Old 18th November 2021, 15:51   #46
BHPian

Re: 2021 Maruti Celerio Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
A very detailed review as always

Attachment 2233872

Attachment 2233873
Is there a difference in the gap between the front and rear wheel arches and the corresponding tyres? I’m not sure if it’s really there, but the front right side looks slightly lower than the rest.
It's the case with recent Marutis. The s presso also has ungainly clearance in the rear wheel arch compared to the front wheels where it nicely fills the wheel arches. Maruti I think has jacked up the spring height at the rear to ensure no rubbing against wheel arch under rear passenger full load/ overload conditions in india.
Old 18th November 2021, 16:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It's clear that MSIL is on a serious weight loss mission, but they should've provided an AMT actuator protection at least on the underside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Did you mean engine underbody protection in general or referring specifically to "AMT actuator"?
Parag, I think he was referring to the image and comments below. If yes, this is the cable which comes from the actuator and lever for the clutch and not the gear shift mechanism itself (AMT actuator). As pointed out in the pictures posted by you, the AMT control box and the actuator mechanism sits on top of the gearbox and the clutch cable (which comes out of the actuator) and lever are located underneath the gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
No underbody protection, not even a plastic cover. See the black rod and wire mechanism next to on the right side of the picture? That’s actually a clutch actuating mechanism. Such a moving part should get a good amount of protection for sure, no matter how high the ground clearance of the vehicle is:
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 16:57   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Parag, I think he was referring to the image and comments below. If yes, this is the cable which comes from the actuator and lever for the clutch and not the gear shift mechanism itself (AMT actuator).
Got it. Thank you. So the reference Hemanth was making was to the linkage mechanism for the AMT and not necessarily the actuator itself. In that case I am not sure how a cover will help here as you know most old school cars including my good old WagonR has clutch cabled fully exposed along with the arm and adjustment nuts underneath the car. But given the way incidents happen today, a covering should certainly help even to keep the linkages free of attracting any debris or muck.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 18:26   #49
BHPian

Design Looks boring . MAruti is claiming mileage around 26km/l. The car has become lighter I guess. Need to see the crash test results to see how safe this car is . Even with airbags Maruti cars aren't safe these days. I guess Maruti would have used more paper and plastic and mixed it up with the sheet metal to make the car lighter and increase mileage .
Sarinkrc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 18:58   #50
BHPian

Liked the review overall although the what you'll like and what you'll dislike section would have really helped.

However, from the review it does seem that Maruti was so busy pitting this against the Tiago that they did not consider how it would stack up against the other models in their stable. It will be interesting to see whether sales come at the cost of the Ignis, Espresso or Wagon R, or at the cost of the Tiago, which in my opinion is a far superior all-round package and trumps the Celerio on almost everything except boot space.

While nothing about the Celerio really stood out for me, I especially didn't like the looks (which is subjective, I know) - it seems to be a hotch potch of other cars from the same stable including the A-star. However, the Celerio should appeal to Maruti loyalists of which there are many, and the car should do decent numbers.
Old 18th November 2021, 18:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Parag, I think he was referring to the image and comments below. If yes, this is the cable which comes from the actuator and lever for the clutch and not the gear shift mechanism itself (AMT actuator).
If the protection we refer to is a board of plastic, then thats not going to help save from a potential agent that could damage the rod. Things are different in case of the oil/transmission sump since its made of thinner metal and can get ruptured but that rod needs something really strong to damage it, and something against which a plastic part has no chance to stand.

The other thing is I see a pretty robust radiator lower support member which sits lower than the clutch fork rod. That should act as the clearance agent and get damaged first.

Last edited by audioholic : 18th November 2021 at 19:01.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 08:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The engine also gets a water-cooled EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. While most compression ignition (diesel) engines use EGR to reduce emissions, in spark ignition (petrol) engines, EGR actually helps in increasing efficiency.
Interesting. Its nice to see Maruti Suzuki carry out technical upgrades on the engine.

Is there a schematic of this somewhere? I can see a pipe fitted to the right of the exhaust manifold. I wonder if that is related to the water cooled egr.
Old 19th November 2021, 10:32   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
How is the "new AMT" behaving ?.. Is it like the usual AMT or something more smooth..

Does hill hold work flawlessly like TC gear boxes ?
Any feedback on AMT ?
Old 19th November 2021, 14:53   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is the "new AMT" behaving ?.. Is it like the usual AMT or something more smooth..

Quote:
Any feedback on AMT ?
The AMT in this car is one of the best AMT implementations that I have seen in recent times. Smooth shifts on most occassions, quick downshift while accelerating... Its pretty fluid. Sudden hard inputs dont cause confusion and gear hunting. During normal driving the AMT likes to shift early and generally shift happens somewhere around 2500 mark. Usually I think there should not be any causes for concern here.
Zappo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 09:04   #55
BHPian

I criticised the design early but I have to admit that the looks are growing on me , but the dated handle and that abysmal placement and design of request sensors are something I cannot overlook. But since it is maruti that too with 26 kmpl claimed economy it will sell regardless the price.
Old 25th November 2021, 14:32   #56
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
The AMT in this car is one of the best AMT implementations that I have seen in recent times. Smooth shifts on most occassions, quick downshift while accelerating... Its pretty fluid. Sudden hard inputs dont cause confusion and gear hunting. During normal driving the AMT likes to shift early and generally shift happens somewhere around 2500 mark. Usually I think there should not be any causes for concern here.
Did you try hill hold scenario with this AMT.. Does the car roll back when you release break... ie like other AMTs ?
Old 26th November 2021, 07:51   #57
BHPian

Just hopped into one of Suzuki's dealership here in Nagoya. It seems the much ridiculed separate request sensor adorns the exterior of Jimny and the Alto series as well. Hope the Indian version of Jimny does away with the same. At least now we know, it is not India specific.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 08:35   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Just hopped into one of Suzuki's dealership here in Nagoya. It seems the much ridiculed separate request sensor adorns the exterior of Jimny and the Alto series as well. Hope the Indian version of Jimny does away with the same. At least now we know, it is not India specific.
What astonishes me from the production perspective is that just to accommodate this request sensor they have to produce a different panel for the door one which has a hole and mount and another which doesn’t for the lower versions. Compared to that the conventional door handle mounted request switch uses the same door and the handles are different. I really want to know if designing a different door handle turns out to me more expensive or there is some other reason being this horrible design.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:30   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
What astonishes me from the production perspective is that just to accommodate this request sensor they have to produce a different panel for the door one which has a hole and mount and another which doesn’t for the lower versions. Compared to that the conventional door handle mounted request switch uses the same door and the handles are different. I really want to know if designing a different door handle turns out to me more expensive or there is some other reason being this horrible design.
I think volume plays a huge role. For relatively low volume models like Celerio or Jimny, variants may be feasible. I don't think Suzuki will dare to do this in Indian Alto with the huge volumes it requires.
Also, the cost gap between two types of handles is sufficient probably to offset inventory carrying cost.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:16   #60
Team-BHP Support

One look at it and it reminds of what a face lifted A-Star would have looked. I think (sarcasm) it was in MUL's backyard & they suddenly discover it and launched it.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed