Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 16:38   #271
R_R
BHPian

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Tiguan is selling well, according to the latest sale figures: 130 sold in February, compared to 61 in January and 40 in December. So doubt there will be any discounts for a while! Surprisingly, the old Hyundai Tucson is selling even better, at 172 in February!!
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 17:07   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Tiguan is selling well, according to the latest sale figures: 130 sold in February, compared to 61 in January and 40 in December. So doubt there will be any discounts for a while! Surprisingly, the old Hyundai Tucson is selling even better, at 172 in February!!
Good to know.
At the end of the day it’s a good solid product albeit a bit overpriced for what it is offering so there will be takers.
Old 11th March 2022, 01:51   #273
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the updates guys, looks there is time for the discounts to come (if any). 36-37ish on-road is the current NCR price for the available 5 seat model. No waiting AFAIK

Found this while playing around online
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-screenshot-20220311-1.49.20-am.png

Link to use- https://www.vw.com.mx/app/virtual-studio/ Lots of VW models available
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 20:01   #274
BHPian

Got the foot mats and and mud flaps fitted from vw. They are rubber mats and fit quite well. The only glaring omission is a cover / mat for the rear tunnel. VW says they don’t have a mat to cover the tunnel. It’s quite surprising as Skoda does give a very well fitted tunnel cover. Would appreciate if a fellow bhpian could give me any pointers as to where one can get a similar cover for the Tiguan. Am attaching a pic from Kodiaq accessories for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-909bab3d59314feaadaf5809497be2bf.jpeg  

troika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 17:29   #275
BHPian

Sorry to ask this doubt again.
When we use the auto hold function, do the gears remain engaged ?
Also if one shifts to neutral and then keeps the brake pressed , does the auto hold function work ? Or does it work only if the car is in gear ?
Moderators please delete or edit this post if needed.
Old 12th March 2022, 23:05   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
Sorry to ask this doubt again.
Also if one shifts to neutral and then keeps the brake pressed , does the auto hold function work ? Or does it work only if the car is in gear ?
Moderators please delete or edit this post if needed.
Auto hold function engages the parking brake and gearbox would still be in D1 /S1 depending on the mode you’re driving. It deactivates when you press the gas.
Not sure but do not think neutral will engage the auto hold but do not see why one would want that.
Old 13th March 2022, 10:19   #277
BHPian

To prolong the life of the DSG it’s always better to shift to neutral at long traffic signals. Using the auto hold will be like keeping the car in gear and keeping the brakes engaged which is not good for the gearbox in the long run.
After shifting to neutral one will have to keep the brake pedal pressed as auto hold doesn’t work if the car isn’t in gear. Or use the electronic parking brake.
urban legend is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 12:29   #278
BHPian

For the guys who have got their cars, can you throw some light on the gesture controls for the MID? Is it just for side swipe or can you do something else with it?
Thanks.
Old 13th March 2022, 12:50   #279
BHPian

Quote:
To prolong the life of the DSG it’s always better to shift to neutral at long traffic signals. Using the auto hold will be like keeping the car in gear and keeping the brakes engaged which is not good for the gearbox in the long run.
After shifting to neutral one will have to keep the brake pedal pressed as auto hold doesn’t work if the car isn’t in gear. Or use the electronic parking brake.
That is the good point. My service advisor told me, auto hold reduces the life of break pads too. He suggested me to avoid it in city and use it only when the driving conditions demand it. I have been following it.
sj_koova is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 16:32   #280
BHPian

"Auto Hold is an extension of our electronic parking brake system. It stops your car from accidentally rolling backwards when you're stationary, or setting off on a hill. That means you won't need to keep applying the parking brake manually, check whether you've applied enough braking pressure, or worry about rolling back as you prepare to move off.

It's convenient, more comfortable, and safer in situations where your car needs to be kept stationary with the engine running - in slow moving traffic, for example.

The system is operated via the ABS/ESP hydraulic unit. When you brake your car to a stop, Auto Hold keeps the braking pressure you last applied. You can take your foot off the brake pedal and all four wheel brakes will stay on.

If the ABS wheel speed sensors detect any rolling, the braking force is automatically increased until your car comes to a standstill again. This may be the case if, for example, you brake gently to a stop on a hill. As soon as you press the accelerator again and, in the case of manual gearboxes, release the clutch, Auto Hold reduces the braking pressure again."

Source: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/tech...t/braking.html

Per above, since this feature applies the same pressure of brakes as you normally would based on the condition of flat surface OR a slope, I do not feel it will lead to an accelerated wear and tear.
Having an Auto-hold feature is a boon in city drives and I really find it useful at signals. I do not feel the car is stressing to move forward and brakes are holding it. There must be some electronics working at the background to keep the transmission safe.
I have been driving my Vento TSI for 6 years without engaging to Neutral in stop and go traffic OR at the signals and did not have issues with transmission and first brake pads were changed at 35k Kms.
Where I dis-engage the auto-hold is in stop and go traffic as I need to press the gas pedal for the car to move forward each time which is annoying. I would rather work with just the bake pedals in this scenario.
Alternate - If one really wants to be conservative, engage the START/STOP and Auto-Hold feature at the same time. What it does is - when your car comes to a standstill, parking brake engages and engine shuts and your transmission engages Neutral.

My take - Drive and enjoy your car with all the features that you have paid for. Engage and dis-engage feature based on your convenience and not the worry of wear and tear

Last edited by Jangra : 13th March 2022 at 16:52.
Jangra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 18:38   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
Very easy and comfortable to drive in the city. Will give a feedback regarding highway manners at a later date. Didn’t get an opportunity to click any pictures after the delivery, so am attaching a few from the delivery itself.
Congratulations! What kind of mileage are you getting in the city?
Old 13th March 2022, 19:53   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
"Auto Hold is an extension of our electronic parking brake system. It stops your car from accidentally rolling backwards when you're stationary, or setting off on a hill. That means you won't need to keep applying the parking brake manually, check whether you've applied enough braking pressure, or worry about rolling back as you prepare to move off.

It's convenient, more comfortable, and safer in situations where your car needs to be kept stationary with the engine running - in slow moving traffic, for example.

The system is operated via the ABS/ESP hydraulic unit. When you brake your car to a stop, Auto Hold keeps the braking pressure you last applied. You can take your foot off the brake pedal and all four wheel brakes will stay on.

If the ABS wheel speed sensors detect any rolling, the braking force is automatically increased until your car comes to a standstill again. This may be the case if, for example, you brake gently to a stop on a hill. As soon as you press the accelerator again and, in the case of manual gearboxes, release the clutch, Auto Hold reduces the braking pressure again."

Source: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/tech...t/braking.html

Per above, since this feature applies the same pressure of brakes as you normally would based on the condition of flat surface OR a slope, I do not feel it will lead to an accelerated wear and tear.
Having an Auto-hold feature is a boon in city drives and I really find it useful at signals. I do not feel the car is stressing to move forward and brakes are holding it. There must be some electronics working at the background to keep the transmission safe.
I have been driving my Vento TSI for 6 years without engaging to Neutral in stop and go traffic OR at the signals and did not have issues with transmission and first brake pads were changed at 35k Kms.
Where I dis-engage the auto-hold is in stop and go traffic as I need to press the gas pedal for the car to move forward each time which is annoying. I would rather work with just the bake pedals in this scenario.
Alternate - If one really wants to be conservative, engage the START/STOP and Auto-Hold feature at the same time. What it does is - when your car comes to a standstill, parking brake engages and engine shuts and your transmission engages Neutral.

My take - Drive and enjoy your car with all the features that you have paid for. Engage and dis-engage feature based on your convenience and not the worry of wear and tear
That’s some useful information and puts my doubts to rest.
Old 13th March 2022, 20:51   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Congratulations! What kind of mileage are you getting in the city?
Thanks, I am getting around 9-9.5 in the city and around 11-13 on the highway, depending on how spirited the driving is. Have been taking it a little easy (driving mostly in normal mode, except for about 100 odd kms on sport mode) for the time being as don’t want to be too exuberant in the first 1000kms of running in period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
For the guys who have got their cars, can you throw some light on the gesture controls for the MID? Is it just for side swipe or can you do something else with it?
Thanks.
The gesture control in mostly a side swipe control ( as I understand it during my struggle with it over the last month or so). It’s more of a hit and miss! Also it doesn’t work when connected to CarPlay.

Quote:
Also if one shifts to neutral and then keeps the brake pressed , does the auto hold function work ? Or does it work only if the car is in gear ? .
As already explained ( and in a fair bit of detail by Jangra) , the Autohold is a great feature to use in the city in traffic. It will not work in neutral. As per the manual, it’s main purpose is to assist in starting/stopping at inclines. Can be also used in normal traffic. It does get a little annoying in inching traffic as I am also used to an auto transmission ( without the auto hold feature for the last 13 years). I doubt it’ll have any detrimental effect to the brake pads.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-5da130bc113d4de8a6e77f54302edab3.jpeg  

troika is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 21:52   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
Thanks, I am getting around 9-9.5 in the city and around 11-13 on the highway, depending on how spirited the driving is. Have been taking it a little easy (driving mostly in normal mode, except for about 100 odd kms on sport mode) for the time being as don’t want to be too exuberant in the first 1000kms of running in period.

As already explained ( and in a fair bit of detail by Jangra) , the Autohold is a great feature to use in the city in traffic. It will not work in neutral. As per the manual, it’s main purpose is to assist in starting/stopping at inclines. Can be also used in normal traffic. It does get a little annoying in inching traffic as I am also used to an auto transmission ( without the auto hold feature for the last 13 years). I doubt it’ll have any detrimental effect to the brake pads.
Thanks. 11-13 on the highway seems excellent. I read somewhere that the ARAI mileage is 12.65 kmpl, apparently that seems incorrect from the figures you are getting.

Useful info on the auto hold as well - didn't know it is for inclines as per the official manual. This might come as a surprise for many.
Old 15th March 2022, 18:48   #285
BHPian

I just got a call from my sales manager. No cars have been produced this month. My car won’t be available for another month at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks