Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 16:53   #76
BHPian

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
It is a wise decision. I was on the same boat when I bought Tiguan. I thought Tiguan was a more practical offering at a better price point. Important factors favoring my considerations were AWD and 3 zone climate control in Tiguan. 4+ years and I haven't regretted a bit. Tiguan vs Kodiaq is a tough one. Stick to Tiguan unless you want 7 seats. At least you know it is true German.
Agree with @sj_koova. I too didn't find the Kodiaq giving me anything beyond Tiguan to justify the additional cost. In fact Tiguan was better to drive and after 3+ years and close to 54K on the odo the interior looks as fresh as it was when I bought it. Thanks to the all black seats
raz0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 19:50   #77
BHPian

To the pre-facelift Tiguan owners - Can you help with the cost of 4 years ownership from the service perspective. Want to know whether 75K is worth it for that 4 year service pack. Mod - I couldn't find this information available in one place in the pre-facelift Tiguan thread

@Hayek - Re: the Autohold function in Tiguan All-space, when it engages, does the cockpit display reflects "D1 / S1" or N?
Old 18th January 2022, 09:57   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
To the pre-facelift Tiguan owners - Can you help with the cost of 4 years ownership from the service perspective. Want to know whether 75K is worth it for that 4 year service pack. Mod - I couldn't find this information available in one place in the pre-facelift Tiguan thread

@Hayek - Re: the Autohold function in Tiguan All-space, when it engages, does the cockpit display reflects "D1 / S1" or N?
For the diesel Tiguan the first 2 years service cost around 20-21 K each. The 3rd one will cost around 10-11 K more (31-32K) and the 4th one at 60K should be around 35 - 38 K (not sure as I am due in a few thousand kms). So going by this if they include all that's needed during 3rd and 4th year namely transmission oil in 3rd and DSG oil in 4th in the 75 K for 4 years then yes it's worth it. Otherwise I guess the benefit isn't too huge.
raz0405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 10:20   #79

I booked the Tiguan about a week ago, wanted to share my experience with you guys.
I specifically wanted to go for a 5-seater SUV in the 30-40lacs price band, naturally there were two options: Tucson and the Tiguan.

I test drove the Tucson (luckily they had the 4WD GLS) in late December and it felt very laid back and refined. The steering wheel didn't feel like it was meant for a premium car and overall, the interior felt a bit dated. The rear seats are comfortable and I loved that the front passenger seat had 8-way adjust as well. The driver's seat felt comfortable and the driving position felt pretty high as well.
The car never felt heavy as such and the engine was smooth,packed a good punch as well. Cabin was quiet during my ride, no road or engine noises, car handles bumps well. I genuinely don't know why the Tucson didn't sell more in India, it's definitely a great car and it looks fantastic as well.
The on-road price came around 33lacs and delivery was expected around mid-January. Naturally, I waited to test drive the Tiguan.

Now the Tiguan didn't catch my eye when it was launched, thought it looked a bit dull and the wheels didn't help this one bit. When I saw the car in real life, it looked far better than the pictures on the internet. The test drive car was in Nightshade(?) Blue and it looked sharp. The interior felt way more premium and refined than the Tucson, thanks to the digital cockpit and the Infotainment System felt and bit laggy,in my opinion.
Rear seats felt slightly wider and lower than those of the Tucson and were at par in terms of comfort.
No electrically adjustable front passenger seats in the Tiguan though. Great driving position, the adjustable headrests were a nice touch.The car just glides on the road at speeds above 60. The engine and gearbox combo are phenomenal, it is just more refined in terms of ride quality.The suspension is a bit stiff but it handles bumpy roads well.
The on-road price came to around 38.2 lacs and expected delivery around Feb 1st week.

Now after driving both the cars, I was left wondering if the 5 lac price difference was worth it. Tucson did feel more VFM but, the interior looked way too dated and old and a new model launch is on the horizon. The only major gripe I had with the Tiguan was its wheels but other than that, it seemed like the logical choice.

So last week I finally decided to go for the Tiguan and opted for the Deep Black colour scheme. Looking forward to bring it home now!
MohanPyare is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 13:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohanPyare View Post
I booked the Tiguan about a week ago, wanted to share my experience with you guys.
Congratulations!

Quote:
Now the Tiguan didn't catch my eye when it was launched, thought it looked a bit dull and the wheels didn't help this one bit. When I saw the car in real life, it looked far better than the pictures on the internet. The test drive car was in Nightshade(?) Blue and it looked sharp. The interior felt way more premium and refined than the Tucson,

This was my observation as well which I called out too. It really is a night and day difference between the video review and seeing in person

Quote:
Infotainment System felt and bit laggy,in my opinion.
Is this about Tiguan's infotainment? If you compare it to the likes of Jeep Compass, agree its not that fluid / quick, but not by far. But it is definately superior to the one in Kodiaq which is laggy and will take some getting used to

Quote:
The on-road price came to around 38.2 lacs and expected delivery around Feb 1st week.
Let us know if your dealer price match the insurance

Quote:
The only major gripe I had with the Tiguan was its wheels but other than that, it seemed like the logical choice.

So last week I finally decided to go for the Tiguan and opted for the Deep Black colour scheme. Looking forward to bring it home now!
Agree on the wheels, post looking at reviews from UK, I really like the wheels they offer in elegance and R-line. This will be on my cards for mid-life upgrade. I went with Oryx white, but the black one looks classy. Keep us posted on the delivery.
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:09   #81

Quote:
Is this about Tiguan's infotainment? If you compare it to the likes of Jeep Compass, agree its not that fluid / quick, but not by far. But it is definately superior to the one in Kodiaq which is laggy and will take some getting used to
Grammatical error on my end, sorry for that. The Infotainment System feels fine, it's the Digital Cluster that feels a bit sluggish while using it. I think it's something that'll take getting used to.

Quote:
Agree on the wheels, post looking at reviews from UK, I really like the wheels they offer in elegance and R-line. This will be on my cards for mid-life upgrade. I went with Oryx white, but the black one looks classy. Keep us posted on the delivery.
I feel that the rims will grow on me too, the UK-spec ones look sharp though, it's a shame VW decided to cut corners here.
I was going to go for the Dolphin Grey colour initially, but my wife did not like it, so went for black.

Will definitely keep you guys posted on the delivery!

Last edited by MohanPyare : 18th January 2022 at 15:39. Reason: grammar, again.
MohanPyare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 17:27   #82

Great to see the thread active. Would appreciate if members here can keep updating regarding the starting of deliveries and their view on going for the extended service package (extended warranty being a no brainer).

Am sure all have read many reviews on the Tiguan and I can’t add much, thought of sharing how I concluded on going for the Tiguan basis my needs (and making peace with its price and contribution to the coffers of central & state government – 48% GST/ 19% Karnataka road tax)

Our needs:
• Lots of space – I am a cyclist and take my bike on long trips, just became a dad and that means even more stuff to take along
• Crunching highway miles – Live in Bengaluru, parents stay in Goa, would like to use it to go to various places in the Nilgiris

What I like about the Tiguan
• German build, refined engine, great transmission, very good noise damping inside the cabin
• Boot space/ lot of flexibility on how we want to use it
• Clean aesthetic, looks smart in person

What would I have liked:
• Wireless apple car play & wireless charging
• Better alloys – Even though designs are subjective, they seemed to universally disliked!

What I am fine with
• Black interiors, finish is good, sunroof makes the cabin very airy, things should age well
• Infotainment screen smaller for its class – Once I set things to my preference I don’t really play around much
• Unbranded speakers, they sounded fine (I am not an audiophile)
• Fuel economy; for this kind of power & it having a turbo petrol engine
• Digital AC control and not having ventilated seats

What I don’t like
• Lack of information from VW/ Dealer at all legs, period. Clearly its me wanting to buy the car. The SA gave me a confirmation that the billing would happen by 5th Jan and then has been pushing the date to 15th Jan and last gave me a date of 22nd Jan. Still have not got details on the service & warranty package after calling umpteen times. Did the test drive at a different dealership (buying via dealer that is preferred by the Car Lease company) - the SA who sat along me in the test drive had little idea about the car. For someone who loves the VW brand – felt really bad

Other considerations (or not)
• Jeep compass – Great interiors but lacked space. Testing the Jeep made me go beyond a Creta - Taigun in terms of budget. Really loved the cabin
• Hyundai Tuscon – The cabin was too dated for a car that I will keep for the next 10 years. Had the new Tuscon come, high chance I would have gone for it. Am sure it is going to be a little cheaper than Tiguan, not a fan of its looks though
• Skoda Kodiaq – We are a small family, the premium for the additional boot space was too much
• BMW X1 – Did not meet functional requirements (low on space), respect the brand and the premium it commands so never thought of pushing my budget further
• Citron C5 – Low risk appetite for a new brand & network

Thanks, look forward for updates by all.

Regards,
M
milam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 12:40   #83
BHPian

Hi All,
This is going to be my first post on Team BHP. Long time admirer, first time writer.

Here are my impressions of my test drives (3 of them over a period of 3 weeks) of the New Tiguan.

Background:To upgrade my current Verna 1.6sx petrol which is now 8 years old primarily for family use which comprises of 4 adults and occasional 3rd person.

Alternate rides - Polo GT 1.2TSI - city car, quick trips to the coffee land now and then. Santro which is the all purpose car for everything.

I was awaiting the New Tiguan launch as I had driven the older allspace a few times and always thought that the 5 seater Tiguan is perfect for me in terms of size alone. Already having a VW for a few years was aware of the running costs, service network etc (have a good experience with my Dealer so far)

1. To be honest was disappointed with the launch that and it was the elegance version on sale and not the R Line. To add to this the entire launch process and the marketing material felt a lot to be desired especially for a flag ship car for the brand in the country. Even the Taigun had more hoopla around the launch. Despite this, wanted to see the car in person.
2. Called my regular advisor and he promptly asked me to come check out the car the next day and organized for a long test drive.
I went in with pretty low expectations, but the minute I sat in the car was proved wrong.
The fit and finish was top class. The build was solid as expected, and the lights looked lovely.
I know the car had about 6 out of the 10 things it should probably have had but all the 6 things were executed very well and felt just of high quality.
Things I liked:
The lights ( really awesome at night)
The fit and finish of the seats
The Infotainment system although not large was very crisp, quick and intuitive. The digital cluster was a joy to use.
The tint on the windows was very well done and blocked the sun and heat to a large degree
The rear leg room was ample and seats were wide and felt like a really really nice place to sit in. The sunroof (tinted) also brought in enough sun to make it feel good.
The engine was just a joy to drive in the city and on the airport expressway. Really did feel like hatchback.
The ride comfort was totally acceptable. Did try a short off-road mode as well and was a pretty good change in handling when put in this mode.
Audio (checked with SA is a Harmon Kardon setup with a sub although not publicized)
But by far the best feature was the noise insulation. Absolutely top class, especially in a city like Bangalore is a must have to cut out all the honking and other sounds.

Drawbacks:
Passenger seat is manual (why VW WHY)
Lack of good to have features such as wireless car play. Not a big fan of wireless charging anyway so not too bothered about that.
Choice of alloys.
They should come up with a luxury pack aka xuv and offer these if they feel it adds to the cost of car especially now that kodiaq is priced so high.

Conclusion:
All in all I went in with low expectations but came out with a smile on my face based on the drive.
There are things that would have made me a completely happy camper if included but I guess I can make my peace with them. Especially considering the way prices of cars are sky rocketing these days and expected to go further north (what you get Vs what you pay)
Side note: Did test drive the skoda cars. Although they have more tech and features felt that there overall quality did not match up to the cousins (VW). Especially the quality of the seats/plastics and the screen smoothness and clarity. Did not warrant the extra 7 lakhs for the kodiaq for me especially that I don’t need a 7th row.
The superb was a close contender, but felt that I have few more years to go before I get chauffeured driven.
I would really urge people considering a car in this price range to test drive the cars to see things in person and not rely solely on the reviews. I watched almost every single video there is of the the three cars super, kodiaq and Tiguan. Like others have said the Tiguan is much better in person than on the videos.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:14   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milam View Post
Great to see the thread active. Would appreciate if members here can keep updating regarding the starting of deliveries and their view on going for the extended service package (extended warranty being a no brainer).
Welcome to the Team-BHP
Have you booked the car yet? I have booked mine little over a week before and have been informed by my dealer that they were only allocated one car in January for delivery. They are hoping for increased allocation Feb onwards (next date is 10-Feb), doubt if my wait ends then.
Out of curiosity - which color did you go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
Hi All,
This is going to be my first post on Team BHP. Long time admirer, first time writer.
That was me as well. Welcome to Team-BHP.
My sentiment of Tiguan is very similar to yours.
Jangra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 20:19   #85

Quote:
Welcome to the Team-BHP
Have you booked the car yet?

Out of curiosity - which color did you go for?
Booked on 23rd Dec (via Car Lease), understand the dealer has ~30 bookings

Color: Black Pearl

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd January 2022 at 20:56. Reason: fixed the quote tags. thanks.
milam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:46   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Audio (checked with SA is a Harmon Kardon setup with a sub although not publicized)
I do not believe that to be accurate - would love it to be though. If there was a sub - where is it placed exactly? It is definitely not in the trunk. Searching online I see that HK offers a 8 speaker 400+W sound system - my ears would never have believed that during the test drive. The audio system is good but definitely does not match up to the 12 speaker 625W Canton in the Kodiaq.

I think VW dealers love to say all their cars have a Harmon Kardon system. When I went to see the T-Roc the SA was 100% certain that it too had a Harmon Kardon system. I remember looking at the VW UK site and the only branded system the T-Roc comes with is Beats Audio.
solaris007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 06:09   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
I do not believe that to be accurate - would love it to be though. If there was a sub - where is it placed exactly? It is definitely not in the trunk. Searching online I see that HK offers a 8 speaker 400+W sound system - my ears would never have believed that during the test drive. The audio system is good but definitely does not match up to the 12 speaker 625W Canton in the Kodiaq.

I think VW dealers love to say all their cars have a Harmon Kardon system. When I went to see the T-Roc the SA was 100% certain that it too had a Harmon Kardon system. I remember looking at the VW UK site and the only branded system the T-Roc comes with is Beats Audio.
Could very well be true what you are saying. I was looking for validation for the same. And I agree with you the kodiaq is a far better audio system. But not unhappy with what the Tiguan has to offer (Atleast for now)
Old 24th January 2022, 12:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Could very well be true what you are saying. I was looking for validation for the same. And I agree with you the kodiaq is a far better audio system. But not unhappy with what the Tiguan has to offer (Atleast for now)
If you have time - I would recommend waiting for the updated Tucson to arrive and then deciding between the two. Especially if badge is a non-issue and the requirement is strictly for a compact semi-luxury 5-seater SUV.

Here is a good comparison video I found between the two:

While the reviewer crowns the Tiguan as the victor, do note there is a major caveat - the comparison is between an under specced Tucson and a top of the line R-line Tiguan. The Tucson will most likely come with all the bells and whistles when it does finally arrive at our shores. More importantly, it will likely to come with the punchy 2L diesel engine option.
solaris007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
If you have time - I would recommend waiting for the updated Tucson to arrive and then deciding between the two. Especially if badge is a non-issue and the requirement is strictly for a compact semi-luxury 5-seater SUV.

Here is a good comparison video I found between the two:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=QXlsVacjQAQ

While the reviewer crowns the Tiguan as the victor, do note there is a major caveat - the comparison is between an under specced Tucson and a top of the line R-line Tiguan. The Tucson will most likely come with all the bells and whistles when it does finally arrive at our shores. More importantly, it will likely to come with the punchy 2L diesel engine option.
Very sound advice. I also have this line of thought before I confirm my choice. But generally having owned both Hyundai and VW cars for a good few years, prefer VW cars as I feel they are built very well. Nothing against Hyundai cars they are just lovey cars to have as well especially the service and upkeep experience. Checked with the Hyundai dealer in BLR with whom I have bought (4 cars in the last 12 years) but they are totally clueless about the Tucson launch (presumably a tactic to offload exiting stock of the old Tucson?).
But I see spy pics everywhere so not very sure how long it’s gonna be.
Old 24th January 2022, 13:02   #90
BHPian

So I checked both the Tiguan and Kodiaq last weekend.

Tiguan was in black shade. I asked for test drive which they readily agreed as there was absolutely no queue for the same. Few inputs from my side:
- The car was in basement and the matrix lights look amazing.
- The rear lights also look really nice and they have some sort of animation
- The car somehow did not give me SUV feeling and felt low
- Interior though premium, did not feel wow (maybe due to black interiors)
- Somehow the car missed 40L+ feel even from outside. It def looked premium but did not justify 40L price tag in Bangalore
- I was expecting better initial pickup/response when you press accelerator slightly but then it does do well
- I did take car over not so perfect roads and it was fine. Not as plush as some of Korean twins but not as bad as well.
- The panoramic sunroof let in lot of light and make cabin feel better

On the other hand, The Kodiaq L&K version was in Graphite Grey and it is one handsome car. From first sight, you do get that premium feel.I did not get a chance to test drive that day. The interiors looked much plush and just more airy even from rear seat. I loved the recline angle as well. The knobs, dashboard, layout all gave much more premium feel at least to me over the Tiguan. The last row is a strict no and the SA mentioned multiple times that it is only for small kids and please do not even try going there. He also reiterated few times that Skoda does not advertise it as 7 seater due to this. This car should be more looked upon as 5 seater with extra boot space. The last row is strictly for emergency and only small kids and that too a short distance. I feel this is due to the extra luggage space they have tried to give even with last row up. The waiting period is about 4 months and when asked about price hike, he said no official news at this point. I somehow would go for L&K if had the budget but there is a huge premium you are paying over Tiguan.

Overall, I did not get that wow feeling in Tiguan (for 40L+ car) and have taken it off my list for now and waiting for next generation Tucson.
neel911 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed