Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 10:07   #271
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

I am reasonably sure that these will only be introductory offers and prices will be hiked very soon. The strategy is simple, release on a killer price, get the word going around and slowly increase prices. M&M did it, Kia will do it too. There is no profit margin with these pricings (base variants mostly). All people would remember is that Kia has introduced at low prices. I think the other brands will also follow this way of marketing. I may be wrong, but don't be surprised if the prices are hiked by 50K before the first deliveries start.
Old 16th February 2022, 10:09   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnprasad View Post
Hi,

I am not a car enthusiast and need a vehicle to go from A to B. I have two kids 14 and 15, wife, mother and occasionally my in laws or relatives come with us as well and hence I need a third row

So few things I dont need or dont understand or care:

(a) time taken to 0-100
(b) Sun roof
(c) telescopic steering
(d) Hill assist...etc

All I do is sit in the drivers seat and drive. I have been driving since 2000. First car was second hand Zen, second car was second hand Versa and current car is 2014 Dec Ertiga ZXI - bought new.

I dont really need a new car since my 7 year old Ertiga has been driven only 22K KM of which 80+ has been high way driving since I use public transport to travel within Bangalore.

I have been seeing reviews of new cars like XUV 700, Tata Safari and am very tempted to switch but dont want to spend 20 lacs given the fact I rarely drive. But after seeing the 10 lakhs Prestige variant price of Carens I am very tempted.
Given this is a forum for car enthusiasts, my post may seem trivial - but then I represent that part of the population who are not crazy about cars
Very very similar situation.
- I have a 2011 Vento bought used at 24K in 2013. It is now 67K, so in 9 years approx 43Kms. And the car is a gem mechanically.
- I cycle to office.

The only reason (read excuse) for me to change is my father is 75yrs and the Vento is a little low for him. Though he does not complain. He gets in and out from the car may be 4-8 times a week.

I already drive an AT and none of the other ATs sub 20L give me the same comfort, each of them feels a downgrade or feels to expensive.
Carens or New Eritga (not sure when this comes out) may be what I will end up buying.

General question, How are folks choosing (what criteria) between Diesel AT and Petrol DCT given both are priced the same?
kmadhok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:12   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnprasad View Post
All I do is sit in the drivers seat and drive. I have been driving since 2000. First car was second hand Zen, second car was second hand Versa and current car is 2014 Dec Ertiga ZXI - bought new.

I dont really need a new car since my 7 year old Ertiga has been driven only 22K KM of which 80+ has been high way driving since I use public transport to travel within Bangalore.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch? Electric cars are the only reason I can think of, but I guess an affordable Ertiga type EV around 10-12 lacs is at least five years away

Given this is a forum for car enthusiasts, my post may seem trivial - but then I represent that part of the population who are not crazy about cars
I'd suggest you keep your car. As you said, you don't drive much and the Ertiga has only been driven for 22K kms in over 7 years. It's human tendency to try and buy the shiny new thing but I don't think you need a new car. Plus, as you said, you're not a car enthusiast, so you probably don't have the itch to go buy a new car every 5 years.

IMO, some companies may launch a 7 seater EV in the next couple of years. You're right that it may not be available for 10-12 lakhs but you might be able to accumulate a lot more personal disposable income in the next 2-3 years by keeping your old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
General question, How are folks choosing (what criteria) between Diesel AT and Petrol DCT given both are priced the same?
It should mostly depend on their running. Petrol DCT will most likely return a mileage in the single digits.

Last edited by Marauder : 16th February 2022 at 10:15.
Marauder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:16   #274
BHPian

Excellent pricing by Kia!

They got the MPV formula right which made the Ertiga/XL6 so successful - Spacious cabin with a very usable third row and decent boot space with all seats up unlike the namesake boot space of Safari/XUV700 et al. This was the formula that made the Ertiga and the Innova so popular as 7 seaters.

The only miss in my opinion is the poor spread of automatics in the lower variants. No diesel AT except for the top end variant and no AT for the 1.5 naturally aspirated petrol. With the market shifting towards automatics, it could have helped bring in more volumes.

Kudos to Kia for bringing competition to the segment. It only means good things for the customer.
Vibhanshu0923 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 10:44   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
It should mostly depend on their running. Petrol DCT will most likely return a mileage in the single digits.
But the prices are the same. So wouldnt everyone just opt for diesel AT?
Old 16th February 2022, 10:57   #276
BHPian

Killer pricing by KIA. I'm hoping that they deliver the units to this given price only. Or this will just pass a Marketing strategy to attract sales at a lower price and then delay the units and only deliver with the price increase.

Waiting to see the car in flesh. Looks huge or at par with Ertiga/Seltos.
Old 16th February 2022, 10:59   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kia India has launched the Carens at an introductory prices of Rs 8.99 lakh and goes up to Rs 16.99 lakh.
Prices will go up after 6 months for sure......but, Je baat!!!!

Very good strategy by Kia. Other carmakers (Honda, you listening??) should take a leaf out of the Kia playbook.....
Old 16th February 2022, 11:07   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
But the prices are the same. So wouldnt everyone just opt for diesel AT?
True but according to initial reviews, the Diesel feels underpowered under heavy load and the turbo Petrol is quite spirited. Also, in places like Delhi-NCR, the 10-year diesel ban has a huge effect on the decision to choose between the petrol and diesel versions of the car.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:27   #279
BHPian

For a sedate driver, who always drives under 80kmph, is the diesel AT a good match?

I think even under heavy load with 7 seats occupied, it should still be able to pull till 80kmph without any issue?

Is it so under powered that it creates problem for highway driving?

I have driven this engine plus gearbox combo in Creta and I felt it is sufficiently powerful.
I have also driven the Creta DCT and I really liked the performance, with 5 people on board it was pulling without any hassle.
Comments please.

Last edited by RaceHorse : 16th February 2022 at 11:30.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:37   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
True but according to initial reviews, the Diesel feels underpowered under heavy load and the turbo Petrol is quite spirited. Also, in places like Delhi-NCR, the 10-year diesel ban has a huge effect on the decision to choose between the petrol and diesel versions of the car.
I have the Seltos Diesel MT HTX version and I believe it is the same 1.5 engine being used in the Carens Diesel. I have never felt my car underpowered with 2 adults, 3 kids and a load of luggage. Hitting triple digit numbers comes quickly. Unless there is some other changes made in the engine-transmission section of Carens, I dont think there will be a difference in performance.
anzrulz555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:41   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Unlike like the Seltos, Creta, Sonet and Alcazar which only get the driver’s window switch illuminated, the Carens gets all illuminated window switches on every door. Finally!!

Kia Carens Review-734026d48dd245d1ae75d45a79f0e4be.jpeg

Kia Carens Review-c0f2d361fa6449cda58bd28fe2dc8021.jpeg

A night drive review of the Carens with headlights throw:
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:45   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am afraid, this wouldn't give the true picture as we need a "full load" for a 6/7-seater.

PS: Seltos 1.5 NA petrol was marginally slower than the diesel MT, in 0-100 kmph runs. Can't seem to find the link now.
I am pretty sure the tests are done under full load, there are several comments in the article about performance under fully loaded conditions. Are you suggesting reported performance figures of vehicles seating more than 5 are always incorrect?
Old 16th February 2022, 11:47   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
For a sedate driver, who always drives under 80kmph, is the diesel AT a good match?

I think even under heavy load with 7 seats occupied, it should still be able to pull till 80kmph without any issue?

Is it so under powered that it creates problem for highway driving?

I have driven this engine plus gearbox combo in Creta and I felt it is sufficiently powerful.
I have also driven the Creta DCT and I really liked the performance, with 5 people on board it was pulling without any hassle.
Comments please.
Most modern cars are adequately powered for all our "normal daily needs". So ferrying folks with AC and luggage in your urban roundabouts will not be a challenge at all. Scenarios where you may face a challenge -
1. overtaking on two lane single carriageways
2. climbing ghat sections with full load

Depends on how much of your driving faces the scenarios listed above. I used to drive a FIRE Linea and faced the above challenges a few times a year. I loved the car nevertheless - it never let me down. But i was always aware of its limitations in the scenarios listed above.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:50   #284
BHPian

Dear Friends, Based on some of the reviews and reports by existing Creta/Seltos 1.4 DCT owners, I am a little skeptical on booking the new 1.4 DCT Kia Carens and the only other automatic i.e. the 1.5 Diesel AT is going to be almost 20L+ on road here in Pune which is above my budget.

Can anyone please throw some light on the 1.4 DCT on how risky affair it would be to spend almost 17-18L (with 5 years warranty) and what kind of ownership I can expect for this petrol turbo model?

My test drive review for 1.4 DCT Carens FYR: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5259062 (Kia Carens Review)

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Achint
achintatri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:54   #285
Senior - BHPian

Great pricing by Kia. I have to take my words back. I never thought this will be priced so aggressively.

This pricing brings me couple of questions -

1 If Carens price is right, does that mean Sonet and Seltos are overpriced? Kia minting money with those two cars.

2 Have they made some serious cost cutting for Carens and compromised on quality?

3 This pricing shows Alcazar is very costly and will certainly kill it.

If they can continue with this price for long is to be seen. Certainly good competition to Ertiga/XL6 combo. Diesel Carens will certainly attract cab business as Innova is too costly now.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed