Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 20:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Dimensions are comparable to the latest Honda City. It is a good option if they can launch it in the same price range.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbharadwaj16 View Post
The dimensions seem quite interesting. Kushaq's width is 1760mm vs Slavia's 1752mm. Would that result in rear seating space further reducing for Slavia?
Typically, you may get better seating space in the sedan since their rear bench width is greater than shoulder width by a slightly wider margin than a SUV which tends to be boxier in shape.
Old 27th October 2021, 21:11   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
2. It has a notchback and a huge boot.
Slavia is a notchback. This was already mentioned during the name unveil a few weeks ago -

"The coming new ŠKODA SLAVIA will once again set out to define a new era, this time on the Indian market. There, the notchback model, which is due to be presented later this year, will complement the OCTAVIA and SUPERB saloons, which are highly regarded in India."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
This is a never ending argument, and can go on for years. There are probably no right or wrong answers to it.
One right answer - there is no replacement for displacement + turbo charging. 1.0 TSi or 1.5 NA < 1.5 TSi.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th October 2021 at 21:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:17   #49
BHPian

Wish List
  1. Front Parking Sensors
  2. 360* cameras or at least lane watch camera with parking sensors on front and back
  3. Higher resolution reversing camera with guidelines
  4. All 4 power windows with auto function
  5. Dual Zone climate control
  6. Retracting Rear blinds factory fitted on rear 3 glasses
  7. 8/9 speaker system with subwoofer
  8. Electric brake with auto hold
  9. Ambient Lighting colours (7 at least)
  10. No halogen bulbs on head or tail lights except the fog lamps
The above is in addition to what Kushaq Style already has.

Otherwise the city will still be the king of sedans, because city already has most of these features and it’s iVtec engine is a gem. Also, city is a very safe car.

If not, I feel Zac Holis’ dream of segment leader would remain a dream for ever.
KapilD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:19   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Slavia is a notchback. This was already mentioned during the name unveil a few weeks ago -

"The coming new ŠKODA SLAVIA will once again set out to define a new era, this time on the Indian market. There, the notchback model, which is due to be presented later this year, will complement the OCTAVIA and SUPERB saloons, which are highly regarded in India."
The photos show a conventional sedan boot and not a notch back like the Octavia / Laura.

Unless you mean notchback is the sedan notch boot type opening.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Dimensions are comparable to the latest Honda City. It is a good option if they can launch it in the same price range.
1 TSI they should and hopefully will be priced in Honda City range.

But for 1.5 TSI there will definitely be a premium. Wouldn't be surprised if 1.5 TSI is in the range Creta / Seltos 1.4 and Taigun / Kushq 1.5 TSI.
Old 27th October 2021, 21:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
Wish List[list=1][*]Front Parking Sensors[*]8/9 speaker system with subwoofer [*]Electric brake with auto hold
I miss Electric parking brake & Auto Hold function on my Automatic City. I think these are must features for a car above 10L.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 27th October 2021 at 21:25.
Old 27th October 2021, 21:23   #53
BHPian

If launched in Rs 8-15 lakh Range, Skoda might change both the segment as well as their own fortunes.

Keeping the price aspect aside, donot want Skoda to compromise on the quality like they did on Kushaq.
Old 27th October 2021, 21:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post

Kia and Creta are offering much more in this price range. And the hassles with after sales service, the less we talk, the better.
I have experienced both Hyundai and VW after sales service. For 6 years with former and about 5 years with VW. I don't see much difference between the two, either in terms of service cost or quality. With Hyundai two services a year were costing the same around 1 service a year with VW.

Coming to the topic, hope Skoda prices it properly. Today there is no sedan in competition to Honda city. Vento and Rapid have less space inside and for anyone owning them, there is no upgrade option in Sedan range, without spending more than 25L

Last edited by nagarjun : 27th October 2021 at 21:26.
nagarjun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Car looks good in the camouflaged avatar itself.
Exactly my thoughts. I would even buy the car with that camouflage and drive around.
Old 27th October 2021, 21:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia will be available in showrooms by March 2022.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-smartselect_20211027215028_twitter.jpg

Slavia Infographic

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-skoda_slavia_key_facts1440x810.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th October 2021 at 21:54.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:59   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The photos show a conventional sedan boot and not a notch back like the Octavia / Laura.

Unless you mean notchback is the sedan notch boot type opening.
Guess such details are under embargo as none of the reviews cover it.

Unless Skoda means it something else for the Indian market, I hope it is a proper notchback like the Octavia (the hatch style opening of the boot) and is just being wisely camouflaged at this stage.

Apart from the earlier Skoda press release, you can also find confirmation from Herbert Diess, chairman of the board that even the VW cousin of the Slavia (mostly Virtus for India) will be a notchback.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-screenshot_20211027215247_linkedin.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th October 2021 at 22:06.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 22:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
But a 1 L even though Turbo seems under-powered compared to 1.5 NA.

Also can a 1L Turbo car fully loaded with passengers & luggage compete with 1.5L NA engine car fully loaded with passengers & luggage assuming everything else is same?
If you're looking at it from a displacement perspective, cars of this size(first-gen Octavia and Elantra launched in India) came with 2.0L turbodiesels. So both the City and the Vento/Rapid/Slavia have engines that are relatively 'undersized' compared to cars of this size released 15 years ago - a point that is largely moot nowadays thanks to how good turbocharged engines have become this last decade.

Having driven a friend's 2020 City ZX 1.5 CVT and my Vento 1.2 TSi back-to-back, I'd say the greater torque of the turbo-petrol clearly manifests in better driveability (although the DSG probably accentuates that effect) and the NA petrol, accentuated by the CVT rubber-band effect, was borderline frustrating to me in terms of throttle response when pushed in the city. (I will note that I don't know what it's like to drive on a highway.)

Neither car will feel sprightly with 5 passengers and luggage, and you can get stuck when trying to accelerate in too high a gear at too low a speed with both engines(happens with the 2.0 CRDi in my Elantra as well). If you're choosing between automatics, the TC + 1.0L TSi Slavia would be more responsive than the City's 1.5L iVTEC CVT; if you're comparing manuals the 1.5L TSi is clearly the best engine of this segment.

I can't comment on reliability from an engine point of view, other than to say both types of engines have been around for a while.

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 27th October 2021 at 22:03.
rkv_2401 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 22:19   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guess such details are under embargo as none of the reviews cover it.

Unless Skoda means it something else for the Indian market, I hope it is a proper notchback like the Octavia (the hatch style opening of the boot) and is just being wisely camouflaged at this stage.

Apart from the earlier Skoda press release, you can also find confirmation from Herbert Diess, chairman of the board that even the VW cousin of the Slavia (mostly Virtus for India) will be a notchback.

Attachment 2224831
Watch this video from Karthik:

From 1:50s you can see a close up of the regular boot. If it was a notchback then the glass would not go underneath the boot lid but join.

Also at 2:15s Karthik confirms that it is not a liftback but a regular sedan boot as it is lower cost.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 23:54   #60
BHPian

Well, a Skoda is a Skoda. Once you have driven a Skoda, you just can't go back to driving the Maruti's or Hyundai's of the world.

The reason for Kushaq selling well is probably because people nowadays are more aware of driving dynamics and want more premium cars, hence moving away from the regular brands.

Even I was the first Skoda owner in my family, that's full of Maruti and Honda already . My first car ever, Skoda Rapid has served well for 7 years and 90k kms. I did numerous road-trips and it never gave up on me ever !!

And somehow I am not sold on the SUB craze. I guess, I'll say I'm a Sedan-fanatic

I'd really like Slavia if they could fulfill the following points for me:
a) Better suspension damping: They have kept it stiff for better handling but I don't like it when bigger potholes crack into the cabin.
b) Better gearbox: I do not want the infamous DQ200 on 1.5l
c) Better GC: Bigger wheelbase demands for better ground clearance
d) Space for three adults at the rear seat
e) If possible, make it RWD

Even if they fulfill 3 of above 5, it's good enough for me bet my money on it. I always dreamt of owning an Octavia but never felt comfortable handling a car of that size in everyday busy traffic.

And SLAVIA seems to be the answer to my problem
hiren.sharma is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed