Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2021, 13:12   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
It depends on the vehicles being compared. VW sedans had better ride quality than Skoda. E.g. Vento over Rapid or Jetta over Octavia
Beg to differ with this generalization on both counts:

Our own TBHP review clearly reveals that the ride quality of the Rapid was better than the Vento. Look it up.

Again, you're comparing the Jetta multilink suspension with the Octavia torsion beam setup. Instead, compare with the Octavia TSI multilink setup, which I can assure is equal if not better than the Jetta.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 15:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Beg to differ with this generalization on both counts:

Our own TBHP review clearly reveals that the ride quality of the Rapid was better than the Vento. Look it up.

Again, you're comparing the Jetta multilink suspension with the Octavia torsion beam setup. Instead, compare with the Octavia TSI multilink setup, which I can assure is equal if not better than the Jetta.
Nope. The handling of the rapid is better. The ride quality of the Vento is better.
And I was comparing the multilink of both the Octavia and Jetta. The difference isn't huge, but it's there.
evil_grin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 07:12   #63
BANNED

Quoting from the ACI review of the 2021 Tiguan:

Quote:
If you're not extremely careful, this engine can have a drinking problem, as we’ve observed in the Allspace and Skoda Superb. This is despite the use of engine stop-start and decoupling the engine during coasting, and though we didn’t do an instrumented fuel efficiency test, it did fare a little better than the Allspace, nudging the 10kpl mark in mixed driving.

Don’t, however, mistake this for an outright sporty engine, because it isn’t. Yes, the DSG gearbox is quick to shift as always, but the 2.0 TSI in this guise doesn’t enjoy being stretched too hard, and is more comfortable at eight-tenths (helps with fuel consumption too).

The suspension also affords it good body control in the corners, and there’s plenty of grip from the AWD system too, but like with the engine, you don’t want to push too hard. That’s because the steering, though sharp enough for everyday use, isn’t one to coax you into a spirited drive, and this, ultimately, is a big heavy SUV that’s geared more to comfort.
The TSI engines have stopped being ones you enjoy revving hard (except for the 1.0 TSI). The 1.5 does not like to be red lined too. It’s best driven like a diesel which is when it’s strengths come through and you can make good progress.
Old 29th December 2021, 19:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
The bad
  • I couldn't find a comfortable driving position over the entire driving period
  • My left knee kept brushing with the transmission tunnel
On not finding the comfortable driving position, I typically position the steering wheel at its lowest so that I to hold the bottom part while resting my arms comfortably. This is really helpful in the long run. I simply could not find such a comfortable positioning in the Tiguan. The last time I had a similar experience was in the outgoing facelift XUV500 automatic. I will do one more TD to ensure I am not wrong.
Please allow me to correct myself on this aspect of my review. I did a second test drive today and I would like to say that I was able to find a decent position by correctly adjusting the seat height and the steering set to lowest position. I am so used to sitting low and that does not bode well for this steering arrangement. While its still not a 100% satisfaction, its definitely not what I made out to be earlier. Also with the seat height adjusted to sit a bit higher, I did not brush my knee against the transmission tunnel. The rest of my observation continues to hold true after the second test drive too.

Additionally the car looks better in darker shades. Anyone who wants to buy it should really think twice before choosing the white. On creature comforts the features I miss comparing it to its Skoda cousins are
  • 360 degree camera (Superb)
  • Better sounding speakers
  • Electrically adjustable passenger seats
  • Front camera (Superb)
  • Cooled seats (Superb)
  • USB port in IRVM (Octavia)
  • Wireless charger
  • TPMS
  • 6 airbags instead of 8

Last edited by SR-71 : 29th December 2021 at 20:08.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 22:33   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
On creature comforts the features I miss comparing it to its Skoda cousins are
  • 360 degree camera (Superb)
  • Better sounding speakers
  • Electrically adjustable passenger seats
  • Front camera (Superb)
  • Cooled seats (Superb)
  • USB port in IRVM (Octavia)
  • Wireless charger
  • TPMS
  • 6 airbags instead of 8
From what I gather, it does have TPMS
troika is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:01   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
I am adding this car in my list of choices. The choices are still very limited for me.

X1 (20d xLine):

Tucson (Diesel AT HTrac):

Tiguan (DSG 4Motion):

The dilemma continues…
Finally my wait is over and ended with a 2018 BMW X1 20d xLine (pre-owned). I will post the detail in a suitable X1 thread (searching).

I have done a Chennai - Bangalore - Chennai trip last weekend. The ride quality of X1 is in between Tucson (best) and Tiguan (stiff). My family (2) enjoyed the ride and comfort at rear. The rear seat of X1 is much suitable for 2 while Tucson and Tiguan are giving some additional space to accommodate a 3rd person. Interior ambiance is better in X1 (beige) compared to Tucson and Tiguan (black). On highway, X1 is a fun to drive car. Inside city, I enjoyed driving Tiguan more than other 2 cars.
vijayk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:14   #67
BHPian

Forget customer’s confusion with Tiguan & Taigun. Even VW’s Instagram handle is confused with the names
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-ef6e35e322f84aabbbbb9d0be9954c0d.jpeg  

karan0009 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 17:40   #68
VND
BHPian

Does the new Tiguan have onboard navigation like Allspace?
Old 6th January 2022, 19:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VND View Post
Does the new Tiguan have onboard navigation like Allspace?
Yes , it does have navigation.
troika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 14:02   #70
BHPian

This thread has gone deathly quiet after the price and feature list reveal. Is anyone still seriously considering this car or has purchased it? Would love to get your thoughts on how the test drive went and what options you were considering.

Like many of you I had crossed it off my list without even a test drive. Nothing destroys interest in a car more than comments about its drive being bone jarring

However, with the recent Kodiaq price reveal, this car suddenly started to make a lot of sense. Purely in terms of price, it is much better positioned than the Kodiaq between the Seltos/Cretas and the X1/XC40s. Although it is missing some expected kit (powered passenger seat, branded audio system, wireless charging and wireless Carplay) they are not deal breakers.

The Tiguan's closest rival, the Jeep Compass, inexplicably still has fit and finish issues months after launch along with a confused engine. Thus, there still are not many options (compact 5 seater SUV) available in this price range.
Old 16th January 2022, 17:32   #71
BHPian

I intended to post on this thread today. Yesterday I posted a brief comparison of Tiguan to Kodiaq which can be accessed here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5236807 (Scoop! Skoda Kodiaq Facelift prices leaked. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 34.99 lakh)

I currently own Vento 1.2 TSI from 2016 and in the market to buy an SUV for the family of 4 adults and 1 child. This would be in addition to Vento.

Jeep Compass was a serious contender, but when I read and experienced rattles, it was off the list. I really get annoyed by the rattles in my car, call me silly but for this reason, I don't even keep those thermos bottles in the bottle holder.

Coming to Tiguan, while I wont go out of my way and say it was a great experience and I love the car, but to sum up, it was what I was expecting. Pictures and videos somehow seriously does not justify the ambience / interiors of Tiguan, you really have to see it in person, it definitely looks and feel premium.

The drive - It wasn't as much fun like an Octavia, nor I was expecting it to, but still very impressive. The engine and gearbox combination is a gem and felt very composed at 3 digit speed. Undulation did not make its way into the cabin. Steering lacks the feel but weighs up nicely when you speed. North of 30km/hr, suspension behaves beautifully dealing with bumps and pot holes, and at slow speeds, its acceptable. Coming from Vento, I really cant tell much difference on speed bumps. Also, I asked the Sales person to drive slow on a bad stretch of road so I can feel the suspension from the back seat, must say I thought I would be tossed around, and to my surprise, I was comfortable. Nutshell, very impressive and expected drive experience.

Interiors - Post watching ton of videos on YouTube, me and the missus were disappointed. But when we saw it in person, were pleasantly surprised. We are looking for a darker interiors in our next car, and this one looks nice. In terms of dashboard layout, I love the way Jeep compass model S looks, but I could see Tiguan interiors growing on me. In my comparison post, I have listed that I will thoroughly miss the wireless carplay, but I heard Belkin will launch the dongle soon that will take care of this issue. Cabin felt really spacious for our needs, from the headroom, to the shoulder room, and the leg space, no concerns at all, infact very happy with it. Jeep compass felt cramped from the back seat. In the entire test drive, my daughter kept staring at the sky and the skyscrapers is when I realized I need panoramic sunroof. Overall, I like it.

Infotainment, Digital cockpit, Speakers - These days I like the floating infotainment vs the integrated. Infotainment was atleast 2 inch smaller than the market standards, even for cars under 20lacs, hence was disappointed. Infotainment is very slick and quick to respond. I experienced the wired Apple carplay and it was ok, no complains, but wont match the look and feel of Jeep Compass infotainment.
Digital cockpit was easy to operate with the steering mounted controls, screen resolution was amazing, tons of information available, I will go out of my way to say that this cockpit is the best one I have experienced for cars under 50lacs.
8 speaker sound system is loud, does not distort, has a nice bass. If I rate Jeep Compass model S 9 speaker Alpine sound system 9/10, this one is for sure is 8/10 (and I felt it is same for the Kodiaq). My personal favorite in this segment is the one in Jeep Compass model S. At first, I was not impressed, but when I set up the equalizer to my liking, viola! I played various genres and all sounded well.

Practicality - From the driver's seat, ergonomics is good, seats were comfortable, enough storage compartments. As I stated in my other post, I like the front passenger folding backrest function.

Things I will miss if I were to buy -
Ventilated seats - I first experienced it in Seltos couple years back and I loved it. But I'm ready to live without it
Wireless Apple carplay and Android music - Sad part is, if I were to buy now, and they launch the 9 inch infotainment next year with this feature, I will really regret it. VW - You have this tech in the outgoing model outside India since last few years, why would you not bring it?
Rear Window blinds - Since the magnetic ones are part of Essential accessory that will come with the car, I'm ok with it. Though I would have loved to not carry that, I guess I will keep them on the rear parcel tray (hope it does not rattle else it's a waste)
Physical knob for Climate control - Calling it out, but not a dealbreaker for me
The looks of Kodiaq - Boy it (Kodiaq) looks handsome. I smile everytime I look at it.

Now the decision making - Though I can stretch for X1 or GLA, I really struggle to what it has to offer more than Kodiaq and Tiguan except for that image. There are no real deal breaker for me with Tiguan and it feels like a right upgrade from my Vento. What I'm stuck with is - between the Kodiaq and the Tiguan. Mind out rightly suggest Tiguan, though I really love the styling of Kodiaq. But is it worth 9lacs more, probably not. I will keep you all posted.
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 13:25   #72
BHPian

Just an update - Have gone ahead and booked the Tiguan. Going for 4+2 on the warranty, and 4 years service package for the peace of mind. I really like the additionals that comes with "Must Have Pack" for 30k and is listed in the brochure. In addition to that, will sure go ahead with Metal Pedals which is additional 8 thousand - it really enhances the look.
No discounts, dealer is checking if loyalty discount can be offered but has not confirmed. I think they are open to negotiate and price match the insurance, though not confirmed.
37.85 lacs (incl. the must have pack) plus 1.5lacs for 4+2 Warranty and 4years service pack.

Regarding the color - I have picked pure white, but leaning towards Oryx white.
Jangra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 14:16   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post

Now the decision making - Though I can stretch for X1 or GLA, I really struggle to what it has to offer more than Kodiaq and Tiguan except for that image. There are no real deal breaker for me with Tiguan and it feels like a right upgrade from my Vento. What I'm stuck with is - between the Kodiaq and the Tiguan. Mind out rightly suggest Tiguan, though I really love the styling of Kodiaq. But is it worth 9lacs more, probably not. I will keep you all posted.
It is a wise decision. I was on the same boat when I bought Tiguan. I thought Tiguan was a more practical offering at a better price point. Important factors favoring my considerations were AWD and 3 zone climate control in Tiguan. 4+ years and I haven't regretted a bit. Tiguan vs Kodiaq is a tough one. Stick to Tiguan unless you want 7 seats. At least you know it is true German.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 14:39   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the rear seat leg room in the Tiguan. One thing my family really likes in the Allspace is the massive rear seat leg rooms- even behind my own driving position. The Kodiaq would presumably offer the same - but I was wondering if the short wheel Base Tiguan would be more akin to the X3 - viz not bad but not great either.
Old 17th January 2022, 15:10   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
How is the rear seat leg room in the Tiguan. One thing my family really likes in the Allspace is the massive rear seat leg rooms- even behind my own driving position. The Kodiaq would presumably offer the same - but I was wondering if the short wheel Base Tiguan would be more akin to the X3 - viz not bad but not great either.
Behind my driving position (I'm 5,10') I found the rear seat in Tiguan to be slightly roomier than the one in Kodiaq both in terms of leg room and head room.

Most Viewed