Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 19:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Kushaq ambition is priced a good 2 lakhs onroad more than City V. Both have near identical feature lists with some more in city and some more in kushaq. Will Slavia be able to match the City in price and looking at the not so great kushaq sales, the pricing will determine if Slavia is a worthy conterder than an established City. Design wise, city is an overall acceptable package with nothing much to complain. Russian Slavia looks also fine but not city beatable from the front. Rear though seems better in Slavia. Spacewise both will be close. City though is better screwed together in terms of assembly discipline and qc than the kushaq.

Not sure if Skoda can price Slavia 1.5 lakhs less than kushaq ex-showroom and should be interesting to see. Engine wise Skoda may have an edge slightly in some use cases. Ground Clearance surely looks better in Slavia.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 02:05   #92
BHPian

I don't think and it should not, compete with Honda City or Verna or Ciaz for that matter.

Slavia seems to fill the gap between the C and D segment sedans. With current lineup, there is a big gap between Rapid and Octavia.

I really hope, Skoda doesn't play cheap here like it did with Kushaq but instead, provide better quality and sell it at a premium over other C segment sedans.

The Czech shouldn't try compete head on with Koreans or Chinese or Japanese but rather stay where it is and define its own unique segment.
hiren.sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 10:10   #93
BHPian

I will be surprised if Skoda manages to price Slavia below Kushaq. For a car its size, the base variants should start somewhere around 11.5 lacs. Worst case 10.99 lacs is my guess.
Old 1st November 2021, 10:40   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
I don't know why people have hopes for Skoda or VW. It is inevitable that these two have to eventually pack up and leave India.

Both Kushaq and Taigun are overpriced period. How are people buying them, I can't comprehend .

Kia and Creta are offering much more in this price range. And the hassles with after sales service, the less we talk, the better.
There are a billion crows in this country but it is the peacock which gets to be the national bird. Numbers don't mean everything.

Some people buy a Maruti/Hyundai and hope they don't end up in an accident/ get rear-ended.

Some people buy a VW/Skoda and they hope these companies do well enough to remain in India.

Life is all about being hopeful, right?

Last edited by Geta : 1st November 2021 at 10:57.
Geta is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

Skoda India has released official design sketches of the Slavia.

Quote:
The image shows the car’s low front section, including a wide, hexagonal ŠKODA grille extending all the way to slender, sharply defined headlights that feature an L-shaped daytime running light strip.
Quote:
Also visible are the coupé-style silhouette and long wheelbase as well as a distinctive badge with the ŠKODA wordmark on the front wings.
Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-20211102_123533.jpg

Quote:
The notchback saloon’s roofline slopes gently towards the rear, where it merges elegantly and smoothly into the boot lid.
Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-20211102_123536.jpg

Quote:
Adding further touches to the model’s distinctive looks are the ŠKODA wordmark in block letters and a rear apron with a chrome strip. In addition, reflectors on either side emphasise the vehicle’s width. Featuring the signature C-shaped ŠKODA lights design, the tail lights are divided into two parts and extend into the boot lid.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd November 2021 at 12:40.
Venkatesh is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:40   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda India has released official design sketches of the Slavia.

Attachment 2227134

Attachment 2227135
As expected, the front fascia is borrowed from the recently revealed global fabia
Attached Images

agambhandari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:40   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda Slavia design sketches revealed

Attachment 2227134

Attachment 2227135
This is a royal rub in to folks who have spent 30+ Lakhs on Octavia. Looks like Skoda is either going to kill the Octavia brand or else just keep it as Halo product. Company looks like has run out of design ideas. I expect interiors to be similar to that current generation Octavia.

Good news for the folks who haven't invested in Octavia can save significantly with Slavia.
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:50   #98
BHPian

Looks hot!!
About the comments about Octavia losing its sheen with Slavia, I beg to differ.
Octavia has better and a powerful engine, different DSG gearbox, multi link suspension etc, which I think Slavia may not come with. Also this is a product designed for India in the new platform and quality and interiors may not be on par with what Octavia offers and there is a segment between 15-20l for a good Sedan.
nagarjun is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:25   #99
BHPian

Well, I'm very eager to know more about this sedan like a lot of other folks and just can't wait for the 18th of November. I hope Skoda reveals the Interior too and doesn't keep it a suspense for another couple of months. The new "bit by bit" reveal strategy.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:38   #100
BHPian

The video of the car is already out in Russia.

Looks so much better than Rider and seems more apt for this segment of cars. Always found vento/fabia to be too small for its segment.
sidharthg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Looks hot!!
About the comments about Octavia losing its sheen with Slavia, I beg to differ.
Octavia has better and a powerful engine, different DSG gearbox, multi link suspension etc, which I think Slavia may not come with. Also this is a product designed for India in the new platform and quality and interiors may not be on par with what Octavia offers and there is a segment between 15-20l for a good Sedan.
I agree to points on paper, but most of folks who have taken Octavia have streched budgets as nothing was available in 1.5L or the price range. Below 30L it still a price conscious buyer and still think of rising petrol cost. Sales number of Octavia reflects this clearly.

If Octavia is available in 1.5L engine in the current avatar one would have easily noticed difference in sales between 1.5 and 2.0 versions. Personally i would have taken 1.5L than 2.0L. With current fuel prices it is more sensible engine option to choose.

How many common folks will exploit full potential of a multi link suspension on a city road or walk into a showroom and check for finer details that enthusiast would check? First thing still in this segment is the price to entry point.

From Octavia stand point currently it's design is what differentiates it on the road as there are hardly any. One is paying those big bucks for this exclusivity in design too. Folks on road end up admiring design than asking what engine and gear box it has. With Slavia design this changes drastically. At a distance it will be hard to differentiate either of them.

I see VW line up being more clear than Skoda.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:08   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=yxSjcjcNrhI&t=72s

Looks so much better than Rider and seems more apt for this segment of cars. Always found vento/fabia to be too small for its segment.
We are not getting this one. Indian version will be different. Ours will be styled similar to current gen Fabia.
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:10   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
Design wise, the car in the sketches above and the one in the video look quite different.

Zac has also mentioned on Twitter that the Slavia and the Russian rapid are entirely different cars.
ss212 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India claims yet again that the Škoda Slavia has already been tested by Global NCAP, which also indicates that production for the model might have started (unless the sponsorship offer has been made but the test has not been conducted yet).

Name:  Screenshot 20211102 at 2.23.11 PM.png
Views: 883
Size:  153.6 KB

I hope Škoda have also sponsored a test on the Kushaq, considering Mr Hollis has stopped replying to any queries about the NCAP rating (earlier, he would say that they would not voluntarily influence testing)

Considering the tall claims on pedestrian protection, and hopefully standard ESC, I hope for nothing less than a Safer Choice Award. I also hope for the first five star child occupant protection rating because Volkswagen Group's last child occupant protection rating (3 stars) for The Volkswagen Polo with Volkswagen Bobsy restraints, showed room for improvement.

Source
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
This is a royal rub in to folks who have spent 30+ Lakhs on Octavia. Looks like Skoda is either going to kill the Octavia brand or else just keep it as Halo product. Company looks like has run out of design ideas. I expect interiors to be similar to that current generation Octavia.

Good news for the folks who haven't invested in Octavia can save significantly with Slavia.
Absolutely not! The reason why D segment cars died (or are on the verge on dying) is because we Indians don’t value it’s ‘value proposition’. We compare feature list between cars more often than not, and if that is equal, we consider the cars comparable.

Most D segment cars are high-engineered, strongly built cars with strong chassis, good engines, and premium interiors. Obviously at a cost. Just because Honda City/Hyundai Creta offers similar size and features list as an Octavia, it doesn’t make those cars comparable.

I drive a VW Jetta - and it compares favourably to my BMW 3 GL in many aspects - forget City/Creta!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 2nd November 2021 at 14:51.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (25) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed