Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:13   #91
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

I have been checking YouTube every day hoping someone would post a good walk around video of the Sportline variant and looks like 10th time's the charm.

Here is the first Indian made video of the car:

Absolutely drool worthy. Those alloys are just so damn cool looking. The blacked out grill is a beauty. Not a big fan of the Alcantara seats though - kind of cheapens the car, they should have been full leather. I am not ashamed to say that I have watched the video over 20 times.
solaris007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 03:38   #92

The way Skoda has placed the features list of their variants, almost feel like they want buyers to stretch their pockets if they can to go in for the L&K variant. For me a 360deg camera, ventilated seats and TPMS are a must have. Only the L&K would give me all 3. I can't believe after narrowing down my car shortlist to the compass model S, I decided to wait for the Tiguan which was a bummer ! The Kodiaq was always a second option for me due to its size as my use is mainly in the city. But the feature list on the L&K has got me super interested ! Was really hoping for the massage seats to make their way here too (although not a must have.. more like a good to have). Saw them in the UK/US reviews. Infact, when I saw pictures of the sport variant with it's black bucket seats I almost fist pumped in celebration ! But now with the L&K variant costing close to 46-47L on road Gurgaon, it brings in a totally new price bracket which makes me reconsider the XC40 !

Researching for almost 3 months now to the point of exhaustion. I now feel the under 35lac bracket is a really confusing one to be in.
Karuz16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 14:41   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The updates to the Kodiaq are pretty good. I'm pleasantly surprised to see DCC there.

The L&K has got a good bump in features but the Style is actually down on features vs the older car.

As always I will go for the Sportline even with the lesser features only cause of no chrome on the outside and the all black cabin. Just as I got the Scout last time over the L&K just for the interiors.

For anyone interested here is the list of features removed in the new Kodiaq vs the older one:

1. Only 1 blanket instead of 2
2. Only 1 umbrella instead of 2
3. No net for storage in passenger footwell
4. No felt carpet lining in small cubby hole below steering
5. Door red light when opening deleted and replaced with reflectors
6. Torch from boot removed
7. Laurin and Klement embroidered stitching removed from rear seats (only front)
8. Boot carpet over the spare wheel removed.
Can we buy the net for storage in passenger footwell, Torch from boot , Door protectors as an extra accessory ?
Old 23rd January 2022, 14:49   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Only thing is ride quality. Some reviews say that the ride of the Tiguan is pretty stiff and harsh at low speeds like a typical European car. That is a very important factor for our Indian roads. Mumbai has bad patches in entire city! Infact we hardly have good patches! So if you’ve driven both is the Tiguan as bad and is the difference as huge? I know even GTO has pointed that the Tiguan is nowhere as comfy but does it mean Kodiaq is so good or Tiguan is that bad?
I found it totally acceptable. I currently own a Vento, and I couldn't tell the difference in how a Vento behaves vs the Tiguan over a pot hole or a speed bump. But someone who is very particular about the soft suspension should drive it, experience the back seat and decide.
Jangra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 14:50   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Can we buy the net for storage in passenger footwell, Torch from boot , Door protectors as an extra accessory ?
Nopes. The net is fixed to the footwell plastic and you can't add it later on unless you drill some holes or use tape and see if it works.

The torch can't be added cause it's reachargeable and when you place it in the slot it gets charged up. And now there's no charging slot at all.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:58   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
I found it totally acceptable. I currently own a Vento, and I couldn't tell the difference in how a Vento behaves vs the Tiguan over a pot hole or a speed bump. But someone who is very particular about the soft suspension should drive it, experience the back seat and decide.
Great. I too own a Vento 1.6 TDI and an XUV 500. Vento’s ride quality isn’t bad at all. And I kinda thought so that it should be atleast similar to it, knowing VW suspension setup kinda now.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:16   #97
BHPian

I have been in the dilemma of Tiguan vs Kodiaq too.
I did a longish back to back test drive of both today morning. Over bad roads , narrow alleys and a highway like run on the Worli sea face. Here are my observations -
The Tiguan is much more easier to drive in the city. Visibility is much better too. The kodiaq is definitely more difficult to drive, especially in traffic and while parking. Park assist works only in ideal situations.
In the Tiguan, I reduced the tyre pressure from the standard 36 to 32 psi and then the ride quality became much better. It’s still not soft but not jarring and totally acceptable. At speed the car is nimble and corners like a car. The ride quality in the kodiaq in comfort mode is awesome. In sport mode it handles really well too. But not as agile as the Tiguan.
But the cost of replacing those adjustable dampers is going to be really high and they are not covered under warranty or any service package. Unlike regular dampers which last at least 50-60000 kms , these might give in sooner. Can someone shed more light on this ?
The kodiaq engine feels more eager and responsive at low revs. The tiguan needs to be revved a bit more.
The interior quality of the kodiaq is better than the Tiguan. The Tiguan itself has good interiors with a long list of features at par with entry level Luxury cars except the BMW X1 which is not that great. Black interiors work for me.
On paper the the Tiguan has 200 mm vs the kodiaq’s 192 mm of ground clearance. But a few you tube videos say the kodiaq is a better off roader. Maybe others can clarify.
The rear seat space for two adults seems similar in both. I couldn’t test it with three adults.
The additional features and bigger boot space might justify the price difference but in the style variant only. It’s around 4 lakhs more than the Tiguan. The L and K is way too expensive. But if price is not an issue and the usage is not mostly in congested city traffic, the kodiaq L and K is the model to go for. It seems most of the bookings are for the L and K version.
The resale value of the kodiaq will most likely be better than the Tiguan.
I was really tempted to book the kodiaq style but -
Since I drive myself always and most of my usage is in the city with highway runs having only four passengers on board , I am going ahead with the Tiguan. To me it’s the perfect blend of a daily drive , family car and fun to drive tourer with all the features and luxury one needs.
Any suggestions are welcome.
urban legend is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:39   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
To me it’s the perfect blend of a daily drive , family car and fun to drive tourer with all the features and luxury one needs.
If in your place even I would have gone for Tiguan, mainly because I do not need those additional space. Also Tiguan will be more agile than Kodiaq. I really loved the exterior and interiors of Tiguan, though Kodiaq is equally good too. Lack of features in Tiguan is not a deal breaker for me too.
However Skoda is more consistent with their models in India than VW. Other than Fabia, they have not stopped any of their regular models in India. But VW has the history of phasing out lot of products - Jetta, Passat etc.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 21:08   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I have been in the dilemma of Tiguan vs Kodiaq too.
I did a longish back to back test drive of both today morning. Over bad roads , narrow alleys and a highway like run on the Worli sea face. Here are my observations -
The Tiguan is much more easier to drive in the city. Visibility is much better too. The kodiaq is definitely more difficult to drive, especially in traffic and while parking. Park assist works only in ideal situations.
I just posted about my experience in the VW Tiguan page.
I reached a similar conclusion as you as my requirements are quite similar too. The extra features in the kodiaq are not a deal breaker for me especially given that the L&K variant is gonna be 7-8 lakhs more than the Tiguan.
It drives well, is safe has mostly everything I need although I do feel a little shortchanged by VW but I can live with it as the quality of whatever has been offered is really top notch.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2022 at 15:08.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 22:34   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I went and picked up the Kodiaq once VW confirmed the Allspace with 2.0L TSI and no regular Tiguan with 2.0L TSI. If they were getting the smaller Tiguan with 2.0L TSI, I would have waited..
Even though I have gone ahead with my booking of Tiguan, this waiting period and fully refundable booking amount makes you think million times. In my case, the mind is haunted with the choice between Kodiaq and Tiguan, and the answer each time is the saving of 9lacs for an almost similar machine.
My apologies for quoting your post from 2020, but now that smaller Tiguan with 2 TSI is here, with black interiors that you like, what would you have chosen.

Like me, we have many other members here who are puzzled. Your word of wisdom will mean a lot. Thank you

Last edited by Jangra : 23rd January 2022 at 23:04. Reason: Added the post #
Old 24th January 2022, 01:09   #101
BHPian

Quote:
I am going ahead with the Tiguan. To me it’s the perfect blend of a daily drive , family car and fun to drive tourer with all the features and luxury one needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
If in your place even I would have gone for Tiguan, mainly because I do not need those additional space. Also Tiguan will be more agile than Kodiaq. I really loved the exterior and interiors of Tiguan, though Kodiaq is equally good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
It drives well, is safe has mostly everything I need although I do feel a little shortchanged by VW but I can live with it as the quality of whatever has been offered is really top notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangra View Post
My apologies for quoting your post from 2020, but now that smaller Tiguan with 2 TSI is here, with black interiors that you like, what would you have chosen.
Even I have been grappling with the same Tiguan vs Kodiaq question. However, if you compare the Tiguan Elegance variant with the Kodiaq Sportline - for just an additional 4L ex-showroom you get:
1 - Much better Canton Audio System: No contest here. I am not an audiophile but the Tiguan sounds very bland in comparison - a dealbreaker for me. In terms of rating, I would give the Kodiaq - 8.5/10 and the Tiguan - 5/10
2 - More premium black Alcantara interiors: The Tiguan's interiors are ok for a 38L+ car but the Sportline's interiors makes you feel special when you sit inside
3 - Beautiful Alloy wheels: Sorry the Tiguan's alloys are just another deal breaker for me - huge eyesore. It is no surprise that most of VWs product brochures/images show the sweet R-line alloys instead. The Sportline's alloys are something special
4 - Optional 7 seats: Which you can transform into a larger boot when not required
5 - Slightly bigger size: Keep in mind that the 7-seater Kodiaq is just 20cm longer than the 5-seater Tiguan. I have test driven both and while Tiguan does "feel" lighter there really is not much difference in city conditions. Both are big cars and both have to be driven with care
6 - More Creature Comforts: To name a few - wireless Apple Carplay/Android Auto, wireless charging, much better Ambient lighting, passenger side electrically adjustable seats with memory (manual passenger seats on a 38L+ car is blasphemy)
7 - Higher Safety: 9 airbags on the Kodiaq vs 6 on the Tiguan
8 - Higher Resale Value: Remains to be seen but I really doubt the watered down petrol Tiguan will hold its value better than an equipped-to-the-grill Kodiaq

Are the above differences worth the 4L extra? For me, absolutely! This is a car that will be with you for the next 5-6 years - the cost difference impact will just be <75K/year.

The Tiguan is a good car but not at 38L+ on road when you consider the competition and the numerous feature deletions.
solaris007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:44   #102
VND
BHPian

To all the folks who are confused between the ride quality of Tiguan and Kodiaq here are my 2 cents for you,

Though I haven't got a chance to drive the new Tiguan but I have a Tiguan Allspace in my garage and recently took a test drive of Kodiaq. I feel that ride quality is almost similar in normal mode, but it get's about 10% better in comfort mode with DCC and no way gives that floaty/bouncy effect - points to Skoda for that! I drove both of them back to back on same roads just to compare.

I never found the setup on my Tiguan to be bone jarring though it being an CBU, it's completely livable with. But in my experience the typical European thud which you hear will be present on our Indian roads, no matter what. One has to keep that in mind be it Tiguan or Kodiaq.

P.S. I drive my Tiguan Allspace at 34-35 PSI on all four tires regularly. The pressure of Kodiaq was also reduced to 35, the test car somehow had 38-40 on different tires which is weird it being a test car

Hope this helps, thank you!
VND is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:04   #103
BHPian

Just took a TD of the sdrive X1 moments back.

My two cents on it.

1. Initial feel inside the car felt like i sat in a small hatchback, polo may be.
2. The quality of material used specially the rubber material on the cockpit, no soft leather. Shocking. The hard plastic used at several places is so disappointing. I don't think even i10 or santro or those cars with all due respect use such quality plastic
3. The car felt cramped front and rear
4. The rear seats are a joke and the on an average potholes with road(), i was literally swinging and rolling all over the place.
4. Features wise it doesn't have more than half of the ones you expect in most cars in this range.
5. It just did not feel a BMW and certainly did not feel a 50Lakh car anyway.

So it got easier for me, Kodiaq was already booked and i feel better about my decision after today
Vidzy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:35   #104
BHPian

It’s true that the Tiguan has less features for its price and the style variant of the kodiaq makes more sense as you get more space and features for about 4 lakhs more. But I think the target audience is different. The Tiguan is more for smaller families and for self driven usage and it makes more sense for city driving. The kodiaq makes more sense for a Chauffeur driven car in the city and self driven on highways. Just my two cents.
urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 13:43   #105
BHPian

I checked out Tiguan and Kodiaq last weekend. To avoid duplication, have posted on the other Tiguan space:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5242802 (2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review)
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks