Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Audi Q5 Facelift Review

2021 Audi Q5 facelift launched in India

Premium Plus - Rs 58.93 lakh
Technology - Rs 63.77 lakh

2021 Audi Q5 Facelift Review-20211123_130840.jpg

2021 Audi Q5 Facelift Review-20211123_131017.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd November 2021 at 13:15.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 13:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Costlier than both GLC and X3, will sell only after discounts roll in! No diesel is another deterrent!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 13:49   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Costlier than both GLC and X3, will sell only after discounts roll in! No diesel is another deterrent!
With X3 at 57.9 and 63.5 for the SportX and Luxury Line, and the equipment pretty much at par, price is exactly in Line with X3.

And to add that the LCI would definitely hike up prices, and Audi will give more aggressive discounts likely. It's an even match at the moment but could very easily go in favour of X3. But these are very closely matched cars, it's a personal choice at the end of the day.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 18:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
GLC petrol is down on power, lacks AWD, is a much older product and lacks a lot of features.

When it comes to X3, it is similarly priced and X3 is due for an update, so most probably you'll see a price hike
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 18:41   #20
BHPian

Pricing on very expected lines and almost matching X3. BMW dealers in Bengaluru have no idea when the facelift will be launched.

When will discounts start flowing for Q5?
Old 24th November 2021, 10:00   #21
BHPian

I find this comment strange. The Q5 and the Jeep would cost 3X of the similar looking Mahindra and Hyundai products that you are referring to. Do you think the customer segment is the same?

If you think so, maybe you think too little of the Indian car buyer out there. They are practical for sure, but not stupid.

The Audi Q5- whether it sells or not, will not be determined by the percieved resemblance that you are bringing up. What may be more detrimental are the safe looks, the not so modern interiors, petrol only engine option, and the price (pre-discounts).
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 18:07   #22
BHPian

There are lot of us who love the understated. The Q5 is an elegant, comfortable, reliable family car. It has no pretensions of 'performance'. The interiors are graceful and luxurious without being exciting. It comes into its own during long drives. A family of four can spend hours without being distracted, disturbed and with complete focus on 'family time'. This is achieved by its excellent suspension, NVH and body control made possible by the engineering marvel called Quattro. For the driver it provides an excellent driving position, a light, direct steering with adequate feedback to keep the drive interesting. The dynamic mode coupled with sport gearing provides enough oomph for most situations on the highway. It has more than enough power for family use. My car, in its 6th year running, 50K on the Odo, has returned an average of just under 13 KPL (diesel). The car has needed no repairs other than replacement of battery, tires and windshield wipers. It has been to Ladakh (3300 KMs), Nepal (2800 KMs), Goa (2600 KMs) and multiple trips to Amritsar, Chandigarh, Himachal and Uttarakhand. All ex Noida. The point is that this car is aimed at a particular segment. When looking at the three Marques in the price range and to take an analogy from pet dogs, BMW is akin to Dobermann, Audi is like a German Shepherd and Mercs are like Labradors. Take your pick but please don't compare. Especially if you have not lived with one for a significant amount of time.

The lack of cladding below the bonnet is probably due to it being a petrol motor.

The point about not having a diesel option, to my mind, is just keeping up with the times. The Indian govt is under pressure to phase out diesels. Keeping our commitments at COP26, I expect this pressure will increase with time. Buying a diesel today will lead to a sticky situation, four/five years down, when you need to sell the car. By 2025 we are all going to be looking at EVs.
Inder7 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:55   #23
BHPian

Test drove the Q5 and the XC60 recently and thought will post my opinions on here for anyone looking at this segment.

The feature list of XC60 seems to beat the Q5 hands down. The downer is that the Q5 Premium plus variant only gets 6 airbags compared to 8 airbags in the Technology variant. I am definitely against the idea of luxury cars taking this route and skimping on safety between variants. I do not think any other luxury brand does this (will need to verify). The technology variant has the adaptive damping system, while the lower variant misses out on it.

The interior quality and the look was leagues below the XC60. The XC60 seemed a segment above the Q5 in materials (lots of hard plastics everywhere) and looks. Honestly, I preferred the exterior of the XC60 over the Q5 as well. Though, the Q5 in grey in the brochures seemed to look much better than the black one showed to us.

The Q5 did seem a bit easier to maneuver in traffic than the XC60. The XC60 probably has the lightest steering in the segment, though the Q5 was also quite light (I like a heavier steering feel). Ride seemed similar on both cars, however the rear seats in the Q5 are extremely comfortable. I was expecting the XC60 to be better than the Q5, however the Q5 surprised me. I think the outgoing X3 is the least comfortable rear seat in the segment.

The Q5 does feel a generation older than its rivals and I would say that the facelift isn't enough of a game changer. The prices are similar on both the XC60 and Q5 and honestly don't see many picking this over the Volvo or BMW. It seems like the chip shortage is an excuse (as said by two different SAs) for limited inventory and discounts from all the luxury brands starting from now.

All in all, I don't see many people picking the Q5 in this segment, definitely not going to be doing numbers it was at one point few years back unless discounts roll in.

Edit: Have to mention the Audi Ahmedabad and Volvo Ahmedabad sales part was a notch above the BMW. The Audi center is a much better place than the BMW or Volvo as well.

Last edited by kartavya : 6th January 2022 at 11:01. Reason: forgot to add a feature
kartavya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 22:50   #24

I am in the market for a SUV and test drove the Q5 twice. Other than driving dynamics and ride, it’s a great all round package, perfect as a family car. Also with discounts rolling in with the festive season, Q5 has the potential to be a strong contender on this segment.
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:16   #25
BHPian

I also want to upgrade to a luxury SUV and am confused between BMW X3 and Audi Q5. I see the poll heavily favours BMW X3 but after reading reviews and doing my research, I am finding Audi Q5 more suited to my needs. Here are my reasons:

1. I have read that the Quattro AWD system is the best in the segment. I am not a hardcore offroader but have done quite a few challenging trips like the Leh-Manali highway in monsoon and winter Spiti. So, a good AWD system is a must for my peace of mind. There is also a separate off-road driving mode in Q5.

2. Audi Q5 has the best ride quality which is again very important as I do very long road trips, especially in the mountains.

3. Boot in Q5 seems to be more practical than BMW X3.

4. Can see full-size maps in the Audi instrument cluster which is good for navigation.

5. I don't know why but I feel Audi Q5 comes out as a more rugged and reliable SUV. During my last trip to Ladakh, I had done a hundred-kilometre stretch of nearly absent roads (only gravel and dust). I am afraid more electronics of the BMW X3 will be more prone to failure in such terrain. I may be wrong about this, so please correct me.

6. BMW X3 has RFTs which have stiff ride quality plus they are more prone to damage due to thin side walls (as I have read in this forum). On my last trip to Spiti, a sharp stone slid the side wall of my tyre and it was an MRF Wanderer. So, I feel RFTs in BMW will be a great risk in such terrain and I will have to switch to tubeless very soon, which will cost me extra.

7. Discounts on Audi Q5 can help me save a few lakh rupees over BMW X3.

On the downside, BMW X3 looks much more modern and attractive. I am yet to take a test drive on both and need to judge them on the above points, so please let me know your opinions.
shashankjain16 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 08:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
I also want to upgrade to a luxury SUV and am confused between BMW X3 and Audi Q5
I am not a hardcore offroader but have done quite a few challenging trips like the Leh-Manali highway in monsoon and winter Spiti. So, a good AWD system is a must for my peace of mind.
No offence but i would be loath to take either of these German crossovers for winter Spiti or Leh- Manali in monsoon. Electronics can fail, laden ground clearance may not be that high and any damage repairs will be mightly expensive with no local support. So if your needs are long trips like these, i would stick with a body on frame

I would consider the X3 and Q5 only if i need a good highway driving machine with the ocassional offroad stretch. And within them, take a call between dirivng engagement (X3) and practicality- cheaper, more spacious, more comfortable (Q5)
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 10:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also want to upgrade to a luxury SUV and am confused between BMW X3 and Audi Q5. I see the poll heavily favours BMW X3 but after reading reviews and doing my research, I am finding Audi Q5 more suited to my needs. Here are my reasons:

1. I have read that the Quattro AWD system is the best in the segment. I am not a hardcore offroader but have done quite a few challenging trips like the Leh-Manali highway in monsoon and winter Spiti. So, a good AWD system is a must for my peace of mind. There is also a separate off-road driving mode in Q5.
TBH, both the Audi and BMW are not suitable for Leh-Ladakh kind of treacherous terrains. My dad had met a client recently who did Leh-Ladakh in 4 cars; a Prado, 2 Innovas and a X5. The lack of oxygen at the higher altitude caused some issue in the Prado but it completed the circuit nonetheless. Meanwhile at a water-crossing water entered the X5’s engine and it got seized. They had to leave the X5 where it was and return without it! They went again with a flatbed just to get it back. The guy clearly said this can only be done in cars with lesser electronics.

Coming to the Quattro system, unlike international markets where the Q5 gets air-suspension, the Off-road mode only increases the ride height. But in India there is no air-suspension so the off-road mode is more of a gimmick. And to be honest the xDrive is better than the Quattro system in treacherous conditions.

The same can be seen here:

Quote:
2. Audi Q5 has the best ride quality which is again very important as I do very long road trips, especially in the mountains.
Won’t deny this, the Q5 is more comfier than the X3.

Quote:
3. Boot in Q5 seems to be more practical than BMW X3.
Both have 550 Litres of boot space, so placing luggage and checking will be a better idea.

Quote:
4. Can see full-size maps in the Audi instrument cluster which is good for navigation.
Yes, full-sized colour maps are available in the Audi’s instrument cluster.

Quote:
5. I don't know why but I feel Audi Q5 comes out as a more rugged and reliable SUV. During my last trip to Ladakh, I had done a hundred-kilometre stretch of nearly absent roads (only gravel and dust). I am afraid more electronics of the BMW X3 will be more prone to failure in such terrain. I may be wrong about this, so please correct me.
Neither of them is more rugged than the other and reliable. Both are Germans with very similar levels of electronics in them, so I am not sure how the X3 is more susceptible to electronic failures.

Quote:
6. BMW X3 has RFTs which have stiff ride quality plus they are more prone to damage due to thin side walls (as I have read in this forum). On my last trip to Spiti, a sharp stone slid the side wall of my tyre and it was an MRF Wanderer. So, I feel RFTs in BMW will be a great risk in such terrain and I will have to switch to tubeless very soon, which will cost me extra.
The X3 has a decent sidewall with their 245/50/R19 tyres. I have missed several potholes on Mumbai roads, but haven’t faced any cuts or issues till now. Of course Leh-Ladakh is a completely different terrain. The issue is with the sedans which have really low profile tyres like the 630i MSport GT or the M340i or the 220i MSport.

Whether your car has RFT or tubeless tyres it’s always wise to carry a full-sized spare along with you.

Quote:
7. Discounts on Audi Q5 can help me save a few lakh rupees over BMW X3.

On the downside, BMW X3 looks much more modern and attractive. I am yet to take a test drive on both and need to judge them on the above points, so please let me know your opinions.
Yes, discounts on the Q5 are much better than the X3. The new X3 still has a waiting period in the long-run.

I’ll add if you plan to do lots of inter-state drives, either the BMW or Audi will do a splendid job. But Leh-Ladakh isn’t meant for these cars, a proper 4WD with low-range will be a better bet…

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th November 2022 at 10:40.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 11:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I’ll add if you plan to do lots of inter-state drives, either the BMW or Audi will do a splendid job. But Leh-Ladakh isn’t meant for these cars, a proper 4WD with low range will be a better bet…
So my dilemma of owning a luxury SUV and having the freedom to go at off-beat places would never be met, I guess.

I would genuinely ask for your advice on this then. I want to do a lot of long drives interstate and in mountains. I live in Gurgaon and I have drive to Goa, Sikkim, and North-East on my bucket list already. No hard-core off-roading, but at least able to go on broken roads, and cross water-crossings with peace of mind. The main issue I have with my Duster AWD is the NVH levels and engine noise are very exhausting, plus the car is not safe and I recently became a father so safety is now a top priority for me.

Jeep Compass seems to be a good contender but that too seems to have a lot of electronics. Another option I see is a Fortuner, but I am worried about its ride quality on long drives and body roll on winding roads in the mountains. Plus it is a huge car for a small family of 3, but that might be an advantage as we can back more luggage in it.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th November 2022 at 10:50. Reason: Typo.
shashankjain16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 13:00   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would genuinely ask for your advice on this then. I want to do a lot of long drives interstate and in mountains. I live in Gurgaon and I have drive to Goa, Sikkim, and North-East on my bucket list already. No hard-core off-roading, but at least able to go on broken roads, and cross water-crossings with peace of mind. The main issue I have with my Duster AWD is the NVH levels and engine noise are very exhausting, plus the car is not safe and I recently became a father so safety is now a top priority for me.

Jeep Compass seems to be a good contender but that too seems to have a lot of electronics. Another option I see is a Furtuner, but I am worried about its ride quality on long drives and body roll on winding roads in the mountains. Plus it is a huge car for a small family of 3, but that might be an advantage as we can back more luggage in it.
Naturally I would have recommended a Fortuner, but in its diesel guise there is a mixed response towards its DPF. And Toyota doesn’t offer a Petrol 4WD in India

If river crossings and very high altitudes will be very minimal then you can go ahead with the luxury cars as well.

Another car I can recommend is the Jeep Meridian AWD. I agree like the Compass you mentioned it also has quite a lot of electronics but definitely not on the same level as the German marques. The Meridian is more car like in its handling and road mannerisms compared to the Fortuner and has lot more space than the Compass as well.

If this car for you is mostly for interstate runs, then I will still recommend the Fortuner Diesel 4WD. Few cars come close to the capability it possesses, only in the city the DPF can get clogged in short drives. You should definitely TD it and ask for a long TD to the hills if possible, to see if the body roll is manageable for you. And ride quality at low speeds in the city is a bummer but out on the highway, no roads or roads at higher speeds it simply demolishes potholes or bumps.

But TD the German marques as well, just because I said that they are not meant for high altitudes and treacherous terrains, don’t drop them from your TD List.

Keep us posted on your decisions . You can also start a new thread in the Whatcar Section, to get more opinions.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 4th November 2022 at 13:02.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 09:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If river crossings and very high altitudes will be very minimal then you can go ahead with the luxury cars as well.
I and my wife were pretty adventurous with our Duster AWD and did some pretty crazy trips in the last three years. But now that we have been blessed with our daughter, we will be a lot more sensible about where we venture. I believe if we plan the route properly and time our trip well (let's say early May or September end), we can avoid the majority of issues with water crossings in high altitudes. Also, BRO is doing a commendable job of laying absolutely beautiful roads all through Ladakh, so maybe a few years down the line, it might but just another highway drive. Not to mention such altitudes will not be that frequent and most of the mountain roads in the lower Himalayas can be easily done in these cars anyway.

I have seen a few BHPians have done Leh-Ladakh in BMW X3 and even Audi Q5 and they did not face any issues. Of course, one has to be a lot more careful with these cars. One cannot just ram them into an overflowing water crossing and not expect things to go wrong.

My heart is with germans but my brain is with Jeep Compass/Hyundai Tuscon/Fortuner. Let's see who wins.

I will start taking test drives soon and then post a separate thread in What Car? to get more opinions.
shashankjain16 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks