Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 16:37   #346
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

More than the Kushaq/Taigun twins from Skoda/Vw, I was looking forward to this launch. Germans will never give up on the sedan space and their product offerings are usually a notch above when it comes to safety and drivability. I have no doubt this one will be better than City; it also helps that it is a looker.

The market size for sedans might have dwindled with onset of SUV/MUV, but I feel this one will outsell Kushaq on monthly sales within a year.

I just hope the localisation doesn't mean skimping on interior finish and fitting like the recent launches. Sedans are usually marquee models for the germans and hopefully this one stays true to the ideology.
Old 19th November 2021, 16:44   #347
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Slavia? Like a Slave or Saliva? I don't know who comes with such ridiculous names! Even a kid would come up with a better name. That said, Where are the ADAS features in this? At least it should be optional for the price.
Skoda is 'Czech' brand. Czech was part of 'Czechoslovakia' before it split. May be the car name is inspired by the old country name. Even I get 'saliva'-'slave' words in my mind when I see this car's name.

But nice to see that they not giving up and launching new cars, unlike others who are running away or sitting idle for the right time to enter market (read 'Gimny' here).
Old 19th November 2021, 17:15   #348
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia targets Honda City; aims 3k monthly sales

I wish.

I wish they achieve, even surpass the target of 3K sales per month.
I wish Honda City, or even the others remain at their current levels or even increase their sales, thereby increasing the segment share of sedans.
I wish people get over the obsession of hatchbacks with roof rails and bigger tyres, thinking they are buying an SUV.
I wish real cars - Proper Hatch backs, Sedans, and proper SUVs get their share of success.

Ohh, how I wish!
Nav-i-gator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 17:42   #349

Looks beautiful. The blue color though should be seen in flesh to see how blue it is! It's a little too light colored for my liking. The Carbon steel looks the best IMHO. With prices that parallel the Honda City, this one should sell good numbers.
Old 19th November 2021, 17:57   #350
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
May be the car name is inspired by the old country name.
Czechoslovakia was split into “Czech Republic” and “Slovakia” - both are separate countries now. The name must be inspired by the latter country.
Old 19th November 2021, 18:19   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I wish.

I wish they achieve, even surpass the target of 3K sales per month.
I wish Honda City, or even the others remain at their current levels or even increase their sales, thereby increasing the segment share of sedans.
I wish people get over the obsession of hatchbacks with roof rails and bigger tyres, thinking they are buying an SUV.
I wish real cars - Proper Hatch backs, Sedans, and proper SUVs get their share of success.

Ohh, how I wish!
I wish the govt banned any 2WD vehicle from being labeled an SUV
sid3091 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 18:29   #352
BHPian

I am going to go against the popular opinion here.

Slavia looks like a imperfect fusion between kushaq, rapid and Octavia.

Front end is more SUVish than a sedan. Classic doesn't always mean beautiful.

Hope India 2.0 strategy of Skoda isn't just keeping costs down by using average materials. Kushaq looks much smarter in my view. An average effort from Skoda.
No offence to Skoda fans.
Old 19th November 2021, 18:34   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Czechoslovakia was split into “Czech Republic” and “Slovakia” - both are separate countries now. The name must be inspired by the latter country.
Slavia, the region of the Slavs, was a part of Yugoslavia, not Czechoslovakia. (Yugoslavia is the present day Serbia and Montenegro). I don't think the present day Czech republic car maker wants to name a car as a tribute to erstwhile Yugoslavia.
Geta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 18:37   #354
BHPian

Looks beautiful, and I am among those people who think that the increased GC is a boon for our road conditions.

Just got a call back from Skoda Dealer (Hosur Road, Bangalore), as I had called earlier to enquire, and as per them:

- 1.0 Style AT is expected to be 20-21L OTR in Bangalore (i.e. slightly above Kushak 1.0 Style AT)
- Display / Test Drive vehicles expected in Jan and deliveries to start in March / April '22.
- As mentioned by others already, booking amount (if done offline with dealer) will be fully refundable.
Old 19th November 2021, 18:37   #355
Team-BHP Support

Slavia was the first bicycle built by Laurin & Klement. The name pays homage to the bicycle:

Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 18:40   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

I won’t count Škoda out here. Maybe not the Slavia alone, but it combined with its VW counterpart can totally do 3000 units combined. I TDed the 1.0 automatic Kushaq recently, and it was a mighty impressive vehicle. Slavia sharing underpinnings and mechanicals is only a good thing.

Let’s not forget that Honda of today is nothing like what it was a decade back when the Rapid/Vento were launched. Honda’s reputation is in tatters, everyone knows build quality is bad, parts are expensive and don’t last long. The bouncy suspensions and unsorted ride are also an open secret, and zero innovation has happened over the past decade, while prices have only gone north. If Skoda manages to price the Slavia at par, it will instantly become a more appealing choice.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 19:14   #357
KPR
BANNED

Slavia cannot beat Belta sales for sure. My heartfelt appreciation to Indian Skoda board for being optimistic in life. Reminds me of college days. The last bencher copies from his A point someone friend and gets B grade. Nerd studies real hard to score a D grade.

Last edited by KPR : 19th November 2021 at 19:20.
Old 19th November 2021, 19:16   #358
Senior - BHPian

Looks great! The 1.5 turbo engine is so tempting.

But Skoda service nightmares will need to be a thing of the past to even consider buying it.
Can't be stuck without a daily car for weeks if there's trouble.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 19:18   #359
BHPian

More I look, more I'm falling in love with the Slavia. Looks like a perfect upgrade for our 8-year-old Nissan Sunny. Especially the blue colour.

Have forwarded it to my dad. Let's see. He's been bitten by the EV bug though so dunno anything will go ahead.
Old 19th November 2021, 19:32   #360
BHPian

Whats wrong with manufacturers ? A new car with NO new tech ? In this age of high fuel prices , you do not offer diesel ? Ok , fine but then where is the mild hybrid ?
where is the 48 V hybrid system that has to be there as a must in cars in this era .
Also where is the cylinder deactivation system ?
Whats the CD of the new car ? Any word regarding it ? Under body air flow improvements, rear diffuser , some smart air vents etc.
The answer is big NO . So it's just a new car with old tech in my opinion .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed