a safer car, its because its costlier to build too.
While you definitely have a point, Tata Punch contradicts the safety=expensive perception. We all know that base variant of a car is always crash tested and awarded safety rating points/stars. Still Tata have managed to price the base variant pretty aggressively! Superlative effort from Tata. It's just that the top variants are too expensive for a kind of car it is and the price segment it is competing in.

Last edited by Emvi : 22nd October 2021 at 21:54. Reason: Better wording, additional information added
Emvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 22:22   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Still Tata have managed to price the base variant pretty aggressively! Superlative effort from Tata. It's just that the top variants are too expensive for a kind of car it is and the price segment it is competing in.
The very reason for which you are applauding Tata (aggresive base variant pricing) could very well have led to higher pricing of top variants.

As a business, they must have some margin in mind for Punch. They might be willing to take a hit on margin for base variants to make it attractive, and compensate that with fat margins on higher variants. Ultimately it comes down to the demand vs. price curve they have anticipated/betting on for punch. How close their estimate is with the real demand curve will decide their success now.
Old 23rd October 2021, 01:43   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
They might be willing to take a hit on margin for base variants to make it attractive, and compensate that with fat margins on higher variants.
That's a good point you've made. Tata are trying to ride on the mini SUV & Safety wave while they can. Looking at the higher variants, can't help but feel they got greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkolhe View Post
But no one seems to realize that making a safer and stronger car will probably make it costlier too. You can't expect everything. Most of the people are comparing it with Ignis and saying Ignis is better....If they are charging extra for a safer car, its because its costlier to build too.
Spot on! Actually I feel the Pure and Adventure variants are priced okay. For example the Punch Pure is worth the 40k extra than the Ignis Sigma. You get a safer car and a newer design overall. I have a feeling this will be a fairly successful model for Tata, more like a baby Nexon.

The real issue starts with the higher variants, especially the top of the line. Simply doesn't make sense even in comparison to Tata stablemates.
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:52   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
Also If I should go for the Punch or Ignis
Please check the below statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Ignis has the negatives of 3 star GNCAP
I am not going to recommend a 3star GNCAP over a 5star GNCAP rated car due to the sensitivities involved
Apologies and Correction : Ignis for India hasn't been GNCAP rated.
Please check the content below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its not GNCAP certified on safety rating though. So its more of a perceived safer car. Tiago has proven record.
Thanks for pointing this, got me thinking and I checked GNCAP's website and found it under the African program but remembered seeing it somewhere and found it.

My mistake for trusting Carwale who mention the same.
GNCAP has tested Ignis under the SaferCarsForAfrica programme which is what they seem to be quoting as shown below.

Credits/Discredits to Providers : Carwale Ignis-Tiago Comparison

Name:  cw_ignis_safety.png
Views: 1179
Size:  18.8 KB

Seems like cannot trust anyone with accurate info
Emailed their support to correct it if they wish to.

Last edited by shancz : 23rd October 2021 at 12:02. Reason: added gncap link
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 13:08   #281
BHPian

Since everyone's mentioning about Ignis vs Punch, here are some interesting numbers.

Ignis Alpha MT vs Punch Creative MT

Price (on-road, Trivandrum) - 8,08,000 vs 9,95,000/- (1,87,000 difference)

Punch gets these in addition:

1. Auto Headlamps
2. Auto Wipers
3. Glove Box Lamp
4. Cornering Fog Lamps
5. 16" Alloys vs 15"
6. Cruise Control
7. Cooled Glove Box
8. Rear Armrest
9. Leather Wrapped Steering

Let's compare Ignis Alpha MT vs Punch Accomplished MT
Price (on-road, Trivandrum) - 8,08,000 vs 8,54,000/- (46,000 difference)

Punch gets:
1.Cornering Fog Lamp
2. Glovebox Lamp
3. Cruise Control

Ignis gets:
1. Alloy wheels (Steel in Punch)
2. Projector Headlamp
3. Autofold ORVM

Other Details

Ignis vs Punch

Length - 3700 vs 3827
Width - 1690 vs 1742
Height - 1595 vs 1615
Wheelbase - 2435 vs 2445
Weight - 865kg vs 1030kg
Boot Space - 260L vs 319L (or 366 as per ISO 215)
Fuel Tank - 32L vs 37L

Other Ignis Pros:
1. 1.2 K series Engine

Other Punch Pros:

1. More Spacious
2. More comfortable seats with better under-thigh support
3. Build Quality
4. 5 Star GNCAP

After going through these numbers, I don't think Punch is overpriced compared to Ignis. Yes, the pricing is optimistic for the Creative but at least till the Accomplished variant, the pricing is really good!

Magnite is a different game altogether. I feel the only option Nissan had was to price it very aggressively or else they might even be out of the Indian scenario! Magnite is a really good car with an amazing price without a doubt. Tata on the other hand is setting a strong foot and is taking a slight risk with some optimistic pricing.

With every other car talked about, I think its the overlap between Feature-loaded top end small car vs moderately loaded bigger car issue. Someone going in for S-Presso can always go for an Ignis lower variant. Altroz vs Honda City (4th gen), Venue vs Creta! It's always there, isn't it?
freakmuzik is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 13:26   #282
BHPian

This is quite interesting. With the speculated pricing I would have expected the Punch to be compared to the Tiago as a roughly equal option, and to the Altroz as a more premium option.

With the actual pricing though, people are comparing it with the Altroz as the equal option and the Nexon as the more premium option. I guess it's a win-win for Tata and they have it all figured out as one would naturally expect.
sravankrishnan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:27   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

I happened to visit the tata dealer yard today for my vehicle pdi. There are so many Punch seen. And the news from dealership is that the demand is more than what they expected.

Our people do love the SUV tag!

Here, tata's largest and smallest SUVs in the frame

Tata Punch Review-20211023_122949.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd October 2021 at 14:29.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:37   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
This is quite interesting. With the speculated pricing I would have expected the Punch to be compared to the Tiago as a roughly equal option, and to the Altroz as a more premium option.
+1. Like how spresso is an alto on stilts I expected Punch also to be a Tiago on stilts. But they have positioned it more as a baby Nexon especially with the 5 star rating which IMO justifies the pricing.
anandhsub is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 16:34   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata does a Skoda here

Tata Punch Review-screenshot_20211023163316_whatsapp.jpg

If you want that blue and orange, you gotta pay a premium.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed