Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 08:15   #331
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Great aggressive debut from Kia. Maruti must up their game now.
But at first glance it looks like another Renault Lodgy with a better looking design and of course rich features sets.
The interest considering the standard offering of 6 airbags, disc brakes, TPMS and also the comparison with Alcazar pricing, is understandable. But I am not able understand what did Marazzo do that people rejected it? It has great fit and finish, good features, big size suited as a people mover (same as XUV500), had potential to challenge even the Big Daddy Innova in certain areas.
Hexa also failed and one of the reasons it could not clearly define itself whether it is an SUV or MPV, despite being a very superior car (build, fit/finish/features/niggle free). Carens has also this risk of being in between an SUV and MPV.
Ofcourse understanding market dynamics and people's mindset is extremely difficult. Lets see how Carens will do in future.
Old 17th February 2022, 09:35   #332
Senior - BHPian

Kia has clocked 700+ bookings yesterday for Carens in South India alone. One dealer group in Kerala did 75. The price announcement has made people flock the showrooms and some amount of Sonet/Seltos bookings are getting shifted do Carens.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 09:49   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
But I am not able understand what did Marazzo do that people rejected it? It has great fit and finish, good features, is big size suited as a people mover (same as XUV500), had potential to challenge even the Big Daddy Innova in certain areas.
The odd styling, the odd name, and lack of proper automatic could be a few reasons why Marazoo did not do well. The power train was just adequate for its size. Also Marazoo ended squarely between the Ertiga and Crysta. Its base versions did not have enough to compete with Ertiga's top-end variants and its top variants were not considered an alternative by private Crysta buyers for the lack of automatic and odd styling.

Carens has proper automatic, great interiors and is piggybacking on the trust that Hyundai has earned in its years in India.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:23   #334
BHPian

I think the pricing is sweetened by Kia not only to compete with Ertiga, but also due to the recent social media fiasco (Kia Pakistan et al).
And look at the results, no one remembers the incident at all and everyone is talking about Carens VFM stature.
turbospooler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:39   #335
BHPian

Went again for test drive this time a bit longer along with home ministry. Since she loved the comfort and space have booked Prestige diesel variant at Aman Kia, Yerwada. Due to enticing price there was lot of rush in showroom and SA said they have booked 15 cars in single day at this showroom alone (could be marketing trick to confirm booking but looks possible). On road price is approx 14.7 with waiting of 12 weeks, but SA said will try for Gudi Padwa delivery as big lot expected by mid of next month. SA was not ready for external insurance but said will get best deal in insurance package. They have tie up with ICICI Lombard, GoDigit, Bajaj Allianz not sure which is better as I have Chola Sundaram insurance for last 7 years and never claimed insurance.
Old 17th February 2022, 14:52   #336
BHPian

Dear Bhpians, there is a thing which is bugging me for the last 2 days. I had booked Kia Carens Prestige 1.5 Petrol on 15 Feb 2022, after having a rough look at the brochure and seeing the price to the value proposition that this variant offers.

But now when I read it carefully again, I found out that the bottom 2 variants of 1.5L Petrol (Premium and Prestige) are being offered with 15-inch wheels instead of 16 inches. The problem is not a lower sized wheel, but a narrower tyre with even the tyre profile unchanged i.e 195/65/R15 instead of 205/65/R16. (This info can be found on page 8 of the official brochure)

This leads to a deviation of obnoxious 6%, which is way higher than the normally accepted 2%. This also is leading to a very low ground clearance i.e 19mm lower!

After learning about this, I called Kia Customer Care. They said that it might have been a mistake in the brochure, but Carens get 16-inch wheels right from the base variant itself!

I tried to confirm it with my Kia Dealer, but even they were confused and asked me to wait for them to get a base variant to confirm.

I would be grateful if any of you could share some real info about it.

Regards
Ranvir
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-kia-carens-1.png  

Attached Images

Rambo-RS is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 15:31   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo-RS View Post
I would be grateful if any of you could share some real info about it.
Below is what is on the Kia website .

If you look at the brochure it add more details.

Confirms what you already have. The Petrol 1.4 Turbo and 1.5 Diesel come with 16" Wheels. The 1.5 Petrol comes with 15" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-annotation-20220217-152949.jpg  

Last edited by kmadhok : 17th February 2022 at 15:38. Reason: added more details.
Old 17th February 2022, 15:38   #338
BHPian

Kia has taken the market by amazing VFM. The Carens will hit the Ertiga market, especially since the update to Ertiga is not visual.

I am yet to ascertain how things stack up for the Carens in the lower models, which will be the VFM ones.

All the road tests highlight the van like behavior and driving dynamics more suited for sedate driving. And the ride comfort is supposed to be great.
Old 17th February 2022, 15:45   #339
BHPian

One thing i noticed is the design of the steering wheel between top end variants and lower/mid variants.

In top end variant you get a steering wheel with flat base, where as the one in the lower/mid variant you get a steering wheel which is almost circular. This is not mentioned in the brochure or anywhere in Kia website. I noticed this based on various reviews in youtube.

Have any of you test driven a top end variant and a mid variant? Can you tell if there is a different feel/grip between these steering?

Edit: I see this is mentioned in Website as D-Cut steering wheel.

Last edited by vivekkp : 17th February 2022 at 16:01.
Old 17th February 2022, 15:52   #340
BHPian

Had a word with KIA dealer in Hyderabad, he was pretty sure that even if I book the car at introductory prices I will have to pay the price that will be in effect at the time of delivery. He told waiting period is 12weeks but car can probably be delivered in 2 months, so if Kia don't increase prices before 2 months I will be getting the car at introductory prices.
Old 17th February 2022, 16:30   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Had a word with KIA dealer in Hyderabad, he was pretty sure that even if I book the car at introductory prices I will have to pay the price that will be in effect at the time of delivery. He told waiting period is 12weeks but car can probably be delivered in 2 months, so if Kia don't increase prices before 2 months I will be getting the car at introductory prices.
Yes same was communicated to be while booking, I dont see price hike coming immediately as it might backfire. Also pricing of new Ertiga/XL6 might also play role in keeping price intact for few months.
autoweirdo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 17:29   #342
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is not a competitor since most of Carens booked are Diesel, I'm told
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
Yes same was communicated to be while booking, I dont see price hike coming immediately as it might backfire. Also pricing of new Ertiga/XL6 might also play role in keeping price intact for few months.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 17:33   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
One info I missed to add, the Bose speaker system is only in top variant rest variant gets Arkamys setup. Since the demo vehicle music system was not that great not sure how Arkamys will sound, if anyone has tested lower variant please add your experience.
As of now I have planned to change OE tires on delivery to Conti or Yoko for better experience, any idea how much dealers generally give for exchanging of new tires (used tires no one gives exchange benefits as per my recent experience with my current car).
Old 17th February 2022, 19:13   #344
BHPian

As per below news, Waiting period for Kia Carens 1.5 Prestige Petrol MT has hit 12 months already.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/kai-carens-mo...nths-in-india/
Old 17th February 2022, 19:18   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Carens' Pricelist for Ranchi, Jharkhand:

Kia Carens Review-screenshot-20220217-191745.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks