Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:39   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Our friendly neighborhood AutoSpy recently came across a Tata Punch test mule filling up diesel, with a Harrier mule in tow, on the streets of Pune.

So, interesting times ahead.
Please, please, please!!!

I know it is stupid, but even detune it to 75bhp, if that is what Tata wants to prevent cannibalisation.

Just please launch the Punch with the 1.5l diesel. I like the vehicle, just not with the present engine.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:05   #377
Senior - BHPian

Always baffles me why Tata doesn't go all in when launching a new car. Just bombard people with all the engine and gearbox options the way Kia and Hyundai do it. Let people decide which engine to buy and not you.

Pretty sure Altroz and Punch would have scored much higher sales figure had that been the case. We are still waiting for a proper AT on Altroz/Nexon and big petrol engines for Harrier twins.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:51   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Always baffles me why Tata doesn't go all in when launching a new car. Just bombard people with all the engine and gearbox options the way Kia and Hyundai do it.
Because it takes them a lot of time to come up with a car after testing. One easier and cheaper way would be to do a phased release. Also, in case car is a flop, they don't have to bother further development cost on it.

Hyundai-Kia/VW-Skoda usually have most of the things sorted out because they usually need them for global releases.

---

I'm still not sure what exactly Punch is competing with. Is it Nexon? Altroz? or Tiago? There's a lot of overlap. But it doesn't matter much. As long as customer is confused in your own showroom, you can sell them something.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:31   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
Because it takes them a lot of time to come up with a car after testing. One easier and cheaper way would be to do a phased release. Also, in case car is a flop, they don't have to bother further development cost on it.
On the contrary, if you provide good multiple engine options and GB combinations at the start, you minimize the chances of a flop.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:34   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

I know it is stupid, but even detune it to 75bhp, if that is what Tata wants to prevent cannibalisation.

Just please launch the Punch with the 1.5l diesel. I like the vehicle, just not with the present engine.
75 bhp on Punch will be meh, like the eco mode in Altroz 1.5

If they bring the diesel, they need to bring atleast Altroz's 90 PS 200 Nm tune. It would be one punchy fun to drive car in that case

Being 120 kg lighter than diesel altroz, a diesel mill in it will still make the Punch 50 kg lighter than the altroz. So better power to weight ratio while aerodynamics is a negative point for the Punch

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd November 2021 at 11:40.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:49   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
75 bhp on Punch will be meh, like the eco mode in Altroz 1.5

If they bring the diesel, they need to bring atleast Altroz's 90 PS 200 Nm tune. It would be one punchy fun to drive car in that case

Being 120 kg lighter than diesel altroz, a diesel mill in it will still make the Punch 50 kg lighter than the altroz. So better power to weight ratio while aerodynamics is a negative point for the Punch
Agree.

What I meant was, just like how Tata stupidly gave the 90bhp/5spd GB to the Altroz (to save and differentiate the Nexon), they maybe thinking along the same line for the Punch diesel. Even if that happens, am okay with it, as a detuned 1.5l diesel will be anydays better than the 1.2l NA petrol.

The Punch with the Altroz diesel tune would be a case of " SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY "
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:57   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
On the contrary, if you provide good multiple engine options and GB combinations at the start, you minimize the chances of a flop.
There is no excuse for not providing power train options on the Punch. Everything is available and is ready to fit. The diesel engine, the turbo petrol, and even AMT options for both engines. They should have all been offered from Day 1. The current engine offered on Punch is just LAME, doesn’t belong in a 10L rupee car. On the same note, the AMT should be offered on the Altroz. At least till when the DCT is ready.

Had the iTurbo been available with even the lousy AMT on Punch or Altroz, I would have picked it up as a daily beater car.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 21:31   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
I'm still not sure what exactly Punch is competing with. Is it Nexon? Altroz? or Tiago? There's a lot of overlap. But it doesn't matter much. As long as customer is confused in your own showroom, you can sell them something.
For any other brand this would've been a great scenario, but Tata dealers are a different breed altogether. I have been a Tata owner for quite a long time now, but not once do I remember a moment when their sales and service stood out from the competition.

My latest tryst with Tata Motors was about 3-4 weeks ago, in Hyderabad. I went there for Punch. I found the reception quite lukewarm. It seems somehow the dealers are riding high on the 'promote our local manufacturers' sentiments of Indian customer which they are getting in multitudes; their attitude is as to why put the effort for fishing when you're getting an easy meal.

I checked out Punch and I left a positive impression on me and I have nice things to say about the car. Having said that I would definitely go for a diesel mill for Punch. The petrol engine did not fit the bill for me.

I hope the rumor is true. Tata Motors I hope you're reading this. Here take my cheque and get me that diesel Punch.
Old 24th November 2021, 15:19   #384
Senior - BHPian

If Tata does plan a diesel version of Punch, its a good news for people who are interested in Punch but are not enthused by petrol engine.

I too would prefer a diesel Punch.

Altroz's diesel mill would be great in Punch.

Overlapping is not that much of an issue as is being made out. I have a friend who thought of buying a Seltos, baulked at the waiting periods, seriously went to buy a Wagon R, saw a Brezza there, booked it by paying token amount. A couple of days later he dragged me to a Honda showroom to book City. All the while he kept talking to Hyundai dealer for Creta. When suddenly a Creta materialized, he bought it. He could have bought 2 Wagon R s with some change to spare for the cost of Creta. Where is the segmentation here? In my opinion, having multiple products in the same price brackets works better for a company.

For that matter, I too went to test drive a Magnite, explored Nexon, finally settled for Altroz. Punch was not in picture in September. Its a different matter that I was not in a hurry to buy a new car as my run time is drastically reduced since past two years and my current drive is very good, even at 1.2 lakh km on odo.

However, I remember reading somewhere that Tata people categorically stated there will be no diesel in Punch.

Last edited by simplyself : 24th November 2021 at 15:25.
simplyself is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 01:52   #385
BHPian

With the top end variants being the priced the way they are, I don’t think Tata has left much room for the diesel variants.

At this rate the punch’s top end diesel will probably collide head on with the Nexon’s top end petrol.
Old 27th November 2021, 22:54   #386
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch needs the turbo engine for its top variant at these prices. Or better replace the N.A 1.2 with turbo completely except the base variant. Add a few thousand to cover the cost for mid variants.

Bring in diesel in Altroz spec at the least. Also put whatever temporary automatic you have on all the cars.

I don't know who decides these on what basis at Tata but surely seems a half baked one every single time.
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:31   #387
BHPian

Dear Team,

Has anyone bought a Punch-Adventure Rhythm -AMT variant. Kindly update your ownership experience in short. This will be our second car and it is for my wife. Also we will be using this as our primary car for long travels as our polo has now touched 1 lakh kms and it is not very comfortable for my parents.
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:58   #388
BHPian

6110 Tata Punch were sold during the month of November 2021, -28% compared to October 2021.

Source:
https://www.autopunditz.com/post/top...-november-2021
Old 7th December 2021, 21:53   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdexter View Post
Dear Team,

Has anyone bought a Punch-Adventure Rhythm -AMT variant. Kindly update your ownership experience in short. This will be our second car and it is for my wife. Also we will be using this as our primary car for long travels as our polo has now touched 1 lakh kms and it is not very comfortable for my parents.
I a considering the punch AMT purely as a city runabout. But I am yet to come to terms with Tata s Service policies and hence am on the fence.

The rear seat ingress egress is extremely good for the elderly and I did not find the AMT head nod apparent if we use our brain a bit
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 08:08   #390
BHPian

Booked Punch Accomplished Dazzle AMT on oct 26th for family.
Driving pattern would be 90% on the busy traffic (yearly running around 30-40k km) onroad is around 9.65 lac.
Myself a proud Tiago owner (first gen XZ 2016) convinced family to go for Tata rather than our very own mileage and service oriented Hyundai, Maruti.
However just a concern remains. Is the 9.65 L onroad price tag justified?
Any other options I should have considered (dealer offers 100% refund for cancellation before shipment )
vinuchel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks