Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2022, 14:00   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
Just wanted some clarity on whether the Carens needs Adblue, I was seeing some reviews on Youtube and couldnt see any adblue tank next to the diesel tank.

Also, there was a comment in the earlier pages that Carens does not require any adblue and has no DEF issues. Can someone please confirm if the same is true.
Hyundai’s 1.5 CRDI engine does not use AdBlue. It’s a basic setup that required periodic high rpm usage to keep the DPF clean. This is the same system as in all small capacity diesels and is identical in i20, Venue, Creta, Sonet, Seltos and Carens.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 14:15   #467
nvn
BHPian

Some of the concerns about fully loaded vehicle on steep roads is covered here :

nvn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 14:20   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hyundai’s 1.5 CRDI engine does not use AdBlue. It’s a basic setup that required periodic high rpm usage to keep the DPF clean. .
Had no idea about this, one of the major reasons to book a petrol DCT was to avoid DPF issues due to low running, but after reading the DCT issues that have plagued Hyundai/Kia I am wondering whether I should change my booking to Diesel since the price is the same.

Last edited by chirag08 : 25th February 2022 at 14:36. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 25th February 2022, 14:25   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted some clarity on whether the Carens needs Adblue, I was seeing some reviews on Youtube and couldnt see any adblue tank next to the diesel tank.

Also, there was a comment in the earlier pages that Carens does not require any adblue and has no DEF issues. Can someone please confirm if the same is true.
I assume that the Carens comes with the same 1.5 diesel as the Seltos, Sonet and Creta, and does not require Adblue as it follows the LNT system. In my usage of the Creta 1.5D, I haven't encountered any DPF warnings. Do take it out for a longish drive on occasion and there shouldn't be an issue. Please read the owners manual as well. There should be details on this.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2022 at 19:42. Reason: Typos
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 14:46   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Do take it out for a longish drive on occasion and there shouldn't be an issue. Please read the owners manual as well. There should be details on this.
The only issue is if I change the model now, I think it will be considered as a new booking and the current waiting period shall be applicable, I have asked the SA to let me know in case there is any cancellation of the Diesel AT from the pre bookings.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2022 at 19:43. Reason: Quoted post edited
chirag08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 15:04   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There are three steps/ways to achieve BS VI norms for Diesel engines.
  • One is to use a Lean NOX trap.
  • The other is to use Selective Catalytic reduction through Urea Injection(AdBlue) which needs to be periodically refilled through via the tank you mention.
  • The third is a diesel particulate filter (DPF)
For reference, the NOx and PM (particulate matter) content for BS6 as compared to BS4 is lower by 68 percent and 82 percent, respectively.

Generally, diesel engines such as M&M 2.2 MHAWK use the Approach 2 + 3 while Smaller Engines such as the one on the Carens Diesel use approach use 1+3. The latter approach is much more cost effective.

So DPF is required in either case and the DPF clogging issues will occur in all BS6 Diesel cars, if the car is not driven on longer trips for an extended period and simply used inside the city for short commutes for a long time.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 25th February 2022 at 15:06.
84.monsoon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 15:34   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

So DPF is required in either case and the DPF clogging issues will occur in all BS6 Diesel cars, if the car is not driven on longer trips for an extended period and simply used inside the city for short commutes for a long time.
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

So it seems either I go for the diesel and live with the DPF clogging problems that may arise due to my low running or buy the DCT and live with the fear of the transmission overheating in traffic, although from my limited research on our forum and other social media the problem only seems to have been in cars manufactured prior to October 2020. If anyone has personally come across the DCT overheating in the Kia/Hyundai's manufactured in 2021 it would be really helpful.
Old 25th February 2022, 16:18   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

So it seems either I go for the diesel and live with the DPF clogging problems that may arise due to my low running or buy the DCT and live with the fear of the transmission overheating in traffic, although from my limited research on our forum and other social media the problem only seems to have been in cars manufactured prior to October 2020. If anyone has personally come across the DCT overheating in the Kia/Hyundai's manufactured in 2021 it would be really helpful.
My advice is, that do not be "trapped" in this-vs-that debate. Most of us have been there, done that. If you are not keen on a diesel car, you can buy the DCT. Its just that you have to take some precautions in that case, such as keeping the transmission in Neutral at traffic signals and avoid creeping too much. Its just not as care-free a system as a manual or a conventional TC. Although even there, one must never abuse the vehicle anyway.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 16:26   #474
BHPian

Quote:
The only issue is if I change the model now, I think it will be considered as a new booking and the current waiting period shall be applicable, I have asked the SA to let me know in case there is any cancellation of the Diesel AT from the pre bookings.
Only if your booking has crossed 7 days..
Old 25th February 2022, 16:47   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Now that people are getting delivery, they would have got the RC card as well.
The Sales executive am in touch tells me that the kerb weight is 1,420 kg (not sure which variant).
Old 25th February 2022, 18:57   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Its just not as care-free a system as a manual or a conventional TC. Although even there, one must never abuse the vehicle anyway.
My usage does not warrant a diesel, its only because the pricing of the both the automatics is the same and the issues with the DCT gearbox that I am even considering the diesel.

A video by Hyundai says that one should avoid using the accelerator to hold the vehicle while on a slope, how else does one hold a vehicle on a slope after releasing the brakes or do cars with Hill Hold work differently? The road to my house has a flyover which always has traffic there is no way to avoid using the accelerator to hold the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_to_be View Post
Only if your booking has crossed 7 days..
I booked on 15th of Feb, so its already been 10 days.
Old 25th February 2022, 19:50   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... how else does one hold a vehicle on a slope after releasing the brakes or do cars with Hill Hold work differently?
All hill hold does is 'hold' the brakes for the moment it takes to shift pedals from brake to accelerator, usually a 2-3 seconds buffer or when you hit the A pedal, whichever happens earlier. Car will not roll until HHA is disengaged.

Using the transmission to hold a heavy car on an incline is best avoided, manual or automatic.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2022 at 19:52.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 20:29   #478
Senior - BHPian

You would have to use the handbrake and shift to N while on "Hold". Some quick limb work is required to also release and then accelerate/ maneuver if required.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 20:33   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Using the transmission to hold a heavy car on an incline is best avoided, manual or automatic.
Thanks for explainer, I have no experience with Hill Hold Assist.

In my experience in extreme traffic there is no other way to hold a vehicle on a slope except to use the accelerator for a while after releasing the brakes, again I have only driven vehicles without Hill Hold so maybe with HHA it wouldnt be an issue.

On a separate note, people on the Carens whatsapp group have started getting sms's with a revised delivery time of 23 weeks increased from the 13-14 weeks earlier.
Anyone here got the same?.
Old 25th February 2022, 21:32   #480
BHPian

Quote:
My usage does not warrant a diesel, its only because the pricing of the both the automatics is the same and the issues with the DCT gearbox that I am even considering the diesel.

A video by Hyundai says that one should avoid using the accelerator to hold the vehicle while on a slope, how else does one hold a vehicle on a slope after releasing the brakes or do cars with Hill Hold work differently? The road to my house has a flyover which always has traffic there is no way to avoid using the accelerator to hold the car.

I booked on 15th of Feb, so its already been 10 days.
Hi Chirag,

Carens has both uphill and downhill hold controls that means it will hold the vehicle without creating any probability of either moving backwards or forward on inclines if the hold function is engaged however keeping foot on brake pedal and keeping the gear in D should anyway take care of the same. For AT gearboxes, generally rolling backwards on inclines is not an issue. Infact I am a little relieved to see Bunny Punia from 91 wheels trying Carens with full load on inclines and Carens performing as expected.

I feel that if you have booked Diesel AT you should stick with it, if You haven't and you are convinced with its performance based on your research and TD, you can always go ahead and make a new booking.

In modern diesel vehicles it doesn't matter whether your usage is high or low, both petrol as well as diesel (especially Hyundai/Kia) perform equally well.
achintatri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed