Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2022, 10:04   #331
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
Congratulations! Wish you a million happy miles! Lava Blue looks awesome.

My dealer in BLR said the car will reach next week and will be delivered. Can’t wait
Awesome...finally good to hear about delivery commencing in BLR. Who is your dealer? I have got no info on the delivery... Does repeated following up with SA help?
Old 27th February 2022, 12:20   #332
BHPian

One of my friends is keen on ~45 lakh car and I proposed Kodiaq. But alas, no booking available and dealers saying all sold out for 2022. Is the booking completely closed for 2022 or any chances of it open again?

He is spolit by XUV 700 features and while he can afford anything from 25 to 45 lakhs, he cannot get XUV700 in 2022 due to waiting, no other SUV is to his liking (wants a snobbish 7 seater), and Kodiaq is sold out. Strange times we are in. Any other options he can look at (SUVs and Pseudo SUVs only with 7 seats options)
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 12:30   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
One of my friends is keen on ~45 lakh car and I proposed Kodiaq. But alas, no booking available and dealers saying all sold out for 2022. Is the booking completely closed for 2022 or any chances of it open again?

He is spolit by XUV 700 features and while he can afford anything from 25 to 45 lakhs, he cannot get XUV700 in 2022 due to waiting, no other SUV is to his liking (wants a snobbish 7 seater), and Kodiaq is sold out. Strange times we are in. Any other options he can look at (SUVs and Pseudo SUVs only with 7 seats options)

He can wait for the Jeep Meridian which is scheduled to launch in mid 2022.
Torque_Curve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 12:58   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Awesome...finally good to hear about delivery commencing in BLR. Who is your dealer? I have got no info on the delivery... Does repeated following up with SA help?
Raja Skoda and I booked Lava Blue L&K. Working with Skoda helps because they do the allocations for dealers.

Quote:

He should wait till June when Meridian will be launched. He could go for it and I also think there will cancellations of Kodiaq from people who want Diesel and cannot bear the indefinite wait with Skoda.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th February 2022 at 23:26. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 15:41   #335
BHPian

Sorry for a diverging question. My kodiaq delivery (sportline) is eternally delayed.. from April to August to no date commitment anymore. I could wait for Meridien. But that would also be Q3 2022 like kodiaq .

So I am exploring used cars and came across a mid 2018 range rover discovery sport HSE version that has less kms on odo (35k and good condition). And asking price is more or less around kodiaq price (+/- 1L).. it's a 177bhp Diesel motor with 5+2 seats, which is good. Still in warranty.

This is the launch thread in teambhp back then - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...2-48-lakh.html (2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport launched at Rs. 42.48 lakh). See HSE version.

I am in a serious dilemma as I would prefer to have the car by Apr/May time frame. I think there would be more folks in the same boat as me!!

Would appreciate feedback from all experts.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th March 2022 at 19:19. Reason: Link corrected
motorhead5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 16:21   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post

So I am exploring used cars and came across a mid 2018 range rover discovery sport HSE version that has less kms on odo (35k and good condition). And asking price is more or less around kodiaq price (+/- 1L).. it's a 177bhp Diesel motor with 5+2 seats, which is good. Still in warranty.

I am in a serious dilemma as I would prefer to have the car by Apr/May time frame. I think there would be more folks in the same boat as me!!
So let me take a stab at this as someone who’s in the market for either a Kodiaq (outlier) or a Meridian (most likely, barring any fatal flaws). On the side I have also told my friendly SA at Land Rover to keep me apprised if he comes by any sparingly used Discover Sport models - my parameters being, the current face lifted version, less than 2 years and 20,000 km and preferably under 60L.

Firstly: on timelines

From what I’ve heard from Jeep dealers, the car is most likely to be launched in May (max) with first lot deliveries to commence almost immediately from launch. So we’re really talking mid to end calendar Q2, not Q3. Not sure if you can wait just that little bit more but if you can, I would suggest you do.

Secondly: used Discovery Sport vs new Meridian*.

This comparison is understandably speculative given that the Meridian is not launched yet. I am putting my views down on the basis of press reports and what little I’ve seen of the Brazilian Commander

I’m keeping the Kodiaq out of this comparison on the assumption that its at a minimum an August delivery per your post and that’s a deal breaker for you.

The thing with the Discovery Sport is that while its a brilliant product, it isn’t the most fuss free one and is known to suffer from more than routine niggles, which aren’t necessarily cheap to fix. Personally, I would NOT opt for a four year old LR for that reason, however low the mileage as I would want the maximum residual warranty and as new a product as I can get in the used market. I might be willing to pay 10 - 15L premium over a new Kodiaq or Meridian for that assuming I buy into the proposition - again, not sure if you’d be open to stretching your budget by that much.

With the Meridian, what I anticipate is you will get a brand new car that is 80% capability of a Discovery Sport in overall feel and luxury factor at close to 60% of the price. (Perhaps less on hard core off-road ability not sure but I doubt I’ll have the courage to subject an 85L car to anything more than what I’d subject a Jeep to).

For that reason, rupee for rupee, I feel a brand new Meridian (or a Kodiaq for that matter) is probably better value than a 4 year old Discover Sport. Either of the Jeep or the Skoda will be comparably plush from the inside, have the same feel good factor and in their own right have strong brand equity. Not Land Rover strong but strong regardless.

Perhaps wait it out at least till April or early May by when I suspect Jeep might let out more active teasers on the product and if you’re lucky maybe even the initial previews / reviews.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 19:38   #337
BHPian

Thanks a lot, Axe77. Very much appreciate your detailed response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I have also told my friendly SA at Land Rover to keep me apprised if he comes by any sparingly used Discover Sport models - my parameters being, the current face lifted version, less than 2 years and 20,000 km and preferably under 60L.
Is there a way for me to get the service history of the vehicle?. Would a SA be able to get it?. Not sure if you can pm me your contact's reference. Problem is that the car is not in the same place as I am and I need to go check it out (took first look remotely and is in good condition).

Quote:
So we’re really talking mid to end calendar Q2, not Q3. Not sure if you can wait just that little bit more but if you can, I would suggest you do
On Meridien, I am worried about 2 aspects.
1. Even a small wait period will take it to q3 (waited for kodiaq for a very long time.. Skoda ) because I somehow feel that jeep too will delay deliveries and
2. if the engine is same as compass (170 horses, which is what I saw in carandbike.com recently), I WILL not go for it.

Quote:
Personally, I would NOT opt for a four year old LR for that reason, however low the mileage as I would want the maximum residual warranty and as new a product as I can get in the used market. I might be willing to pay 10 - 15L premium over a new Kodiaq or Meridian for that assuming I buy into the proposition - again, not sure if you’d be open to stretching your budget by that much.
I understand and agree. I have been trying for sometime now and this was the best condition vehicle so far to come my way. But yes, I can try for another 2 months.
On this, my thinking is if I can close the deal around 4-5L below Kodiaq/Meridien cost, that's my buffer money for any issues in next 2 years. Other option is what you suggested which is go up the chain for a newer model. Being a used car, I may keep it with me for 2-3 years only. So I may be the one to taking the depreciation hit - buy at higher price because of the current situation and sell at lower when situation improves

Quote:
For that reason, rupee for rupee, I feel a brand new Meridian (or a Kodiaq for that matter) is probably better value than a 4 year old Discover Sport. Either of the Jeep or the Skoda will be comparably plush from the inside, have the same feel good factor and in their own right have strong brand equity. Not Land Rover strong but strong regardless.
Perhaps wait it out at least till April or early May by when I suspect Jeep might let out more active teasers on the product and if you’re lucky maybe even the initial previews / reviews.
I may never do hardcore off-roading. But I travel a lot and would encounter unplanned terrains and for that any of the 3 vehicles should work out Ok though discovery sport has an edge looking at the condition of our roads
Priorities would be
1. performance and drive (comparable assuming Meridien will offer more performance)
2. plush interiors incl space that family can enjoy - which I am convinced about kodiaq, have to wait for Meridien (compass is not there imho) and need to check out the discovery sport - initial feeling with it is that seats and space are good; instrument cluster and dashboard is a bit dated.

For above said reasons, I have a feeling that I may end up leaving out Meridien
Old 27th February 2022, 19:46   #338
BHPian

Quote:

If it’s snob appeal that he is looking for and wants to big car then he should also look at the Toyota fortuner petrol which is in the same price bracket. To be honest I wouldn’t buy it even if it came with a discount but it has a big presence on the road which I think your friend is looking for.
I also agree with many people here that once the meridian launches there would be availability of the kodiaq and possibly good discounts on the Tiguan provided the Jeep is a compelling package at a compelling price.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 20:58   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there a way for me to get the service history of the vehicle?. Would a SA be able to get it?.
Usually with these luxury brands the service records are centrally available at any dealership. Perhaps extract it in consultation with the seller.

Quote:
On Meridien, I am worried about 2 aspects.
1. Even a small wait period will take it to q3 (waited for kodiaq for a very long time.. Skoda ) because I somehow feel that jeep too will delay deliveries and
2. if the engine is same as compass (170 horses, which is what I saw in carandbike.com recently), I WILL not go for it.
1. I think that could be preempted by making a very prompt early booking subject to test drive (should you like it of course).
2. Completely understandable. This factor will be a major downer for me as well although its a bitter pill I may accept. Only when I drive it however can I take a final call on this aspect.

Quote:
I understand and agree. I have been trying for sometime now and this was the best condition vehicle so far to come my way. But yes, I can try for another 2 months.
On this, my thinking is if I can close the deal around 4-5L below Kodiaq/Meridien cost, that's my buffer money for any issues in next 2 years.
If that’s your ownership outlook then 4 years old may actually work out well. You’ll benefit from the sharpest depreciation, can buy extended warranty for the better part of those 2 - 3 years and also reduce your upfront outlay as well as your follow on hit when you sell. I hold my cars long and therefore was hoping for a less than two year model which I can hold on to for 7-8 years.

Quote:
Priorities would be
1. performance and drive (comparable assuming Meridien will offer more performance)
2. plush interiors incl space that family can enjoy - which I am convinced about kodiaq, have to wait for Meridien (compass is not there imho) and need to check out the discovery sport - initial feeling with it is that seats and space are good; instrument cluster and dashboard is a bit dated.
1. I suspect the Kodiaq will be the most rewarding of the three on this front but then you need to swallow the uncertain wait period. The Discovery Sport will be comparable or slightly below in performance - will have to wait and watch with the Meridian depending on engine specs but I’m mentally reconciled to it being the least rewarding of this trio.
2. I think all three are pretty much in the same ball park with the Discovery Sport perhaps holding a marginal edge over the Kodiaq and the Meridian (if identical to Compass) being a close third although I think / hope they may improve the interior of the Meridian a little bit over the Compass.

In summary:
From what you’ve described, I think the 4 year old Discovery Sport may actually be a good option for you - specially given you only have a 2 - 3 year outlook. I think the back seat (2nd row) of the Discovery Sport is definitely more comfortable as well than the Kodiaq from what I recall from having sat in both. The Kodiaq I found lacking in underthigh support in comparison to the Discovery Sport.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 22:55   #340
BHPian

I am still exploring all the car features but will appreciate help from other members on the following questions:

1) Not able to open tailgate via remote key. By pressing the remote button, yellow light flashes, but nothing happens. Note I can open/close the tailgate with a switch on the driver door and a button on the boot door. What is going wrong?

2) USB C connectors: I tried multiple USB drives, but the system cannot recognize any USB drive. (checked via media button) The same USB stick works on the pc. (Fat32, eight GB) I also used saregama music USB stick with USB-C adapter, still no luck. What is going wrong?

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th February 2022 at 23:28. Reason: Typos / clean up edits.
Old 28th February 2022, 23:27   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
1) Not able to open tailgate via remote key. By pressing the remote button, yellow light flashes, but nothing happens. Note I can open/close the tailgate with a switch on the driver door and a button on the boot door. What is going wrong?
You need to press and hold. Did you try that?. See it all here -

On usb, I had a similar issue with Ford once which got solved through reformatting. There were many links I could find in Google that time, which I followed
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 11:42   #342
BHPian

My dealer finally got back to me with a delivery timeline of July 2022 for a booking made on 7th Jan after I escalated the matter to Skoda Customer Care.

I have now placed a request to cancel my booking.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 12:52   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
My dealer finally got back to me with a delivery timeline of July 2022 for a booking made on 7th Jan after I escalated the matter to Skoda Customer Care.

I have now placed a request to cancel my booking.
Basically they will be charging you the new prices (applicable April onwards) for a booking done before launch (since the launch was Jan 10th). That is ridiculous.

I understand the delay in delivery, but the above issue would leave anyone unhappy. Also, can't imagine what my delivery date will be considering I booked one on Jan 12th !

Skoda is going to have a very tough time managing and reissuing these cancellations, specially considering they still havn't managed to figure out initial bookings.

Is your booking an L&K (Lava Blue)? My understanding is that, that seems to be the most in demand SKU.
kartavya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 14:29   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Basically they will be charging you the new prices (applicable April onwards) for a booking done before launch (since the launch was Jan 10th). That is ridiculous.

Is your booking an L&K (Lava Blue)? My understanding is that, that seems to be the most in demand SKU.
I didn't know about new prices becoming applicable from April. I assumed they would provide price protection for early bookings. Now, I have one more reason to go ahead with my cancellation. How do we know if Skoda is not deliberately delaying deliveries. I hope they don't but I wouldn't be surprised if they do so.

Yes, my booking is for Lava Blue L&K. I even told them that I am willing to take L&K in any color except black. But that didn't make any difference. What irked me and pushed me into cancelling my booking is the staff's attitude at Raja Skoda towards a potential and also a loyal Skoda customer. They didn't answer my email and the sales advisor who handled my booking didn't even answer my call. I didn't pester them at all. I sent a polite email asking for an update, waited for two weeks and then called the SA. But they replied the next day after I spoke to Skoda.

Last edited by novice : 1st March 2022 at 14:40.
novice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 15:22   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I didn't know about new prices becoming applicable from April. I assumed they would provide price protection for early bookings. Now, I have one more reason to go ahead with my cancellation. How do we know if Skoda is not deliberately delaying deliveries. I hope they don't but I wouldn't be surprised if they do so.

Yes, my booking is for Lava Blue L&K. I even told them that I am willing to take L&K in any color except black. But that didn't make any difference. What irked me and pushed me into cancelling my booking is the staff's attitude at Raja Skoda towards a potential and also a loyal Skoda customer. They didn't answer my email and the sales advisor who handled my booking didn't even answer my call. I didn't pester them at all. I sent a polite email asking for an update, waited for two weeks and then called the SA. But they replied the next day after I spoke to Skoda.
That is unfortunate. The skoda dealers in Bangalore are being very naive with customers.
This is soon going to be a case study on how not to launch a car in the market.

Most Viewed