Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 16:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Similarly 1.0 Turbo is a No for a car of this size. So Skoda must provide either TC or CVT with 1.5 NA engine.
The 1.0 Turbo will directly compete with 1.5 iVTEC in City. Infact Rapid with 1 TSI was faster than City in drag race, and I believe Rapid is heavier than City too.

Great to see another sedan being launched. India seriously have dearth of sedans

Last edited by sunikkat : 27th October 2021 at 16:42.
sunikkat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:34   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

Hope these MQB A0 Sedans take the game forward from the polo while improving the ride quality (something sorely missed on the Polo/ Vento platform) as this is a stiffer platform than PQ25 and lower ground clearance than the Crossovers.
Polos and Ventos have been shipping with desi Gabriel shockers for quite some time now. This is the primary reason why their ride is no longer settled. My in laws’ new Vento has about the same ride quality as my ageing City. A decade back, VW cars were coming with far superior Sachs suspensions. If they don’t bring the hardware up to speed, ride and handling will always bear compromises.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Probably the only new locally made sedan waiting to be launched(along with the VW twin), my only issue is their "robust" DSG gearbox with the 1.5L engine
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:42   #19
BHPian

This being a sedan, it will be more fun than the Kushaq on highways. For some one who is not a fan of "SUV" styling and were not impressed with the interiors of Kushaq, Slavia will do just fine.

Dear Skoda, please make sure to test the Slavia more "Robustly" before launching it. This again looks a promising launch just don't ruin it.
RD150 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:43   #20
BHPian

So which one is better. 1.0 L TSI rapid or 1.0 L TSI slavia which will be expectedly pricier by 3.0 lacs, for someone who doesnt care much about features. Also I believe, Raid TSI AT is available on discount though, MT rapid mid variants are no longer available.

Last edited by fawad0222 : 27th October 2021 at 16:46.
Old 27th October 2021, 16:45   #21
BHPian

I like this preview and launch (?) approach from Skoda, this way they'll get many insights from industry experts (Team BHP mods and us members ) Perhaps they could make these test drives a bit early before the actual unveil / launch. That'll give ample time to work on feedback from car journos and it'll also help to keep the upcoming car launch in news. I admire Skoda for their commitment to sedans, when every other manufacturer is dropping sedans like a step child.. looking at you Tata ! From this review it's certain they'll go all guns blazing on the engine and transmission dept, just hoping they weed out major issues like EPC.
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
So which one is better. 1.0 L TSI rapid or 1.0 L TSI slavia which will be expectedly pricier by 3.0 lacs, for someone who doesnt care much about features. Also I believe, Raid TSI AT is available on discount though, MT rapid mid variants are no longer available.
3 lakhs will get you extra space and boot if it matters. The current Rapid struggles to seat 3 at the back comfortably. Expect improvements in these areas with that considerable increase in width.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:57   #23

The dimensions seem quite interesting. Kushaq's width is 1760mm vs Slavia's 1752mm. Would that result in rear seating space further reducing for Slavia?
Old 27th October 2021, 17:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also buyers like me who wants to drive an automatic in the city without losing sleep, DSG is a big No. Similarly 1.0 Turbo is a No for a car of this size. So Skoda must provide either TC or CVT with 1.5 NA engine.
Sorry, why is that?

That 1.0 TSi is fast! In the manual version of the outgoing Rapid - it does 10.09 seconds (As tested by ACI) to the 100. That's actually the fastest sedan by segment standards!

Even paired with the 6 speed slushbox - it is still faster than the 5th generation City 1.5 manual (forget the slower CVT), the main rival.

The 1.5 TSi of course will have no direct rivals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbharadwaj16 View Post
The dimensions seem quite interesting. Kushaq's width is 1760mm vs Slavia's 1752mm. Would that result in rear seating space further reducing for Slavia?
8mm is a very minor difference - I guess it could be due to the lack of plastic claddings in the Slavia?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 17:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Although one major question, will it get a sunroof? Considering the Octavia doesn’t get one.
The PowerDrift video hints that car has the same sunroof as the Kushaq. I think the Octavia will soon be updated with a panoramic unit. Shave off a few Lakhs too?

I do hope Skoda launches the car fully sorted unlike the Kushaq and with better quality standards , especially inside.
Old 27th October 2021, 17:18   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Polos and Ventos have been shipping with desi Gabriel shockers for quite some time now. This is the primary reason why their ride is no longer settled. My in laws’ new Vento has about the same ride quality as my ageing City. A decade back, VW cars were coming with far superior Sachs suspensions. If they don’t bring the hardware up to speed, ride and handling will always bear compromises.
Neither a Polo with Sachs nor a Honda city has a good ride quality, so i would not bother with such a comparison anyway. The handling is good but the ride was never anything stellar for most options and this is one big reason why crossovers are being preferred by most customers.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 17:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sorry, why is that?

That 1.0 TSi is fast! In the manual version of the outgoing Rapid - it does 10.09 seconds (As tested by ACI) to the 100. That's actually the fastest sedan by segment standards!

Even paired with the 6 speed slushbox - it is still faster than the 5th generation City 1.5 manual (forget the slower CVT), the main rival.

https://Youtu.be/ilkyGAbaXS0

The 1.5 TSi of course will have no direct rivals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
The 1.0 Turbo will directly compete with 1.5 iVTEC in City. Infact Rapid with 1 TSI was faster than City in drag race, and I believe Rapid is heavier than City too.
I will accept that I dont have much knowledge about car mechanical & engines. But a 1 L even though Turbo seems under-powered compared to 1.5 NA. Please shed light on this.
I personally want more reliability & durability and reading on forums somehow gives the impressions that Turbos and its associated parts are more components in a car just waiting to fail. So wouldn't Turbo engine cars be less durable than NA engines?

Also can a 1L Turbo car fully loaded with passengers & luggage compete with 1.5L NA engine car fully loaded with passengers & luggage assuming everything else is same?
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 17:21   #28
BHPian

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-skoda_slavia.png

Was Renuka cheekily trying to give Autocar viewers a glimpse of the interiors by doing that door-close test TWICE with that "serendipitous" camera angle?
lordrayden is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 17:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Global premier on Nov- 18th, with India launch likely in April 2022.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 18:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I will accept that I dont have much knowledge about car mechanical & engines. But a 1 L even though Turbo seems under-powered compared to 1.5 NA. Please shed light on this.
I personally want more reliability & durability and reading on forums somehow gives the impressions that Turbos and its associated parts are more components in a car just waiting to fail. So wouldn't Turbo engine cars be less durable than NA engines?

Also can a 1L Turbo car fully loaded with passengers & luggage compete with 1.5L NA engine car fully loaded with passengers & luggage assuming everything else is same?
Others could correct me if I'm wrong.

The general consensus is There is no Replacement for Displacement. This is purely because a higher displacement engine produces typically higher torque at lower rpms and a higher output as well. However when you bring Turbo into picture, the scale tilts. Because a Turbo engine produces higher peak torque (you may need to overcome a bit of initial lag) and a higher power from a lower capacity at similar rpms. Meaning more power at tap.

Rough Specs Comparison:

City 1.5 NA=148 NM torque Vs Rapid Tsi 1.0=175nm torque.

City 1.5 NA=116 BHP vs. Rapid TSI 1.0=110 BHP.

What the higher torque results is in easier overtakes and pulling power especially in higher gears and loaded conditions (Read Rapid 1.0 TSi) vs. a smoother build up of power on City but the need to shift gears or wring the engine in higher gears or loaded conditions due to lower Torque.

145nm Torque is Indica Territory; 175nm is Swift Diesel Territory (Swift Diesel had ~190nm torque) which makes the car feel a rocket.

So it is likely that Rapid 1.0 will beat 10 out of 10 times either in a drag race or on the highway, when it comes to performance.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 27th October 2021 at 18:09. Reason: Added last para.
theabstractmind is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks