Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2022, 09:26   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun_to_drive View Post
Does anyone know if we can enable Coasting feature in modes other than Eco ?
You can customise a mode to your liking in the Individual profile. Select the Drive as eco, and rest of the options to your liking. As for me, coasting wouldn’t make sense in lets say Sport mode, as there wouldn’t be any engine braking. These profiles can also be altered using VCDS.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 11:25   #812
BHPian

Congratulations on the Kodiaq! I had always thought, what an overpriced car, why not simply go for the Q3? That changed when i saw one in flesh. Man, it gives a tough competition to X3/Q5 in terms of size and is very premium. The only grouse being high priced and deleting features compared to international variants.

The XUV700 petrol manual is a gem if you are not insistent on 4x4. I have driven it 2 times till now just for the heck of it and loved the smoothness and gearbox, and the lusty pull in 3rd gear crossing 100 kmph. The diesel too was not bad, considering my background is a 2013 Scorpio on which i learnt to drive. It was waaay smoother than that, but the first gear notchy feeling was consistent like my car. Would have been a good buy, considering theyre ironing out the issues pretty fast.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 13:14   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Congratulations on the Kodiaq! I had always thought, what an overpriced car, why not simply go for the Q3? That changed when i saw one in flesh. Man, it gives a tough competition to X3/Q5 in terms of size and is very premium. The only grouse being high priced and deleting features compared to international variants.

The XUV700 petrol manual is a gem if you are not insistent on 4x4. I have driven it 2 times till now just for the heck of it and loved the smoothness and gearbox, and the lusty pull in 3rd gear crossing 100 kmph. The diesel too was not bad, considering my background is a 2013 Scorpio on which i learnt to drive. It was waaay smoother than that, but the first gear notchy feeling was consistent like my car. Would have been a good buy, considering theyre ironing out the issues pretty fast.
Totally agree on the XUV700 being a great value with awesome drivablity. But i didn't find the bootspace to be enough with 3 rows up, 4x4 was a must for me, and the music system was only good nothing great. The Audi Q3 technology variant costs 58.5 lakhs on-road with same engine, lesser seats and 25% less features than Kodiaq.
Fun_to_drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 13:28   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You can customise a mode to your liking in the Individual profile. Select the Drive as eco, and rest of the options to your liking. As for me, coasting wouldn’t make sense in lets say Sport mode, as there wouldn’t be any engine braking. These profiles can also be altered using VCDS.
Just to make sure i understand the Coasting feature correctly- With 'coasting' when you reach a speed of about 60/70kmph and take your feet off from accelerator and brakes, the car uses its momentum while decelerating, disengages the gears and puts it in 'N' mode to save fuel. But in 'eco' mode as the pickup is lethargic, building that momentum becomes a task. Hence i would wish to drive the car in 'normal/sport' mode to build that momentum to about 80kmph quickly, and then utilise the momentum to 'coast' to save fuel in the same normal/sports mode. That would give the best of both worlds. Like the way we are able to use 'Auto start/stop' feature in normal mode also other than the 'Eco' mode.
Old 16th November 2022, 15:18   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That would give the best of both worlds. Like the way we are able to use 'Auto start/stop' feature in normal mode also other than the 'Eco' mode.
Unfortunately thats not possible even with individual mode. When you select the 'Drive' profile as eco, the pick up will be slightly lethargic. Your display will show the gears as E-1,2, etc. Although I found the acceleration pretty normal in E mode as well. Coasting will happen at any speed and gear, as soon as you lift off the accelerator. I recommend using it only on the highways when it is possible to predict your braking point and lift off point accordingly. In the city, it becomes irritating as there is absolutely zero engine braking happening. Also don't recommend coasting in downhill ghat roads.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 18:31   #816
BHPian

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun_to_drive
I went for ‘premium shield self healing ppf’ which costed me 1.9 lacs and the car returned 3 days later.
2 Lakh on paint protection?

My FNG with full insurance tie up along with proper paint booth charges like 50-60k for full car denting painting for Audi A4 type & size vehicles. That includes full strip down of the car, rust repair (if any) from inside out.

Result is as good as factory finish. You have to see it to believe, when done right, it's not possible to spot any difference !!

Pardon me, I really don't want to spoil your new car experience. This car indeed is a dream car of many but just asking in general, 2 Lakh on just paint protection? Is it really justifiable? or is it a scam?

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 11:11   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Hello,

My FNG with full insurance tie up along with proper paint booth charges like 50-60k for full car denting painting for Audi A4 type & size vehicles. That includes full strip down of the car, rust repair (if any) from inside out.

Result is as good as factory finish. You have to see it to believe, when done right, it's not possible to spot any difference !!

Pardon me, I really don't want to spoil your new car experience. This car indeed is a dream car of many but just asking in general, 2 Lakh on just paint protection? Is it really justifiable? or is it a scam?

Thanks.
It’s a great question and l will try and give an honest answer. Up until this point, I’ve owned 5 cars but mainly in the mid segment range, like Swifts, Ford Aspire and Ecosport. I had never even considered going for a ppf/ceramic/Teflon coating as I found them to be expensive and not worthy when comparing to a full paint job. One of the reasons for going for Kodiaq was how it looked in Lava blue and I wish to keep it looking as new for as long as possible. When I enquired about a potential re-paint job for the car from reputed workshops, I got verbal estimates which were close to 1 lac rupees, and even then, it will at best be a close match and not the original. I don’t think we should look at ppf vs a paint job, the real comparison should be between PPF vs the ‘cost of doing nothing’. Let me explain.

There are many things like swirl marks, gravel/stone chips on bumpers, scratches due to bags, purses, carelessly handled luggage , bird shit, poor cleaning with a dry cloth. All these make the car look dull and old. And for most of these we rarely think about repainting or repairing them. Similarly in interiors of kodiaq there are a lot of piano black elements which can get scratched easily and make it look dull. So I thought it was worth protecting both the exterior and interiors to keep it looking fresh and new for as long as possible.

The PPF Selection

There were a few workshops who were willing to do the ppf in less than 1 lac as well. But the grey market is huge in this trade and only a few players you can actually trust. Things which were important to me were – 1. Genuine ppf product (getting what you are paying for). 2- Reputed workmanship (the most important aspect) 3. A safe environment for the vehicle handling. I compared the prices with two of the best workshops in NCR and I got almost the same quote. There were multiple options in PPF namely Garware(for 1.5 lacs), Llumar(1.8 lacs), Xpel premium(2.1 lacs). All these are self healing ppfs, but they require heat of either sunlight, hairdryer or hot water to make the scratches disappear. I went for “Premium shield” ppf which is basically same as Llumar but doesn’t require heat to heal the surface. The full body ppf, including interior dash, piano black surfaces, screens , ceramic coats on all alloys coasted me 1.9 lacs.

Is it worth it ?

I hope it is, but only time will tell. I am happy with the peace of mind that I have and I’ve been driving on bad broken roads , but so far haven’t noticed a single scratch- touchwood. But is paying 1.9 lac rupees for it worth it ? Its subjective but probably not , I think I paid about 45k more than what I should have but that’s the cost of learning in the process.

Will I recommend

Considering what I know now and given a choice to do it again , would I do it ? Absolutely yes, for the peace of mind. But I would go for the Garware ppf, its value for money, almost as good as the premium brands and gets the job done.
Fun_to_drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 12:07   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Hello,

2 Lakh on just paint protection? Is it really justifiable? or is it a scam?

Thanks.

PPF is a colossal waste of money. Just get scratches and dents repaired with insurance when they happen and for swirl marks, get a full interior and exterior detailing for around 10k rupees done every year. Car looks new.
evil_grin is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 15:37   #819

Congrats on your new car. You said in your post that you were getting a deal of 65.5 on Audi Q5 which retails for around 80 for the technology trim. Was the dealer quoting 13 14 lakhs less for that one? Seems to be a great discount!
Old 19th November 2022, 08:14   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreep View Post
Congrats on your new car. You said in your post that you were getting a deal of 65.5 on Audi Q5 which retails for around 80 for the technology trim. Was the dealer quoting 13 14 lakhs less for that one? Seems to be a great discount!
Exactly, thats why it was really tempting. But only on selected colors. The sales team didn't close fast enough, but it would ve been a stretch for me . A part of me still wonders though.
Fun_to_drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 17:21   #821

@Fun_to_Drive I compared the prices with two of the best workshops in NCR and I got almost the same quote

Can you please share reference of the shop you got ppf from? I need to do the same.
Old 20th November 2022, 20:06   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carObari View Post
@Fun_to_Drive I compared the prices with two of the best workshops in NCR and I got almost the same quote

Can you please share reference of the shop you got ppf from? I need to do the same.
I got it done from TRAUTO. I also considered ALWAYSDRY as well. Both are good and relaible.
Fun_to_drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 21:12   #823
BHPian

Can someone advise me about the run in period for Kodiaq ? I 've been driving it relatively sedately till now, with occasional spirited runs. I ve done close to 1500kms so far, at what point can i start having fun with it and use "sports" as my primary mode?
Old 21st November 2022, 21:40   #824
BANNED

Quote:
Can someone advise me about the run in period for Kodiaq ? I 've been driving it relatively sedately till now, with occasional spirited runs. I ve done close to 1500kms so far, at what point can i start having fun with it and use "sports" as my primary mode?
So the run in is complete. You can go full ham now. Enjoy
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:53   #825
d.j
BHPian

Quote:
The smooth road to Lava Blue LnK- Kodiaq
hey congrats for the new car - I never heard of the paid car consultancy, how does it work, if you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge? plus, do they offer further insights on the commercials as well? example - how much a particular car model got sold at a dealer etc, etc - I am just curious to know how valuable or useful it can be for someone who at a place is just short of time to find by himself/herself

Regards/DJ

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2022 at 05:07. Reason: Quote tag fixed
d.j is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed