Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 22:04   #136
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
The car dealer's are informing about the march delivery even for the bookings made in december.
Yes, that’s what I heard too today. My leasing company got in touch with Skoda and got back the answer that March will be delivery and that too a pretty limited numbers.
Old 28th January 2022, 22:30   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
While I agree on the Diesel and Hybrids, really doubt anyone spending 50 lakhs will go for a CNG, no matter how good it is. Even CNG will be hard to sell beyond 15 lakhs segment in India.
Don't think people shun CNG powered vehicles because of cheap prices (I believe you are suggesting this). If cheaper fuel was the reason, most would have not preferred diesel powered vehicles.

The biggest problems with CNG are:
1. In conventional CNG tank arrangement (in boot), you can only store a fraction of CNG. Although CNG has higher calorific value than petrol, it's volume is more due to which which most cars can only carry 10 kgs in one cylinder in one refill/ refuel.
2. The wait at CNG station in India is mush more. You wait for over 10 minutes for 10 kgs of gas as compared to anything over 35 liters of fuel in under 10 minutes.
3. Sparse distribution network, almost lakin to development of rural areas by the bureaucracy.
4. Lack of support & adoption by most manufacturers, who haven't realised the potential. People going for aftermarket CNG fitment are at mercy of Installer's capabilities & own discipline re CNG equipment service & testing.
5. Lastly, there are misconceptions, starting from poor fuel quality of CNG as compared to petrol/ diesel causing harm to engine, high Kno maintenance actually caused by not taking CNG vehicle to installer for routine check ups like regular service, etc.

VAG group, however, has wonderful arrangement of CNG tanks (it's shared on Tata's Tiago CNG models discussion thread before the review was up), wherein tanks are stored under rear seats & under boot. Though it means boot space is bit lower than petrol/ diesel engine model & so is petrol/ first tank is 50-60% of smaller. But CNG carrying capacity is multiple times. So the actual range is more than normal fuel vehicle.

Hence, I lamented - if VAG hey can have CNG powered vehicles in West, why not here.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 22:47   #138
BHPian

Is anyone else trying to decide between the Octavia and the Kodiaq? Dimensionally they are not too dissimilar (except for height + ground clearance) and they both represent the "almost" luxury cars in their respective segments. Now I know a fairer comparison would be Superb vs. Kodiaq but the Superb is an older generation car and is due for a facelift (and it is ~17cm longer).

The Kodiaq L&K commands a ~35% premium over the Octavia L&K and I just do not seem to be able to justify that premium. Granted this is not an apples to apples comparison (SUV vs Sedan) but for the vast majority of folks that just use their vehicles for city use does this difference matter?
Old 29th January 2022, 02:57   #139
BHPian

Went to Skoda centre yesterday. Kodiaq isn't available for TD, coasted sales manager for Kodiaq demonstration atleast. He gradually agreed as showroom owner owns white Kodiaq & told he will request him to be present at showroom with his Kodiaq. May be he was testing waters with me. I thanked him for arranging Kodiaq for me.

Went with full family after double confirmation of Kodiaq availability. Father, mother & wife instantly felt in love with her. I was waiting for TD before I make my decision. Me & father had TD Legender before Kodiaq launch, he didn't liked the burly feeling of Legender. Also, rear seats were bummer for him, though space was more than Kodiaq. Father takes his own time to rev up the things, but after sitting in Kodiaq, he didn't. Went for TD with total 5 persons + kid.

TD Observations:

1. Interiors quality is just wow. Definitely a notch ahead of Superb L&K & Tiguan.

2. Engine pull on normal mode is pretty good.

3. Suspension is definitely harder than Superb L&K, even on comfort mode.

4. 3rd row only for kids or single adult.

5. Tiny spare wheel - wonder how one will manage with it on hilly terrain, especially if at front.

6. Good, if not the best road presence.

7. Nice alloys - matches the vehicle quality. Unlike some of the premium vehicles having pathetic alloys.

8. Sufficiently grippy tires.

9. Can't really tell a difference between comfort & normal mode of suspension - maybe because of fully loaded vehicle.

10. Quite easy to navigate, even in crawling traffic.

11. Side stance is the best.

After family whole heartedly agreed for, booked white L&K, with quoted delivery time of 7 months. Sales manager tries to push me to Sportline variant giving delivery in 4 months, Superb L&K any color in 2 months. But family inclined to airy feel of Kodiaq & didn't like black interiors.

He also stated that company is manufacturing future Indian CKD units only after taking bookings, that's why the long delay.

He also hinted at Kodiaq being manufactured in limited capacity & may even be stopped in future just like vRS variants. But can't validate his statement as demand is going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris007 View Post
Is anyone else trying to decide between the Octavia and the Kodiaq? Dimensionally they are not too dissimilar (except for height + ground clearance) and they both represent the "almost" luxury cars in their respective segments. Now I know a fairer comparison would be Superb vs. Kodiaq but the Superb is an older generation car and is due for a facelift (and it is ~17cm longer).

The Kodiaq L&K commands a ~35% premium over the Octavia L&K and I just do not seem to be able to justify that premium. Granted this is not an apples to apples comparison (SUV vs Sedan) but for the vast majority of folks that just use their vehicles for city use does this difference matter?
Was in dilemma between Superb & Kodiaq. Went for Kodiaq because -

1. Kodiaq is roomier.

2. SUVS are bit better built & they hold better in long term. (I'm planning to keep Kodiaq for 10+ years with yearly run of 15,000 KMS if God & Skoda permits)

3. Needed more ground clearance as we face some water logging issues in rainy season.

4. Have wife + parents + kids to drive around.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th January 2022 at 08:24. Reason: Merging back to back posts. When quoting and replying to multiple posts, please use the multi quote option (QUOTE+). Thanks!
SilverSmoke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 13:02   #140
BHPian

Found the first delivery video of the Sportline variant in White:

Advance Warning: Please watch the video muted - it is way overdone.

Here is the owner's take on why he chose the Sportline over the L&K:

"The delivery is today evening on 28th Jan. i needed black interiors as the beige gets dirty very soon. I already own a 2016 Superb L and K and 2021 Audi A6 with beige
The other reasons were:
The DCC difference was not much between comfort and normal (sportline is set on normal)
The 360 camera is not very useful to me as i have fine parking skills and the resolution was also not very high.
The sports seats will heat up less in summers and also i have indoor parking. So seat ventilation was not needed."

I think white is too neutral a colour on the Sportline - blue or steel grey might be a bolder choice.

Last edited by solaris007 : 29th January 2022 at 13:06. Reason: Added owner's explanation on his choice
Old 29th January 2022, 14:19   #141
BHPian

Sorry to rain on someone's parade but how has this gentleman managed to get delivery when the company director himself is saying that they are still finalizinf allocations and delivery's accordingly.

Did he pull some strings? I booked the car on 12th of this month and till now not even a single word about allocations or deliveries.
Old 29th January 2022, 16:16   #142
AKB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post
Sorry to rain on someone's parade but how has this gentleman managed to get delivery when the company director himself is saying that they are still finalizing allocations and delivery's accordingly.

Did he pull some strings? I booked the car on 12th of this month and till now not even a single word about allocations or deliveries.
When I spoke to Skoda on 10th, they did indicate that they will have few deliveries before end of the month (Jan 2022 i.e.). I didn't book till I had a test drive is another story but perfectly fine for Skoda to deliver vehicles 15 days post launch. Believe that is the reason why production started early. So no 'raining someone's parade'

BTW I also booked on 12th, and date is April.
Old 29th January 2022, 16:46   #143
BHPian

My frnds booking was made on 11th and dealer has promised delivery by Feb or March.

Dealer was ready to give early delivery by 1st week of Feb but as soon as he realised we didn't want to buy insurance from them. He clearly refused to allot this vehicle to us. They were very clear and 'bindaas' in stating that, early delivery will be given only if we buy insurance from them.

Which would mean giving away savings of more than 60K.(In comparison to quotation received from insurance agents). As we were not in a hurry we preferred to save some money.

Last edited by goenkakushal : 29th January 2022 at 16:48.
goenkakushal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 18:19   #144
BANNED

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post

He also stated that company is manufacturing future Indian CKD units only after taking bookings, that's why the long delay.
What does CKD stands for?

Last edited by Sheel : 30th January 2022 at 08:42. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 29th January 2022, 19:53   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post
Sorry to rain on someone's parade but how has this gentleman managed to get delivery when the company director himself is saying that they are still finalizinf allocations and delivery's accordingly.

As mentioned earlier white color delivers should happen first. I had long discussions with multiple Skoda India contact points and they told me that lava blue color is in demand. Skoda offered white color which I simply refused. Currently, our lava blue delivery date is by Feb end or march 1st week with the verbal promise of ex-showroom as the launch date. (Booking date was in Dec 21.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
My frnds booking was made on 11th and dealer has promised delivery by Feb or March.

Dealer was ready to give early delivery by 1st week of Feb but as soon as he realised we didn't want to buy insurance from them. He clearly refused to allot this vehicle to us. They were very clear and 'bindaas' in stating that, early delivery will be given only if we buy insurance from them.

Which would mean giving away savings of more than 60K.(In comparison to quotation received from insurance agents). As we were not in a hurry we preferred to save some money.
Can you please share the car's color? Can't you escalate this to Skoda? The showroom is to sell cars and not insurance.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th January 2022 at 20:05. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Old 29th January 2022, 22:47   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_10 View Post
What does CKD stands for?
Complete Knocked Down units. Means cars aren't really manufactured here, all parts are imported & assembled together in assembling plants.

Much like assembled computers, local assemblers aren't primary manufacturers.

But Slavia/Kushaq have around 90% localisation, means only engine & transmission like parts requiring high technical skills will be imported from Czech Republic & alike rest all parts will be manufactured here in India from raw materials, procured some from India, some from others.
SilverSmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 12:11   #147
Senior - BHPian

Demand for Skoda Kodiaq seems high, order book is full for 2022. Dealers quote waiting period may extend to 12months for the 2nd batch.

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-smartselect_20220130114834_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:01   #148
BHPian

When they say bookings have exceeded expectations, what is the number that we are looking at?. 1000? 2000?

It's it's a few thousands, I find it very amusing. Recently saw the news that xuv700 crossed 100,000 bookings or so. Now Mahindra can probably say it exceeded expectations.

Really wonder how serious Skoda is about Indian market!!! Hope to see Jeep Meridien and some more models in soon to make the market competitive
motorhead5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:35   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
When they say bookings have exceeded expectations, what is the number that we are looking at?. 1000? 2000?

It's it's a few thousands, I find it very amusing. Recently saw the news that xuv700 crossed 100,000 bookings or so. Now Mahindra can probably say it exceeded expectations.

Really wonder how serious Skoda is about Indian market!!! Hope to see Jeep Meridien and some more models in soon to make the market competitive
A company can set a lowest target of 100 cars per month and still say exceeded expectations if they receive more bookings than what they expected. In the segment that Kodiaq is competing we cannot expect Skoda to set a target like XUV700. Also from Skoda management stand point, they will be more happy with the current situation than building excess units and having to sell that at discount. And surely with what ever targets they have, they would have also factored in sufficient profits too.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:36   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post

During launch, Zac mentioned they are expecting 100 - 150 per month. Also, considering the segment, they don’t expect it to sell anywhere near Fortuner volumes and hence would have allocated units in production accordingly.

Last edited by RJ2285 : 30th January 2022 at 13:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks